View Full Version : Can anyone assist me with this issue?

Bobby821
04-11-2018, 05:22 PM
I have a question if anyone would know how to help me out with this. I suspect I have some LTE interferance on 2 of my channels in Oklahoma City Zip Code is 73160. I get all channels fine except in the evenings sometimes I get random pixilzation on channels 5 and 13 which operate in the VHF frequency band, All my other channels are in UHF band. I am in between 2 cell phone towers on my street both are less than a mile away. So thinking this was my issue I purchased the Channel Master LTE filter and put it on today everything comes in fine with it installed except the VHF channels 5 and 13 which the filter totally traps out the signal. I have a rooftop antenna that has the main line running down into a drop box on the back of my house where all my antenna wires come into for 3 tv's that are hooked in to a 3 way splitter. I installed the LTE filter using the short piece of RG6 cable comming off the ground block and then screwed the other end of the filter into the input on the splitter. Does anyone know of an LTE filter out there that will not block the VHF band or the UHF television band? I used to ba a cable installer and I have some old cable traps but not sure what frequencies they trap out either so they probabbly wont work to try and trap out the LTE band and leave the VHF and UHF band in. Any help would be appreciated..

scottk
04-12-2018, 08:13 PM
I'm not an engineer, but, most Cellular bands are in the 850, 900, 1800, and 1900 mhz frequency bands. KOCO and OETA are on VHF as you mentioned, KOCO on 7 (Virtual 5) and OETA/KETA on 13.

I would guess if you are struggling to receive these channels, but seem to get UHF channels fine, it may be as simple as your type of antenna mounted outside. Some of the newer antennas favor UHF since that is the majority of where DTV channels are now located. The wavelength received by your antenna may favor the UHF, vs VHF. The higher the wavelength the "smaller"the wave, which tend to get into buildings better, VHF tends to be a wide wavelength that goes a greater distance, but struggles at time with interference. This is similar to FM signals located next to the spectrum of DTV 6, if there are obstructions in the way, the signal can break up quite easily. Since DTV is pretty much all or nothing, compared to analog FM, your signal drops and pixelates.

Another thing to look at would be your cable splitters and the frequencies they accept and pass through. If you disconnect the splitter and go straight into one TV, is the signal still dropping out? If not, the problem may be in the type of splitter.

Finally, if there is any sort of amplifier on the antenna itself or within your setup, that could also be causing issues and it may be over compensating/over powering the VHF signals. Most houses in the OKC metro may actually receive DTV signals better with just a basic pair of rabbit ears since the tower farm is located so close to the center of the city and nearly all of the signals are coming from one direction. OKC is much easier for antenna aiming, vs Tulsa, where the DTV signals are coming from all directions from the main affiliates.

Since your zip code is south OKC/Moore, a lot of the signals from the tower farm are going right through downtown Oklahoma City. You also mentioned time of day with interference, the ionosphere could be causing issues if those UHF frequencies are causing signal propagation.

BLJR
04-16-2018, 07:41 AM
I don't know where exactly you live in this zip code, but near Santa Fe and 12th street in Moore, the OKCPD police helicopter radio has always had issues in that area. If your not close to that area, then it may not relate.

SoonerDave
04-16-2018, 11:41 AM
I have a question if anyone would know how to help me out with this. I suspect I have some LTE interferance on 2 of my channels in Oklahoma City Zip Code is 73160. I get all channels fine except in the evenings sometimes I get random pixilzation on channels 5 and 13 which operate in the VHF frequency band, All my other channels are in UHF band. I am in between 2 cell phone towers on my street both are less than a mile away. So thinking this was my issue I purchased the Channel Master LTE filter and put it on today everything comes in fine with it installed except the VHF channels 5 and 13 which the filter totally traps out the signal. I have a rooftop antenna that has the main line running down into a drop box on the back of my house where all my antenna wires come into for 3 tv's that are hooked in to a 3 way splitter. I installed the LTE filter using the short piece of RG6 cable comming off the ground block and then screwed the other end of the filter into the input on the splitter. Does anyone know of an LTE filter out there that will not block the VHF band or the UHF television band? I used to ba a cable installer and I have some old cable traps but not sure what frequencies they trap out either so they probabbly wont work to try and trap out the LTE band and leave the VHF and UHF band in. Any help would be appreciated..

Channel 5 has always been a problematic OTA reception beast. Not only are they VHF, they have to attenuate their signal due to their regional proximity to, I believe, KSWO in Lawton. So you're not alone :)