View Full Version : Insider Relocation Rumor

okchornet
10-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Just a rumor from a local businessman who has been very involved in courting the Hornets:

In secret, seven NBA owners have been asked to form the league's relocation committee that will evaluate the New Orleans Hornets' application to OKC. The guy I spoke with said the relocation application won't happen until next year, but it's almost a done deal that it's coming.

Los Angeles Lakers owner Jerry Buss, San Antonio Spurs chairman Peter Holt, Indiana Pacers owner Herb Simon, Phoenix Suns chairman Jerry Colangelo, Cleveland Cavaliers owner Gordon Gund, Philadelphia 76ers chairman Ed Snider and New Jersey Nets co-chairman/owner Lewis Katz were selected by NBA commissioner David Stern. This is the same committee that approved the Hornets first move to New Orleans -- ironic, huh?

metro
10-17-2005, 10:01 AM
Nice to know but let's not get too over zealous. We don't want to "steal" a team and come out the bad guys, although they do have to make a smart business decision just like the rest of the sports franchises who seem to be getting less heat. Even if this doesnt fall through, as long as we make it a success and provide a great urban atmosphere when the games are not going on, it will make us a shoe-in for our own team.

mranderson
10-17-2005, 10:01 AM
Just a rumor from a local businessman who has been very involved in courting the Hornets:

In secret, seven NBA owners have been asked to form the league's relocation committee that will evaluate the New Orleans Hornets' application to OKC. The guy I spoke with said the relocation application won't happen until next year, but it's almost a done deal that it's coming.

Los Angeles Lakers owner Jerry Buss, San Antonio Spurs chairman Peter Holt, Indiana Pacers owner Herb Simon, Phoenix Suns chairman Jerry Colangelo, Cleveland Cavaliers owner Gordon Gund, Philadelphia 76ers chairman Ed Snider and New Jersey Nets co-chairman/owner Lewis Katz were selected by NBA commissioner David Stern. This is the same committee that approved the Hornets first move to New Orleans -- ironic, huh?

This is exciting news. I hope it is accurate. Personally, I have little doubt the "New Orleans" will be removed from the name by 2007-2008 and they will become the Oklahoma City Hornets. Especially since the team wanted to look at Oklahoma City anyway. They were unable to because the Ford Center was not completed. Otherwise, I feel we would have been granted the franchise then.

Btw. Oklahoma City will not be "stealing" anything. The team will move by the choice of the people who have the right to move it. We did not go to them and say "we are taking your team forever."

okrednk
10-17-2005, 10:05 AM
I think its good news. Unfortunate that they were pressed into moving sooner, but for Oklahoma city to step in and help and if this falls in their lap. Talk about a big boost for OKC.

okchornet
10-17-2005, 10:07 AM
I hope it's true as well. Having big time basketball in OKC permanently is going to be great. I don't think we'll come out as "grave robbers" by any means. There's lots of priorities in NO right now other supporting a pro basketball team. I wish them the best of luck in recovering.

I think the Hornets will be moving SOMEWHERE and it might as well be OKC!!

Go OKC Hornets!

BDP
10-17-2005, 12:11 PM
I really think that the collective way the NBA handles things mitigates the "grave robber" threat. It will not be a unilateral decision between the city and the Hornets, but a decision made by the NBA involving people from various markets. Any animosity regadring a move would have to be directed at the NBA altogether, and not just Shinn or OKC.

Luke
10-17-2005, 03:32 PM
If this happens, the timing would be impeccable with the Centennial next year and the Skirvin's opening to boot!