View Full Version : Billy Graham

rezman
02-22-2018, 05:25 PM
I meant to mention this earlier, but got sidetracked. I’m surprised no one has mentioned the passing of Billy Graham. .... a humble man of high moral character.

One of his quotes...
“Take one day at a time. Today, after all, is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.””

brian72
02-22-2018, 06:24 PM
I never was able to see him evangelize to the masses. But I know I'll seen him one day.

stile99
02-22-2018, 06:30 PM
I meant to mention this earlier, but got sidetracked. I’m surprised no one has mentioned the passing of Billy Graham.

He pretty much asked us not to, really. Another one of his quotes went something along the lines of some day, you will hear or read that Billy Graham is dead. I want to assure you this is false, I will be more alive than ever before, only my address will have changed.

bucktalk
02-22-2018, 06:40 PM
While Billy Graham wasn't a perfect man, by his own admission, he still held to a higher standard than most 'tv' type preachers/evangelist of today...or so it appears.

jerrywall
02-22-2018, 07:15 PM
I don't know enough about Graham to make any judgement on him, but unfortunately I've been seeing non stop posts on Facebook celebrating his death. It's disgusting imo. Any death is a loss.

rezman
02-22-2018, 08:08 PM
While Billy Graham wasn't a perfect man, by his own admission, he still held to a higher standard than most 'tv' type preachers/evangelist of today...or so it appears.

Exactly... he never claimed to be perfect, as no one is, but he did hold strongly to high moral standards. He wouldn’t even board an elevator where another woman was present, unless there were other people there as well. And he never was the typical tv preacher/evangelist.

TheTravellers
02-22-2018, 10:22 PM
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/opinion-lenz-billy-graham_us_5a8ef291e4b005bb0fef46ec

d-usa
02-23-2018, 06:08 AM
I feel like his son has killed the legacy of his ministry quite some time ago.

mkjeeves
02-23-2018, 07:38 AM
I listened to BG off and on through the years, though not much recently. This is a side of his legacy I was not well aware of, the link via my older brother, a gay Christian.

Billy Graham leaves painful legacy for LGBTQ people

Evangelicals across the country are mourning the death of Billy Graham, an influential preacher who died in his home in Montreat, North Carolina, on Wednesday. But while some are celebrating his legacy, others are grappling with the lasting damage his actions have done to their communities.

Over the course of Graham's 99 years of life, he reached millions of Christians around the world and had an outsized impact on the national political landscape. For many lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people, however, Graham was a crusader against them, one whose efforts shaped the religious right into an anti-LGBTQ political force.

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/billy-graham-leaves-painful-legacy-lgbtq-people-n850031?utm_campaign=hp_fb_pages&utm_source=qv_fb&utm_medium=facebook&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000050

Bullbear
02-23-2018, 08:30 AM
I listened to BG off and on through the years, though not much recently. This is a side of his legacy I was not well aware of, the link via my older brother, a gay Christian.

Billy Graham leaves painful legacy for LGBTQ people

Evangelicals across the country are mourning the death of Billy Graham, an influential preacher who died in his home in Montreat, North Carolina, on Wednesday. But while some are celebrating his legacy, others are grappling with the lasting damage his actions have done to their communities.

Over the course of Graham's 99 years of life, he reached millions of Christians around the world and had an outsized impact on the national political landscape. For many lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people, however, Graham was a crusader against them, one whose efforts shaped the religious right into an anti-LGBTQ political force.

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/billy-graham-leaves-painful-legacy-lgbtq-people-n850031?utm_campaign=hp_fb_pages&utm_source=qv_fb&utm_medium=facebook&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000050

Yup!>. I wont celebrate his death but I wont morn it either. his ministry did a lot of damage to my community. His funding of Conversion therapy being a main issue. So I wont give him props for his "high Moral Character" when he advocated for the destruction of others through atrocious acts. nope..

baralheia
02-23-2018, 11:00 AM
Yup!>. I wont celebrate his death but I wont morn it either. his ministry did a lot of damage to my community. His funding of Conversion therapy being a main issue. So I wont give him props for his "high Moral Character" when he advocated for the destruction of others through atrocious acts. nope..

I echo Bullbear's sentiments exactly. I neither mourn nor celebrate his passing at all for this reason.

TheTravellers
02-23-2018, 11:21 AM
^^^ Agree with both of you, that's why I posted that link earlier, wanted to get some non-fawning information out there, "high moral character" indeed...

BoulderSooner
02-23-2018, 12:52 PM
Among the Highest moral character and most principled humans that has walked the earth in long Long Time

Jersey Boss
02-23-2018, 01:08 PM
Among the wealthiest of pastors in America.

