View Full Version : We need a landmark

Pages : [1] 2

Patrick
07-06-2004, 06:26 PM
An artist in Tulsa is about to build a 300 foot tall sculpture of a Native American, Oklahoma City really needs a landmark that it can be distinguished by. It needs to be close to downtown so it would show up in pictures of our city. It needs to be on a scale similar to the space needle in Seattle, the archway in St. Louis, etc.

I've proposed this to our city leaders before. I know we're not Tulsa and weren't known as the oil capitol, but much of the drilling was done here. And we have tons of gas companies here now. Why not build a 600 foot tall oil derrick, complete with an observation deck at the top, along with a restaurant, oil museum, and gift shop. At one time I sent the proposal to all of the council members and the mayor. They liked the idea, but didn't know how to find financing. I propose it for MAPS III.

What do you think? Have any other ideas?

mranderson
07-07-2004, 07:11 PM
The Gateway arch is aprox 660 feet tall. If we take that measurement and add a foot, we will have the largest monument of a similar nature.

I was against the Indian, but would have accepted it anyway. We need to change the image of our city from a cowboy image to the image of the most cosmopolitian city between Chigago and Los Angeles.

I have supported Patrick's idea from the beginning, and will long after it is built.

TStheThird
07-07-2004, 08:56 PM
Wouldn't a giant oil derrick look a lot like the Eiffel Tower? Maybe not...

I like the idea of a big landmark, but I am not for sure of what it should be. Maybe we could build a 600 foot tall glass tower and convince Chihuly to build a 590 foot glass sculpture to be housed inside. What will that symbolize? I don't know, but it would look pretty cool.

Patrick
07-07-2004, 11:27 PM
I actually like the Chihuly sculpture idea. I bet that would be pretty costly though.
The Indian would've been great near the Native American Cultural Center, but I guess Tulsa beat us on that one. I'll continue to think of more ideas. Actually, it's probably a good idea we didn't go with an Indian or Cowboy, because aren't we trying to get away from our Hick label? Let's dream up something futuristic. One thing about the archway in St. Louis and the space needle in Seattle.....they're all futuristic and modern.

Maybe we could just have a space needle, but makeit all brick and put it in Bricktown. That would at least make it unique.

TStheThird
07-08-2004, 08:22 AM
The more I think about it, a giant Chihuly glass sculpture housed inside a giant glass tower would be quite remarkable. Especially at night... think about what that would look like as you were passing by.

floater
07-08-2004, 09:11 AM
I my thoughts (I too am a dreamer) the arts district should develop a master plan. One my ideas was to develop a unique streetlight system that incorporated a Chihuly glass sculpture as the bulb, with stainless steel posts. All this antique lighting is getting old.

TStheThird
07-08-2004, 09:15 AM
That could be awesome. That would definantly help make the Arts District unique. I like that idea a lot. I would really like to see the Arts District developed more.

I spent some time in Prague a few months ago. One thing that I enjoyed about that city was the countless number of art studios. We probably walked into at least 20 studios full of the works of local artists. It was great.

floater
07-08-2004, 10:07 AM
Yeah, it would be great to bring some Paseo-style action to the arts district. We have to provide the live/work housing that would make them want to locate downtown. Actually, the upper floors of the Bricktown warehouses are ideal for this...

Patrick
07-09-2004, 01:42 AM
Yeah, the art district definitely needs something to set it apart from the cenral business district. Right now it kind of just all squeezes together. It needs an automobile alley type effect....it's clearly separated from the central business district. I think your idea of using Chihuly style lights would be great. Probably pretty costly, but maybe a MAPS III idea.

I agree that the upper floors of the Bricktown warehouses are ideal to bring in artists, but that would probably draw away from the Art district itself. What we need are some apartments built on the other side of Sycamore Square that have art studio space on the lower floors with lofts above. But, we first need to set the Art's District apart like I've already mentioned.

BTW, whoever mentioned the need for an opera is correct. I'd love to see one.

Luke
08-25-2004, 06:02 PM
I like the idea of a tower like the CN tower in Toronto or the Space Needle in Seattle or the Stratosphere in Las Vegas. A large tower with a revolving restaurant would be a great addition to the skyline. At the bottom could be a hotel/convention center much like the Hyatt in Dallas.

