View Full Version : Dumped domesticated rabbits

Pete
05-07-2018, 06:25 AM
Some idiot decided to 'set free' two large domesticated rabbits in my cul-de-sac.

I did some research and found this is very cruel, as the animals cannot survive well on their own. Today, I noticed one of them was missing an eye and needs vet care.

I wrote an email to a rabbit rescue in Blanchard (the only local one I could find) but was hoping that others might have some advice.

They seem very sweet and scared and stay in my yard or that of my neighbors. I can get close but can't touch them.

I have to say, it's very upsetting. Would appreciate any advice or help.

rezman
05-07-2018, 06:35 AM
A friend of mine found one in her neighborhood last week as well. Actually it was her next door neighbor who found it outside their home, but they got it corralled and she took it in, and managed to find someone to take it within 2 days. I should see her tonight and will ask her for more details.

Pete
05-07-2018, 06:39 AM
A friend of mine found one in her neighborhood last week as well. Actually it was her next door neighbor who found it outside their home, but they got it corralled and she took it in, and managed to find someone to take it within 2 days. I should see her tonight and will ask her for more details.

Thanks!

I suppose it's the after-Easter effect where people think they are cute then don't want to care for them.

Dumping them is just as cruel as dumping a dog in the middle of nowhere... Maybe worse because rabbits are such easy prey.

BBatesokc
05-07-2018, 08:06 AM
We raise rabbits - have a house rabbit that is litter box trained. We've raised about a dozen over the years.

If you can catch them, I can take them until I can re-home them. When mine have gotten out (scaled the garden fence) we used a large live trap with great success. The one we have now is friendly enough though that it simply runs around the yard and then comes back to us when we call it.

Left on their own they won't make it long in the wild. Something will eat them or they will eat something that poisons them. They'll also be covered in ticks soon.

I have a live trap if you need to borrow one.

There are a few rabbit groups in the area where I'm certain one of their members would gladly adopt them.

Pete
05-07-2018, 08:33 AM
Thanks very much for the feedback.

I did hear back from Heartland Rabbit Rescue and the incredibly nice woman said that she and perhaps a voluteer will come out today and try and corral them and get them the help they need.

She said the best and most humane way is to bring over a blanket with lots of rabbit smells and they will be immediately drawn to it, then she can grab them and take them to the facility in Blanchard. The hope is they ultimately can be adopted. They are going to get a big donation from yours truly and I'll post more news later.

http://heartlandrabbitrescue.org/

Zuplar
05-07-2018, 05:42 PM
I always used to have rabbits when I was young. Hoping for a happy ending.

Pete
05-07-2018, 06:08 PM
The two of them were successfully rescued today by Heartland Rabbit Resuce.

I posted this on Facebook and a bunch of people have contributed to them, including me. They were wonderful and are always at capacity, especially after Easter.

And in an even bigger twist, KFOR and Lacey Lett are going to cover all this in a on-air story tomorrow. I'll post more about it in a bit.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/bunny1.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/bunny2.jpg

Urbanized
05-07-2018, 06:47 PM
They look freaking DELICIOUS.

OK, just kidding...good on you Pete for going to the effort to do something about this. Lots of people would have just shrugged and gone on with their day. I know it's been a tough pet year for you and I know that right now you are especially attuned to animals suffering. Damn whoever dumped them and I'm glad you and the rabbits found each other.

That's not to say that I don't love a good rabbit stew... ;)

Pete
05-07-2018, 07:06 PM
I am planning to find the breeder who dumped them and make sure he is put out of business.

OKCbyTRANSFER
05-07-2018, 07:26 PM
On a side note, my sister (back home) has a Rex rabbit (?) all black, and it's adorable. Never would have thought. Now if she could litter box train it...
Glad this worked out well so far

king183
05-07-2018, 07:45 PM
Those rabbits look huge and very nice.

Great job, Pete. I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to make sure they were taken care of and not left to suffer. Please keep us updated if you find the person who did this.

mugofbeer
05-07-2018, 08:53 PM
I am planning to find the breeder who dumped them and make sure he is put out of business.

If you do, I would be fascinated as to how you did it. Good luck!

Zuplar
05-07-2018, 09:34 PM
Glad to hear about a happy ending.

tfvc.org
05-07-2018, 09:38 PM

More than likely it isn't the breeder, it is like you said earlier easter bunnies who became unwanted and left to their own devices. Although the breeders do need to be more responsible in who they sell the rabbits to and not just give it to every Dick and Sally who wants a rabbit or two for their kids easter.

Pete
05-08-2018, 03:21 AM
More than likely it isn't the breeder, it is like you said earlier easter bunnies who became unwanted and left to their own devices. Although the breeders do need to be more responsible in who they sell the rabbits to and not just give it to every Dick and Sally who wants a rabbit or two for their kids easter.

I have some info that this was a relative of a neighbor who breeds rabbits for profit and that these were 'extras' that didn't sell for Easter, so he dumped them in our cul-de-sac.

BBatesokc
05-08-2018, 08:07 AM
This is how our bunny roles....

MadMonk
05-08-2018, 12:04 PM
In other news, the local coyote, owl, & hawk population is completely bummed out.

<JK!!!!> :wink:

Dustin
05-08-2018, 12:33 PM
This is how our bunny roles....

The dogs face... "I can't believe this rodent is getting more attention than me right now."

Pete
05-09-2018, 11:03 AM
BUNNY UPDATE 5/9/18 from Heartland Rabbit Rescue:

“The red bunny is a female. We named her Scarlett. Her eye and ears are badly infected and both have ear mites. She was badly dehydrated. Her eye is intact but there is damage to the eyelid. She will be on antibiotics and pain meds and fluids for quite a while but she should make it. The white bunny is a boy and in good shape other than the ear mites.”

When asked if her eye would be okay in the longer term:

“Yes she should be. We started her on antibiotics Monday and she got fluids and pain meds too. The vet cleaned around her eye and put antibiotic eye drops that also have pain meds in them and that will help a lot. The cornea has no damage so she should keep her sight in that eye. She is very weak and wobbly still but showing marked improvement.”

Sounds like they were rescued just in time! Keep in mind that Heartland came a far distance and within hours of me contacting them. They also spent a ton of time gently capturing them.

Lacey Lett of KFOR-TV has done some interviews and will soon be airing a story about Heartland and this particular saga. I'll post when I have the air date and time.

These two bunnies have already incurred significant vet bills. I made a sizable contribution to Heartland as have several others after reading about this on my Facebook page. If you are so inclined, please help them by donating here: http://heartlandrabbitrescue.org/how-can-i-help/

Also, they have a bunch of bunnies for adoption, especially now after Easter. Scarlet and the boy will also be ready for adoption down the road and I'll post when they are ready for a new home.

Laramie
05-09-2018, 11:51 AM
Good service you did for the rabbits Pete in that you acted swiftly knowing lost time didn't favor the survival of the bunnies.

As a 5 year old child, I brought home any 2 or 4 legged baby animal (birds, raccoons, armadillos...) when we stayed in Jones Prairie, Texas on mother's farm. One day I arrived with a baby skunk, as I came up the road from the distance my Aunt Willie Bell started screaming 'take that back to where you found it don't bring that thing up here,' luckily it jumped from my grip and ran back into the woods. I was so mad because they made me take a bath and it wasn't Saturday. :D Back in those days you took a bath it the tank (pond water reservoir) and we had a double-seater out house.