View Full Version : Streetlight Outages

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

LocoAko
01-08-2018, 08:43 PM
Cody Lusnia has begun taking an hour each night to map all of the streetlights that aren't working around the city. Here's what he has, after just tonight. Pretty sad state of affairs...

https://twitter.com/codylusnia/status/950561094669651973

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTERclmUMAAXxab.jpg

I may try to start taking note of the mile markers that are completely dark on the interstates. So far my tweets to @OKDOT have gone unanswered. Once I have the data to back me up, perhaps I'll get a response...

pw405
01-08-2018, 09:03 PM
Cody Lusnia has begun taking an hour each night to map all of the streetlights that aren't working around the city. Here's what he has, after just tonight. Pretty sad state of affairs...

https://twitter.com/codylusnia/status/950561094669651973

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTERclmUMAAXxab.jpg

I may try to start taking note of the mile markers that are completely dark on the interstates. So far my tweets to @OKDOT have gone unanswered. Once I have the data to back me up, perhaps I'll get a response...

Thank god - hopefully this will get the attention needed. Reminder! OG&E = TRASH.

stile99
01-09-2018, 06:20 AM
So is anyone actually reporting them, or just posting about them on Twitter? Cause one way has a chance, however small, of getting the matter addressed. The other does not.

I mean, I totally understand the sentiment behind it. But if you think OG&E really cares about any public shaming attempts, I've got some land to sell you. Lots of bridges, too.

LocoAko
01-09-2018, 06:47 AM
So is anyone actually reporting them, or just posting about them on Twitter? Cause one way has a chance, however small, of getting the matter addressed. The other does not.

I mean, I totally understand the sentiment behind it. But if you think OG&E really cares about any public shaming attempts, I've got some land to sell you. Lots of bridges, too.

It isn't just public shaming. They're going to take it to OG&E. AFAIK he is expanding it and thinking of delegating different parts of the city to different people. I'm going to volunteer for my little square mile. :) Who knows if they'll care or do anything with it even when presented with it, though....

Ross MacLochness
01-09-2018, 08:50 AM
Not necessarily a good excuse, but in p180 and some streetcar construction zones, lights either aren't hooked up or electricity hasn't been installed. Also keep in mind, the city controls P180 lights while all the rest are maintained by oge.

macfoucin
01-09-2018, 09:08 AM
Not OKC but related, in Norman from Main Street to Indian Hills Road there are 40 light poles in the center divider with lights out. In Moore from Indian Hills to Shields there are also around 40 lights out. I called City of Norman and Moore and they both directed me to OGE. Called OGE and supposedly they made two work tickets for this. I'm not holding my breath.

baralheia
01-09-2018, 12:23 PM
Thank god - hopefully this will get the attention needed. Reminder! OG&E = TRASH.

In my experience, once OG&E is notified of a light outage, they get the streetlight lit back up pretty darn quick - with a few exceptions (stolen wiring, etc). Most of the ones I've reported are fixed within a day or so; the longest a repair has taken for me was about 10 days for a streetlight in my neighborhood where they had to dig a trench and lay down some new wiring for it. The problem is neither OG&E nor the City of OKC or ODOT feel it's their responsibility to keep track of and report lights that are out, so you and I have to be the ones to report it. I suspect that responsibility was never written into the contract.

5alive
01-09-2018, 12:29 PM
I plan to forward that outage map to OG&E...I suggest each of us OKC Talkers do this and perhaps they will get the hint!

baralheia
01-09-2018, 12:41 PM
I've just asked OG&E if there is an e-mail address that streetlight repair requests can be sent to; in the interim, you can report any streetlight outages to Customer Service by calling 800-272-9741, Mon-Fri between 8 AM and 5 PM.

baralheia
01-09-2018, 12:52 PM
Okay, so it turns out there is. While the response I got was that the preferred method is to call, they will accept streetlight outage notifications via e-mail at custcaredept@oge.com. They also mentioned another important piece of info: their service level agreement is to complete the repair within 10 business days after reporting the light outage.

