View Full Version : Xfl

Pages : [1] 2 3

Zuplar
01-26-2018, 11:01 PM
With the recent announcement that the XFL will be returning in 2020, it got me thinking is this something OKC should try for. This time around they plan to be more fan centric and family friendly. Might be interesting to see what happens.

OKCisOK4me
01-27-2018, 12:04 AM
Traber was talking about this on The Animal today. Sorry, but I agree with him. Prob not gonna happen. As he stated...which team is gonna give up their stadium? Tulsa? OU?

soonermike81
01-27-2018, 12:06 AM
With the recent announcement that the XFL will be returning in 2020, it got me thinking is this something OKC should try for. This time around they plan to be more fan centric and family friendly. Might be interesting to see what happens.

No, it will be a wasted effort. Second rate athletes in a second rate league. Haven’t read up on it all, but not sure what McMahon is thinking will make it different this go-around.

Zuplar
01-27-2018, 01:16 AM
Traber was talking about this on The Animal today. Sorry, but I agree with him. Prob not gonna happen. As he stated...which team is gonna give up their stadium? Tulsa? OU?

Well the league is a winter/spring league so would be completely doable to play in Norman. I get that it’s second rate but if they learned from their mistakes I think it could be successful. They are looking at speeding up the game and making them shorter. I think they might be on to something but time will tell.

dankrutka
01-27-2018, 08:34 AM
I’ll bet this never takes off. This is just my opinion, but CTE research is increasingly showing the long term dangers of playing football. Soon, it seems players will be able to test whether they have a degenerative brain disease that causes memory loss, confusion, impaired judgment, impulse control problems, aggression, depression, suicidality, parkinsonism, and eventually progressive dementia. Parents and kids are going to increasingly choose to play other sports. I think we’re going to see a real drop in the popularity of football in coming years. Unfortunately, there’s really no way to make the game safe as CTE is caused as much by the everyplay hits as the targeting ones.

If you’re dismissive of CTE and have never watched the Frontline documentary then I really recommend you do so: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/league-of-denial/

And, the evidence for CTE has increased dramatically since the documentary too. I don’t think there’s going to be a market for another football league in the future and I see the current leagues losing a lot of popularity.

On a side note, this could be good for OKC as I see the NBA increasing its popularity in the void.

Zuplar
01-27-2018, 08:42 AM
I agree Dan CTE is really starting to affect parents letting kids play, which will degrade the popularity of football. I know the XFL mentioned this is something they are focusing on when re-imaging football so will be interesting to see if they can make a difference where people still want to play.

Thomas Vu
01-27-2018, 09:14 AM
I didn't think they were marketing for safe football. Wasn't their message that safety was beginning to be a detriment to the game the first go around?

dankrutka
01-27-2018, 09:43 AM
I didn't think they were marketing for safe football. Wasn't their message that safety was beginning to be a detriment to the game the first go around?

I have no clue how they marketed the XFL the first time around, but there was no CTE research then. My point is that football in general is going to lose popularity across the board (less fans, players, interest) in the coming years.

OKCretro
01-27-2018, 09:48 AM
the xfl could have a team in the stadium we build for Funk, who will still be looking for a MLS.........

jerrywall
01-27-2018, 10:01 AM
Yeah. This is a no starter. Vince is the hype genius but he announced something two years off, no specific cities, no stadium agreements, no broadcasting or sponsorship deals. I expect this to die before it starts.

I actually enjoyed parts of the XFL last time, and am happy that some of thier technology innovations made there way into mainstream football, but I don't expect anything this time around. Vince should quit being embarrassed about being a wrastlin promoter and embrace it. I'd be proud of building something like he did.

Zuplar
01-27-2018, 11:21 AM
Duplicate post.

Urbanized
01-27-2018, 12:47 PM
I agree with Dan’s assessment; I’ve been thinking the same for a number of years now. Sadly I believe football as we now know it will be gone or at least unrecognizable in less than 20 years. I say this as a passionate, lifelong fan of the game.

bradh
01-27-2018, 01:06 PM
Same here. I have a couple friends who played football at P5 schools and they won't let their boys play.

