View Full Version : Bill to increase speed limit on some Oklahoma turnpikes passes Senate

Pages : [1] 2

Bunty
03-15-2018, 01:36 AM
http://ktul.com/news/local/bill-to-increase-speed-limit-on-some-turnpikes-passes-senate

catch22
03-15-2018, 07:45 AM
Good, it's very comfortable to do about 80-85 between OKC and tulsa without realizing it.

Bellaboo
03-15-2018, 08:24 AM
The majority is driving 80 already, have been for years.

Johnb911
03-15-2018, 08:55 AM
Looks like the bill also allows for raising the speed limit on other highways. Good. Get I35 up to 75 like KS and TX already have

BoulderSooner
03-15-2018, 09:32 AM
Looks like the bill also allows for raising the speed limit on other highways. Good. Get I35 up to 75 like KS and TX already have

Where do you see that? (I thought that was already allowed)

Johnb911
03-15-2018, 10:34 AM
http://newsok.com/article/5497044

Specifically:

'The maximum speed limit of 70 miles per hour on four-lane divided highways and 65 miles per hour for other location also would be stricken from the bill. Instead, the Oklahoma Department of Transportation would be able to set maximum speeds based on engineering studies used to determine a speed that is "reasonable and safe under the conditions." '

BoulderSooner
03-15-2018, 11:47 AM
http://newsok.com/article/5497044

Specifically:

'The maximum speed limit of 70 miles per hour on four-lane divided highways and 65 miles per hour for other location also would be stricken from the bill. Instead, the Oklahoma Department of Transportation would be able to set maximum speeds based on engineering studies used to determine a speed that is "reasonable and safe under the conditions." '

That is from May 2016

Johnb911
03-15-2018, 01:22 PM
well, i guess if you're into reading comprehension, than yeah, that might be important. (facepalm emoji)

kevin lee
03-20-2018, 12:11 AM
This will be interesting. There are congressmen actively talking about passing laws to limit a semi truck to 65mph. Some companies have started to govern their trucks to less than 65 right now. You would think it would be safer that the flow of traffic goes around the same speed.

catch22
03-20-2018, 07:32 AM
This will be interesting. There are congressmen actively talking about passing laws to limit a semi truck to 65mph. Some companies have started to govern their trucks to less than 65 right now. You would think it would be safer that the flow of traffic goes around the same speed.

Not sure I can agree with our lawmakers with this one. I'd rather a "trucks right lane only" law. Of course, that would not be effective on the current turnpike because of it only being 2 lanes. If we had 3 lanes the whole way (which I think will eventually happen) it would be the right course of action. I hate getting behind 2 trucks that take 5 miles to pass each other because one is going 65 and the other 64.

brianinok
03-20-2018, 08:38 AM
Not sure I can agree with our lawmakers with this one. I'd rather a "trucks right lane only" law. Of course, that would not be effective on the current turnpike because of it only being 2 lanes. If we had 3 lanes the whole way (which I think will eventually happen) it would be the right course of action. I hate getting behind 2 trucks that take 5 miles to pass each other because one is going 65 and the other 64.This happened to me yesterday. All the way from the Newcastle tollbooth to the Chickasha McDonald's at 60-65 MPH. After about 3 miles I decided to just go with it and accept I was going to be a little late. But it was still incredibly irritating. When I did pass them I saw both trucks/trailers were from the same company.

Plutonic Panda
01-22-2019, 07:36 AM
This bill is coming through again. I really really hope this actually happens this time around.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/photovideo/slideshows/highlights-from-the-bills-filed--mph-speed-limits-saturday/collection_2b21c25f-c116-590c-9e6c-25ab43ade0cd.html#1

catch22
01-22-2019, 09:24 AM
This bill is coming through again. I really really hope this actually happens this time around.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/photovideo/slideshows/highlights-from-the-bills-filed--mph-speed-limits-saturday/collection_2b21c25f-c116-590c-9e6c-25ab43ade0cd.html#1

I was wondering what happened. Hope it goes through, the “closer” Tulsa and OKC are by travel time the more their economic powers can feed off each other and form a more powerful Oklahoma.

