View Full Version : Nuisance complaint guidance requested...

SoonerDave
02-19-2018, 05:19 PM
I have a problem with a door-to-door construction company whose reps refuse to take "thanks, not interested" for an answer for a "free roofing inspection." They've been by four times, and each time I've tried to be patient, polite, and agreeable with the pitchman, but today a different guy came back and after telling him "not interested" he kept right on going with his "free service" pitch. I told him other reps had been buy and I wasn't interested. Didn't matter; I had to be terse about it and told them not to come back.

If they return, as I suspect they will, how do I go about filing a nuisance complaint against them? Can I file a nuisance report with the police? The city? I don't want to call their office directly as I suspect that might just ratify their tactics....

jompster
02-19-2018, 05:30 PM
I wish I had some advice, but my likely course of action would probably cause the salesperson to pee his pants, so I'll keep it to myself for now.

I would definitely call their office and tell them that you have asked not to be bothered and that you'll have them charged with trespassing if they continue. Putting it into writing as a cease and desist notice is even better. Just clearly list your name and address. It should get the message across unless they are just stupid.

emtefury
02-19-2018, 06:55 PM
The salesperson should have a license with the city. Recommend first trying with the issuing office. Also recommend a no soliciting sign. We have had no knocks since putting one up.

https://www.okc.gov/departments/development-services/business-licensing/occupational-licenses/solicitor-license

Richard at Remax
02-19-2018, 07:53 PM
yeah we have a no soliciting sign at both entrances to our neighborhood. however, if they have a permit then they can still legally solicit. some people just can't take a hint.

d-usa
02-19-2018, 07:57 PM
We also put up a sign at our door, and my knocks have dropped from 2-3 a week to 1-2 a year.

CloudDeckMedia
02-19-2018, 08:46 PM
Why not simply accept their offer for a free roof inspection every time they drop by? After a few wasted trips carrying ladders, getting up on the roof and calculating an estimate, someone there will eventually get the message.

HangryHippo
02-19-2018, 08:56 PM
Why not simply accept their offer for a free roof inspection every time they drop by? After a few wasted trips carrying ladders, getting up on the roof and calculating an estimate, someone there will eventually get the message.
Now that’s pretty damn funny!!

catch22
02-20-2018, 10:45 AM

Also open yourself up to a ton of liability! Don't let anyone on your roof until you know they are a legitimate business and are bonded/have insurance!

Scott5114
02-20-2018, 04:52 PM
Just give them a stern face, look them straight in the eye, and recite the lyrics to a Bee Gees song. Don't sing, just speak the words with a straight face. With any luck, the situation will become awkward enough that they won't want to come back to that house with the crazy guy...

hoya
02-22-2018, 10:47 AM
Just open the door in your underwear. Then ask if they're here alone, and invite them inside. Works like a charm.

rezman
02-22-2018, 11:09 AM
^^^ There are plenty of nimrods out there who would take you up on your invitation, and come on in.

My front yard is surrounded by a nice iron fence with brick columns and walk though gates. That in itself doesn't stop the door to door pests, so we will be installing no soliciting signs at both gates as well.

Steelgrave
03-11-2018, 01:38 PM
My go-to response for these nimrods is "if you aren't selling Girl Scout Cookies, I'm not interested".