Jersey Boss
02-23-2018, 01:09 PM
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/opinion-lenz-billy-graham_us_5a8ef291e4b005bb0fef46ec

Interesting read on the marriage of religion and politics.

OU Adonis
02-27-2018, 10:04 AM
Not surprised to hear we have people who don't care if people pass that disagree with certain hot button topics / politics / relegion.

Bullbear
02-27-2018, 10:18 AM
Not surprised to hear we have people who don't care if people pass that disagree with certain hot button topics / politics / relegion.

big difference between simply disagreeing with and actively using power and influence and money to harm others. I don't mind if people disagree but when they cross a line into interference with the lives of others then I'm done.

OU Adonis
02-27-2018, 10:23 AM
big difference between simply disagreeing with and actively using power and influence and money to harm others. I don't mind if people disagree but when they cross a line into interference with the lives of others then I'm done.

Glad to know - So you have no qualms when Pro life people feel the same way you do when someone who is Pro choice dies?

Bullbear
02-27-2018, 12:27 PM
Poor analogy but nice try .

but I don't see anything wrong with not mourning a death of someone you have no positive attachment to.

stile99
02-27-2018, 12:44 PM
Glad to know - So you have no qualms when Pro life people feel the same way you do when someone who is Pro choice dies?

Jesus H Christ (pun completely intended) how in the hell (again, intentional) did someone manage to turn THIS thread into a political one?

MadMonk
02-27-2018, 01:26 PM
Jesus H Christ (pun completely intended) how in the hell (again, intentional) did someone manage to turn THIS thread into a political one?

You had to know it would happen. Anything to do with religion is a trigger for certain segments of the population. Just like the topics of race or homosexuality is in other segments. This is the Internet, there's no such thing as universal civility.

bchris02
02-27-2018, 01:35 PM
You had to know it would happen. Anything to do with religion is a trigger for certain segments of the population. Just like the topics of race or homosexuality is in other segments. This is the Internet, there's no such thing as universal civility.

Well to be fair, these days the GOP is virtually indistinguishable from fundamentalist Christianity and vice versa. It would be nice if religion and politics could be separate but in this time in history they are pretty much one and the same.

Religion wouldn’t be such a trigger if not for entities like the State of Oklahoma and increasingly the national GOP trying to force it on everyone.

BoulderSooner
02-27-2018, 01:41 PM
That is laughably inaccurate. Also interesting when the dem party leadership more to the left then at any time in history

MadMonk
02-27-2018, 01:52 PM
Well to be fair, these days the GOP is virtually indistinguishable from fundamentalist Christianity and vice versa. It would be nice if religion and politics could be separate but in this time in history they are pretty much one and the same.

Religion wouldn’t be such a trigger if not for entities like the State of Oklahoma and increasingly the national GOP trying to force it on everyone.
LOL, case in point.

mugofbeer
02-28-2018, 11:28 PM

I find the attempt to equate Billy Graham's evangelism with white patriotism totally laughable. It was conservative, fundamentalist biblical teaching at it's core. It was not, as this article states, white patriotism more than fundamentalist Christian values. His ministry was not a tightly organized go to his church every Sunday morning but an enormous media following that had a significant number of African American followers. The article shows a photo from the 1960s of a huge crowd in NYC waiting to hear him that includes a decent number of blacks and what appears to be a few Asians. The percentage of black followers was much higher in the south where his base was.
As for some on here who are members of or supporters of the gay community, I can understand their lack of remorse of his death. Keep in mind, Martin Luther King never openly supported the gay community, either though I don't think he was a litteral believer in the bible (meaning gay issues didn't come to the forfront in the 60s and I bet he would have been a supporter of gay rights today, though his family is divided on the subject).
Billy Graham was an old-fashioned fire and brimstone fundamentalist preacher who tried to apply the bible literally to todays issues. He would never waiver from his beliefs.

Jersey Boss
03-01-2018, 08:35 AM
Not only did he offend the members of the LGBT community, his recorded anti Jewish beliefs did nothing to endear him with Jewish Americans either.

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/billy-graham-nixon-and-anti-semitism-the-bombshell-tapes-1.5844419

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/thomas-jefferson-street/articles/2018-02-28/dont-forget-billy-grahams-anti-semitic-turn-with-richard-nixon

mugofbeer
03-01-2018, 09:48 PM
It's well-known he said these things that came out on the tapes with Nixon many years ago. However, if you read into it more you will find that most people bringing this issue up is just the media. Comments from Jewish leaders since his death seem to be pretty supportive of him despite once making these comments. He did this a long time ago and, like a few old well-known Democrats who were once members of the KKK, people can change and, in this case, his actions apparently spoke louder than his words. He refused to get involved in most political issues but focused on biblical teachings and living your ljfe accordingly.