Maybe we finally become a soccer nation. Football still will be around for a while though, it's the only way out for some kids.

Zuplar
01-28-2018, 12:27 PM
I think soccer could potentially take over. Seems like the alternative people are putting their kids in which I imagine means we are raising more and more soccer fans. Still I'd like to see some form of football survive, and I think it will because there will always be people wanting to take the risk to make the money.

Uptowner
01-28-2018, 12:27 PM
Besides the argument about the decline of football and CTE. This is something I would buy a season ticket to. I don’t know what kind of numbers they expect. But Taft is setup for football. And it could be RE-expanded to its former 18,000 capacity pretty easily. Alls I’m saying is yes, I would watch this. And btw it’s original concept was to have less rules and promote more violent play. As to the “second rate players” comment. The NFL is an extraordinary competitive sport. Players on the edge of a spot spend years training and attending summer camps with multiple teams even playing on the practice squad before they earn a spot or wash out. A league where Tim Tebow wasn’t good enough, josh white didnt get drafted or even invited to tryout. A league where first round picks are regularly chewed up and spit out. There’s enough semi-pro talent out there.

Laramie
01-28-2018, 01:38 PM

Traber was the one who said the NBA wouldn't work; OKC couldn't support the league long term; Tulsa may be ready for the XFL, TU has gone on record that they don't want to lease Chapman Stadium out to soccer or pro football.

the xfl could have a team in the stadium we build for Funk, who will still be looking for a MLS.........

http://www.stadiumbleachers.com/images/portfolio/820265D64040CE65976A47A6.jpg
XFL would only need the 65K lower bowl & some suites of GF Oklahoma Memorial Stadium

Like others have mentioned an expansion of Taft or an MLS style stadium would certainly catch Funk's eye. Also,
OKC-TUL football fans what about Stillwater?

Seems as though we had this debate when William S. Banowsky was OU's President (1978–1984) and the USFL wanted to relocate from Tulsa to OKC. They were willing to short-term lease Memorial Stadium until OKC could build its own stadium. It came with a price, a big chuck of stadium concessions. OU Regents finally balked on the stadium lease. The USFL moved to Phoenix (Arizona Outlaws).

Outlaws president Bill Tatham Jr. announced Monday the first-year team has officially abandoned its Tulsa home because he is dissatisfied with 40,000-seat Skelly Stadium and plans for a proposed domed stadium have not been finalized.

Tatham said he would like to relocate the team in Oklahoma City eventually. He said he hopes to play next season at the University of Oklahoma's Memorial Stadium in Norman, but the school's Board of Regents has yet to discuss the proposal.

Outlaws' Situation Upsets USFL's Simmons:: http://newsok.com/article/2074699

If the XFL can obtain a good TV contract with NBA type revenue-sharing the XFL can make it. Right now, fans are bored with the player debacle going on in the NFL. Oklahoma is football country worth exploring by the XFL. Jim Ross (currently resides in Norman & OU Alum) may have already put a bug in McMahon ear.

Look for St. Louis, San Diego, Memphis, Birmingham, Oklahoma City or Tulsa to be on the XFL's radar.

Zuplar
01-28-2018, 04:47 PM
Yeah I really think OKC might already be something the XFL looks into as a market that has one professional team but void of one for football. There is a lot of people I know hat would buy tickets to this especially if they are reasonably priced comeoares to the nfl.

mugofbeer
01-28-2018, 05:56 PM
XFL is like the Jerry Springer of football.

OKCretro
01-28-2018, 07:58 PM
Not sure if this is true or not but always heard that Boren made sure the field at memorial stadium would be long enough to make sure soccer would fit at memorial stadium. Thats why the sidelines are bigger than most football stadiums.
isn't a soccer pitch is generally wider than 100 yards?

bradh
01-28-2018, 08:07 PM
Not wider than 100 yards, but wider than football for sure

OKCretro
01-28-2018, 09:46 PM
Not wider than 100 yards, but wider than football for sure

you are right like 53 yards for football, and 70-80 for soccer

d-usa
01-28-2018, 09:50 PM
It’s very noticeable when they have soccer games at Jerry’s world in Arlington. There is only a couple feet of grass between the corner posts and the concrete there.

jn1780
01-29-2018, 08:34 AM
XFL is like the Jerry Springer of football.

