Opens May 22nd.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/julios042918a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/julios042918b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/julios042918c.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/julios042918d.jpg

ctchandler
05-01-2018, 09:00 PM
Pete,
Funny, I was fast forwarding my dvd while watching NCIS and noticed a commercial for Uncle Julio's. So, I looked it up and sure enough, there it is just East of the Ifly location. Anybody know anything about them. As a disabled person in an old folks home on 178th near Western, a place like this sounds interesting. Has this been discussed at all on OKCTalk? I haven't seen anything about it but the construction apparently is complete and opening in three weeks?
C. T.

sooner88
05-02-2018, 07:51 AM
I haven't been here in years, but we used to go in Ft. Worth in college. Their fajitas were some of the best I've had... I hope this location lives up to my memory.

rezman
05-02-2018, 09:09 AM
Hey C.T., We're practically neighbors then. I also stop in the Louie's and Upper Crust at that intersection on occasion.

ctchandler
05-02-2018, 08:39 PM
Hey C.T., We're practically neighbors then. I also stop in the Louie's and Upper Crust at that intersection on occasion.

Rezman,
Well, Louie's is .2 miles from me and I go there about four to five times a week. I always sit at the bar on the far West end and I go there on a mobility scooter so it's hard to miss me. I've only been to Upper Crust once. I don't eat out a lot since meals are provided here at the former Edmond Mansions that is now Silver Elms. If you come, look for me at the bar and I will buy you and yours a drink.
C. T.

rezman
05-03-2018, 09:09 AM
HA!... I walk my dog around the track at the school right behind there. .....Forgive me for going off topic by the way.

Debzkidz
05-04-2018, 05:22 PM
We’ve eaten at a couple of their DFW locations over the years, including one just last week. We really like it. I find it very similar to Pappasitos.

soonerguru
05-07-2018, 09:32 PM
I’m actually looking forward to this as OKC’s Tex-Mex offerings are fairly meager.

borchard
05-15-2018, 01:59 PM
My wife and I are very excited about this. Uncle Julio's is our favorite Tex Mex place in Dallas. We eat there EVERY time we go to the Metroplex.

Pete
05-15-2018, 02:43 PM
I'm going to a preview on Friday and will be sure take lots of photos.

It's a super cool setting, especially the large patio facing the small lake.

Rover
05-15-2018, 03:35 PM
Haven't been to an U. J. in awhile, but I seem to remember their margaritas and swirls fondly... and their shrimp fajitas.

mugofbeer
05-15-2018, 06:11 PM
Good Tex Mex! Miss it from when we lived in The DFW area. We got a Chueys coming in a few blocks from us that we're looking forward to for a Tex Mex fix

progressiveboy
05-15-2018, 06:38 PM
They do have great margaritas and swirls! The fajitas are really great! Very popular in DFW area. Quality food.

Pete
05-20-2018, 05:43 AM
Advance look at Oklahoma's first Uncle Juilo's (http://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r=500-Advance-look-at-Oklahoma-s-first-Uncle-Juilo-s)

Set for its grand opening on May 22nd, we got an advance look and taste at Uncle Julio's in Chisholm Creek.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/julios051818j.jpg

Originating in Dallas in 1986, the company now has over 30 locations in 8 states.

It's a slightly upscale version of Tex-Mex featuring fresh ingredients and many items made from scratch.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/julios051818ea.jpg

There is a large bar area with a wide selection of margaritas and other drinks, and a huge patio facing the lake and wrapping around to the south. The interior is beautifully finished.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/julios051818fa.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/julios051818g.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/julios051818i.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/julios051818h.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/julios051818o.jpg

We were able to sample from a limited menu and enjoy large portions of savory fajitas, freshly-made tortillas, quesadillas, guacamole, queso, chips and fire-roasted salsa.

Uncle Julio's is the first opening at The Pointe at Chisholm Creek, a collection of restaurants and future retail surrounding a small lake with LED-illuminated jet water features.

There is also a small amphiteather, a fire pit and extensive landscaping.