HOT ROD
08-25-2004, 09:40 PM
We had an idea from the old Maps, it was a 600 foot tower resembling an Oil Derrick.

Patrick
08-26-2004, 12:05 AM
Yeah, I sent about about 50 letter back then trying to get local corporations and the city interested in the oil derrick concept. Philips 66 seemed interested at the time, but we never got further than just discussing the issue. I think for such a development to occur, the city would have to step up and express approval and seek private support, similar to what the state did for the dome project. By the way,I even entertained the idea to Blake Wade with the Centennial Commission, hoping that maybe we could get it included as one of the Centennial projects. Unfortunately, I didn't have much luck in trying to convince him.

For those of you that may not know what we're talking about, a few years back a few of us (floater, Keith, Mr. Anderson, Hot Rod, and several others) got together and put together a proposal for 600 foot tall oil tower, to dominate the skyline and become a landmark for our city. We proposed a two floor structure at the top of the tower, one with either the Petroleum Club or a fancy restaurant similar to Nikz, and the other floor with an Oklahoma museum and gift shop in the middle, surrounded by an indoor/outdoor observation deck. We had several ideas for what would be at the bottom of the structure....everything from an ice rink, to a skating rink, to a hotel, etc.

Anyways, I thought it as a great idea, but our city leaders thought otherwise. I guess it probably is true that at the present times we have more immediate concerns to deal with, namely breathing new life in our schools, renovating our decaying state fair grounds, beautifying our city, etc.

okcpulse
08-26-2004, 12:19 AM
Actually, let's go outside the box of Oklahoma's oil industry heritage. I've pondered this idea for years for Oklahoma City, and it may fit us well.

In light of the new space port to be taking shape at Burns Flat, why don't we build a 1,000 ft. space tower in downtown Oklahoma City? I know Seattle has a space needle. So does Dallas, and San Antonio, Las Vegas, Toronto Montreal and Calgary. However, ours will have a different purpose.

The Andromeda Space Tower, as I call it, will be the symbol of Oklahoma's next gold mine... the space industry. Or private space industry, if you will. The Andromeda Space Tower (named for our neighboring galaxy) will boast two restaurants with views 800 feet above Oklahoma City, a public observation deck with telescopes and binoculars, and a mini-observatory on the top floor with a telescope that can see through light pollution from the city. At the base of the tower will be an Oklahoma Space Museum, dedicated to Oklahoma's astronauts... hey, many of NASA's pioneering astronauts are from Oklahoma.

What are your thoughts on building a monument of this magnitude not for Oklahoma's past, but for Oklahoma's future? The Andromeda Space Tower should be our landmark.

Patrick
08-26-2004, 12:35 AM
Sounds like a plan to me......but I would probably weight a few years to make sure the space program is indeed going to take off in our state. That last thing we need is another reminder of what could've happened (for example, the "Galleria").

If you guys have any other ideas on largelandmarks that could identify our city, please feel free to express them! The more dreamers, the better!

Joe Schmoe
08-26-2004, 09:41 AM
A giant tubular sculpture resembling a tumbleweed!

If constructed properly & out of the right materials, it could be light enough to be blown by the wind. Buckminster Fuller had an idea of making giant geodesic spheres about a mile across that would be light enough to float in the air. Buy heating up the air inside the tubing by only five degrees, it would be enough to give lift.

I've always loved that image of giant spherical cargo transports floating in the sky. One of the reasons that Fuller was really a visionary genius.

Ours would be smaller, but the weight to surface area ratio would be efficient enough that the wind could blow it around, in the same way that a normal sized tumbleweed moves... A massive moving monument.

"Last week it was down by the river, but Monday a big wind came through & now its down by the airport..."

The world's only 400 ft. dia. moving sculpture. That would be modern, with advanced technology & materials & yet evocative of this great prairie sea that we live on the edge of.

Well, there would be a small problem with traffic, children & small animals, but what price art & legend?

:D

Patrick
08-26-2004, 12:45 PM
LOL! That would be pretty cool though.....maybe wqe could just have it located in an area on the river enclosed by nice brick or stone walls or something, with vines growing up them. That way it wouldn't blow all ver the place. People could come and watch it move around in the wind. This would definitely be unique!

Any other ideas anyone?

Joe Schmoe
08-26-2004, 04:36 PM
I like the idea of a traveling monument, with some danger & uncertainty associated with it.

