View Full Version : Armory

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ross MacLochness
03-22-2018, 08:41 AM
I saw a tweet from the Journal Record that there have been proposals to redevelop this complex. I don't have access but here it is http://journalrecord.com/2018/03/21/2-groups-submit-proposals-for-23rd-street-armory-building/ It's exciting that folks are interested in redeveloping this property. Does anyone have any info?

sooner88
03-22-2018, 08:43 AM
http://newsok.com/23rd-street-armory-in-oklahoma-city-is-offered-by-state-for-sale-or-lease/article/5564141

https://www.ok.gov/DCS/documents/NoticeOfAuction23rdStArmory.pdf

sooner88
03-22-2018, 08:44 AM
That would be awesome if they developed this something similar to the West Side Market in Cleveland.

http://westsidemarket.org/

Pete
03-22-2018, 09:29 AM
Armory near capitol receives proposals for possible brewery, hotel, housing and more (http://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r=481-Armory-near-capitol-receives-proposals)

The State of Oklahoma issued a Request for Proposal (RFP) for the old Armory building at 200 NE 23rd Street and surrounding property.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/armory3.jpg

3 responses were received by the March 15th deadline: 1 from Wiggin Properties and 2 from COOP Ale Works. Wiggin is a local developer, investor and broker and COOP is a large brewer currently located near SW 44th and Council Road.

The State has not set a firm timeline for selecting redeveloper, but that is expected to happen in the early summer.

Credit to Molly Fleming at the Journal Record for first reporting this story.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/armory1a.jpg

The following is a summary of the 3 proposals.

Wiggin Properties

$2.4 million total purchase price
3 Phases:

1. Historic renovation of the Armory, reconnecting Walnut Street to NE 21st and replacing the existing warehouses with parking west of Walnut. The Armory would contain 42 residential apartments on the upper floors, most of which will qualify as workforce or affordable housing. The ground floor will most likely be leased to a substantial fitness facility encompassing 50% of the ground floor and various retail and service businesses such as one or more restaurants and other businesses which cater to the employees in the Capitol Complex and residents of the surrounding area.
2. Re-purpose the NE quadrant (Buildings C, D, E & F) along with some new buildings or additions for restaurant and retail use.
3. An office building of 60,000 to 100,000 square feet depending on demand and parking needs.

COOP Ale Works I

This proposal calls for only purchasing the Armory and surrounding 6.5 acres for $485,000.
The brewery would completely relocate to this structure.
Addition which would include a 7,000 square foot restaurant and patio facing the State Capitol, a 4,000 square foot public and private event space and a 22-room boutique hotel
Architecture and appearance will remain largely unchanged
History of the 45th Infantry Division will be integrated into the elements of the design

COOP Ale Works II

In addition to what is outlined above, COOP would purchase a full 13.4 acres for $2.3 million.
Remaining portion of the property will become a high density, urban combination of office and retail spaces and up to 130 multi-family units.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/armory4.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/armory5.jpg

AP
03-22-2018, 09:33 AM
Man, I really like COOP's second proposal. To see them move from their boring current location to this would be awesome.

jccouger
03-22-2018, 09:53 AM
Worried the State of Oklahoma will go with the less controversial option #1, since the other 2 are focused around a brewery & being so close to the capital building.

Also option #1 would bring in more money on the direct sell. Not sure how much money for tax purposes each option would generate, but that would obviously be something of consideration.

Pete
03-22-2018, 09:56 AM
That is just awesome space inside.

I'm pulling for COOP because I love their products and I also think their plan makes better use of that interior space.

HangryHippo
03-22-2018, 10:20 AM
I’m pulling for COOP as well! That would be awesome!

jonny d
03-22-2018, 10:37 AM
Worried the State of Oklahoma will go with the less controversial option #1, since the other 2 are focused around a brewery & being so close to the capital building.

Also option #1 would bring in more money on the direct sell. Not sure how much money for tax purposes each option would generate, but that would obviously be something of consideration.

Given the rash of recent alcohol-friendly legislation passed, I doubt that will actually matter. No sense being paranoid. I believe the COOP #2 proposal is the best, but their #1 would actually be BY FAR the worst.

