View Full Version : Big Slide for Kids around Grant HS

Cohiba
04-14-2018, 06:59 AM
Hey All....

When I was a kid 6-8 years old(1969-71) my family would drive up to OKC and we'd visit my great grandmother. I remember my sister and I going down a large(wavy?) slide on the Southside of OKC and I have in my mind it was South(or somewhere close) of Grant HS. I don't remember any other rides or attractions but just that big slide.

I think there were several 4-6 slides attached and was there a gunny sack to ride on down the slide?

Thanks for the help and opening up my memories.

SoonerDave
04-15-2018, 09:39 AM
The great Giant Slide was on the east side of Western about halfway between SW 59th and I-240...not too far away from Moore's SkateaRena. It was a wonderful place we visited many times during the summers until it closed....and a stinking carwash went in its place.

A nearly identical slide was at the Fairgrounds for years until it was pulled in the name of (pointless) progress, and a HUGE one used to be in place at the base of the oil Derrick attraction at Six Flags over Texas. I'm guessing legal/insurance liabilities made them too great a risk. Shame.

Bill Robertson
04-15-2018, 04:37 PM
There was a similar one just west of NW 39th and May on the north side of 39th.

Sharona21
04-18-2018, 07:05 PM
You are right, Bill. I remember that slide well. And I also remember when we worked together at Hames Electric. So many years ago.

Northwest Classen grad named Brad H.
Later.

Tavia
04-21-2018, 12:49 PM
The slide was directly across from the Skate-A-Rama in Okc. It was next door to the Putt Putt place.

btmec
05-05-2018, 07:20 AM
Wow I vaguely remember this. I remember doing it once with my dad. I had completely forgot about it until now. I wish there were some photos.

sacolton
08-03-2019, 12:51 PM
Did you slide down on a burlap bag or some type of blanket?

Sharona21
08-03-2019, 01:52 PM
Yes, if a gunny sack is the same as a burlap bag, that is what was used. :D