Yeah, I don't think OU would even want XFL playing in their stadium. Their aware of all the future challenges football will face and they don't want to add to those challenges for such a gimmicky concept.

Richard at Remax
01-29-2018, 09:18 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL starts it's own developmental league. I'm kinda surprised they haven't already. If you have ever watched hard knocks on HBO there are so many talented players that get cut. Maybe bring back some of the talent that goes to the CFL, and be above the talent of arena league. I think it would be very successful. They would play over the spring and summer, and those prospects who do well could make it on the parent team in the fall.

Laramie
01-29-2018, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL starts it's own developmental league. I'm kinda surprised they haven't already. If you have ever watched hard knocks on HBO there are so many talented players that get cut. Maybe bring back some of the talent that goes to the CFL, and be above the talent of arena league. I think it would be very successful. They would play over the spring and summer, and those prospects who do well could make it on the parent team in the fall.

The NFL have the luxury of college football as their developmental league, don't look for them to buck this trend.

MitchellCole
01-29-2018, 01:43 PM
Well the league is a winter/spring league so would be completely doable to play in Norman. I get that it’s second rate but if they learned from their mistakes I think it could be successful. They are looking at speeding up the game and making them shorter. I think they might be on to something but time will tell.

THIS. NFL games are nearly unwatchable (at least the primetime games). Touchdown. Commercial. Extra Point. Commercial. Kickoff (usually touchback). Commercial. 1 yard run. Commercial (injury timeout). 3 and out. Commercial.

I doubt XFL will be a big hit, but if they do it right they could be somewhat successful with the Goodell cr*pfest, player kneeling and trump tweeting, domestic violence (XFL will have player standards), etc bringing NFL ratings down.

d-usa
01-29-2018, 01:45 PM
I think it’s a long shot, but with Trump and his known old anti-NFL feelings they might have a shot at giving it another go

MitchellCole
01-29-2018, 01:45 PM
I think soccer could potentially take over. Seems like the alternative people are putting their kids in which I imagine means we are raising more and more soccer fans. Still I'd like to see some form of football survive, and I think it will because there will always be people wanting to take the risk to make the money.

I'm afraid soccer is going to have a CTE issue arise some day due to headers and accidental headbutts.

Jersey Boss
01-29-2018, 01:48 PM
The NFL have the luxury of college football as their developmental league, don't look for them to buck this trend.

And it comes with no expense, no liability. Alternate leagues to the NFL have come and gone over the years. The USFL, the WFL, the UFL, to name but a few. All of them have failed. The last successful alternate league, the AFL merged with the NFL in 1970 after a run of 10 years. The XFL has a snow balls chance in hell of success. The NFL commands all the major markets and the stadiums in those cities won't have the XFL play there. Banished to small TV markets, insures no Tv ratings, which means no advertiser dollars.

Jersey Boss
01-29-2018, 01:53 PM
I think it’s a long shot, but with Trump and his known old anti-NFL feelings they might have a shot at giving it another go

Is Trump going to be an investor? Otherwise what does his feelings have anything to do with this getting off the ground?

Jersey Boss
01-29-2018, 01:55 PM
Yeah I really think OKC might already be something the XFL looks into as a market that has one professional team but void of one for football. There is a lot of people I know hat would buy tickets to this especially if they are reasonably priced comeoares to the nfl.

Other than baseball. minor league sports of late have fared poorly. AHL Barons and CBA Calvery being two examples.

Zuplar
01-29-2018, 02:00 PM
THIS. NFL games are nearly unwatchable (at least the primetime games). Touchdown. Commercial. Extra Point. Commercial. Kickoff (usually touchback). Commercial. 1 yard run. Commercial (injury timeout). 3 and out. Commercial.

