View Full Version : Pour (formerly Sanctuary)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Pete
12-19-2017, 12:01 PM
Two very different bar businesses coming to Film Row

Business is so good at FlashBack RetroPub in Film Row that the owners are planning two new ventures next door.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/sanctuary1a.jpg

Sanctuary Barsilica, a church-themed bar, is set to open at the east end of 814 W. Sheridan, the same building that is home to FlashBack.

For inspiration, proprietor Jose Rodriguez visited Church in Portland and Sister Louisa' Church of the Living Room and Ping Pong Emporium in Atlanta. The latter is often recognized as one of the most successful and creative theme bars in the entire U.S.

The goal is a light-hearted but respectful take on religion with theme decor and drinks, as well as an elaborate karaoke system where singers will don choir robes before taking the stage.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/sanctuary2a.jpg

In addition to signature cocktails such as Holy Sangria served in a chalice, there will be a heavy emphasis on national and regional craft beers to compliment FlashBack's focus on local brews.

The space will take advantage of existing huge overhead doors to open to a Sheridan-facing patio on nice days. A large outdoor space will also be featured on the south side of the space and everywhere inside and out will be non-smoking, as the policy has proved popular at FlashBack.

Between Sanctuary and the retro pub will be Wacky Wheelz, which will specialize in bar excursions on individual cruiser bikes completely decked out in LED lights.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wacky1.jpg

Wacky Wheelz will have tour guides to take groups of 8 to 50 to various local bars. The tour leaders will have sound systems on their bikes which will feature music chosen by the group.

There will also be event space for before and after the cruise and for private events.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/wacky2.jpg

Rodriguez and his partner Mark Temple have formed El Jefe Entertainment as the umbrella for FlashBack, Sanctuary and Wacky Wheelz and future ventures.

The additions to Film Row, set to open this spring, come on the heels of the wildly popular and immediately adjacent Jones Assembly. Rodriguez said that the already strong business at FlashBack has picked up even further since Jones started drawing thousands more to the immediate area.

West Village will open their first apartments and commercial space directly north of 814 W. Sheridan in about 7 months, with hundreds of more units in that same development coming on-line in the next year.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/sanctuary3.jpg

dankrutka
12-19-2017, 12:08 PM
Props to Jose for investing in this area and thinking outside the box. He does great work. This should continue to bring Film Row to life.

Pete
12-19-2017, 12:19 PM
Remember just 2 short years ago when FlashBack went in and absolutely nothing was down there?

Now, the whole area is exploding.

And they did very well just off on their own. That place stays very busy and they are doing great numbers, well beyond what they had projected.

Anonymous.
12-19-2017, 12:33 PM
I went to Flashback last weekend and they were running out of beers. Place was packed. Seemed like a lot of work holiday party type of groups.

John Knight
12-19-2017, 01:09 PM
I am so happy for Jose and all the work he has put in. These will be great additions to the already booming Film Row district.

Fun Fact: Jose hired me to design both of these logos. :)

dankrutka
12-19-2017, 02:35 PM
I am so happy for Jose and all the work he has put in. These will be great additions to the already booming Film Row district.

Fun Fact: Jose hired me to design both of these logos. :)

Props to John too! Another local OKC business.

TheirTheir
12-19-2017, 03:02 PM
I think I would develop an anxiety disorder if I owned that Wacky Wheelz business. I wish them the best, but boy that sounds scary knowing how ignorant many Oklahoma drivers are with respect to cyclists.

dcsooner
12-19-2017, 07:24 PM
Not at all a supporter of the juxtaposition of religion and debauchery

gopokes88
12-19-2017, 07:53 PM

Yeah...gotta say that’s a bold/stupid risk to take in the Bible Belt. It’s going to be pretty offensive to some.

JRod1980
12-19-2017, 08:05 PM

You must not be a supporter of catholics then... :rolleyes: kidding, lol

JRod1980
12-19-2017, 08:18 PM
If it helps anyones conscience we plan on donating 10% of our Sunday Revenue to a different church every week. We also want to work with local church pastors open to the idea of having open dialogues with non-church participating members on a select night each week. Not for the pastor to come preach to people, but to listen to what others understanding of the bible might be and reasons why they might not attend any type of religious establishments. So no, it won't all be a "juxtaposition of religion and debauchery", we'll have foosball and bingo too.

bchris02
12-19-2017, 08:19 PM
Yeah...gotta say that’s a bold/stupid risk to take in the Bible Belt. It’s going to be pretty offensive to some.

