View Full Version : Plaza District festival

metro
10-17-2005, 02:34 PM
Just wondering if anyone else made it to the Plaza District festival this weekend. It was a very enlightening experience. Defintely alot of diversity, Asians, Hispanics, African American's, whites, gypsies, Native American's. There was alot of local art, some with some serious talent. I missed the parade but heard it was a blast, included dancers of different cultures as well as a chinese dragon parade.

floater
10-17-2005, 02:48 PM
I arrived after the Chinese Dragon dancers performed. It was a terrific scene of diversity. There were classic cars, nice art booths, and indian taco booth, live music and cultural performances. I also discovered the cool businesses there -- Chinese food convenience mart, a Hispanic-owned gift and dry goods shop, dance schools, etc. Lyric Theater has school there too. All along an attractive street of buildings. Plaza is a real district within a real neighborhood.

metro
10-17-2005, 02:55 PM
A hidden secret is that Carey Place, a cool sub-district in the area, is just two blocks north of the Plaza district

floater
10-17-2005, 02:59 PM
I may have passed while driving through Gatewood. I'll have to check it out again! But for the rest of us, what establishments there?

metro
10-17-2005, 03:04 PM
It wouldnt be fun if I told you, go check it out!

floater
10-17-2005, 04:59 PM
It wouldnt be fun if I told you, go check it out!

Ah jeez, I guess "hidden" does mean we have to discover it for ourselves....

escan
10-18-2005, 02:15 PM
I LOVE Cary Place....it's my favorite street in OKC>!

metro
10-04-2007, 07:51 AM
It's that time of year again for the annual Plaza District Festival. Sounds like this year is going to be bigger and better than ever. I've been going the last several years and it keeps getting better and it is an undiscovered gem in OKC's art community.

http://www.urbanpioneers.net/images/490_PLAZA_FESTIVAL_poster_2007.jpg

Festival attendees will once again enjoy live music, dance, art, and international foods at the 10th annual Plaza District Festival “LIVE! On the Plaza” Saturday, October 13 at N.W. 16th Street between Indiana and Gatewood Ave. The festival will kick off at noon with colorful Chinese Dragon Dancers and a children’s balloon release. Festival activities will continue until 7:00 p.m. The Plaza Festival provides an opportunity for the community to celebrate the area’s cultural diversity and artistic talent.

The Sugar Free Allstars (Sugar Free Allstars (http://www.sugarfreeallstars.com)) will perform a free concert on the plaza at 5:30 p.m. Throughout the day, audiences will enjoy a variety of free dance and musical performances, including Mexico Folkloric, hip hop, salsa, ballroom dancing, belly dancing, and musical theater. During the festival, there will also be a gallery show at PhotoArt Studios and wine tasting from several Oklahoma wineries, including Grape Ranch and Tres Sueños. Locally-brewed beer will be provided by Belle Isle Brewery.

Fabulous new additions this year will include:

"Art in Action" where children and adults can learn from professional artists and create their own works of art!
A gallery exhibit and sale by Sonarta - connecting art enthusiasts and artists through social networking and art activites, and
"Artomotive" where a team of artists will decorate an "art car" during this year's event! Then be sure to look for this Plaza District Art Car in the new Ghouls Gone Wild Halloween Parade led by Wayne Coyne of the Flaming Lips!

Proceeds from the festival help to support the Plaza District Association’s inner city revitalization efforts. The Plaza District is a Main Street Project and new home of Lyric Theatre, including the recently dedicated Thelma Gaylord Academy.

For more information, contact: Susan Hogan, Executive Director, (405) 824-3066, soulehogan@coxinet.net .

The Plaza District Association
1708 NW 16th St
Oklahoma City, OK 73106
soulehogan@coxinet.net

Oklahoma City Plaza District (http://www.urbanpioneers.net/)

Andy1807
10-04-2007, 09:29 AM
The wife and I will probably walk down for a little while.

What's going on over there by the dance studio? A lot of work appears to be taking place.

metro
10-04-2007, 09:34 AM
I heard some sort of interactive modern art studio was opening on the far west end. Perhaps that is it?

metro
10-09-2007, 08:10 AM
Just a reminder this great event is this weekend!