View Full Version : Downtownguy/ downtown projects

metro
10-17-2005, 11:08 AM
I was asked by downtownguy to do a guest column. Unfortunately the future of the site is in question and I have been asked to post on here for the time being. Encourage downtownguy to revive his much admired site. Thanks downtownguy for giving me the opportunity to write. The following is my guest article:

Well folks, I have been generously asked by the downtownguy himself to do a guest column. That's right, no more sadness, Steven Newlon has graciously accepted this task. When pondering what to write about, I thought what better to write about than the future progress of downtown OKC. Most of these projects have not been unofficially or officially announced but will hopefully continue to inspire the "Renaissance Spirit."

One task well under way that will be phased in 3 stages is the forgotten Old Trolley District or sometimes referred to as the Trolley Track district. This area is bordered by I-40 on the South, NW 36th to the North, Meridian on the West and I-44 on the East. The first phase is well underway and includes district signage such as the ones in Automobile Alley or the Deep Deuce area. The project will also include some period lighting. This will hopefully bring new character and life to a forgotten and somewhat dilapidated area. I will hopefully post some pictures in the near future.

More retail is in store for the CBD, particularly the Deep Deuce area. In the next few weeks, look for the opening of LIT fashion, a clothing and shoe store. This will be their second metro location.

In this general vicinity (around 8th and Oklahoma), also look for what appears to be the first, privately funded residential home downtown, without the help of Urban Renewal or outside investors.

Let us not forget the Oklahoma River area which is ripe for future development. The American Indian Cultural Center has broken ground and will have the official historic Ground Blessing Ceremony on Tuesday, Nov. 1 st between 2:30-6:30pm. Volunteers are needed, if interested please contact Shoshana Waserman at 239-3270. The Kerr McGee bell tower will be getting under way on the river shortly as well. Additionally, look for some private investment from local corporations as well as non-profits to head towards the river, probably starting in the Chesapeake Boathouse area. Improvements will include lighting on trails, wi-fi, aesthetic improvements such as flowers and landscaping, benches, trash receptacles, exercise equipment, as well as "adopt-a-space" type projects for cleaning up trash, etc.

In closing, I encourage you promote identity within our city and to attend this weekends Plaza District Festival, Sat. Oct. 15th from 3-9pm at NW 16th and Classen. There will be multi-cultural parades with Chinese Dragons, dancers, antique cars, as well as tons of things to do and see. This is our chance to shine OKC, and prove to the world we are ready for major-league status and can provide a good cultural experience after the games end. I hope you have enjoyed my commentary and hopefully I will be invited for more in the future if you deem valuable. Thanks and God Bless.

Steven Newlon

Karried
10-17-2005, 11:18 AM
Metro, great choice for an article... I do hope people will make time to go Downtown and support our city.

I'm getting excited about the upcoming Winter activities ( although at 90 degrees, it's hard to visualize ice skating!) but before we know it, the time will come and we'll be bundled up drinking hot chocolate, checking out the lights downtown... can't wait.

floater
10-17-2005, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the report. That Old Trolley Line development is complete news to me. How cool that inner city OKC is developing along with downtown. Also glad to see those trail improvements along the river, especially the equipment shops. The river developers should always be think about how to make the trails and other features as easy to use as possible.

Hey metro, do you have any news on the oyster bar in Auto Alley? At the least, which building it will be in?

metro
10-17-2005, 03:07 PM
floater, I have to save some things to write about in case people want me to do another article

floater
10-17-2005, 04:58 PM
floater, I have to save some things to write about in case people want me to do another article

To quote Patrick, I think we're all going through downtownguy withdrawal. Of course we'd like to see another article! Whenever you can!

metro
10-18-2005, 07:49 AM
If I get enough requests, maybe I will . Encourage downtownguy as well.

jdsplaypin
10-18-2005, 06:23 PM
Well here's my request

John
10-18-2005, 06:40 PM
Well here's my request

I second that!

okrednk
10-19-2005, 02:48 AM
Make that a third.

upisgr8
10-19-2005, 07:14 AM
Wonderful report, Keep up the good work. :yourock:

BDP
10-19-2005, 09:19 AM
I want more, too.

metro
10-19-2005, 09:44 AM
Sounds like I may have to make my own blogsite or at least come up with another article, I just found out some more exciting unannounced projects this morning!

Patrick
10-19-2005, 02:57 PM
Bring it on.

Luke
10-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Oh come on, don't do this to us! :)

Karried
10-19-2005, 04:27 PM
metro, you are such a tease!! Point the way and we'll come and see your blog...