Martin
03-22-2018, 10:44 AM
i'm a bit concerned about the coop proposal myself... i think that awesome armory space would better serve in a more public use than a brewery.

jccouger
03-22-2018, 10:50 AM
i'm a bit concerned about the coop proposal myself... i think that awesome armory space would better serve in a more public use than a brewery.

Wiggin Properties is the only proposal to promise a historic renovation of the building as well.

onthestrip
03-22-2018, 11:55 AM

How is workforce housing more of a public use than a brewery?

Brett
03-22-2018, 11:57 AM
Yes for breweries, No for apartments.

Martin
03-22-2018, 12:05 PM
How is workforce housing more of a public use than a brewery?

i was assuming that the huge, open central area would be the restaurant and fitness facility... i'm not saying that's ideal, either. i think the space would work better as some sort of venue, indoor market, restaurant, or some other public-facing use. while a brewery would probably have tours, it just seems like a limited public use of such a cool space.

edit:

i think something like this would be much better than a brewery's factory floor:
http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/c981b94584dc4c4097abe162729663ad/main-indoor-market-hall-wroclaw-poland-july-2010-bpe1nf.jpg
but it's not my money at risk, so i don't get a vote. : )

warreng88
03-22-2018, 12:12 PM
Here is the full story from the Journal Record. It wasn't posted this morning when I looked at first.

2 groups submit proposals for 23rd Street Armory building

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record March 21, 2018

OKLAHOMA CITY – Two entities submitted three proposals about what they’d like to do with the 23rd Street Armory building.

The state has been overseeing the 72,000-square-foot building at 200 NE 23rd St. since 2010, when the Oklahoma National Guard closed it. The request for qualified proposals shows 11 properties – including the armory – that could be addressed in the applications.

This is the first time a building has been sold in the State Capitol Complex. The state was given the power to sell its excess property by a law created in 2011. The State Capital Publishing Co. Building in Guthrie was the first to be sold under that law.

The request-for-proposals process is being overseen by the Office of Management and Enterprise Services. Director of Capital Assets Dan Ross said he thought the state would receive several ideas about the property since many parties toured the buildings.

“I was surprised we didn’t get more,” said Melissa Milburn, real estate services director.

Longtime Oklahoma developer Chuck Wiggin, president of Wiggin Properties, submitted a proposal. Wiggin offered to pay $1.2 million for 10 of the 11 properties. Wiggin’s proposal does not include buying Building A, which sits west of the armory.

Wiggin Properties wants to renovate the armory building into 42 workforce-housing apartments. The proposal also calls for a restaurant on the first floor and a gym in the large open main area.

Wiggin said he does plan to get the building put on the National Register of Historic Places. He said it was a challenge coming up with what to do with the property, but it lays out very nicely to have exterior windows and then balconies overlooking the gym.

“This will not be easy,” Wiggin said.

“But we think in combination with the other parcels of land that this will breathe some new life and excitement into that area in close proximity to the Capitol,” he said. “We can really bring the quality and vitality of that area up dramatically.”

The other buildings would be used for retail and offices. There are also plans to build a 60,000-square-foot to 100,000-square-foot office building, with the size varying based on space and parking needs.

In addition, the Wiggin proposal also calls for opening up N. Walnut Avenue to connect to 21st Street.

The other two proposals came from brewery Coop Ale Works. The company wants to move its southwest Oklahoma City corporate headquarters and beer brewing operations near S. Council Road and SW 44th Street into the building, as well as build a 22-room boutique hotel, a 4,000-square-foot special-event space, and a 7,000-square-foot restaurant.

Coop would purchase the armory and surrounding 6.5 acres for $485,000. The company would relocate its employees and add 40 jobs, creating an estimated economic impact of $100 million by 2025.

“This development will spur the continued, accelerated, and much-needed investment in the city’s northeast corridor, and it will bring to light a bright spotlight of tourism to Oklahoma’s beautiful Capitol area,” wrote the company in its submitted statement of interest.

In its second proposal, Coop would pay $2.3 million for the armory, surrounding buildings, and 13.4 acres. It would still do all the updates previously discussed. It would also partner with Urban Realty Partners of Atlanta and build a mixed-use high-density development, with up to 130 housing units.