Plutonic Panda
01-22-2019, 09:27 AM
I’m still a bit confused on the recent speed limit increase bills. So for some reason I thought speed limits were going up on non toll roads as well. I guess those didn’t go through or toll roads were abscent from that bill so it only applies to OkDOT controlled roads.

d-usa
01-22-2019, 11:38 AM
I always thought that toll roads have more leeway with speed limits, since funding for upkeep and repairs isn't depending on federal funding.

If they do increase the speed limit more, they really need to do something about completely eliminating the possibility of crossing the median. I understand that the Highway Patrol wants points to cross from one side to the other, but it seems that the most lethal wrecks always come from someone trying to turn around.

Plutonic Panda
01-22-2019, 11:45 AM
Put up an automated ticketing system with cameras.

OKC Guy
01-22-2019, 12:31 PM

NO!

Once you allow even one video ticket system its all downhill from there. Next thing they use this to justify doing it at intersections and other areas.

I am 100% against any automated ticketing system!

I do like hearing speed limits maybe going up.

LakeEffect
01-22-2019, 12:32 PM

That won't stop it from happening...

Plutonic Panda
01-22-2019, 12:48 PM
That won't stop it from happening...

Perhaps gates then.

Plutonic Panda
01-22-2019, 12:49 PM
NO!

Once you allow even one video ticket system its all downhill from there. Next thing they use this to justify doing it at intersections and other areas.

That’s true. I can’t say I disagree.

Midtowner
01-22-2019, 02:16 PM
NO!

Not to mention the fact that most of these virtual ticketing systems are making the private operators rich. In states which have the red light cameras, drivers often do unsafe things in order to in their minds, not run the light. In some cases, operators have been found to be fudging the facts in order to produce more tickets. Nothing good can come from for-profit policing.

rte66man
01-22-2019, 02:42 PM
I’m still a bit confused on the recent speed limit increase bills. So for some reason I thought speed limits were going up on non toll roads as well. I guess those didn’t go through or toll roads were absent from that bill so it only applies to OkDOT controlled roads.

HB1071 amends existing law to mandate an 80 m.p.h. speed limit on any OK toll road not inside a municipality city limits. No mention of any other speed limit changes in that bill.

Plutonic Panda
01-22-2019, 03:12 PM
^^^ that would be very nice! So that applies to Indian toll roads as well?

mugofbeer
01-22-2019, 04:35 PM

Which are you referring to? When I click your link it gives the entire article with multiple bill descriptions.

mugofbeer
01-22-2019, 04:37 PM
HB1071 amends existing law to mandate an 80 m.p.h. speed limit on any OK toll road not inside a municipality city limits. No mention of any other speed limit changes in that bill.

Love this one. It should be true on any of the interstates outside city limits, too.

OKC Guy
01-22-2019, 04:50 PM
Love this one. It should be true on any of the interstates outside city limits, too.

Agree.

And I still have no idea who sets speed limits on our roads. It seems to be set based on how much money can be made on tickets. Two of many examples:

1. 235 between 44 and TP is 60. Hefner parkway between TP and 36th is 65. One is curvy and one is straight. One has concrete medians and one has fencing.

2. Hefner road around Lake Hefner all the way to HP is 40. Nothing at all (except Meridian light) until you get to just west of Lake. Rockwell fron TP and south is 45 all kinds of businesses, schools, housing and other.

Some agency has no common sense or do this on purpose to create revenue ln tickets. On some sections of Hefner around lake you have to actually use brakes to not speed due to slight downhill sections. Its stupid.

On 235 they use motor bikes with spy bonoculars and built in speed camera to take pics of speed way before drivers can see them.

Its all a money driven ponzi scheme to pad city coffers.

Mel
01-22-2019, 05:05 PM
I just got off the Kilpatrick southbound, coming home to Mustang from Memorial. I staid in the right lane at 80 mph and cars are zipping by me on the left. Might as well make it legal.

hoya
01-22-2019, 05:52 PM
I don't care if they change it to 80, I'm still not slowing down.

Bunty
01-22-2019, 08:39 PM

Why not? It's too scary to go the current speed limit even in light traffic?

