View Full Version : Martin Nature Park

OKCretro
03-06-2018, 08:14 AM
not sure where to put this but a friend of mine told me yesterday that the Park posted something on FB yesterday about how they had a record number of visitors over the weekend but unfortunately people trashed the place, didnt follow paths and even some vandalism occurred.
Anyone have any information about what happened?

9if you need to move to another forum thats fine)

Martin
03-06-2018, 08:32 AM
lifted from https://www.facebook.com/friendsofmartinpark/

After a record visitation of over 1000 visitors yesterday, Martin Park staff are saddened to find numerous locations across park grounds which were vandalized and destroyed. Fences were broken, signs were removed, multiple areas of heavy foot traffic off-trail and into the wildlife conservation areas were found, cliffs along Spring Creek were heavily eroded out by visitors climbing, benches were relocated off trails onto cliffs which are undercut and may collapse at any time, and litter was found strewn along all the trails, playground, and parking lot, even though animal proof receptacles have been placed throughout park grounds. We as humans are the most destructive force on Earth. Please consider your impact, and the impact of your friends and family while visiting Martin Park. If we as residents of the greater OKC metroplex cannot change our ways and take accountability for our actions, irreversible changes will take place, and we will lose what Martin Park Nature Center was set aside to preserve.

HangryHippo
03-06-2018, 08:53 AM
lifted from https://www.facebook.com/friendsofmartinpark/
Despicable.

BBatesokc
03-06-2018, 09:37 AM
We go there some.... I've seen plenty of families that show up and let their kids (and themselves) run around like the place is simply Red Rock or the Wichita Mountains and you can stomp around anywhere you please.

FighttheGoodFight
03-06-2018, 12:13 PM
This is upsetting. I used to love going to Martin Nature park when I lived in OKC. Very hard to hear this.

Do they have donations set up for repair?

cinnamonjock
03-06-2018, 03:32 PM
I wonder why this weekend was different, besides the nice weather. Was a particularly rowdy group visiting? This is a great place for bird watching and wildlife in general, but nobody can enjoy it if the whole thing gets trashed. How does one prevent this from happening again?

rezman
03-06-2018, 08:04 PM
This is a great place and I can clearly remember going out there when there was nothing else around it. Unfortunately, it is now surrounded by development, and there is no shortage of lack of respect and responsibility for other people or property these days. Maybe they should just lock it up for a while and keep people out.

OKCretro
03-06-2018, 08:50 PM
very disappointed that people would do this.

Hopefully the people don't go back and also don't go downtown to the new park there

rte66man
03-07-2018, 05:18 AM
This is upsetting. I used to love going to Martin Nature park when I lived in OKC. Very hard to hear this.

Do they have donations set up for repair?

Not sure about donations, but here is the link to their page:
https://okc.gov/departments/parks-recreation/martin-park-nature-center