Probably so, but people need to get over it. It's 2017. Not everything has to be sanitized to be palatable to the Baptists. If it offends people, they have the right to not go.

Plutonic Panda
12-19-2017, 08:20 PM
Typical religious crap in OKC. OKC has some weird religious agenda which is probably why the BOK tower is the bland corporate site that it is and they didn’t rehabilitate those structures which would have propelled that area into a vibrant nightlife scene. Even a deal was made for Repiblic to move into the bus station. The tower could have been built on the parking lot next to it. But that would have created too much of a big city vibrant scene for OKC apparently. Just like concepts like this.

I love my city but I really loose hope for it sometimes when things like this constantly come up. How long before the proposed bike tour thing gets complaints for loud rap music saying bad words that you hear in every other city but in OKC the soccer moms will cover their children’s ears, complain the children are hearing bad words, there are drunks on bicycles, and they will go home and cuss out liberals. Great stuff.

I will support this place when I’m there and would love a chance to tour these bikes and patronize this bar. Let’s see what happens. I hope I’m wrong. There is just a weird religious vibe in OKC I have yet to experience in any other city of its size.

Plutonic Panda
12-19-2017, 08:23 PM
If it helps anyones conscience we plan on donating 10% of our Sunday Revenue to a different church every week. We also want to work with local church pastors open to the idea of having open dialogues with non-church participating members on a select night each week. Not for the pastor to come preach to people, but to listen to what others understanding of the bible might be and reasons why they might not attend any type of religious establishments. So no, it won't all be a "juxtaposition of religion and debauchery", we'll have foosball and bingo too.
Is that first like a joke? Is that really what you feel you have to do to justify having this bar themed the way it is? I mean for f@cks sake man, if you’re doing for your own reason that’s great. But it’s just so people in OKC have a good conscience, wtf.

JRod1980
12-19-2017, 08:36 PM
Some will love it, some will be indifferent about it and some will hate it. If someone finds it offensive, they have the right not to attend. It's risk is the same as any other business that opens or bar for that matter. But I'd rather failed trying to do something different that no one else has tried, then succeed doing the exact same cookie cutter bar that's been done a hundred times in OKC.

Plutonic Panda
12-19-2017, 08:39 PM
I agree with you. I will certainly patronize these businesses and I love the boldness. I hope it’s successful and it should be.

JRod1980
12-19-2017, 08:48 PM
Plutonic,

We really do plan on donating 10% of our Sunday Revenue to a different church every week. Its my own decision to do it, not because I feel pressured to. We constantly donate to different causes at FlashBack and I plan on doing the same at Sanctuary. Its just something I always wanted to do if I got in a position to do so. Hope you introduce yourself when you do visit Sanctuary.

Plutonic Panda
12-19-2017, 09:37 PM
Plutonic,

We really do plan on donating 10% of our Sunday Revenue to a different church every week. Its my own decision to do it, not because I feel pressured to. We constantly donate to different causes at FlashBack and I plan on doing the same at Sanctuary. Its just something I always wanted to do if I got in a position to do so. Hope you introduce yourself when you do visit Sanctuary.I will and I’m looking forward to it! I love Flashback and always make it a point to visit when I’m in town. Things like these establishments will go so long in providing great life to OKC.

jonny d
12-19-2017, 09:48 PM
Typical religious crap in OKC. OKC has some weird religious agenda which is probably why the BOK tower is the bland corporate site that it is and they didn’t rehabilitate those structures which would have propelled that area into a vibrant nightlife scene. Even a deal was made for Repiblic to move into the bus station. The tower could have been built on the parking lot next to it. But that would have created too much of a big city vibrant scene for OKC apparently. Just like concepts like this.

I love my city but I really loose hope for it sometimes when things like this constantly come up. How long before the proposed bike tour thing gets complaints for loud rap music saying bad words that you hear in every other city but in OKC the soccer moms will cover their children’s ears, complain the children are hearing bad words, there are drunks on bicycles, and they will go home and cuss out liberals. Great stuff.