Soon to join Uncle Julio's is Firebirds (http://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r=448-Firebirds-to-open-first-OK-location-in-Chisholm-Creek), Birra Birra (http://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r=435-Proprietors-of-Hatch-Sidecar-and-Broadway-10-to-open-2-level-pizza-restaurant), Hopdoddy (http://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r=436-Hopdoddy-Burger-Bar-coming-to-Chisholm-Creek-and-Nichols-Hills) and Chalk (http://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r=476-High-end-sports-bar-coming-to-Memorial-Road), with a deal very near finished with Alamo Drafthouse (http://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r=478-Alamo-Drafthouse-planning-OKC-location) and several other restaurants and bars.

Immediately adjacent in Chisholm's Tract 30, Burn by Rocky Patel (http://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r=373-Uncle-Julio-s-BURN-Cigar-Lounge-Midici-Pizza-and-more-coming-to-Chisholm-Creek) will be opening soon.

Uncle Julio's opens Tuesday at 1334 W. Memorial. Reservations can be made through OpenTable.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/julios051818la.jpg

Dustin
05-20-2018, 08:09 AM
We were able to sample from a limited menu and enjoy large portions of savory fajitas, freshly-made tortillas, quesadillas, guacamole, queso, chips and fire-roasted salsa.

But was it any good?

Pete
05-20-2018, 08:13 AM
But was it any good?

VERY

I had never eaten at an UJ's before and was impressed.

Gorgeous spot and I had the carnitas fajitas and they were way more flavorful than standard places. For Tex-Mex, I think this is about as good as it gets but you pay more money for everything they have to offer, but to me it's worth it.

The patio faces east and is about half covered and then later in the day even the open-air space is in the shade. I can see lots of evenings hanging out there.

The Pointe development there (everything around that small lake) has really come together with lots of landscape, a sound system, etc. The other places are coming along fast. That whole development is going to generate a ton of business.

BoulderSooner
05-20-2018, 09:50 AM
I was able to try this place the other night as well. The fajitas were fantastic the roasted tomato salsa was fresh and full of smoky flavor. We also were able to try the piņata desert which was maybe enough for 8-10. A hard chocolate ball hung on a hook over a tray of whip cream Carmel and chocolate. You bust it open and churros and fruit fall out. It was very good and would make a great group dessert

Pete
05-22-2018, 12:46 PM
A reminder that Uncle Julio's opened today.

They take reservations through OpenTable.

Zuplar
05-22-2018, 02:14 PM
I like that this place looks slightly more upscale than a typical Mexican restaurant. I may have to try this out next time I'm on the North side.

Thomas Vu
05-22-2018, 04:59 PM
They're the ones with the fresh moving guac station, right?

Easy180
05-22-2018, 05:16 PM
I was able to try this place the other night as well. The fajitas were fantastic the roasted tomato salsa was fresh and full of smoky flavor. We also were able to try the piņata desert which was maybe enough for 8-10. A hard chocolate ball hung on a hook over a tray of whip cream Carmel and chocolate. You bust it open and churros and fruit fall out. It was very good and would make a great group dessert

We got that dessert last year in Grapevine. The presentation and product makes it worth the lofty price so I highly recommend it for special occasions.

soonerguru
05-23-2018, 01:36 PM
We are excited to try it out and will report back. Despite so many restaurants offering “Tex-Mex” items, OKC’s options pale in comparison to those in DFW, Austin and San Antonio. I’m hoping for something that is a better approximation of the good stuff.

jonny d
05-23-2018, 01:46 PM
We are excited to try it out and will report back. Despite so many restaurants offering “Tex-Mex” items, OKC’s options pale in comparison to those in DFW, Austin and San Antonio. I’m hoping for something that is a better approximation of the good stuff.

You do realize the irony in your critique, right? 3 of those areas are not like the 4th.

Joe Kimball
05-23-2018, 04:48 PM
There may be irony in a scholastic sense, but I'm willing to bet that cities such as Chicago or Atlanta have good food that approximates the Mexican cuisine served in Texas.

I tried to go last night with a buddy and wasn't surprised to see an hour wait. I'm going to try again tonight.

MikeLucky
05-23-2018, 05:11 PM
Have reservations for tonight. Looking forward to it.

moose
05-24-2018, 03:35 PM
It's already the best Mexican choice in OKC.