OKCRT
01-22-2019, 09:08 PM
This happened to me yesterday. All the way from the Newcastle tollbooth to the Chickasha McDonald's at 60-65 MPH. After about 3 miles I decided to just go with it and accept I was going to be a little late. But it was still incredibly irritating. When I did pass them I saw both trucks/trailers were from the same company.

You should have laid on the horn til the one in the fast lane moved. It's a law now. Just lay on it and don't let off til they move. If they flip you off just laugh at them.

mugofbeer
01-22-2019, 09:17 PM
ld consider calling their employer since they were doing it intentionally.

soonerheart
01-23-2019, 11:04 AM
I would like to see the day time speeds on the lightly traveled interstates going to 85 if local road conditions allow.
A speed limit system like Texas has on it's other highways would be nice.
As conditions change there needs to be a certain amount of built in flexibility.

Mel
01-23-2019, 11:31 AM
That should be stayed, not staid. Minor Brain Lock.

OKC Guy
02-19-2019, 07:28 PM
Is this new?

Bill to up speed limits on turnpikes, rural highways clears Senate committee

By Barbara Hoberock Tulsa World
4 hrs ago

OKLAHOMA CITY — A legislative panel on Tuesday passed a bill that could result in increased speed limits on turnpikes and highways in rural areas.

The Senate Transportation Committee passed Senate Bill 648 by Sen. Joseph Silk, R-Broken Bow.

The measure would increase the maximum speed to 80 mph on turnpikes. Some turnpikes have a 75 mph maximum speed. The state’s two urban turnpikes, the Creek and Kilpatrick, have a maximum speed of 70 mph.

The measure would also increase the maximum speed to 75 mph on rural sections of the interstate highway system.

It allows the Transportation Commission to make such designations.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/bill-to-up-speed-limits-on-turnpikes-rural-highways-clears/article_b8747d88-4afb-59b6-accd-087a073384e8.html

Plutonic Panda
02-19-2019, 07:36 PM
I really hope it happens!

Meanwhile here in California https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.automobilemag.com/news/calinornia-speed-limit-unlimited-lanes/amp/

I hope this happens even more! I already go as fast as my car can on I-5 when going to San Fran, would be nice if it were legal!

Zorba
02-19-2019, 09:45 PM
I'm all for this. They need to raise the inner city speed limits too. 60 on I-35 North of 40 is completely unnecessary. 65 on 240 east of 35 is just ridiculous.

Dustin
02-20-2019, 01:05 AM

This will give me a good excuse to go 90. I already drive about 10 over anyway (and so does everyone else).

Plutonic Panda
02-20-2019, 06:08 AM
^^^ studies show this isn’t necessarily the case that people will always go 10 over.

PaddyShack
02-20-2019, 11:55 AM
Y'all want to talk about annoying speed limits? I just returned from a trip to PA which we flew in and out from BWI. I-695, which for the most part is 8 lanes and the speed limit is usually 55 mph, and they love there speed cameras!!

Sharona21
02-20-2019, 02:09 PM
You idiots going so much over the speed limit are accidents waiting to happen. And usually you bring someone else down with you. Go ahead and pay for your speeding tickets, deductibles, higher insurance rates, attorney's fees when you cause injury, etc. How dumb can you be? Stay within the speed limit and stop causing tempers to flare and so much more. DON'T IGNORE THE LAW.

Plutonic Panda
02-20-2019, 02:16 PM
Instead of resorting to ad hominem how about educating yourself:

http://www.sehinc.com/news/truth-about-speed-limits-explained-engineer

Think speeders cause tempers to flare? Think again: https://www.wagnerreese.com/blog/2018/march/slow-driving-can-lead-to-congestion-aggresive-dr/

How about you calm down and stay the hell out of the left lane and let us “big bad speeders pass” and if we get pulled over you continue driving and have your chuckle.

https://www.esurance.com/info/car/the-dangers-of-driving-too-slowly

jompster
02-20-2019, 05:07 PM
Slow and fast drivers alike are guilty of causing aggression. Check your tempers at the curb before you get behind the wheel. :)

Plutonic Panda
02-20-2019, 05:12 PM
^^^ careful now, you’re starting to make sense. That won’t work for many who love knee jerk reactions.

