View Full Version : Car tags-Why did they skyrocket?

OKCRT
01-09-2018, 04:23 PM
Is this something new? I haven't purchased a brand new vehicle in 3 years or so but I noticed the steep increase in the price to get a new car registered in Ok. I guess I need to pay better attention because I had no idea they went so high. I remember back in the day many would register in Texas to avoid the outrageous fees Ok would charge. It appears that we are back to those days again.

Buffalo Bill
01-09-2018, 04:39 PM
Is this something new? I haven't purchased a brand new vehicle in 3 years or so but I noticed the steep increase in the price to get a new car registered in Ok. I guess I need to pay better attention because I had no idea they went so high. I remember back in the day many would register in Texas to avoid the outrageous fees Ok would charge. It appears that we are back to those days again.
Oklahoma car sales fees went up 1.25% last summer as one of the revenue measures by eliminating that 1.25% from the sales tax exemption. The net fee, excise and sales tax, is now 4.5% for new cars, a bit less for used. FWIW, Texas is 6.25%.

OKCRT
01-10-2018, 07:25 AM
Oklahoma car sales fees went up 1.25% last summer as one of the revenue measures by eliminating that 1.25% from the sales tax exemption. The net fee, excise and sales tax, is now 4.5% for new cars, a bit less for used. FWIW, Texas is 6.25%.

Yes exise and sales tax are the two killers.