View Full Version : Baron Exploration Royalties?

White Peacock
01-17-2018, 03:07 PM
I got a division order from Baron Exploration to fill out in order to start receiving royalty payments on a well that's been operating for the past several years. I remember getting one as soon as I bought the house, but thinking it was a scam (since it asks for SSN) and not filling it out. Anybody else getting oil/gas royalties by virtue of just owning a house in OKC? Is this a real thing?

Bellaboo
01-17-2018, 03:41 PM
I got a division order from Baron Exploration to fill out in order to start receiving royalty payments on a well that's been operating for the past several years. I remember getting one as soon as I bought the house, but thinking it was a scam (since it asks for SSN) and not filling it out. Anybody else getting oil/gas royalties by virtue of just owning a house in OKC? Is this a real thing?

I get royalties from a couple of wells within the Yukon city limits. Have for many years. A very common thing.

Richard at Remax
01-17-2018, 05:04 PM
Sounds like the owner you bought the house from didn't reserve their mineral rights. Which is actually pretty rare they wouldn't.

White Peacock
01-17-2018, 05:10 PM
Sounds like the owner you bought the house from didn't reserve their mineral rights. Which is actually pretty rare they wouldn't.

Won't look a gift horse in the mouth, if that's the case. The original owners died, and I bought the house from their adult kids who'd long been out on their own. Not sure what the process would have been for them securing the mineral rights, but at least the exploration company seems to have documentation showing that I'm the rights owner.

mkjeeves
01-17-2018, 07:18 PM
I had some dealings with Baron on one of my properties years ago. They drilled a hole behind Cash Saver at NW 23rd and Rockwell. The main borehole was used for, or intended to be used for, several laterals that affected different groups of owners. Since that's in the middle of a residential area, each well involved a lot of owners. One of those would have involved one of my properties. They sent an offer to lease. I called them. They said it was take it or leave if, no negotiation. They filed for pooling shortly after and IIRC, then did not drill that well. If they would have, we naturally would have gotten our part. Maybe that type of exploration is one of their specialties.

(Related thread: http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=21437)

Around the same time, Chesapeake sent an offer to lease the mineral interest on my home, which is in the same part of town. They never followed through. Up to this point on both properties we were not aware the mineral rights were still intact. My guess is a lot of homes around the metro still are sold with mineral interest.

I'd also guess the likelyhood of getting a bonus and production on a house lot inside the metro is pretty small, and the return would likely be pretty small. Probably would not be worth the effort and expense to keep it upon the sale of a home. I do plan to dig in deeper on that question when I get ready to sell either. (I own several tracks of mineral interest scattered around OK and TX. A couple are pretty small, have old wells on them and are not yet worth the time it takes to deal with them. They were not for my parents either. Don't imagine those will be helpful to my children but you never know.)

White Peacock
01-18-2018, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the link to the old thread. That's my area, the 23rd/MacArthur area, and apparently it's been an operating well for six years now. Maybe I'll get some beer money out of it, if nothing else.

OKCRT
01-18-2018, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the link to the old thread. That's my area, the 23rd/MacArthur area, and apparently it's been an operating well for six years now. Maybe I'll get some beer money out of it, if nothing else.

For 6 years they have been sucking your oil out of the ground. Hopefully you get a nice lump some and monthly checks from here on out.

Pete
01-18-2018, 04:35 PM
Yes, please let us know how much you get!

Very curious now.

mkjeeves
01-18-2018, 04:40 PM
Should be something! Good luck! I think I called them a second time after the pooling hearing to check up on progress. I believe they drilled one well that did not produce as good as they hoped so they did not drill the next one that would have involved us. We are south and west of the well head a mile or more each way, but sometimes laterals go a couple of miles. Maybe the first one went east and got you and then they gave up on one going south.

White Peacock
03-07-2018, 06:24 PM
Well, it wasn't enough to load up the truck and move to Beverly (Hills, that is). It averaged out to about $110/year. It won't pay off the mortgage or anything, but I'm glad to take the free money all the same.

mkjeeves
03-09-2018, 07:46 AM
Sweet! I inherited mineral interest in three old wells that don't pay that much. One pays less than $10 a year.

White Peacock
03-12-2018, 03:58 PM
Sweet! I inherited mineral interest in three old wells that don't pay that much. One pays less than $10 a year.

Some is better than none!