MikeLucky
05-24-2018, 03:59 PM
Food was good, drinks were great, patio and atmosphere were awesome. Tableside guac was fun and can't wait to get the chocolate pinata dessert but I need to take a crowd with me. Lol

It's not for the light of wallet, but it'll be a huge hit. A margarita and a swirl was $30... 2 beers was $14. Then we got our table and had the tableside guac, I had the regular chicken and steak fajitas, wife had the ahi tuna salad, and one more beer... That was 70, so just under $120 total. But, it was really a nice night out.

I'm ready to go back on a weekend for the lobster, chicken, and steak fajitas. The food wasn't what I'd call particularly authentic, but it was all very high quality and tasty. Add in the patio and atmosphere and it's a huge win.

SSEiYah
05-25-2018, 11:27 PM
I ate at a location in Dallas a few years, great Fajitas. Cant wait to try the location here.

David
05-26-2018, 12:51 PM
Tried it yesterday for lunch, the steak & chicken fajitas I had were pretty good. The steak was more rare than I normally see in beef fajitas, but that wasn't a bad thing.

Got there around 1:50, ended up having a 30 minute wait for a table.

Bits_Of_Real_Panther
05-26-2018, 07:35 PM
So its better than Ted's, is that the consensus?

chuck5815
05-26-2018, 09:25 PM

i've talked with several folks who were rather disappointed. the regular queso (not the cowboy version) was apparently an unmitigated disaster on opening night. you know what i'm talking about--that thick film of goo on the top of the queso that demands a good 20 second stir by someone strong.

others said it was pretty good, but I think Uncle Julio's is like anything else where hype is involved. reality almost never matches expectations.

MikeLucky
05-26-2018, 10:41 PM
If you are judging a Mexican restaurant on the queso, then you are absolutely missing the point. And, it also kind of highlights the low expectations many Oklahomans have for Mexican food. If you give them free queso they'll typically put up with crap food to follow it.

Here's the most definitive thing I can say about this question. My wife goes out of her way to avoid eating at Ted's. Tonight she decided we were getting Uncle Julio's to-go for our second meal from there this week. And, just going to pick it up, I was amazed at how vibrant and exciting the restaurant was. Again, just a homerun for Chisolm Creek and for OKC.

SOONER8693
05-27-2018, 06:17 AM
If you are judging a Mexican restaurant on the queso, then you are absolutely missing the point. And, it also kind of highlights the low expectations many Oklahomans have for Mexican food. If you give them free queso they'll typically put up with crap food to follow it.

Here's the most definitive thing I can say about this question. My wife goes out of her way to avoid eating at Ted's. Tonight she decided we were getting Uncle Julio's to-go for our second meal from there this week. And, just going to pick it up, I was amazed at how vibrant and exciting the restaurant was. Again, just a homerun for Chisolm Creek and for OKC.
We avoid Ted's at all cost. It is way over-priced blandness. Way better Mexican and Tex-Mex options in OKC than Ted's.

chuck5815
05-27-2018, 07:25 AM

How so? At any Tex-Mex place, you spend half of your time at the table eating queso while you wait for your entrees to arrive. The queso sets the stage for the rest of the meal. It is effectively the first impression on the patrons. Even a few ounces of bad queso can ruin an otherwise fantastic meal.

And my understanding is that the queso at UJ's is not free. So folks would understandably have higher expectations than they might at a place like Ted's where the queso is free.

Ginkasa
05-27-2018, 08:02 AM
I experienced the, uh, "film" on the queso as well, but after simply stirring it was far and away better than any queso you'd get at Ted's. While I'm down for some quasi-cheese water that is typically served at Ted's and other similar tex-mex restaurants, the queso at Uncle Julio's was not that. It was more definitely made from real cheese and was by far richer and more flavorful than the more common cheese water. I probably prefer the queso fundido that's been popping up in a few places, but I was pleased it. Even if I was concerned with the queso, the fantastic and free salsa as well as the thick guacamole would have more than made up for it.

Also, the main course was really good as well which is always, to my mind, going to be more important to my overall experience than the chips and queso.

Rover
05-27-2018, 08:39 AM

And way more expensive?

marky_d
05-27-2018, 08:45 AM
I'm curious. What does the queso (and guac) set you back?