I doubt XFL will be a big hit, but if they do it right they could be somewhat successful with the Goodell cr*pfest, player kneeling and trump tweeting, domestic violence (XFL will have player standards), etc bringing NFL ratings down.

The game/TV format could honestly be what makes or break this league. Make it shorter with less commercials and faster action, and there will be people tuning in, especially given it will happen when there is no NFL or college football.

And I agree on CTE making an impact on soccer. Honestly you could make the argument for most sports. At which point you take that risk or try to mitigate it. The more we learn about this disease the better we can handle it and protect players from it.

Zuplar
01-29-2018, 02:03 PM
Other than baseball. minor league sports of late have fared poorly. AHL Barons and CBA Calvery being two examples.

True, but an alternative to the NFL may make more noise and be more appealing. If they hit the ground running, and really put thought into it this time, they could have success.

Not sure how many people watched the 30 for 30 ESPN did on the XFL not too long ago, but looking back and reflecting on what they did wrong almost proves that had they not done some of the stupid stuff they did, they may very well have been around for at minimum a couple more seasons. I think Vince McMahon has learned a lot and I don't look for him to make the same mistakes. He's going to take advantage of technology and he's going to attempt to fix the problems that fans have with the NFL.

jn1780
01-29-2018, 02:31 PM
I'm afraid soccer is going to have a CTE issue arise some day due to headers and accidental headbutts.

Not nearly on the same level though as football though.

Jersey Boss
01-29-2018, 02:32 PM

Yeah, but all ratings are down. Cord cutters, non tv viewing etc. When looking to see what the most watched show of 2017 was, it was Sunday night NFL.
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-10-highest-rated-tv-shows-of-2017-according-to-nielsen-ratings-2017-12/#10-bull-cbs-144-million-average-viewers-1

d-usa
01-29-2018, 02:42 PM
Is Trump going to be an investor? Otherwise what does his feelings have anything to do with this getting off the ground?

Trumps history with the NFL influences his feelings against the league. He took on the NFL with the USFL, and it seems like there are still a lot of hard feelings from that time. He also might not be an investor in the XFL, but there are a lot of connections between the McMahon’s and Trump and it wouldn’t be surprising if he would support an anti-NFL league if not no other reason than to stick it to the NFL.

Trump’s tweets against the NFL helped politicize the issues going on, and they are part of the reason that there might be an opening for a league that is already using some of the same issues to differentiate themselves from the NFL. He already had some part in fueling an anti-NFL environment, and for many people it's their love for football that keeps them watching the NFL and their players whose actions they oppose. If there is an alternative league that manages to build a business on those feelings it might be more successful than the last time around, especially if they learned from their past failures. And even though Trump likely wouldn't be an investor, I wouldn't be surprised if he tweeted his support for Vince McMahon and stick it to the NFL.

I would not be surprised if a tweet like this would hit the internet to push supporters towards the XLF, and I wouldn't be surprised if it would be effective:

NFL lets players disrespect our Great American Flag. SAD. XFL players will STAND for our SOLDIERS and #MAGA by honoring our Great Flag. Proud of a league that SUPPORTS what our PATRIOTS fought and died for.

This isn't meant to be a political post, I'm just wondering what impact Trump might have had in this current development.

d-usa
01-29-2018, 02:46 PM
And it comes with no expense, no liability. Alternate leagues to the NFL have come and gone over the years. The USFL, the WFL, the UFL, to name but a few. All of them have failed. The last successful alternate league, the AFL merged with the NFL in 1970 after a run of 10 years. The XFL has a snow balls chance in hell of success. The NFL commands all the major markets and the stadiums in those cities won't have the XFL play there. Banished to small TV markets, insures no Tv ratings, which means no advertiser dollars.

The USFL didn't fold until it tried to compete against the NFL by switching to the same fall calendar if I recall. Between the NFL and college football, I don't think any football league will do well competing in the fall/winter. Unless the XFL uses a spring schedule they won't do well, even with the current anti-NFL feelings going on.