The armory building is in the Capitol-Medical Center Improvement and Zoning Commission’s jurisdiction. Next, the proposals will be looked at by a six-member review committee. Those committee members could discuss the proposals more with the submitting entities or negotiate a price, said Carie Carman, project manager.

The RFP lists three key criteria: community benefits, the redeveloper’s qualifications and experience, and the redeveloper’s financial capacity.

The winning proposal could be announced by June 15, said Carman. But that date isn’t a firm deadline and could change, she said.

The design has to be approved by the state-run Capitol-Medical Center Improvement and Zoning Commission. It does not have to be approved by a city of Oklahoma City commission because it is state-owned property and in a state-controlled district.

Construction was approved for the 23rd Street Armory as a Works Progress Administration project in September 1935. The building’s use as an armory ended in 2010 when the property was transferred to OMES after closure by the Oklahoma National Guard. Since that time, it has been used for storage for state agencies.

Pete
03-22-2018, 12:15 PM
The brewery would have public/private event space as well.

When it comes to these government owned properties, I will always favor a use where the general public can easily see and use it. Anyone can go into a brewery, restaurant and event space but unless you rented an apartment or joined this particular gym, almost none of us would ever see the inside of this place, no matter how well it might be preserved.

I feel the same way about the Calvary Church in Deep Deuce. The photos are super cool but I've never even been inside there and probably never will unless the use/owner changes to something more public.

Pete
03-22-2018, 12:20 PM
BTW, Wiggin was the proposed developer of Overholser Green, the high-end condo project that initially won approval by OCURA to develop the site that is now home to The Edge.

As it turned out, he could never get that project off the ground and OCURA re-opened the process before eventually selecting Gary Brooks.

HOT ROD
03-22-2018, 01:49 PM
Coop II, with a clawback if it's not developed in a timely manner (say 10 years).

sooner88
03-22-2018, 02:10 PM
i was assuming that the huge, open central area would be the restaurant and fitness facility... i'm not saying that's ideal, either. i think the space would work better as some sort of venue, indoor market, restaurant, or some other public-facing use. while a brewery would probably have tours, it just seems like a limited public use of such a cool space.

edit:

i think something like this would be much better than a brewery's factory floor:
http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/c981b94584dc4c4097abe162729663ad/main-indoor-market-hall-wroclaw-poland-july-2010-bpe1nf.jpg
but it's not my money at risk, so i don't get a vote. : )
That's what my first thought was with something like West Side Market in CLE.

king183
03-22-2018, 03:09 PM
BTW, Wiggin was the proposed developer of Overholser Green, the high-end condo project that initially won approval by OCURA to develop the site that is now home to The Edge.

As it turned out, he could never get that project off the ground and OCURA re-opened the process before eventually selecting Gary Brooks.

I’m willing to bet Wiggins gets it. OMES has a weird love affair with him I’ve never understood.

TheTravellers
03-23-2018, 10:52 AM
Lackmeyer said this about the Armory in his chat today, so I wonder if he cares enough and has time enough and is pursuing getting the renderings or if he's just griping?

The Coop Ale brewery/hotel/retail/restaurants/event center/housing seems almost too good to be true, though they say have financing and would do it all at once. But we do not really know what this would look like. Renderings were submitted

This is state property. It is owned by Oklahoma residents. Yet the lawyers at the Office of Management and Enterprise Services are, in my reading of the law, violating the Oklahoma Open Records Act by withholding renderings submitted by the two sets of developers.

Coop Ale could have chosen to release its renderings, but they are clearly worried about upsetting the state agency even though a representative said they would not penalize either bidder for releasing the designs.

The Wiggin proposal would bring in much needed affordable housing, retail and restaurants, but in a phased development. The designs provided show the historic integrity of the property would be retained. The real question mark on this proposal is the inclusion of potential offices when there are large empty office buildings empty on Lincoln Boulevard.