AP
01-09-2018, 12:54 PM
Cody could easily automate that list to email whenever a light is reported out on the map.

David
01-09-2018, 02:00 PM
OKC Connect App (https://www.okc.gov/residents/action-center/okc-connect-app) Might be another option. I was reminded of it reading through a discussion on Nextdoor earlier today, apparently you can report issues and submit pictures of the problem with it.

baralheia
01-09-2018, 02:11 PM
OKC Connect App (https://www.okc.gov/residents/action-center/okc-connect-app) Might be another option. I was reminded of it reading through a discussion on Nextdoor earlier today, apparently you can report issues and submit pictures of the problem with it.

You cannot report streetlight outages to the city via the app; the app directs you to contact OG&E instead, as OG&E is responsible for maintaining the streetlights. They accept reports of other issues, however, like code violations, burned out stoplights, etc.

OKCbyTRANSFER
01-09-2018, 09:26 PM
The city is responsible for any street light affixed to a traffic signal pole, OG&E won't touch them. Just have to be real clear that it's a traffic pole and a work order is placed

cxl144
01-12-2018, 04:16 PM
If anyone is interested in the results of the 3 day survey the mapped data points are at www.okcstreetlights.com

There is a forthcoming story in The Oklahoman, should be in Saturday's paper in the business section.

The streetlight issue in the downtown area is complicated by districts, associations, who funded what project, contractual obligations, contractors. Once you get outside the core of downtown it becomes much simpler since OG&E becomes virtually the sole entity responsible for streetlights other than for ODOT highway lights and ODOT is a whole other ball of wax.

Urbanized
01-12-2018, 04:24 PM
Great work!

HangryHippo
01-12-2018, 04:27 PM
Great work!
+1. Outstanding!

rte66man
01-13-2018, 06:36 AM
If anyone is interested in the results of the 3 day survey the mapped data points are at www.okcstreetlights.com

There is a forthcoming story in The Oklahoman, should be in Saturday's paper in the business section.

The streetlight issue in the downtown area is complicated by districts, associations, who funded what project, contractual obligations, contractors. Once you get outside the core of downtown it becomes much simpler since OG&E becomes virtually the sole entity responsible for streetlights other than for ODOT highway lights and ODOT is a whole other ball of wax.

OG&E is also responsible for maintaining the lights on State and Interstate highways in OKC (not turnpikes. Those requests are handled by a contractor). I've emailed them 3 times in the last 8 months about the lights on Hefner Road below the dam. They were always fixed withing 3-5 business days. Not sure why they are out so much. If you email them, they will respond with a Work Order number that you can use if you need to follow up on the status.

They are slower to fix highway lights. I'm still working with them to fix the lights at Hefner Parkway and 39th Street.

Pete
01-13-2018, 10:17 AM
There is a story on this in today's Oklahoman but it is behind a pay wall:

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/5579410?embargo_redirect=yes

As it happens, Cody Lusnia is a follower of OKCTalk on Twitter and he and I just exchanged messages the last few days because I saw his frequent posts about downtown streetlight outages.

His quick survey (by walking his dog at night; Cody lives downtown) revealed 419 inoperable lights in the small area you see below, which amounts to a little less than a square mile.

You will also notice the highest number along areas that have been completely reworked by Project 180. I would think these are the most frequently walked areas in the entire City (with the likely exception of Bricktown), with lots of activity at night especially when the Thunder are at home.

The City of OKC has been alerted and is now coordinating with OG&E to get these lights fixed.

I must add a couple of thoughts: 1) how on earth did the City let things get this bad in the first place and why has it taken something like this to move them to action? and 2) This problem is in no way unique to downtown, there just happens to be a higher concentration of lights and lots of people out walking down there at night.

Link to the Google Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1K1GMPKCaYO7J28-YvWldnS_Oxq4yxnBW&ll=35.471098879226254%2C-97.52077250000002&z=16

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/streetlights1.jpg

u50254082
01-13-2018, 08:58 PM
Are these traditional gas-discharge lamps?