MikeLucky
05-27-2018, 09:48 AM
I'm curious. What does the queso (and guac) set you back?

The tableside guac is around $12. A regular side of guac is something like $6.99. We didn't have queso either time, but I believe it was in the $6.99 range as well.

Motley
05-27-2018, 10:24 AM
Isn't the free queso cheese sauce served around here a uniquely Oklahoma thing? I don't recall receiving free queso anywhere else. In most Texas Mexican restaurants, they charge for queso, but it is straight melted cheese and not a sauce of cheese melted into a beurre blanc base.

MikeLucky
05-27-2018, 11:14 AM
Isn't the free queso cheese sauce served around here a uniquely Oklahoma thing? I don't recall receiving free queso anywhere else. In most Texas Mexican restaurants, they charge for queso, but it is straight melted cheese and not a sauce of cheese melted into a beurre blanc base.

It's very much an Oklahoma thing. It's also why many local Tex Mex and Mexican restaurants just throw crappy cheese water at people because they have to since most Oklahomans judge these places on that very thing. I, personally, would much rather pay for good queso and would definitely rather have great actual food rather than just be placated with free queso.

TheTravellers
05-27-2018, 02:11 PM
https://www.thelostogle.com/2018/05/17/ode-to-the-tex-mex-set-up/

Motley
05-27-2018, 03:05 PM
I fondly remember El Chico due to the pickled carrots and onions on the table and complimentary hot corn tortillas at the start. Most of the neighborhood Taquerias around San Diego have a salsa bar with carrots and onions. Chips are not usually complimentary though unless specifically part of your meal. The old Ninfa's in Houston et al. had awesome pickled carrots and onions. Maybe not how I judge a great Mexican place, but it can be an important part of the mix.

I once read in Texas Monthly, the judge of a good Mexican restaurant are the cheese enchiladas.

ctchandler
05-28-2018, 09:41 AM
I am having problems viewing their menu online. I get to the point they want me to select a location, makes sense, it probably varies some at each location, but I can't figure out how to select Oklahoma City (or any other location for that matter). Any suggestions?
C. T.
Forget it, by searching for Uncle Julio's okc it took me to a link that was the Oklahoma City link and the menu is available at that point.

soonerguru
05-28-2018, 10:11 AM
I can recommend this place for its drinks, atmosphere, salsa, and wonderful table-side guacamole. We evaluate Tex-Mex food based on the classics, such as cheese enchiladas. On this front Julio’s fell a bit short. They don’t use much carne, smother in cheese, and go overboard on the onions. While my wife’s appeared to come straight out of the blast oven, mine had clearly been sitting under the heat lamp. Pretty disappointing. The beef enchilada my wife ordered, however, was tasty and we enjoyed the Tex-Mex tacos.

One thing to note, making “reservations” is a misnomer. They are not really reservations but line boosters to put you ahead of walk-ins. Not a very impressive experience.

We will return in a month or so when the traffic dies down a bit and try other items on the menu.

MikeLucky
05-28-2018, 12:41 PM
I can recommend this place for its drinks, atmosphere, salsa, and wonderful table-side guacamole. We evaluate Tex-Mex food based on the classics, such as cheese enchiladas. On this front Julio’s fell a bit short. They don’t use much carne, smother in cheese, and go overboard on the onions. While my wife’s appeared to come straight out of the blast oven, mine had clearly been sitting under the heat lamp. Pretty disappointing. The beef enchilada my wife ordered, however, was tasty and we enjoyed the Tex-Mex tacos.

One thing to note, making “reservations” is a misnomer. They are not really reservations but line boosters to put you ahead of walk-ins. Not a very impressive experience.

We will return in a month or so when the traffic dies down a bit and try other items on the menu.

Hmm.... We went again last night. Had 9pm reservations, but got there at 8 for drinks on the patio. By 850 we were at our table having tableside guac made. Maybe it helped it was later than the typical rush.

moose
06-04-2018, 11:49 AM

Without a doubt better. Ted's is the feed trough for Oklahoma's obese....bland but filling.

Rover
06-04-2018, 12:30 PM
If you eat at UJ's you have taste and won't get fat. Only cheap fat people with no taste eat at Teds. Good to know.