Randomly wreaking havoc like our weather. I think it is a perfect image for us.

I see where NASA has a Mars rover project called Tumbleweed with a spherical probe to be blown around the Martian desert.

It may not be practical for OKC, but nonetheless, I have a new longterm art project.

The construction of artificial tumbleweed structures. Might be fun to see what range of sizes can be made to work.

Modular, fractal based geometries.

I've generaly not liked the idea of a large oil derick, but the association of its look with the Eiffel Tower is fantastic. I love it. The Okie Eiffel.

:D

okcstylez
08-26-2004, 05:19 PM
What every happened to The Green Light Attraction Close to downtown in The Park? They said that was going to be a "St Louis Arch" attraction for us. It was supposed to shine high into the sky thousands of feet. I always thought this project was unique just im not sure when its supposed to be completed or even started on?

floater
08-26-2004, 05:51 PM
That Tumbleweed idea actually sounds pretty cool! It'd be an artistic play on the stereotype!! And it'd be an interactive art installation: I can just imagine people pushing it onto the Oklahoma! River just like a huge beach ball!! :)

And okcstylez, we are getting the green "Beacon of Hope" back...in a park downtown. Here's the story. Also, an update on the project is in Downtown OKC's website,"Skyline Snapshot"...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Downtown gains 'Beacon of Hope' - 2/9/2004

Journal Record

Downtown Oklahoma City will soon have a "Beacon of Hope" illuminating the sky with a green beam of light directing residents and visitors to the city's central core.

The light will be beamed a few thousand feet high into the sky by a 100-foot tall monolithic sculpture that will become the focal point of Founders Plaza at Stiles Park located in Oklahoma City's historic Stiles Park at the northeast corner of Centennial Expressway and NW Sixth Street. The park is being developed by the Oklahoma Health Center Foundation, which will act as an entrance to the Oklahoma Health Center campus.

"What we have planned is to turn this historic park into something the community can be proud of while at the same time retaining the history of the park," says Hershel Lamirand, executive director of the Oklahoma Health Center Foundation.

Lamirand explains that the purpose of the park is to commemorate and celebrate the 40th anniversary in 2005 of the founding of the Oklahoma Health Center concept by five of Oklahoma City's most distinguished businessmen ? Dean A. McGee, Stanton L. Young, E.K. Gaylord, Harvey P. Everest and Don O'Donoghue.

In 1964, the five men journeyed to Houston to visit the Texas Medical Center, which inspired them to cast the vision for the Oklahoma Health Center. Work on the center began one year later in 1965.

"Our vision behind this project is to recognize these men for their contribution," adds Lamirand.

While plans for the park have been in development since 2002, the foundation was officially given the green light from the Oklahoma City Council during last week's meeting to use the 0.9-acre park for construction of the monument.

According to the agreement, the foundation will pay for all improvements, landscape maintenance and utilities.

Now that the foundation has received approval, Lamirand expects construction on the project to begin within the next six months. The goal is to have Founders Plaza complete by April 2005 in time to officially commemorate the 40th anniversary.

At a projected cost of $600,000, funding for the project will come from fund-raising efforts and proceeds from the Oklahoma Health Center's Treasures for Tomorrow program. The program hosts a special event each spring to honor the community's "living treasures" and spotlight the work being done at the Oklahoma Health Center. This year's event will be on April 15. Proceeds from the 2002 through 2005 events will be used for construction of Founders Plaza.
In addition, Lamirand says that a 00,000 endowment will also be established for the continued maintenance of the monument and the park.

Local architect Rand Elliott of Elliott Associates designed the project that will be anchored by the "Beacon of Hope." The green beacon will be projected both day and night by a 100-foot-high steel base that is eight feet in diameter. The cylinder will rest on a 625-square-foot site while the light is illuminated by a beam of over 1 million foot-candles of power.

"We hope the beacon will serve as a guiding light for Oklahomans to be seen during the day and night," says Lamirand.

Furthermore, Lamirand hails the structure as one of the most important projects in terms of drawing tourists to the downtown area and instilling a sense of hometown pride in local residents. While the beacon will serve as an entrance to the Health Center, Lamirand adds the beacon is also designed to act as a gateway to direct people to all of the activity taking place in the central core such as Bricktown, the central business district and the various MAPS projects.

"The beacon will be the focal point going into downtown Oklahoma City," he explains.