Urbanized
01-13-2018, 10:21 PM
^^^^^^^^
Interesting because I’ve read and been told recently that highway lights are all ODOT’s responsibility.

Brett
01-14-2018, 03:17 AM
This is another reason why I never go downtown.

Pete
01-14-2018, 07:24 AM
Are these traditional gas-discharge lamps?

They are all of different type.

TheTravellers
01-14-2018, 11:58 AM
Great job, hope things start getting fixed! Would love to see all those turned in at once and see how well OG&E does with their SLA times for fixing them, they'd probably have to call in everybody for multiple shifts. :)

pw405
01-14-2018, 09:02 PM
This is awesome! Great work by Cody!

OkiePoke
01-14-2018, 09:12 PM
This needs to be expanded around all of OKC. Any way we can get a google maps put together and to get a list going?

stile99
01-15-2018, 06:53 AM
My understanding is it either will be or already has been expanded so anyone can add to it.

OKCbyTRANSFER
01-16-2018, 09:57 PM
Just an example, I reported the 2 lights at 23rd & Classen, both lights are unlit, these are on traffic signal fixtures, so it belongs to the city, not OG&E.
Normally somebody in Streets Dept takes care of it,I get an email back confirmed. Today the reply was "refer to traffic ops". I assume the work order gets forwarded on, we'll see. I think there should be a better system, something better than the method we have now.

Bullbear
01-17-2018, 12:04 PM
I have reported the lights on May from about NW 16th to NW 23rd.. its crazy dark over there. there are so many dark spots around the city they really need to get this fixed!

Anonymous.
01-17-2018, 12:23 PM
I know it is under construction and is being completely overhauled, but the darkness @ I-44 and I-235 with all the blending lanes, ramps, curbs - it is incredibly dangerous for people unfamiliar to try and navigate these clovers and ramps @ night.

Pete
01-17-2018, 01:08 PM
Try exiting I-40 onto the OKC Boulevard as you head east...

Every single light is out and there is a pretty big curve there. You can see marks along the retaining wall by those who ran off the road.

I've never seen anything like this where the city, OG&E and ODOT all don't seem to really care about this issue. So bizarre.

Urban Pioneer
01-17-2018, 05:34 PM
One has to wonder what OG+E's maintenance obligations are for streetlights as part of their Franchise Agreement with the city. My understanding of it is that they are supposed to install lights where the city asks them to for the right to install their poles, lines, and other utility infrastructure on city Rights-of-Way. I big question is whether they are obligated to maintain the lights within a certain period of notification. If so, is the city in an enforceable position to make them do it and is not doing so.

These issues only seem to come up for discussion when the submit for the Franchise Renewal every 10 years or so.

pw405
01-17-2018, 05:57 PM
One has to wonder what OG+E's maintenance obligations are for streetlights as part of their Franchise Agreement with the city. My understanding of it is that they are supposed to install lights where the city asks them to for the right to install their poles, lines, and other utility infrastructure on city Rights-of-Way. I big question is whether they are obligated to maintain the lights within a certain period of notification. If so, is the city in an enforceable position to make them do it and is not doing so.

These issues only seem to come up for discussion when the submit for the Franchise Renewal every 10 years or so.

OGE is on my sh*tlist for more than one reason:
2009ish "Try Smart Hours - best thing ever!"
20016ish: "State of OK, we are requesting compensation for lost funds due to Smart Hours
2014: "look at this amazing tower we are going to build, we'll have to bulldoze Stage Center of course". Bulldozes stage center. Tower cancelled.
Forever: Can't keep street lights on.

Generally, these are the reasons I say OGE = Trash.

*Dates are probably wrong. You get the point.

Rover
01-17-2018, 07:51 PM
We have some of the lowest elec rates in the country. Since they are a controlled utility, perhaps we should let them raise rates and solve some of these problems.

stile99
01-18-2018, 06:24 AM
We have some of the lowest elec rates in the country. Since they are a controlled utility, perhaps we should let them raise rates and solve some of these problems.