Jersey Boss
03-23-2018, 12:40 PM
Whether it is Lackmeyer, local sports writers, or national writers, reporters, seem to not ask the hard questions. The perception is reporters fear losing access to the power brokers.

king183
03-23-2018, 12:55 PM
Whether it is Lackmeyer, local sports writers, or national writers, reporters, seem to not ask the hard questions. The perception is reporters fear losing access to the power brokers.

My impression from his comments on the chat and on Twitter is that Steve tried to get OMES to release the designs, but OMES counsel said no and now he's "fighting" with them to get OMES to release the designs.

Pete
03-25-2018, 08:47 AM
Yes, when I contacted OMES they would not provide the renderings.

BridgeBurner
07-02-2018, 07:26 AM
Any updates on this?

Pete
07-02-2018, 07:28 AM
Any updates on this?

I think COOP is in the lead here but I asked them and the state and I couldn't even get an estimated timeline for a decision.

BridgeBurner
07-02-2018, 07:35 AM
I think COOP is in the lead here but I asked them and the state and I couldn't even get an estimated timeline for a decision.

Good to hear Coop is in the lead. I was driving past the armory this weekend and wondered if I had missed a decision being made.

aDark
07-16-2018, 07:49 PM
COOP’s Facebook says they have exciting news tomorrow and they’ll be doing a live public announcement.

Pete
07-16-2018, 08:04 PM
COOP’s Facebook says they have exciting news tomorrow and they’ll be doing a live public announcement.

I'll be there tomorrow morning when the state makes the official announcement.

I'm very sure Coop has been chosen and hoping they share renderings and other details tomorrow.

jccouger
07-17-2018, 07:37 AM
COOP was selected. Live press conference now.

Pete
07-17-2018, 07:46 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/coop071818a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/coop071818b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/coop071818c.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/coop071818da.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/coop071818ea.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/coop071818fa.jpg

From their press release:

"The 72,667 square foot building will get an exterior facelift while maintaining its unique history and Art Deco facade.

On the interior, a 60-barrel, state-of-the-art brewhouse will occupy the drill hall on the first floor, filled with stainless steel production tanks and an automated canning line with the perimeter space surrounding the floor housing storage, office, barrel aging and more. The east wing of the second floor will feature an 8,000 square foot restaurant and taproom, with indoor and patio seating for more than 160 patrons. The full-service restaurant will serve a diverse collection of food and beverages. On the third floor of the east wing, dedicated event spaces will be availab for comminuty and private events.

A 22-room boutique hotel wil tie the experience together. Hotel rooms will occupy the second and third floors of the west wing of the building with a refined lobby located on the west side of the first floor to welcome guests."

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/armory3.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/armory4.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/coop071718ga.jpg

jedicurt
07-17-2018, 08:15 AM
nice... love the hotel idea incorporated with it.

gopokes88
07-17-2018, 08:22 AM
That is absolutely fantastic

Ross MacLochness
07-17-2018, 08:23 AM
Sick! I'm excited for this to come back to life. Will there not be a housing component to this? I was hoping the coop with housing component would be chosen.

Ross MacLochness
07-17-2018, 08:27 AM
Also, I know this wasn't part of this particular proposal, but I'd love for Walnut to be reopened at some point.

Edit: whelp, after looking at the plans a bit longer it does indeed look like there is a small bit of housing and it does indeed look like they will be opening up Walnut to the south (yay!) I hope over time, some of the surrounding parking gets filled in with other buildings. Not complaining though. This project looks great!

gopokes88
07-17-2018, 08:29 AM
Although I was hoping they’d tear it down to build some more parking

Urbanized
07-17-2018, 09:50 AM
Really conflicted about this as I have a bunch of personal connection to the brand, which was founded by a friend of mine who is no longer with them after an acrimonious split. As a loyal friend I can't be all excited for the company itself, but I have to say the development looks tremendous and it will be great to see that building re-purposed in this way, so close to Uptown 23.

Pete
07-17-2018, 10:35 AM
I'm thinking the rooftop patio on the 2nd level is going to be pretty badass.

Facing east to block the sun (why don't more people do this???) and overlooking the capitol and downtown.

Also, this is one of those truly amazing and unique structures that are all too rare in Oklahoma. I can very easily see this being a place to take out-of-towners, similar to the Jones Assembly.

