View Full Version : Help on a restaustant and it's chef..with commercials

Cohiba
04-08-2018, 09:52 AM
Hey All!!! First post for me...but not the last-YEA!!!:cool:

I need some help on clearing my mind!! Every time I drive by this restaurant(now closed and changed owners) it drives me NUTS....Nuts I tell you, on the name of the restaurant and the chef who did commercials for it. :noldus:

Description: The restaurant is in the North East corner of Meridian and Reno. It is East of what is now On The Border restaurant and sits abandoned.

The restaurant in question was open when Kip's Big Boy(now On the Border) was open. Commercials for the restaurant were on tv...I'm guessing in the mid to late eighties-nineties? I remember a man in a chef coat advertising the restaurant. From the road-Reno...it looked nice to moderately upscale, it has changed several times and sits abandoned.

Help!!!!!

Thanks....:Smiley036

Bill Robertson
04-08-2018, 11:14 AM
That building has been lots of things. I could be wrong but I think originally it was Applewoods.

Buffalo Bill
04-08-2018, 11:24 AM
Hey All!!! First post for me...but not the last-YEA!!!:cool:

I need some help on clearing my mind!! Every time I drive by this restaurant(now closed and changed owners) it drives me NUTS....Nuts I tell you, on the name of the restaurant and the chef who did commercials for it. :noldus:

Description: The restaurant is in the North East corner of Meridian and Reno. It is East of what is now On The Border restaurant and sits abandoned.

The restaurant in question was open when Kip's Big Boy(now On the Border) was open. Commercials for the restaurant were on tv...I'm guessing in the mid to late eighties-nineties? I remember a man in a chef coat advertising the restaurant. From the road-Reno...it looked nice to moderately upscale, it has changed several times and sits abandoned.

Help!!!!!

Thanks....:Smiley036

Sullivan's or Sullys Cafe?

Cohiba
04-08-2018, 12:08 PM
^^^^^I believe that‘s it......Sullivan !!!!!

Roger S
04-08-2018, 01:26 PM
Sullivan's or Sullys Cafe?

Yeah... Sounds like those.

ctchandler
04-08-2018, 09:03 PM
I believe Sullivan's is what you are thinking of. They had some connection with Nomad II and they served Sussy's pizza. When they closed, Nomad II was the only place left that sold Sussy's pizza.
C. T.

cindycat
04-08-2018, 09:21 PM
Back before liquor by the drink in Oklahoma, R.L. Sullivan's would have wine tastings. They would charge $5 for cheese and crackers, then "give" us the wine.

rezman
04-09-2018, 06:03 AM
That building has been lots of things. I could be wrong but I think originally it was Applewoods.

Wasn't Applewoods tucked back in there off the southeast corner, east of the McDonalds? .. Was originally the Velvet Dove when it first opened. ... I helped with the HVA when it was being built.

Bill Robertson
04-09-2018, 08:54 AM
Wasn't Applewoods tucked back in there off the southeast corner, east of the McDonalds? .. Was originally the Velvet Dove when it first opened. ... I helped with the HVA when it was being built.That could be. I know it was near that corner.

Pete
04-09-2018, 09:06 AM
This ad was from Feb 1980:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/sullivans.jpg

SoonerDave
04-12-2018, 04:58 AM
Wasn't Applewoods tucked back in there off the southeast corner, east of the McDonalds? .. Was originally the Velvet Dove when it first opened. ... I helped with the HVA when it was being built.

The *original* Applewoods was in a rustic, stylish wood-trimmed structure right off Reno, then moved to the location you're talking about just off a small business/industrial park. It wasn't nearly as nice an atmosphere or as nice a facility. We used to go to their Sunday brunch fairly often. It was terrific. They had squabbles with the owner of the building about the condition of the building and moved to a location on Memorial Road, but it didn't last long.

SoonerDave
04-12-2018, 05:00 AM
This ad was from Feb 1980:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/sullivans.jpg

I worked at ChiChi's during this time and Sullivan's was A Big Deal back then. There was a waitlist to be a busboy or server because the pay and reputation of the place were so good.