Lamirand adds that the foundation hopes the beacon will give Oklahoma City an identifiable structure to visitors who travel into Oklahoma City via air or interstate. He compares the project to such other recognizable landmarks as the Gateway Arch in St. Louis and the Washington Monument in Washington, D.C.

"Oklahoma City does not have an identifiable structure like that and we hope that this 'Beacon of Hope' will serve as a gateway to our community," adds Lamirand.

In addition to the monolithic structure, the park will also consist of extensive landscaping, pathways, benches and information on the five founders of the Oklahoma Health Center.

Founders Plaza at Stiles Park will mark the third beautification project the Treasurers for Tomorrow has funded. The initiative has also funded The Live Oak Grove and The Jimmy Everest Garden Walk, which are both located on the Oklahoma Health Center campus.

Since its inception, the Oklahoma Health Center has grown into 300-acre campus housing 25 private, educational, governmental and nonprofit organizations. The center also has more than 12,500 employees and contributes an estimated $3 billion annually to the state's economy.

Luke
08-26-2004, 05:53 PM
I think it was mentioned in the most recent skyline snapshot from downtownokc.com.

http://www.downtownokc.com/pdfs/skyline_snapshot_3rd_Quarter_2004.pdf

HOT ROD
08-27-2004, 11:15 PM
Just my opinion, no tumbleweeds please.

We dont have them in OKC anyways, so why have a memorial to them. Much of the nation has the :grapes of wrath opinion about OKC and we have done much to convince them otherwise.

OKC is as modern as any other major city, so our monument needs to pay tribute to something meaning Oklahoma. Sure, Texas gets all the credit for Oil but we could have been the first to have a memorial of it.

Seattle's space needle is considered by most to be modern but in-fact it is art Moderne, Vegas is modern, as is Vancouver's. Their needles have way more glass and smooth surfaces with light-effects than Seattle's, which is an icon of steel with a steel saucer on top. Some have even called Seattle's needle retro, as it was the first of such needle futuristic monuments. Modern structures require glass, key example in OKC are OK Tower and Leadership Square. Lots of glass! Smooth "neat" surface.

What makes Seattle's Space Needle look modern is the skyline, as there are many skyscrapers with the modern design. We have almost no art deco, but we have lots of art moderne and modern skyscrapers. A few international style. so, when you see the popular pics of Seattle, the needle looks current, but when you just view the needle, you see that it is not modern architecture, but a twist on art deco.

That aside, I think a derrick (modern design) would have been great for OKC. It would have given us a focal point (like the space needle in seattle) that could be viewed prominently day and night with functionality, lights, and a twist on architecture (like vegas). Too bad we could not hire an architect, as I think it would have been difficult not to approve if it were.

Patrick
08-27-2004, 11:37 PM
Well Hot Rod...your discussion about tumbleweeds makes me think that we should rethink the oil derrick idea as well......afterall, Houston is known as the oil capital, and we'd look a little funny building an oil derrick, claiming to be the oil capital!
I think we could try to look for something more modernistic, possibly. Let's start looknig forward instead of looking at the present and past.

Luke
08-28-2004, 09:09 AM
I think we should go all out and build the tallest tower in the world. Currently, that designation belongs to the CN Tower in Canada. It stands 1,815 feet tall. That is 1,315 feet taller than the tallest building in Oklahoma City (Bank1 at 500 feet). Of course, an observation deck and a rotating restaurant would be at the top. I think its design should be modern.

Heck, even if we didn't build the tallest in the world, let's at least get a tower downtown. That would add a lot, in my opinion.

okcstylez
08-28-2004, 09:52 AM
I think we should stick to Trying to get a land Mark That would make Oklahoma City have the tallest Building or structure at least In Oklahoma. Tulsa has held this crown for a long time. A tower Somewhat maybe Closer to 800 Ft. In Size would be great around downtown. Therefore it wont stand out way to much it still fits in With the flow of downtown Buildings. Also something Unique such as a brick Tower as someone I believe mentioned. I remember thinking What the hell are they doing with the Ford Center when they started out lying the brick but now i think its awesome. And obviously the Ford Center being a Very inexpensive Arena to be built it wouldnt be so much of a hassle to round up the money to Add bricks up a 800ft Tower (Space Tower Im Refering to). Maybe The tower can look just like a normal Modern Tower With an Observation Deck and maybe have the Citys 2nd Revolving Restraunt. Yet the Brick Would set it out to Be An Oklahoma Style Tower. And even if the brick Style dont settle in It would be nice to Just say We the capital And largest City in This state hold the Crown Once again As having the tallest Tower in Our State.