Zuplar
01-29-2018, 02:48 PM
The USFL didn't fold until it tried to compete against the NFL by switching to the same fall calendar if I recall. Between the NFL and college football, I don't think any football league will do well competing in the fall/winter. Unless the XFL uses a spring schedule they won't do well, even with the current anti-NFL feelings going on.

They plan on starting in February and do a late winter/early spring schedule. Seems like the best possible time to me. Right after the NFL ends and before summer when it gets too hot.

Jersey Boss
01-29-2018, 03:18 PM

https://sites.google.com/site/remembertheusfl/attendance
First year avg. agate- 25, 031
Second Year gate- 22, 590
Third year ( Switched to fall schedule from spring) gate- 24, 375.
Going to the fall increased attendance over prior year. Those kind of numbers spell failure. No franchises in major media markets for XFL spells failure. Even with the perceived anti NFl sentiments, they still out draw anything else on TV.

Laramie
01-29-2018, 04:50 PM
The XFL will have 2 years to figure this out. It will not survive in just large existing NFL markets and it certainly won't survive in just small markets. You know there will be a mixture of the two. The 3 largest markets New York, Los Angeles & Chicago will have teams.

Abandoned NFL markets with NFL stadiums:

St. Louis (2,807,002)
San Diego (3,317,749)
Oakland (4,679,166) losing Raiders to Vegas & Warriors to San Francisco

Name recognition markets with city owned stadiums exceeding 50,000.

Birmingham (1,147,417) XFL - Birmingham Thunderbolts
Memphis (1,342,842) XFL - Memphis Maniax
Orlando (2,441,257) - XFL - Orlando Rage
San Antonio (2,429,609)

Name recognition small markets:

Oklahoma City (1,373,211)
Portland (2,424,955)
Sacramento (2,296,418)
Salt Lake City (1,186,187)

New York, Los Angeles & Chicago will have teams; 5 teams will come from the remaining 10 name-recognition markets.

Zuplar
02-01-2018, 11:01 AM
Seems as though OKC barely missed being considered for this first expansion to Memphis.

OKC - 40%
Dallas - 7%
Austin - 7%
Memphis - 46%

West Division
San Diego
Las Vegas
Portland
Omaha

East Division
New York
Birmingham
Columbus
Memphis

Martin
02-01-2018, 11:07 AM
success is a long shot... but the biggest thing that turned me off the original xfl was the gimmicks. i think they'll have a better chance at success if they don't try to make it the "wwe" version of football.

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/6waS6gsmRi6lunp0CEhAqg--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9NjMwO2g9NDIwO2lsPX BsYW5l/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/sports/2015-09-23/7e559d50-61f5-11e5-9ce1-fb8e5df1638a_rod-smart-he-hate-me.jpg

Zuplar
02-01-2018, 11:14 AM
success is a long shot... but the biggest thing that turned me off the original xfl was the gimmicks. i think they'll have a better chance at success if they don't try to make it the "wwe" version of football.

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/6waS6gsmRi6lunp0CEhAqg--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9NjMwO2g9NDIwO2lsPX BsYW5l/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/sports/2015-09-23/7e559d50-61f5-11e5-9ce1-fb8e5df1638a_rod-smart-he-hate-me.jpg

Right, which is basically why it failed. Vince has said they plan a completely different approach to make it a family friendly, fan centric environment.

Jersey Boss
02-01-2018, 12:11 PM
It failed because the product was unadultaried crap

OKCRT
02-01-2018, 04:56 PM
It failed because the product was unadultaried crap

I guess you're not buying stock in the New XFL?

Jersey Boss
02-01-2018, 05:37 PM
I guess you're not buying stock in the New XFL?
"There's a sucker born every minute"- Barnum
This is going to compete for sports fans attention with March Madness, NBA playoffs, and Stanley Cup? Ever wonder why NCAA lower division playoffs get no publicity? Folks have zip interest in inferior product no matter how much lipstick you put on it. So how is Arena League Football doing these days? Whatta joke
There have been numerous attempts at this that failed. People though ignore history.

Laramie
02-01-2018, 08:22 PM
The XFL does have the potential to become an alternative to the NFL; more like a sophomore type league until it can build up reputable cities, ownership & TV contract.

