View Full Version : OKC rolling out new pick-up days for 91,000 / Big Cart recycling coming soon

FritterGirl
12-20-2017, 01:39 PM
Get Ready for a Brand New Day!

Your trash collection day may be changing. As of February 5, 2018, the Oklahoma City Utilities Department will consolidate its trash and recycling routes to make our system more efficient. The move will also prepare us for our large-cart recycling program we'll start later this year.

What you need to know:

- Approximately 91,000 customers will experience a day change in their trash or bulk waste collection services.
- The Utilities Department will mail out postcards on January 5, 2018 letting customers know about the changes in service.
- A second postcard will be mailed on January 19 to remind people to put their cart (or bulk waste) out on the curb on the correct day.
- Some people will experience a change to only their trash collection day. Others will experience a change to only their bulk waste collection. Still, a very small group will experience a change to BOTH their trash and bulk waste collection.

Want to know if your day will change? Here’s what you can do:

• Look under the “notices” section of your January water bill. We’ll post your day change there.
• Visit our website at www.okc.gov/mytrashday (http://www.okc.gov/mytrashday) and enter your address into the search tool. When your address pulls up, click on it to see your new collection schedule as of February 5.

We will continue to provide communications to neighborhood groups, social media and traditional media throughout the next several weeks, so please stay tuned. And no matter your day, please always make sure you place your trash/recycling and/or bulk waste on the curb no later than 6 a.m.

###

bombermwc
12-21-2017, 07:39 AM
The big cart recycling is the best news for me. We often overflow our recycling container since we put as much as we can in there instead of the trash. Hopefully they'll let us put cardboard in there now!!!

warreng88
12-21-2017, 08:16 AM
The big cart recycling is the best news for me. We often overflow our recycling container since we put as much as we can in there instead of the trash. Hopefully they'll let us put cardboard in there now!!!

Us too. The wife and I make weekly trips to the Waste Management center on NW 4th between MacArthur and Meridian to dispose of our cardboard and paper. My understanding is the new bins will allow for all of that and we can stop wasting 30 minutes every week to drop that off.

AP
12-21-2017, 08:27 AM
Is there some info online that details the changes coming with the recycling program?

OkiePoke
12-21-2017, 09:37 AM
I would love if they start accepting cardboard.

Pete
12-21-2017, 09:46 AM
Yes, in California we had those huge recycling bins and I put more in there than the trash.

Those tiny ones we have here are hardly worth the trouble and the because they are uncovered, half the stuff goes blowing down the street.

Really look forward to this change.

Timshel
12-21-2017, 09:57 AM
I would love if they start accepting cardboard.

Clicked on this thread to say the same thing. Hoping the acceptance of cardboard accompany's the new big carts.

stile99
12-21-2017, 12:03 PM
What happened to the map?

FritterGirl
12-21-2017, 05:20 PM
Is there some info online that details the changes coming with the recycling program?

Not yet! We’ll post that info after the trash day change program is complete. What I can tell you is this:

- We should start large cart delivery to individual households in late February.
- It will take approximatelty 13 weeks to make delivery to all addresses.
- We will continue Little Blue pick-up for much of the delivery period.
- We should start the big cart service in late June/early July.
- When the new service starts, we will accept cardboard.

FritterGirl
12-21-2017, 05:21 PM
Can you specify what you mean?

stile99
12-21-2017, 06:00 PM
Found it! I knew I had seen a map, it's at the link in the first post in the other thread.

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=43860

bombermwc
12-22-2017, 06:44 AM
Yes, in California we had those huge recycling bins and I put more in there than the trash.

Those tiny ones we have here are hardly worth the trouble and the because they are uncovered, half the stuff goes blowing down the street.

Really look forward to this change.

I lost my whole little blue recycle tub one time because of wind. Im hoping they were able to empty it first, but the wind was so bad that day that i came home and it was just gone. I dont think anyone took it because i saw a small collection of them down in a drainage ditch too. CRAZY OKLAHOMA WIND!

And AWESOME on the cardboard thing Fritter!!!!

Oh and on the maps, it is a bit weird. You dont actually see anything until you zoom in down to the house level. Then the little red houses pop up and when you click on them, it will tell you the info. One level too high and it looks like the map doesnt do anything. So just zoom in more.

Zuplar
12-22-2017, 07:14 AM
Does this mean they have expanded their recycling? Last time I checked they weren't doing recycling in my area.

FritterGirl
12-22-2017, 08:32 AM
Does this mean they have expanded their recycling? Last time I checked they weren't doing recycling in my area.

Because of the re-route, we will be able to add about 6,000 households to the recycling program. We don’t have the exact routes for that yet, but will announce that when we get ready to deliver the carts. We will also send out those who will be new on the service separate notification.

Zuplar
12-22-2017, 09:36 AM
Gotcha not sure how many people can even recycle now. I live Southwest of the airport, I'm guessing I'm still considered "rural."