Patrick
08-28-2004, 04:57 PM
Hmmmm.....that sounds like a wonderful idea.....a "Bricktower" in the middle of Bricktown! Wouldn't that be a nice fit? How about we build it on the parking lot across from Spaghetti Warehouse, right in the heart of Bricktown? :)

Luke
08-28-2004, 10:31 PM
I just had a thought. How about this:

Get that vacant lot on "canal corner" (the one that's over a million dollars) and build a 10 or so story warehouse wall to wall against the other warehouses on either side. Fill it with shops, galleries and eateries. A miniature mall if you will. In Dallas, the West End Marketplace is the idea i'm going for. It's cool.

To top it off (literally) have the brick tower shooting straight up out of the top of the building. That would be the anchor of Bricktown.

Side note: Could someone buy the land on canal corner AND the land across the canal from it (currently, the sloped hill) and build a building over the whole thing with room for the water taxis to pass through? That way the building could have substantially more space. It would be unique. However, it might be too big.... Just a thought.

okcstylez
08-28-2004, 11:11 PM
Sounds like a great Idea would make Bricktown a hot spot for Retail in the City. The Tower Sounds great to be on top and would im sure have a great view and would be a great Tourist Attraction in itself.

Patrick
08-30-2004, 12:42 AM
I've always liked the idea of constructing a building over the canal.

I think a high-rise hotel built on those properties and over the canal would be cool......the lobby could be located at canal level and the water taxis could pass right through the lobby of the hotel! How cool would that be?

Regardless, the concept could be used for any use. The brick tower shopping center sounds like a winner! Call it the Bricktower Marketplace, or something like that. The canal level of the building, where the taxis would pass through, could contain the Water Taxi offices (currently in the Miller Jackson Building), a storage marina for the taxis (similar to what the taxis in San Antonio have- complete with a maintenance garage, storage docks, and all), the ticket booth, and open space covered by the floors above for people to wait in line for canal boat rides....this would allow people to wait in the shade, out of the elements for a boat ride.

jbrown84
07-09-2005, 01:42 AM
I like the idea of some sort of monument or landmark. What if it were a memorial? I've always thought OKC needed some type of memorial to the USS Oklahoma. The Oklahoma had the second most casualties at Pearl Harbor after the Arizona, but is largely overlooked at the USS Arizona Memorial in Hawaii. Perhaps the tower could be some sort of artistic spire shape, and the bottom could contain a memorial museum to the men who died and were wounded on the Oklahoma. If you did that it probably wouldn't be appropriate to have a revolving restaurant at the top, but you could still have an observation deck.

I don't know, perhaps simple bronze statue with a marble base in the expanded Myriad Gardens "central park" is more appropriate for a USS Oklahoma Memorial.

HOT ROD
07-10-2005, 02:54 PM
I like the idea of an expanded Myriad Gardens "central park" if it were expanded westward to include festival plaza and Stage Centre. There could be large pedestrian bridges over Hudson Avenue connecting the two sides, or just put that portion of Hudson in a tunnel.

As for the landmark, I think OKC needs some sort of tower landmark. We have WAY TOO MUCH flat structures and sprawling complexes. We need something were people can look out over the city and enjoy.

Im not saying we need to copy anybody here either, we had an Oil Derrick idea which would pay homage to our OIL history (and current leadership). The landmark should be located in the park (gardens) and would be the anchor only second to the Botanical tube. However, the tower would become the anchor of OKC; the landmark that is not only seen but the landmark to SEE Oklahoma City!!!

Patrick
07-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Although a few of us on this forum had suggested an oil derrick landmark, I've sense had my reservations about that. I think we'd become a laughingstock to the rest of the nation, knowing that Tulsa was once the oil capitol. I think we should brainstorm ideas for another landmark. Any ideas?

TheImmortal
07-10-2005, 09:30 PM
a giant parking meter with an observation deck! Who is with me!!! hahaha. just kidding of course.

HOT ROD
07-10-2005, 11:01 PM
Giant Shopping Cart?