Zorba
02-20-2019, 09:24 PM
^^^ studies show this isn’t necessarily the case that people will always go 10 over.

That's the idea behind the 85th percentile rule. People will naturally drive the speed they feel comfortable with. In general on highways, I think it probably does a pretty good job of setting speed limits. Although, I will say driving 80 on a 2-lane, non-divided highway in western Texas kind of scares me. You hit someone going the other way, you are dead.

soonerheart
02-20-2019, 10:04 PM
There is rural vs urban argument... but there is also a rural vs extremely rural such as in far western Oklahoma and in the panhandle where if the highway is in good condition a day time 90 MPH + speed limit would be completely appropriate due to extremely light traffic.

I do believe due to the many night time critters that love to find rural roads at night that and with shorter visibilities that a slower night time speed is very appropriate.

soonerheart
02-20-2019, 10:23 PM
That's the idea behind the 85th percentile rule. People will naturally drive the speed they feel comfortable with. In general on highways, I think it probably does a pretty good job of setting speed limits. Although, I will say driving 80 on a 2-lane, non-divided highway in western Texas kind of scares me. You hit someone going the other way, you are dead.

In many areas of west Texas if you’re only driving 80 MHP on a 2 lane road you are a hazard, even back in the 55 mph days.

I have set my cruise control as high as 105 MPH.... Where its 30 to 50 miles between small towns, on 2 lane roads that are in mint condition, where the ground is flat and many times not seen but one or 2 other vehicles and one of those might be passing you...

In most counties where there is oil law enforcement doesn’t care...I have had them wave at me many times. But in counties where there is not oil you usually need to stick to the speed limits...they need the ticket revenue.

Under the right conditions, in the right vehicle I have been very comfortable driving at those speeds.

Texas builds their highways to better standards than Oklahoma...I believe we should upgrade our standards of highway construction to what Texas builds

Plutonic Panda
02-21-2019, 02:12 AM
In many areas of west Texas if you’re only driving 80 MHP on a 2 lane road you are a hazard, even back in the 55 mph days.

I have set my cruise control as high as 105 MPH.... Where its 30 to 50 miles between small towns, on 2 lane roads that are in mint condition, where the ground is flat and many times not seen but one or 2 other vehicles and one of those might be passing you...

In most counties where there is oil law enforcement doesn’t care...I have had them wave at me many times. But in counties where there is not oil you usually need to stick to the speed limits...they need the ticket revenue.

Under the right conditions, in the right vehicle I have been very comfortable driving at those speeds.

Texas builds their highways to better standards than Oklahoma...I believe we should upgrade our standards of highway construction to what Texas builds
+1

Plutonic Panda
02-21-2019, 02:15 AM
That's why I don't like when people always assume the de facto rule is everyone will do 10 over regardless of the speed limit. I believe even it has been shown most people on the autobahns in Germany where there is no speed limit in areas will still only travel around 80-90(MPH).

Plutonic Panda
02-21-2019, 02:18 AM
There is rural vs urban argument... but there is also a rural vs extremely rural such as in far western Oklahoma and in the panhandle where if the highway is in good condition a day time 90 MPH + speed limit would be completely appropriate due to extremely light traffic.

I do believe due to the many night time critters that love to find rural roads at night that and with shorter visibilities that a slower night time speed is very appropriate.
I agree with you one hundred percent and I also want to note 100 MPH may seem fast on paper but it's really not. In most modern cars you could go 100 and not notice less you fly past people.

As for your last sentence, I agree. I wish Oklahoma would start building more wildlife over/underpasses.

jerrywall
02-21-2019, 09:18 AM
As for your last sentence, I agree. I wish Oklahoma would start building more wildlife over/underpasses.

Makes me think of when I was in the Florida keys last week. While driving highway 1 through Big Pine, there were tons of deer crossing signs, and all these warning signs about "speed kills Pine Deer". My comment to my wife was why don't they move the deer crossing signs somewhere safer so the deer don't get hit. :D

*she didn't think it was funny*

catch22
02-21-2019, 09:29 AM
You idiots going so much over the speed limit are accidents waiting to happen. And usually you bring someone else down with you. Go ahead and pay for your speeding tickets, deductibles, higher insurance rates, attorney's fees when you cause injury, etc. How dumb can you be? Stay within the speed limit and stop causing tempers to flare and so much more. DON'T IGNORE THE LAW.