HangryHippo
07-17-2018, 11:13 AM
Is there a snowball's chance in hell of Walnut being (re?)connected here?

shawnw
07-17-2018, 12:05 PM
it shows connected on the plans

HangryHippo
07-17-2018, 12:08 PM
it shows connected on the plans
Hmm. I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out, but is that connected or parking lot?

shawnw
07-17-2018, 12:09 PM
They labeled it, so hopefully it will be true.

HangryHippo
07-17-2018, 12:10 PM
They labeled it, so hopefully it will be true.
Great!

Ross MacLochness
07-17-2018, 12:11 PM
^^^It looks like it might be, according to the plans posted. Hard to tell however bc there could be a curb where the red line is. Notice the parking stretches all the way to 21st and the buildings that sit to the south of the armory that block walnut would be demolished.

jccouger
07-17-2018, 12:14 PM
Hmm. I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out, but is that connected or parking lot?

Looks like both.

Ross MacLochness
07-17-2018, 12:18 PM
Wow, did anyone else notice the dog play area??

Colbafone
07-17-2018, 02:47 PM

Big. League.

bradh
07-17-2018, 03:38 PM
This has potential to be what Surly is to Minneapolis

Pete
07-18-2018, 06:25 AM
https://kfor.com/2018/07/17/23rd-street-armory-building-gets-new-ownership-from-oklahoma-brewery/

Johnb911
07-18-2018, 07:38 AM

Do my eyes deceive me? Or is that a tennis court, two bocce ball lanes and 3 horseshoe pits??

I'm glad they went with Coop, this looks like it will be a great development. I wish there was more of a hospitality aspect for casual visitors (has anyone been up to Boulevard lately to see their new welcome/tourist area?!?) but I suppose there is the restaurant and then stuff for people staying in the hotel.

Pete
07-18-2018, 08:31 AM
I updated the images with hi-res versions here:

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=44096&page=2&p=1040508#post1040508

Pete
10-10-2018, 07:03 AM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/armory092218.jpg

HangryHippo
10-10-2018, 08:47 AM
This project is going to kick so much ass.

Laramie
10-10-2018, 10:59 AM
This project is going to kick so much ass.

It's got a lot of ass to kick . . . :D Super awesome to turn the Armory into a productive venue. Recall the last time we were there; my mother was awarded my brother's purple heart for his service in Vietnam. He stepped on a booby trap on May 17, 1970 while carrying the radio communication equipment; the news brought devastation to our family and many friends. He gave his life for our country.

dankrutka
10-10-2018, 12:23 PM
It's got a lot of ass to kick . . . :D Super awesome to turn the Armory into a productive venue. Recall the last time we were there; my mother was awarded my brother's purple heart for his service in Vietnam. He stepped on a booby trap on May 17, 1970 while carrying the radio communication equipment; the news brought devastation to our family and many friends. He gave his life for our country.

Wow. Thanks for sharing and, even after all these years, thoughts to your brother and your family.

aDark
01-02-2019, 01:13 PM
Every time I drive by the Armory I get excited for Coop to move in. Does anyone have insight or a timeline we should expect?

Pete
01-02-2019, 01:14 PM
I was told this would be a very slow-moving project.

I wouldn't expect to see much or any movement in 2019.

shawnw
01-02-2019, 02:12 PM
Also some design elements have changed, though I don't have details on that. I went to the Drinks X Design event held by the architecture foundation and one of the stops was at the new location of Spur Design (moved from 10th/Hudson [new Ludivine] to Capitol Hill) and Coop was there talking about those changes.

aDark
01-04-2019, 08:42 AM
Also some design elements have changed, though I don't have details on that. I went to the Drinks X Design event held by the architecture foundation and one of the stops was at the new location of Spur Design (moved from 10th/Hudson [new Ludivine] to Capitol Hill) and Coop was there talking about those changes.

Is Spur Design going to be handling the renovations and additions? I hope the changes are a major deviation from what was bid.

shawnw
01-04-2019, 09:52 AM
Certainly seemed that way, but I'm in no way an authority on that. Some, but not all, of the changes seemed pretty major.