View Full Version : Simple Road Repair Question

RadicalModerate
01-22-2018, 12:11 PM
So . . . Would it be possible--for any of the insiders, "in the know," in this Forum =~)--to give a semi-rational explanation for the apparently never-ending tearing up and fixing back of the pavement at the intersection of Hefner and Penn? Specifically (this time) the NW corner of the intersection, next to the old Texaco, right across from Love's Universal Headquarters? Don't mean to bitch . . . Yet, WTF? Who is getting paid for all this? ~signed Casual Observer (it not only interrupts the flow of traffic. it also messes with commerce and general happiness. =~)

RadicalModerate
01-22-2018, 12:15 PM
. . . and somebody needs to repaint the stripes up there around Memorial to allow for more left-turns into the new development. =~) simple fix. no judgment implied.

[edited to add an s to need and smile)

jompster
01-22-2018, 12:47 PM
That happens all over this city it seems. They pave a road, and then dig part of it up and make half-assed "comb-overs" when they're finished. What's the point of paving it smooth if they're just going to do that to it? They can't do a simple road repair without it being a heinous ordeal.

OKCRT
01-22-2018, 05:34 PM
So . . . Would it be possible--for any of the insiders, "in the know," in this Forum =~)--to give a semi-rational explanation for the apparently never-ending tearing up and fixing back of the pavement at the intersection of Hefner and Penn? Specifically (this time) the NW corner of the intersection, next to the old Texaco, right across from Love's Universal Headquarters? Don't mean to bitch . . . Yet, WTF? Who is getting paid for all this? ~signed Casual Observer (it not only interrupts the flow of traffic. it also messes with commerce and general happiness. =~)

This is what make the World go round,and round,and round.

RadicalModerate
01-22-2018, 05:36 PM
Tonight the traffic southbound on Penn and westbound on Hefner is backed up for half a mile both directions. Some dude who barely knows how to run a BobCat loader is attempting to fill in the big hole that was dug earlier last week for no apparent reason with improper--for sure not O.S.H.A. approved non-lighting and other safeguards. A good friend of mine works for a Construction Bonding Company that demands everything from Bid to Performance to Maintenance Bonds. Short Version: W.T.F.??? Who is paying for this?

RadicalModerate
01-22-2018, 05:46 PM
A long time ago, The Powers That Be, took my simple suggestion, involving some paint on the pavement, to fix the so-called "Klusterfukke" at the Northbound Hefner Parkway to Memorial Exchange. Later TPTB used my suggestion at the Intersection of Meridian and Memorial (The Mercy Hospital Conjunction) to designate turn and thru lanes. Are The TrafficMeisters asleep? In the pocket of The Developers??? 'R Whut???!!! =~) (just kidding . . . yeah, right . . . someone needs to start following the money . . .)

Relentless85
01-22-2018, 05:51 PM
I love how they re pave a road or replace a highway with new concrete, then when modifications need to be made, the road paint is sanded off making deep marks in the new concrete or asphalt. I find that this makes it more difficult to see where the lanes are because they don’t do a good job of repainting the lines.

RadicalModerate
01-22-2018, 05:54 PM
That happens all over this city it seems. They pave a road, and then dig part of it up and make half-assed "comb-overs" when they're finished. What's the point of paving it smooth if they're just going to do that to it? They can't do a simple road repair without it being a heinous ordeal.

Easy Simple Road Repair Rule #1: Beware of Pronouns. Who is/are They? . . . =~) (not you and me fer shure).

RadicalModerate
01-22-2018, 06:10 PM
Hasta Luego . . . Antiques Roadshow is a-callin' me home (seriously: who benefits from re-re-re-re . . . paving?)

bombermwc
01-23-2018, 07:14 AM
These are things that have always bugged me too. It's like the city departments never coordinate anything. We pave a new road that's all nice and pretty, then 10 groups come in the next 6 months and chop up sections for some crap and put ****ty patch jobs in place, and we've got a crappy road again.

And pave a new highway, then we shave off the lines and go below-grade, then they look crappy with the final product. And it is confusing at dawn/dusk when the light makes the paint lines not very visible and you think you're in a lane and you're not.

I dont think there's some conspiracy, i just think the city and odot don't coordinate their plans between departments well and they dont check in on their construction projects enough to make sure the contractors are doing the right thing, Hell, look at the 240 work right now. This is the only place ive seen the new concrete not painted/stained and it looks like crap AND its not even square. They chose these square blocks that dont line up and its VERY obvious that they dont and when you have a red-dirt stained section right next to one that isn't, it looks like crap. It definitely feels like they didn't put much thought into the design aspect, especially when you compare to I35 in Norman.

TheTravellers
01-23-2018, 08:35 AM
ODOT and OKC's road construction crews (and their contractors) seem to be stuck in the 1960s/1970s, both in the philosophies/ways of thinking and actual construction, sadly enough. They *might* be up-to-date with the way things should be *right now* after we all die...