I will support this place when I’m there and would love a chance to tour these bikes and patronize this bar. Let’s see what happens. I hope I’m wrong. There is just a weird religious vibe in OKC I have yet to experience in any other city of its size.

Boy, that escalated quickly.

hoya
12-19-2017, 10:37 PM
Typical religious crap in OKC. OKC has some weird religious agenda which is probably why the BOK tower is the bland corporate site that it is and they didn’t rehabilitate those structures which would have propelled that area into a vibrant nightlife scene.

What?

Plutonic Panda
12-20-2017, 05:55 AM
What?

Yes, it’s a conspiracy theory.

Colbafone
12-20-2017, 08:23 AM
I'm telling you right now, The Sanctuary will be a massive hit. Despite most of the OKC metro being staunchly Southern Baptist, there are those of us that are not, and we will fully enjoy it.

As for Wacky Wheelz, fantastic idea, but the name will be it's downfall. It's just... Horrible. I'm having Gigglez flashbacks.

stile99
12-20-2017, 08:31 AM
Not sure what is going on, especially with the last handful of posts, but I just have to say, in response to the idea of Holy Sangria served in a chalice:

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

And might I suggest a confessional? Every tenth sin gets you your choice of Hot as Hell chicken wings or a slice of angel food cake!

Colbafone
12-20-2017, 08:35 AM
Not sure what is going on, especially with the last handful of posts, but I just have to say, in response to the idea of Holy Sangria served in a chalice:

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

And might I suggest a confessional? Every tenth sin gets you your choice of Hot as Hell chicken wings or a slice of angel food cake!

Holy hell I love that idea!

Pete
12-20-2017, 08:35 AM
They will also be serving this from Twisted Spike Brewery:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/holybeer.jpg

sooner88
12-20-2017, 08:52 AM
I think whatever controversy there may initially be about this concept will bring more people in.

Slightly different, but we were recently in San Antonio and went to the Frank which is a German beer hall in an old church. The main room is in the original sanctuary and made for a really cool setting with all the old stained glass.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/frank-san-antonio

Pete
12-20-2017, 09:00 AM
I like the double-meaning of the name... Sanctuary has church connotations but also is a place of refuge, which is what a good bar should be.

And with "She Sells" in front of it, a great track by The Cult. :)

warreng88
12-20-2017, 09:08 AM
Remember just 2 short years ago when FlashBack went in and absolutely nothing was down there?

Now, the whole area is exploding.

And they did very well just off on their own. That place stays very busy and they are doing great numbers, well beyond what they had projected.

Think about how busy it will be in a year when all the apartments just north and west of them are completed.

Roger S
12-20-2017, 09:10 AM
And with "She Sells" in front of it, a great track by The Cult. :)

Not that there are any tracks by The Cult that aren't great. Bay-bee! Bay-bee! Bay-beeeeee!!! ;)

dankrutka
12-20-2017, 09:48 AM
A local business doesn't require the approval of the populace in general, it only needs to do a good job serving it's patrons. This concept will do fine.

Ross MacLochness
12-20-2017, 10:08 AM
I'm telling you right now, The Sanctuary will be a massive hit. Despite most of the OKC metro being staunchly Southern Baptist, there are those of us that are not, and we will fully enjoy it.

As for Wacky Wheelz, fantastic idea, but the name will be it's downfall. It's just... Horrible. I'm having Gigglez flashbacks.

do you remember the old PC game Wacky Wheelz?

jerrywall
12-20-2017, 10:36 AM
Will they be closed for private events as often as Flashback has seemed to be lately. I've tried going there multiple times in the past few weeks and keep coming up against that. I work basically next door and have yet been able to make it in. It'll be nice to have another after work place.

Bullbear
12-20-2017, 11:31 AM
I think the concept will offend the people who would most likely never have attended regardless of the theme or name. I Love the concept and look forward to it! I mean the boom does a "Gospel Brunch" weekly that is sold out most every Sunday and is most likely more offensive to some than this concept. Best of luck and look forward to visiting!

no1cub17
12-20-2017, 11:56 AM
I appreciate the owner being forthcoming about the evangelical nature of this establishment. Crossing it off my list but I imagine others will feel differently!

jerrywall
12-20-2017, 12:41 PM
The only thing about the name for me is the confusion with The Sanctuary on I-35.

