View Full Version : Graham Central Station

OU Adonis
04-23-2018, 10:11 AM
Sad - I wasn't a huge fan but its a landmark in OKC.

Ward
04-23-2018, 10:24 AM
Wow. Been there almost forever. What memories.

OU Adonis
04-23-2018, 10:29 AM
It was announced on facebook and I haven't seen it picked up by any news types yet. I guess its been there for 37 years and Mathis Brothers owns the rest of that strip mall section so I doubt we will see another bar in its place.

kukblue1
04-24-2018, 06:24 PM
I haven't been to Graham's or Cowboys. Moved here not that long ago though. I guess Cowboys will get some of the business? Which one was better? Is there something else for country music?

Pete
04-25-2018, 05:59 AM
I know it's been in operation a long time, but wasn't it located elsewhere originally?

Urbanized
04-25-2018, 06:19 AM
It’s been in the current location since at least the 80s, though not certain when it first opened. I’ve only been a couple of times, but once (and the most recent visit) was in ‘98 or ‘99 with a co-worker who had at one time been the general manager. He was welcomed like a conquering hero and we had the run of the place, including large swaths of space that had been closed off for years. I remember one lavish room with a fireplace and massive pit group that was being used for storage and maybe also as an office.

He had some crazy stories about the heyday. Based on the stories I would guess he was talking about the early eighties at the latest, because it was pure oil boom stuff, including people flying in from all over the country in private planes just to party there.

rezman
04-25-2018, 06:21 AM
^ I've always known it to be located on that corner, but then I've never stepped a foot in there the whole time it has been there. I believe Mathis Bros owns that whole strip center, and the gas station across the street. I can see them knocking Grahams down and putting another furniture store or other type of retail right on the corner.

OKCRT
04-25-2018, 06:45 AM
^ I've always known it to be located on that corner, but then I've never stepped a foot in there the whole time it has been there. I believe Mathis Bros owns that whole strip center, and the gas station across the street. I can see them knocking Grahams down and putting another furniture store or other type of retail right on the corner.

Pretty sure it started out just to the west of the current location in a smaller building. Maybe was there for a yr or two before moving. I knew a DJ (Stonecipher) that worked there in the early years after they moved into current location. That place would be packed full back in those days. Not my cup of tea but it was booming.

BBatesokc
04-25-2018, 09:27 AM
Haven't been there in years. When I taught bartending we'd often take the class on the last night to either the Copa or Graham's (yeah, you can't get bigger opposites).

Not really my type of place. Always felt like a fight could break out at any moment. The crowd really changed over the years and could be quite varied on any given night - which would often result in physical altercations. Big place though and a landmark.

Pete
11-25-2019, 12:01 PM
They are demolishing the part of the building where Graham's was located.

Not sure what will take its place.