Patrick
07-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Giant Wal-Mart sign? Bentonville is too small for such a structure...since we're their testing market, why not! Just kidding of course.

fromdust
07-11-2005, 09:25 PM
i heard that this guy in kc is looking to build a highrise that looks like a tornado. if hes not doing that anymore we should take his idea. its more appropriate here.

TheImmortal
07-11-2005, 10:40 PM
that would actually be really interesting to see. although i'd have to say santiago calatrava would have to be the architect for the project definatly. i just wish we could have a more significant landmark downtown. but i think another thing is to consider maybe how the bombing memorial could be improved so maybe include something like this. obviously nothing huge or tall. but something innovative that would improve on what we already have. i will have to say having been to DC and many of America's memorials, i would say ours is easily one of the top 5 most beautiful memorials out there. there is nothing I love better than to take friends from out of town there and watch them be totally suprised and facinated by what it has to offer.

fromdust
07-12-2005, 09:06 PM
yeah the building that looks like a tornado is cool and we should do it, but if its done somewhere else i dont want to copy. i posted this idea on another thread. along the river near downtown we could build this huge complex. residential/market or any various mix use. but this is the thing that would set it apart. we should design it in the same fashion as the hanging gardens of ancient babylon. have you seen the pics of what this place was like? awesome! if anyone were to see that on tv or a postcard they would know that what they are looking at is okc.

Patrick
07-13-2005, 06:31 PM
a giant parking meter with an observation deck! Who is with me!!! hahaha. just kidding of course.

Apparently downtownguy took your idea somewhat seriously:

"At www.okctalk.com, they're talking about landmarks again. One idea, brought up in jest, is something I've pondered seriously for a while now: install an original parking meter at the spot where the first one in the world stood, at Park and Robinson in downtown OKC.

It's a part of our history, and with plans to replace the current system with high tech meters, why not have some fun and put up one original model, with the original price? Attach a plaque, explaining how OKC was where parking meters were invented. Dave Lopez, are you reading this? After you quit laughing, think about it. The corner I speak of is frequently crossed by pedestrians walking between the Memorial and the Myriad Gardens and Bricktown. We take ourselves too seriously. Remember those words, "first and only"? The parking meter would become a photo spot, and while we may worry about people going back home, laughing at photos of the city having the first parking meter, think about this: those photos will also show a very urban OKC. It doesn't get better than Park and Robinson. First National. Robinson Renassaince. Leadership Square. UMB Bank Tower.

This would take very little money to pull off, and would give the central business district a fun draw for tourists. And with tourists stopping at the meter (and they will - they love little gimicks like this) it will be easier to get them to step inside First National - and into the Great Banking Hall where the tourism department will have its new downtown visitor center.

- The Downtown Guy
www.downtownguy.blogspot.com"

Karried
07-13-2005, 07:52 PM
An elevated house with a circular wire structure surrounding it depicting a tornado and giant ruby slippers sticking out - the porch being the observation deck ....... oh no wait, that's Kansas :-) sheesh, we can't even have a claim to fame regarding tornados!

Curt
07-13-2005, 07:57 PM
sheesh, we can't even have a claim to fame regarding tornados!
LMAO, Karrie...dont feel too bad, Michigan doesnt have a claim to fame for it's weather either, not a good claim anyway.

TheImmortal
07-14-2005, 10:21 PM
so he did, ive heard him mention it before and i really like his idea. i love finding things like that in a town im visiting. plus tourists love free amusements. i think he should look into the cost and feasability of getting it put in. Definatly a unique little idea there.

floater
07-14-2005, 10:42 PM
Actually, the parking meter idea isn't bad. It is on one the busiest intersections (at least the most big-cityish -- surrounded by towers on all corners) in the city.

sweetdaisy
07-15-2005, 07:47 AM
I think we should just start a PR campaign based on the extreme sport of driving on our roadways. It's action, adventure, and danger anytime you cross one of our bridges! Ooh! And our landmark could be a big pothole!! WHEE!!!

Okay, i'm being a smartypants this morning. Sorry...feeling kinda saucy for some reason. :)

floater
07-15-2005, 08:05 AM
I like saucy :p

:backtotop

mranderson
07-15-2005, 08:09 AM
I think we should just start a PR campaign based on the extreme sport of driving on our roadways. It's action, adventure, and danger anytime you cross one of our bridges! Ooh! And our landmark could be a big pothole!! WHEE!!!