Here’s a suggestion then, stay in the right lane and don’t worry about what’s going on in the left lane.

catch22
02-21-2019, 09:37 AM

I was driving in the panhandle a year or two ago and it was literally about 20 minutes since I saw the last vehicle, so my speed crept up to about 90 in a 60 mpg road. Flat as a pancake. OHP pulled me over, told me he knows the road is flat but just to ease back a little bit and be careful. Think he just gave me a verbal warning. It’s no-man’s land.

jedicurt
02-21-2019, 09:49 AM
I was driving in the panhandle a year or two ago and it was literally about 20 minutes since I saw the last vehicle, so my speed crept up to about 90 in a 60 mpg road. Flat as a pancake. OHP pulled me over, told me he knows the road is flat but just to ease back a little bit and be careful. Think he just gave me a verbal warning. It’s no-man’s land.

yep... grew up in this area... only time OHP ever wrote a ticket is if you were crossing lanes, weather was bad, or there happened to be a bit of traffic and you were being dumb..

Sharona21
02-21-2019, 09:50 AM
Here’s a suggestion then, stay in the right lane and don’t worry about what’s going on in the left lane.

Uh, someone's already said that.
I'll stay in the right lane if you'll stay off my rear end in either lane, when I am going the SPEED LIMIT, not SLOWER. Some day your speeding
bullet's going to hit someone that stops suddenly. DUH.

OKC Guy
02-21-2019, 10:05 AM
Uh, someone's already said that.
I'll stay in the right lane if you'll stay off my rear end in either lane, when I am going the SPEED LIMIT, not SLOWER. Some day your speeding
bullet's going to hit someone that stops suddenly. DUH.

My reading of this is you have road rage. Basically you are saying everyone must do what you say. Other than rush hour the left lane is for passing. If you can’t pass in a reasonable time then stay in right lane. The law was passed strictly for left lane huggers who actually make traffic more dangerous by going only speed limit and stacking up traffic. Let the cops worry about speeders its not the publics job to police. Some drivers look for confrontation by intentionally plugging up left lane to slow drivers down. Its a simple law, stay in right lane other than passing. Passing means you have to go faster than the car you are trying to get by.

What I find more common is cars who speed up by as mich as 10mph as you try to pass them.

CloudDeckMedia
02-21-2019, 12:19 PM
In the 1980s a powerful legislator from southern Oklahoma refused to authorize any turnpike expansion unless one was built through his district. Behold the 13 mile, two lane Chickasaw Turnpike which the OTA never wanted, but had to build. With a 70 mph speed limit but no center barrier or cable system, it was initially nicknamed the "Oklahoma Supercollider."

catch22
02-21-2019, 02:59 PM
In the 1980s a powerful legislator from southern Oklahoma refused to authorize any turnpike expansion unless one was built through his district. Behold the 13 mile, two lane Chickasaw Turnpike which the OTA never wanted, but had to build. With a 70 mph speed limit but no center barrier or cable system, it was initially nicknamed the "Oklahoma Supercollider."

Had no idea that existed.

CloudDeckMedia
02-21-2019, 03:56 PM
Had no idea that existed.

It is such a white elephant that the OTA tried to give it to ODOT, plus a $14 million cash inducement. The legislature turned it down.

Sure wish I could remember the name of that legislator who demanded that it be built through his district. I'm sure the Chickasaw Nation would prefer that it bear his name instead of theirs.

jerrywall
02-22-2019, 07:29 AM
^^ IIRC wasn't it a group of rural legislatures, who demanded it be part of the package with 3 other turnpikes (which included the Kirkpatrick?)

jompster
02-22-2019, 01:11 PM
^^ IIRC wasn't it a group of rural legislatures, who demanded it be part of the package with 3 other turnpikes (which included the Kirkpatrick?)

That's correct. The package included the Kilpatrick, Creek, and Cherokee turnpikes. And a small portion of it was transferred to ODOT and became SH-7 Spur.