Bullbear
12-20-2017, 01:17 PM
The only thing about the name for me is the confusion with The Sanctuary on I-35.

I had a friend who owned a Salon on 16th called " Sanctuary Salon".. she got calls all the time in Oct asking about haunted house prices.

JRod1980
12-20-2017, 02:00 PM
This Holiday season was extremely busy for us, in regards to Private Events. We had 10 events in a 2 week period, when we might have 1 maybe 2 any regular month. The other difference is that we had a lot of groups host their parties on Friday nights, but when we re-opened to the general public after the event there was a line of people waiting to get in each time. We are done with private events for 2017, so you can come in at anytime the rest of the month.

warreng88
12-20-2017, 02:00 PM

Wasn't the old church that was turned into a nightclub that eventually caught fire and was torn down at 31st and Classen called the Sanctuary?

Colbafone
12-20-2017, 02:15 PM
do you remember the old PC game Wacky Wheelz?

Of course! Wacky "Totally not Mario Kart" Wheelz".

Again, The Sanctuary might become OKC's most successful bar. But Wacky Wheelz is just...awful. makes me cringe. Even "Tooters and Scooters" would be a better name.

jerrywall
12-20-2017, 02:18 PM
This Holiday season was extremely busy for us, in regards to Private Events. We had 10 events in a 2 week period, when we might have 1 maybe 2 any regular month. The other difference is that we had a lot of groups host their parties on Friday nights, but when we re-opened to the general public after the event there was a line of people waiting to get in each time. We are done with private events for 2017, so you can come in at anytime the rest of the month.

Just to be clear, I wasn't upset. It was just I evidently have the worst timing in the world. I'ved worked in Film Row for about a month (and park my big blue motorcycle in the gated lot behind Flashback) and each day I tried to come in I somehow choose a day with an event. I was giving my friend Jerry (different Jerry of course) crap about it the other day because one of the events involved him.

jerrywall
12-20-2017, 02:20 PM
Wasn't the old church that was turned into a nightclub that eventually caught fire and was torn down at 31st and Classen called the Sanctuary?

Yes, I believe so. If I recalled it was owned by the folks who own Mystical Illusions tattoos and piercings. They got inundated with noise complaints from the nearby residents.

JRod1980
12-20-2017, 02:31 PM
I do have to say, I love the hypocrisy of judging others about their business choices while claiming to be a Christian all at the same time (read Matthew 7:1-5). It's the one thing I know early on I would love about this bar. The best part is people who are already saying they won't be going there, without even seeing what it will look like or what the experience will be. I think those people are simply afraid that they will just love it so much that they will want to be there all the time, lol. Change scares a lot of people I get it, I'm sure there will be plenty of people judging me based on my concept choice alone and to be quite honest I don't really care. I grew up in a Catholic house and I live in a Christian one now, so Sanctuary will not be an anti-church or anti-christ business. It's gonna be a location where every single person, from every life style, every ethnicity, every religious belief or lack there of will be welcomed, which if we are honest is more than we can say about a lot of churches in this day in age. We will be a non-denominational bar of sorts ;)

JRod1980
12-20-2017, 02:42 PM
Of course! Wacky "Totally not Mario Kart" Wheelz".

Again, The Sanctuary might become OKC's most successful bar. But Wacky Wheelz is just...awful. makes me cringe. Even "Tooters and Scooters" would be a better name.

This is another case of no one really understanding what this concept is or what the bicycles will look like. But again everyone has the right to their own opinion or "constructive criticism".

Roger S
12-20-2017, 02:47 PM
Yeah... You lost me at karaoke. ;)

Other than that I think it's an interesting concept and I'm sure you were prepared for the blow back. Had to know that would be coming.

king183
12-20-2017, 02:48 PM
I'm baffled by the debate going on here. I'm willing to bet a large amount of money that this bar engenders approximately the same level of outrage, protest, and controversy as the Starbucks red cups. That is to say, there will be absolutely no outrage, protest, and controversy outside of a few manufacturing it for little reason.

This bar will be a successful, unique place and Christians won't even bat an eye at it.