An interesting proposal. Since we ARE the lowest in the country in what we charge businesses according to this source (https://www.chooseenergy.com/electricity-rates-by-state/), I agree. Let's let them start paying their fair share.

OKCbyTRANSFER
01-18-2018, 07:45 PM
There was an Elliot Electric truck tonight in midtown working on lights, not sure what kind of route they were taking, but maybe this is a good sign

catch22
01-18-2018, 07:52 PM
Ever since Cody's exploration I have been paying more attention to these while driving around town, and was thinking of bringing a notepad with me and making some notes on some I can report in.

I was amazed by how many are out! It would be far easier to list all of the ones that are working.

5alive
01-18-2018, 09:57 PM
^^^^

bombermwc
01-22-2018, 07:28 AM
I've noticed that the interstate sign lights all seem to be off these days in favor of having them lit up from the street lights. Anyone else notice this or is it just happenstance for my time of day on 240/44/40?

rte66man
01-22-2018, 08:24 PM
I've noticed that the interstate sign lights all seem to be off these days in favor of having them lit up from the street lights. Anyone else notice this or is it just happenstance for my time of day on 240/44/40?

That is a deliberate decision by ODOT. Once they burn out, they aren't replaced. Been the case for quite awhile.

catch22
01-22-2018, 08:27 PM
That is a deliberate decision by ODOT. Once they burn out, they aren't replaced. Been the case for quite awhile.

I believe they have switched to a more reflective sign thus headlights are more effective at illuminating them.

I do wish they would take down the light fixtures when they do that though, just to eliminate the appearance that they are "burnt out".

ypsiexplorer
01-24-2018, 10:32 AM
I just corresponded with the OKC Action Center on Twitter and they confirmed that street lights that are on top of traffic signal poles are the city's responsibility and should be reported to the city.

You can report them three ways:

1. Direct message @OKCAction on Twitter.
2. Text the info to (405) 252-1053‬.
3. Use the OKC Connect app. Click Submit a Request > Traffic Signage/Signals > Street Sign Missing or Damaged. Be sure to describe the lights as on top of street signal poles.

David
01-24-2018, 10:59 AM
There really needs to be a centralized place to report this sort of stuff that then passes it on to the appropriate responsible party. Requiring the citizen doing to the reporting to figure out the cryptic requirements themselves is poor customer service which in turn is going to lead to poor issue resolution.

TheTravellers
01-24-2018, 11:43 AM
:yeahthat:

Millions of companies all over the world have help desks/service centers/whatever that take every issue, then decide who it belongs to, and reassign it appropriately. Not sure why OKC can't figure out how to do this, I've been working with help desks for decades. The Action Center is fairly good, but they should accept *everything* and then route it to the appropriate dept. correctly, and some help desk systems even allow for interaction between your help desk and another company's (or at least some kind of reference between them, like ticket numbers, etc.).

ypsiexplorer
01-24-2018, 12:09 PM
I agree! I would love to see the Action Center be the central clearinghouse for all street light outages in the city. They could route them appropriately based on location and category. Anyone going to a city council meeting anytime soon? :o

TheTravellers
01-24-2018, 12:46 PM
I agree! I would love to see the Action Center be the central clearinghouse for all street light outages in the city. They could route them appropriately based on location and category. Anyone going to a city council meeting anytime soon? :o

I'll contact my councilman (Ed) and see what he says.

ypsiexplorer
01-24-2018, 06:52 PM
Good idea. I just emailed Meg Salyer (my councilwoman) as well.

bradh
01-24-2018, 07:09 PM
I don't see what's wrong with using the app. It's a great tool

pw405
01-24-2018, 10:16 PM
Woohoo for citizens working together to improve our city!

TheTravellers
01-25-2018, 10:00 AM
I don't see what's wrong with using the app. It's a great tool

It is good, but it'd be even better if you could enter *any* streetlight outage in it instead of having to call/email OG&E, it'd be one-stop-problem-reporting.