If McMahon can get into the right (football crazed) markets--cities with name-recognition (St. Louis, San Diego, Raleigh, San Antonio & Oklahoma City) get franchises in the 3 largest markets (New York, Los Angeles & Chicago); expand to 12 teams into markets like Memphis, Birmingham, Dallas-Fort Worth & Houston. The league may build momentum over time.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/warehouse/getpubliccontent?contentId=d1abd26c-2425-4f35-a5f2-44ce483cc893
Oklahoma City Soccer Stadium https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/u1eb231e0-a69a-412f-87f2-88d375af1147/Oklahoma-City-Soccer-Stadium

Mockup version of Oklahoma City Soccer Stadium, if it were to be used for Oklahoma State High School Football Championships. #American_Football #Field #Football #High_School #Oklahoma #OSSAA #Skydance_Bridge #Stadium #State #Union_Station

Oklahoma City: Partnership with Funk & Funk Jr., build a 20,000-seat plus multi-level open air stadium with expansion capabilities. Get the city to help with TIF funds & infrastructure.

Not ready to past judgement that XFL will fail.

jerrywall
02-01-2018, 09:16 PM
Hah. I'll agree to disagree but the XFL will never become an NFL competitor in my opinion. Is there a place for a lower level league? Sure. Lots of sports have them. I place this with arena football at best. And I'm a huge WWE fan and have worked with Vince and Shane personally. I loved the innovations last time and hope for it this time but this is their new "Total Divas". It'll likely be on the WWE Network and whatever they say there will be a reality aspect to this. I have low expectations if this even happens.

Uptowner
02-02-2018, 03:49 AM
No one has even broached the topic of streaming media. It’s not hard these days to launch a platform that gels with Roku, Apple TV, chrome, etc. The last couple years have seen entire networks that solely exist on streaming. Not to mention original content by Netflix and amazon. XFL streamed live with amazon prime subscription? Yup.

Zuplar
02-02-2018, 07:37 AM
No one has even broached the topic of streaming media. It’s not hard these days to launch a platform that gels with Roku, Apple TV, chrome, etc. The last couple years have seen entire networks that solely exist on streaming. Not to mention original content by Netflix and amazon. XFL streamed live with amazon prime subscription? Yup.

I imagine this is the way they are going. Make it cheap or free. In general it will be interesting to see their approach because it is going to be different.

BLJR
02-02-2018, 10:37 AM
I think OU is very tight with their stadium. What other events have they ever had there? I know they have had some HS Football championships there, and the Rolling Stones played there in the 90's once, but I think that is pretty much it, other than sooner football.

dankrutka
02-02-2018, 11:20 AM
I’ll bet this never takes off. This is just my opinion, but CTE research is increasingly showing the long term dangers of playing football. Soon, it seems players will be able to test whether they have a degenerative brain disease that causes memory loss, confusion, impaired judgment, impulse control problems, aggression, depression, suicidality, parkinsonism, and eventually progressive dementia. Parents and kids are going to increasingly choose to play other sports. I think we’re going to see a real drop in the popularity of football in coming years. Unfortunately, there’s really no way to make the game safe as CTE is caused as much by the everyplay hits as the targeting ones.

If you’re dismissive of CTE and have never watched the Frontline documentary then I really recommend you do so: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/league-of-denial/

And, the evidence for CTE has increased dramatically since the documentary too. I don’t think there’s going to be a market for another football league in the future and I see the current leagues losing a lot of popularity.

These stories are coming out with more regularity and they're so gut wrenching. This one is from the wife of retired safety Rob Kelly: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/02/opinion/sunday/nfl-cte-brain-damage.html

"I don’t think the public has any idea how widespread this problem truly is. There are likely to be hundreds of wives and partners of football players, maybe more, who live a life like mine. Sadly, there is a feeling of shame among those affected, in both the men and their families. Rob and I hope that, in telling this story, we may help other families.

But who these men have become is not who they are, and I write that with conviction. The symptoms they display are beyond their control and occur through no fault of their own. These men chose football, but they didn’t choose brain damage.