Jersey Boss
12-20-2017, 03:01 PM
I grew up in a Catholic house and I live in a Christian one now, ...

Best of wishes and luck on this new endeavor. While a pet peeve of mine, certainly you know that "Catholic", is not exclusive of Christian.

JRod1980
12-20-2017, 03:01 PM
Yeah... You lost me at karaoke. ;)

Other than that I think it's an interesting concept and I'm sure you were prepared for the blow back. Had to know that would be coming.

Absolutely I did, which is why I held off doing it for a couple of years. To be honest when I first visited the "Church Bar" in Atlanta, my first thought was "That is so wrong", then my second thought was "That's Genius". Pete is my witness, I talked to him about this concept well over a year ago and what the challenges would be here in OKC, the biggest one being the perception of others and the blow back I would receive from some folks that just want a reason to complain. I wasn't fully ready to move forward then, but I am now.

bchris02
12-20-2017, 03:09 PM
I'm baffled by the debate going on here. I'm willing to bet a large amount of money that this bar engenders approximately the same level of outrage, protest, and controversy as the Starbucks red cups. That is to say, there will be absolutely no outrage, protest, and controversy outside of a few manufacturing it for little reason.

This bar will be a successful, unique place and Christians won't even bat an eye at it.

Yeah the people most outspoken against this will probably be those such as the fine parishioners of the church at SW 54th and Blackwelder, the exact people who become outraged about things like red Starbucks cups and other manufactured controversies and will give you a dirty look if you say Happy Holidays. The people that ignored the May 3, 1999 tornado yet put a ton of energy into opposing the OKC Pride banners on Classen back in the early 2000s. It's the church that gave us JC Watts and Ralph Shortey. Those people won't be going to ANY bars, regardless of theme.

ultimatesooner
12-20-2017, 03:14 PM
I'm sure the social media warriors will come out at 1st but that will die down as the next story of the day comes along.

Wilshire Gun Range caught a bunch of flack and there haven't been a bunch of drunks having shootouts yet

Roger S
12-20-2017, 03:14 PM
Absolutely I did, which is why I held off doing it for a couple of years. To be honest when I first visited the "Church Bar" in Atlanta, my first thought was "That is so wrong", then my second thought was "That's Genius". Pete is my witness, I talked to him about this concept well over a year ago and what the challenges would be here in OKC, the biggest one being the perception of others and the blow back I would receive from some folks that just want a reason to complain. I wasn't fully ready to move forward then, but I am now.

Yep... Pretty much the same thoughts that jumped in my head when Pete posted it. ;)

jerrywall
12-20-2017, 03:21 PM
Yeah the people most outspoken against this will probably be those such as the fine parishioners of the church at SW 54th and Blackwelder, the exact people who become outraged about things like red Starbucks cups and other manufactured controversies and will give you a dirty look if you say Happy Holidays. The people that ignored the May 3, 1999 tornado yet put a ton of energy into opposing the OKC Pride banners on Classen back in the early 2000s. It's the church that gave us JC Watts and Ralph Shortey. Those people won't be going to ANY bars, regardless of theme.

They go to bars, just not through the front door. ��

pw405
12-20-2017, 05:33 PM
JRod - I've enjoyed Flashback about a dozen times, typically on Friday/Saturday night. It seems that with a few changes, it could be substantially better. Hopefully you keep these considerations in mind when planning the new establishments.

* - Why is the back patio closed? Flashback's current setup for vapers/smokers is awful, and I have personally seen customers just decide to leave after smoking because they don't want to screw with trying to re-enter (especially if there is a line).

Here's the execution plan if somebody wants to smoke/vape while spending money at Flashback:

-Make way to front, weave through line as needed,
-"check out" with the door guy (optional) (I usually let him know I'll brb if he says "have a good night", etc.
-place drinks on window sill for door guy to babysit (trust nobody will drug drink)
-go outside and crowd the entrance to the establishment (with smoke)/occasional line, while smoke wofts into the building because the door is open
(FYI, practically nobody obeys the 25' from entrance to building, especially if cold/rainy)
-"re-check-in" with door guy, so he knows you've already paid
- (re-wait in line if there is a line).