But that's not gonna happen, I spoke with Ed Shadid's right-hand-man yesterday and he said that since the city has never repaired streetlights that are out, they don't have that capability in the Action Center to do that at all. :( It's always been done by OG&E or another power company that covers areas that OG&E doesn't (didn't know there were any except the Edmond one, but he listed a few). He wasn't aware of the streetlight-on-a-signal-pole caveat, though, so I guess those have to be reported to the city, and I'm guessing if you call/email OG&E about those, you'll get a reply that they're not OG&E's responsibility and you'll have to report it to the city. Oh well, it was worth a try...

Anonymous.
01-25-2018, 10:13 AM
The App on my phone hasn't worked in a long time. Everything I do anything in the app, it says 'whoops, you have no connection'. This is on iOS and with AT&T. Not sure if it just me or what.

ypsiexplorer
01-25-2018, 11:00 AM
It is good, but it'd be even better if you could enter *any* streetlight outage in it instead of having to call/email OG&E, it'd be one-stop-problem-reporting.

But that's not gonna happen, I spoke with Ed Shadid's right-hand-man yesterday and he said that since the city has never repaired streetlights that are out, they don't have that capability in the Action Center to do that at all. :( It's always been done by OG&E or another power company that covers areas that OG&E doesn't (didn't know there were any except the Edmond one, but he listed a few). He wasn't aware of the streetlight-on-a-signal-pole caveat, though, so I guess those have to be reported to the city, and I'm guessing if you call/email OG&E about those, you'll get a reply that they're not OG&E's responsibility and you'll have to report it to the city. Oh well, it was worth a try...

I'm not asking for the city to fix all street light outages themselves. I'm asking for them to receive all of the various reports and complaints in one centralized location and route them to the responsible parties.

TheTravellers
01-25-2018, 11:52 AM
I'm not asking for the city to fix all street light outages themselves. I'm asking for them to receive all of the various reports and complaints in one centralized location and route them to the responsible parties.

I know, that's what I (and others) wanted too, but I was told that they're not set up for notifying OG&E (or the other power companies) since they've never had the responsibility of fixing streetlights, so the capability isn't there in the Action Center to do that. Although it's there for other city departments that they route items to, so I'm not sure why they can't just modify whatever software they're using to shoot an email to OG&E when a streetlight outage is reported via the Action Center.

Ross MacLochness
01-25-2018, 12:17 PM
I know, that's what I (and others) wanted too, but I was told that they're not set up for notifying OG&E (or the other power companies) since they've never had the responsibility of fixing streetlights, so the capability isn't there in the Action Center to do that. Although it's there for other city departments that they route items to, so I'm not sure why they can't just modify whatever software they're using to shoot an email to OG&E when a streetlight outage is reported via the Action Center.

Or just write down addresses and call them in themselves...

shawnw
01-25-2018, 12:20 PM
Incidentally when I asked DOKC about this they said they do report downtown outages within the BID.

Urbanized
01-26-2018, 08:19 AM
The App on my phone hasn't worked in a long time. Everything I do anything in the app, it says 'whoops, you have no connection'. This is on iOS and with AT&T. Not sure if it just me or what.
That’s because they changed apps. I had the same thing happen to me when trying to use it, before I remembered they had released a new app and abandoned the old one (they did put out a lot of communication about this at the time). I had left the old one (an adaptation of See Click Fix) on my phone. After remembering, I deleted the old one and started using OKC Connect (the new one). Works like a champ.

Martin
01-26-2018, 09:32 AM
so... have any of these light outages have been fixed yet?

TheTravellers
01-26-2018, 10:55 AM
so... have any of these light outages have been fixed yet?

Good question, dunno, but I'd hope so - OG&E apparently has an SLA to get lights fixed within a certain amount of days after a report, so I'd imagine some have been fixed by now. Lackmeyer said in his chat that he'll have a column about it on Tuesday, so it's getting way more visibility (ha).

David
01-26-2018, 11:12 AM
It's good to see a little more light shed on this issue.

Bullbear
01-26-2018, 11:53 AM
The ones on May from NW 23rd to 16th have not been fixed. and I logged that ticket a good while ago