View Full Version : Downtown Streetlife

metro
10-17-2005, 08:52 AM
I'm not sure if anyone caught the article in yesterday's Oklahoman, but it appears the Bricktown Association is planning outdoor festivals for at least the first few home Hornets games. This is a step in the right direction, lets just hope it continues to snowball and create some streetlife.

floater
10-17-2005, 09:24 AM
I'm not sure if anyone caught the article in yesterday's Oklahoman, but it appears the Bricktown Association is planning outdoor festivals for at least the first few home Hornets games. This is a step in the right direction, lets just hope it continues to snowball and create some streetlife.

Definitely. To sustain the streetlife, we need more activities to entertain people while in Bricktown, but this is definitely worth BA's effort. Kudos to them for doing it. It's all about creating a sense of excitement.

The past few weekends, we've seen it building. The canal through original Bricktown is doing its best to capture the sounds of New Orleans, with four establishments featuring live outdoor music. You hear shrieks coming from the Halloween/Dungeon ride. The Sonic stage has become a living room for those watching OU games on Toby Keith's big screen. It will get only better with Downtown in December.

I still don't think we've realized what this season is going to do for Bricktown's businesses -- imagine Shaq trying to get into CityWalk? Or Tim Duncan dining at Mickey Mantle's? Having 19 tall millionaires make silhouettes at Lit? The next few months we'll be catching lightning in a bottle, and I hope OKC as a whole realizes how interesting downtown life will be on game nights.

metro
10-17-2005, 09:34 AM
I agree, even if one cant go to a game, continue to support these festivals and downtown merchants

Luke
10-17-2005, 03:23 PM
Sunday night is the first game at the Ford Center, right?

metro
10-17-2005, 03:25 PM
pre-season, but first game is Nov. 1st

Karried
10-17-2005, 04:33 PM
I'm so excited - my husband was just given 4 tickets to see the pre-season game on the 27th -yipee! I can't wait - that's when Yao Ming plays right?

metro
10-19-2005, 11:01 AM
Ask and ye shall receive

Good times will roll, Hornets owner says

By Steve Lackmeyer
The Oklahoman

Opportunities and growing pains were both evident as Hornets owner George Shinn visited with more than 60 Bricktown merchants Tuesday about his team’s upcoming season at Ford Center.
Shinn reminded the merchants about various opportunities to buy tickets and sponsor team-related events. Merchants and business owners, in turn, eagerly showed their enthusiasm for Oklahoma City’s shot at proving they’re ready for major league sports.

Shinn was asked why his office was organizing an opening game block party along Reno Avenue in front of Ford Center at the same time merchants are spending $10,000 to host their own festivities along Oklahoma Avenue.

Veteran Bricktown developer Jim Brewer said he’s concerned the team’s festival will hurt attendance at the planned “Bricktown Buzzfest” and the early closing of Reno Avenue could also hurt business at restaurants and shops.

“We need to have some sort of coordination,” Brewer said. “We’re a great asset to you, and we want you to be a great asset to us.”

Shinn said the Nov. 1 opening game will be a “historic event” - marking the Hornets’ first home game since their hometown of New Orleans was devastated by Hurricane Katrina - and will be under intense national and international scrutiny.

An opening day festival, Shinn said, is typical within the NBA.

“We are your partner,” Shinn said. “We’ll do anything we can to make this work. ... If our block party was two blocks away, and some people are there having a couple of beers, they might not make it to their seats.”

Brewer pledged his support for the team and told fellow merchants the NBA’s arrival in Oklahoma City presents the community with an opportunity similar to when they put their money into campaigning for the MAPS projects in 1992.

Shinn praised Oklahoma City’s business community for its rapid support of the team. He said within two weeks of the team’s relocation to Oklahoma City, corporate sales exceeded what the team’s received after three years in New Orleans.

The dizzying pace of the deal was evident even as Shinn spoke. The discussion over whether to proceed with the Bricktown street festival was barely over when merchants’ association director Frank Sims was on his cell phone, finalizing a $2,500 liability insurance policy for the event with Lloyds of London. “Everybody is working on a very short fuse,” Sims said. “And these things don’t usually happen overnight.”

Shinn told merchants they will benefit from the NBA’s presence regardless of whether they buy sponsorships or tickets. He urged restaurants and clubs to be prepared for crowds on nights before game days, saying that’s when the league’s superstars - Shaquille O’Neal, Koby Bryant, LeBron James - will be relaxing and enjoying a night on the town.

“Just by osmosis, we’re going to rub off on each other,” Shinn said.

He hailed Hornets newcomer Chris Paul as the next big name in the NBA - someone who is a great player but also is very fan friendly. Shinn also urged merchants to contact him if they witness any players refusing to give autographs.

“We’ve got good players with good character,” Shinn said. “And they will be out in the neighborhood.”