It IS possible to say positive things about UJ without insulting everyone who eats at Teds. Here's the truth... everyone would love to eat at better restaurants but can't always afford it. To take a family of 4 out to eat at Teds cost WAY less than UJ. UJ SHOULD be better. Not everyone can afford $15 drinks and more expensive food. Ted's fills a niche and does it well. UJ has their market and it isn't the same as Ted's.

Roger S
06-04-2018, 12:33 PM

Yes... Cheeze jelly is very much unique to central Oklahoma and really got it's start in OKC... It's called Cheeze jelly because their is no Z in cheese and no cheese in Cheeze jelly..... Back in the day it was actually made with pasteurized processed cheese product like Velveeta but when the prices on that went up they had to find alternatives to placate the masses without going bankrupt.

Rover
06-04-2018, 12:53 PM
Though UJ's is a nicer Tex Mex restaurant and a great addition here, OKC still doesn't have a real, authentic, upscale MEXICAN restaurant. It would be nice if we could get one to open here.

Pete
06-04-2018, 12:59 PM
Though UJ's is a nicer Tex Mex restaurant and a great addition here, OKC still doesn't have a real, authentic, upscale MEXICAN restaurant. It would be nice if we could get one to open here.

Barrios isn't authentic but it is very nice.

TheTravellers
06-04-2018, 01:43 PM

My dream - Rick Bayless comes back to OKC and opens up a Frontera/Topolobampo equivalent.

Rover
06-04-2018, 02:06 PM
My dream - Rick Bayless comes back to OKC and opens up a Frontera/Topolobampo equivalent.

This x 1000

catch22
06-04-2018, 03:10 PM
If you eat at UJ's you have taste and won't get fat. Only cheap fat people with no taste eat at Teds. Good to know.

It IS possible to say positive things about UJ without insulting everyone who eats at Teds. Here's the truth... everyone would love to eat at better restaurants but can't always afford it. To take a family of 4 out to eat at Teds cost WAY less than UJ. UJ SHOULD be better. Not everyone can afford $15 drinks and more expensive food. Ted's fills a niche and does it well. UJ has their market and it isn't the same as Ted's.

This doesn’t happen much but I agree with Rover. :) I hate how spiteful people are of other’s tastes or their ability or willingness to pay for more expensive food. The “tolerant” people seem the least tolerant of others choices when it comes to where they live or what they eat.

HangryHippo
06-04-2018, 03:16 PM
This got me thinking - there's probably not many, but I wonder what keeps the native sons (Rick Bayless, Danny Bowien, etc.) from throwing some love OKC's way with some of these concepts?

Rover
06-04-2018, 03:51 PM
This got me thinking - there's probably not many, but I wonder what keeps the native sons (Rick Bayless, Danny Bowien, etc.) from throwing some love OKC's way with some of these concepts?

I believe that at one time where Hefner Grille now is was a Latin American restaurant whose owner/chef was a protege of Rick Bayless. The food was authentic and good and the atmosphere was upscale as I recall. It would probably be a hit now, but just couldn't find a big enough base here at that time. Back then I think people thought mole sauce was from a varment and if it wasn't fried and with cheese it wasn't Mexican. We have progressed a lot in that regard.

sooner88
06-04-2018, 03:58 PM
I believe that at one time where Hefner Grille now is was a Latin American restaurant whose owner/chef was a protege of Rick Bayless. The food was authentic and good and the atmosphere was upscale as I recall. It would probably be a hit now, but just couldn't find a big enough base here at that time. Back then I think people thought mole sauce was from a varment and if it wasn't fried and with cheese it wasn't Mexican. We have progressed a lot in that regard.

Cabo del Sol

Rover
06-04-2018, 04:01 PM
Cabo del Sol

Thank you. That's it.

foodiefan
06-04-2018, 04:30 PM
Cabo del Sol

. . .pretty sure the Chef was Kamala Gamble. She is still very active in the food world in OKC.

Rover
06-04-2018, 04:48 PM
Where is she now.

Urbanized
06-04-2018, 05:17 PM
^^^^^^^^
http://kamskookery.com/guilford-gardens/