Repeat as needed, for most nicotine users, this would happen 5-10 times/night, creating substantially more door traffic than necessary.

Not that any of this is cruel/unusual, but when I see a log jam at the front of the building, a 100% vacant VIP lounge, and a back patio that is "off limits" during the busiest times of the week.. it does make one think.. "what are these guys smoking?":p

*- I've never once, ever, seen a single person in the VIP lounge. The only purpose I generally see the VIP lounge serving is a room of furniture to look at before entering the restroom. I say the business would be better served to refund the people who purchased a VIP membership, make the VIP lounge open at all times, but take reservations for a private parties of ~10-20. Make the VIP games take quarters on Friday/Saturday night, hell, I dunno. Anything seems better than just sitting there empty.

*- Last weekend we got there around 9:30, it was packed. Until around 11:00PM, it seemed that it was suddenly empty. This is just more of an FYI than anything else, but if I owned the business, I would investigate why this is happening. I've never owned a bar, but to me it seems that the hours of 11:00-1:00 are often prime time to generate revenue.

I mention these things because I want to see Flashback be successful - Flashback is the perfect antidote to the experience & atmosphere that the Hall family is selling across the street. Capitalize on this difference!

jerrywall
12-20-2017, 10:12 PM
I'll let him reply for himself, but I was there tonight and the conversation did cover the patio, and the crowd from across the street. Definitely seems to be stuff they're aware of and have on thier minds.

Oh, and evidently the trivia coming up is 90s movies. I plan to bring my Clueless, Empire Records, and Clerk nerdom into play in the new year.

PhiAlpha
12-20-2017, 10:50 PM

WOAH!!! PluPlan with the HOT TAKE!!!

dankrutka
12-20-2017, 11:19 PM
It’s really cool for Jose to invest in OKC, open different and innovative concepts, and come here and answer questions. Really disappointed in a lot of negative and rude comments in this thread. Asking questions or constructive criticism is one thing, but blasting a name as “awful” or trashing a concept shows a lot more about a poster than anything else. If you wouldn’t say it in real life to someone’s face then don’t type it online, especially to a local investor who has a record of success and charity. Again, I’m not saying don’t bring up issues or your opinion, but consider your word choice and tone.

jerrywall
12-21-2017, 07:38 AM
It’s really cool for Jose to invest in OKC, open different and innovative concepts, and come here and answer questions. Really disappointed in a lot of negative and rude comments in this thread. Asking questions or constructive criticism is one thing, but blasting a name as “awful” or trashing a concept shows a lot more about a poster than anything else. If you wouldn’t say it in real life to someone’s face then don’t type it online, especially to a local investor who has a record of success and charity. Again, I’m not saying don’t bring up issues or your opinion, but consider your word choice and tone.

Is there another thread with hidden posts that you and PP are reading. I see one post that is someone not liking the concept, and I dislike the poster's tone most of the time, but this was pretty innocuous. Plus it's ok if a concept isn't for everyone. Everything else seems pretty positive. I can't seem to find a post blasting the name as awful either? Is this a case of folks anticipating a conflict that hasn't happened yet?

Roger S
12-21-2017, 07:45 AM
Is there another thread with hidden posts that you and PP are reading. I see one post that is someone not liking the concept, and I dislike the poster's tone most of the time, but this was pretty innocuous. Plus it's ok if a concept isn't for everyone. Everything else seems pretty positive. I can't seem to find a post blasting the name as awful either? Is this a case of folks anticipating a conflict that hasn't happened yet?

Post 22.

jerrywall
12-21-2017, 07:54 AM
Post 22.

Meh, I guess. I don't see anything there I wouldn't say in person. It seems a reasonable post.

pw405
12-21-2017, 07:58 AM
I'll let him reply for himself, but I was there tonight and the conversation did cover the patio, and the crowd from across the street...

Are you saying the patio was open, or that people were asking about why it was closed/etc?

jerrywall
12-21-2017, 08:06 AM
Are you saying the patio was open, or that people were asking about why it was closed/etc?

Jose was discussing the patio with me. I mentioned that for me the time I would use it would be on nice weather days and I wanted some quieter space to have a conversation. I got the impression they are very aware of the fact that they underutilize that space and are evaluating it (and taking it into mind when looking at future endeavors).