Okay, i'm being a smartypants this morning. Sorry...feeling kinda saucy for some reason. :)

Yes. Just imagine the thrill of driving down a freeway at 65 and slamming into a car doing 50 or less. Then, if you are lucky enough to get around that car without slamming into it, dodging all the cars that whip into your lane without using that stick coming from the left side of their steering wheel. OR when you are cruising at 60 or so entering a freeway with a clear number two lane and some jerk decides not to yield to you. Then before you enter that freeway, some clown stops short on these "Texas turnarounds" because they want to skip into a parking lot instead of doing it safely and using both traffic lights.

Yes. We can call it Oklahoma City Freeway destruction derby. It destroys your car AND your mind.:fighting2 :fighting3

sweetdaisy
07-15-2005, 08:24 AM
OMG! That's soooo funny! :LolLolLol Can't stop laughing at the visual!

I know, I know...back on the topic!

CuatrodeMayo
07-21-2005, 11:09 AM
We need to think outside the oil derick/giant indian/brick tower box.

OKC is not about oil or bricks or indians, or whatever. Those are elements of what OKC should celebrate in the 21st century--Change.

How about an 800-1000 ft kinetic sculpture symbolizing the past, present, and future of OKC? It could be a tower of sweeping curves that would change shapes in the wind. I could refect and refract sunlight and change colors in the sunlight. At night, it could have an ever-changing lighting systems that would give it distinctive "moods". Something along the lines of a Santiago Calatrava design. It would represent way our city has changed and the way it is moving into the future. It could have an observation platform that is accessed by an exciting elevator ride that threads through the structure or by climbing an open stairway.

A landmark this forward-thinking would inspire the citizens of OKC and would be recoginzable to the entire world as the symbol of the Spirit of Oklahoma City.

mranderson
07-21-2005, 11:34 AM
We chose the oil tower because Oklahoma does have a very rich oil heritage. The oil industry (unless you prefer the pronounciation of the term ohl-benez) is far from being a hick industry.

We felt it would be a symbol of the state that is identifiable and unique.

I do admit, however, I very much like your idea. If it is done in an ultramodern design, it may work.

Curt
07-21-2005, 02:05 PM
I kinda like the giant arrows sticking out of the ground at Will Rogers airport, no joke, I like them.

The Old Downtown Guy
07-21-2005, 03:25 PM
I like the landmark concept but on a more human scale. Sure, Saint Louis has its arch and I guess Tulsa will have a monumental sculpture in the near future. Should we try to keep up by construction a six story oil derrick or similar gigantic structure? I guess the Elliott designed beacon in Stiles Circle might be considered such a landmark. And, if you include the light beam, taller than any other on the planet.

We have lots of sidewalk level landmarks that were not contrived as such, but are just that; landmarks. A landmark simply tells you where you are. If the landmark is monumental like the Empire State Building, it becomes a symbol, not necessarily just a landmark.

The Murrah Memorial is definitely OKC’s premier landmark. The Chihuly sculpture at the OKCMOA is a landmark, as is the Buckminster Fuller inspired Gold Dome Bank Building at 23rd and Classen. The new Land Rush bronze assemblage south of Bricktown certainly qualifies. They are all more pedestrian in scale and are where they are for a purpose; more personal.

I’m not in favor of constructing a monumental piece to “put OKC on the map” so to speak. That would be trying too hard.

Karried
07-21-2005, 03:38 PM
A landmark this forward-thinking would inspire the citizens of OKC and would be recoginzable to the entire world as the symbol of the Spirit of Oklahoma City.

You are my new nomination for Mayor - love this idea....

jbrown84
07-21-2005, 05:49 PM
[QUOTE=mranderson]We chose the oil tower because Oklahoma does have a very rich oil heritage. The oil industry (unless you prefer the pronounciation of the term ohl-benez) is far from being a hick industry.

We felt it would be a symbol of the state that is identifiable and unique.[QUOTE]

I don't think it's very unique though. There's this thing at Six Flags Over Texas that is a giant oil derrick with an observation platform at the top. We would be the laughing stock of the entire country if we built the same thing.

Oil is not that unique to Oklahoma, but the Land Run is. I agree we need to empasize the Land Run Monument because it will be very significant when it's done. I think we need to push for it to be declared a National Monument or at least a national historic site.

floater
07-21-2005, 09:13 PM
We need to think outside the oil derick/giant indian/brick tower box.