I used to read all the articles about C.T.E., all the stories about football players committing suicide. I’d skim the comments to see remarks like: “They know what they signed up for” and “Of course football is bad for the brain, everyone knows that.”

But when all those big hits happened and the fans cheered, did they cheer in spite of knowing a man just greatly increased his risk for dementia? Was anyone worried about an A.L.S. diagnosis or a C.T.E.-related suicide at 40 after their favorite player suffered repeated blows to the head on the field? No, they cheered and they celebrated because they didn’t know. And neither did we."

Also, are leagues like the XFL going to be able to afford the CTE lawsuits?

jerrywall
02-02-2018, 11:47 AM

I can't imagine they wouldn't include this on the WWE Network, which is already on most streaming devices...

Uptowner
02-02-2018, 03:48 PM
I imagine this is the way they are going. Make it cheap or free. In general it will be interesting to see their approach because it is going to be different.
Here’s something I’d pay for: imagine the general broadcast is free, but for a “season pass” subscription the game cuts away to highlights and commentary instead of commercials.

Zuplar
02-03-2018, 06:18 AM
Here’s something I’d pay for: imagine the general broadcast is free, but for a “season pass” subscription the game cuts away to highlights and commentary instead of commercials.

Absolutely. Don’t know why the NFL hasn’t done something similar with their season pass product.

Thomas Vu
02-03-2018, 08:47 AM
Absolutely. Don’t know why the NFL hasn’t done something similar with their season pass product.

Redzone?

Richard at Remax
02-03-2018, 09:03 AM
Redzone is different. It was made for fantasy football and jumps around to every game.

Like above, I am surprised the NFL doesn't have a pay per view option for single games. I would gladly for over some $$$ to watch the Saints every week when they aren't on primetime.

jn1780
02-03-2018, 01:18 PM
They probably still make a lot more money with the commercials then they would with paid commercial free subscriptions. I imagine one Netflix or amazon show is significantly cheaper than the cost to play one football game?

d-usa
02-03-2018, 03:37 PM
There is always the possibility of following the Hulu model: pay for premium services and still get forced to watch commercials

Laramie
02-04-2018, 10:33 AM
10 Possible Cities for XFL Teams in 2020:

10. Las Vegas, NV - Bringing an XFL team back to Vegas makes a marginal amount of sense. The Oakland Raiders will become the Las Vegas Raiders in 2020, so the desert city would become a football mecca almost overnight.

09. San Diego, CA - The added benefit of putting a team in San Diego is the appeal for personnel. Southern California has a wealth of universities pumping out college football players.

8. Columbus, OH - In that same thread, Columbus would be poised to recruit players from one of the top football factories in the country.
...Columbus is halfway between Cleveland and Cincinnati. . .

7. St. Louis, MO - . . . The Dome at America’s Center, formerly known as the Edward Jones Dome, still stands, so the matter of a temporary home isn’t as big of an issue.

6. Birmingham, AL - . . . A revived franchise could bring professional pride back to ‘Bama, particularly if some underrated star power from the Crimson Tide finds its way onto XFL rosters.

5. Chicago, IL - . . . Would one of the most storied fanbases in the NFL say no to watching football year-round?

4. New York, NY - What? Four football teams in New York is too many? Nonsense. . .

3. Oklahoma City, OK - . . . Plus, the city is far enough from both Kansas City and Dallas to draw interest from fans looking for alternatives to the Chiefs and Dallas Cowboys.

2. Portland, OR - . . . Adding a professional football team helps round out the Portland Trailblazers and Portland Timbers and brings the city one step closer to becoming a sports hub in the northwest.

1. San Antonio, TX - . . . Football fans in San Antonio have to divide their loyalties between the Cowboys, the Houston Texans, or choosing another team that gets no local coverage on Sunday afternoon. Imagine tens of thousands of screaming fans packed into the Alamodome on gameday.

Source: http://lastwordonprofootball.com/2018/01/25/10-possible-cities-for-xfl-teams-2020/