OKC is not about oil or bricks or indians, or whatever. Those are elements of what OKC should celebrate in the 21st century--Change.

How about an 800-1000 ft kinetic sculpture symbolizing the past, present, and future of OKC? It could be a tower of sweeping curves that would change shapes in the wind. I could refect and refract sunlight and change colors in the sunlight. At night, it could have an ever-changing lighting systems that would give it distinctive "moods". Something along the lines of a Santiago Calatrava design. It would represent way our city has changed and the way it is moving into the future. It could have an observation platform that is accessed by an exciting elevator ride that threads through the structure or by climbing an open stairway.

I like your imagination. Sounds like a project for Rand Elliott and a very capable engineer.

plmccordj
11-05-2005, 03:14 PM
Are these ideas intended for actual development or are we dreaming? I like them but is there anyone on these boards that are in a position to implement any of these ideas? I agree that we need something to catch attention. Our new beacon of hope light looks cool but is not very visable. I live in Del City only 4 miles away and I cannot see it at all.

Paul

Patrick
11-05-2005, 08:16 PM
Oh, there are many city leaders on this site, including our very own mayor, Mick Cornett. But, you have to remember, in coming up with a city budget, is a landmark tower really at the top of the list? It could be considered for a future MAPS project, but I would think there are other projects that would be more important.

Several years ago myself and mranderson tried to get a group of local corporations to buy into the idea and contribute money to the project. I was rejected by every CEO I spoke with.

JOHNINSOKC
11-06-2005, 04:11 PM
Maybe now is the time to revisit the idea of a landmark with more attention being focused on OKC lately by way of the Hornets and the NBA. Has anyone noticed that the First National Tower hasn't been lit up lately? Although our city is booming with lots of good news, something needs to change regarding our skyline. We've had the same one for over 20 years. OKC is probably the only major city that hasn't built anything new in that period of time. Perhaps better marketing to businesses in the suburbs will help. Everyone knows the advantages of being downtown these days. Parking should not be an excuse since more is coming online soon. It's a disgrace that OKC has to become so sprawled out with office parks in the suburbs. This city should follow the examples of Portland and Seattle, both of whom have large and dense downtowns. In the 1980's, it was cool to have those towers on N.W. Expressway since it gave the illusion of having two downtowns. But these days, the in thing is to develop the main core. Looking back, if those buildings had all been built downtown, we wouldn't have the vacancy problems we are encountering today. OKC does need a landmark, specifically something that really stands out like a new gleaming tower downtown that really gets the attention of people driving through town or any executives from companies that come to OKC scouting for a location to put their business. Hopefully, if we keep the Hornets, many things will change for the better.

HOT ROD
11-06-2005, 11:49 PM
And the interesting thing about downtown Portland, is it is not very tall at all. They only have three towers at the 500 foot mark or above.

But they have LOTS of 20 something buildings and downtown is very alive.

Downtown Seattle has signature office towers and is VERY attractive to look at. Neither downtown is what I would say "alive" but Portland is taking the lead in that category - with its residential population boom.

I hope OKC can follow Portland's examples in many ways --- the two cities are more similar than you all think!

okrednk
11-07-2005, 03:41 AM
Okay, this might be going outside the box a little, but what the heck. What about a huge tornado, something that would rotate doesn't have to be a solid object just something that resembeled a tornado and at night would light up with many colors to intensify it. Would be something neat to look at, maybe put like a museum in the middle of this and have it so you could take a trip up to a top floor say 20 or 30 stories, go out on the rooftop and enjoy the skyline. Just a crazy idea.

metro
11-07-2005, 08:30 AM
We've had the same one for over 20 years. OKC is probably the only major city that hasn't built anything new in that period of time

I'm not sure where you have been the last 5-10 years, we have a 15-17 story new Renaissance Hotel, a 10 story Courtyard, a new library, Ford Center, Museum of Art, and more. Why all of the new development may not be 40 + stories, they are newer than 20 years and some of them DO add to the skyline. We're even getting a new 10 story hotel right in Bricktown!

JOHNINSOKC
11-07-2005, 10:59 AM
I was talking about buildings at least as tall as the Chase Tower or Oklahoma Tower. Something that REALLY sticks out.