View Full Version : ACLU Fighting for Woman Sentenced 30 Years for Failure to Protect

Midtowner
12-12-2017, 02:30 PM
The American Civil Liberties Union is fighting for the release of an Oklahoma woman sentenced to 30 years in prison for failing to protect her children from their abusive father.

http://newsok.com/aclu-fights-for-release-of-oklahoma-woman-imprisoned-for-failing-to-protect-children-from-abusive-dad/article/5575640

I sat through the argument this morning on this case. It's really an interesting deal and was a use of the Writ of Habeas Corpus I hadn't imagined. Both the State's attorney and Mr. Henderson did a great job here, but this is a pretty amazing situation. The father who actually broke the bones of his infant child got 8 years of probation while the mother was sentenced to 30 years and won't be eligible for parole until she has completed 85% of that sentence.

It'll be interesting to see how this one plays out. This looks to be some sort of end run around the ordinary post conviction relief process by asking a judge, and now the Supreme Court (not the Court of Civil Appeals, which again, end-run) of the State of Oklahoma to say that a district judge has the jurisdiction to modify sentences where he sees an injustice.

Martin
12-12-2017, 02:55 PM
the oklahoman article says that the father took a plea deal. was the mother also offered a plea bargain that she chose to reject?

TheTravellers
12-12-2017, 02:58 PM
http://newsok.com/aclu-fights-for-release-of-oklahoma-woman-imprisoned-for-failing-to-protect-children-from-abusive-dad/article/5575640

I sat through the argument this morning on this case. It's really an interesting deal and was a use of the Writ of Habeas Corpus I hadn't imagined. Both the State's attorney and Mr. Henderson did a great job here, but this is a pretty amazing situation. The father who actually broke the bones of his infant child got 8 years of probation while the mother was sentenced to 30 years and won't be eligible for parole until she has completed 85% of that sentence.

It'll be interesting to see how this one plays out. This looks to be some sort of end run around the ordinary post conviction relief process by asking a judge, and now the Supreme Court (not the Court of Civil Appeals, which again, end-run) of the State of Oklahoma to say that a district judge has the jurisdiction to modify sentences where he sees an injustice.

Shades of the blame-shifting in the Magdiel Sanchez case and DA Prater's crap he spewed about Sanchez's father:

“Why would any father leave their mentally impaired, hearing impaired son in the front yard, with this in his hand, to deal with police?” Prater said. “He set his son up to die.”

Midtowner
12-12-2017, 03:54 PM
the oklahoman article says that the father took a plea deal. was the mother also offered a plea bargain that she chose to reject?

Maybe? I'm more interested in this potential application of the Writ of Habeas Corpus. I'm not sure it's really used to "correct injustice," even though, as my wife points out, anyone who has watched Legally Blonde knows it was created to do. Is the application of due process and a sentence received after said due process always considered "justice"? I'm sure the sentencing judge had his reasons. It's just the sort of Pandora's Box something like this could open up which intrigues me.

Jeepnokc
12-12-2017, 06:54 PM

Did you mean end run around the Court of Criminal Appeals?

Midtowner
12-12-2017, 07:25 PM
Did you mean end run around the Court of Criminal Appeals?

Yep. Sometimes my fingers get ahead of my brain.

Jeepnokc
12-12-2017, 07:40 PM
Yep. Sometimes my fingers get ahead of my brain.

They have a better chance of relief from the civil side versus our current Court of Crims if they can get it there.

onthestrip
12-13-2017, 08:55 AM
This case is so bad. An example of our harsh and overly punitive laws and no one in government really caring about correcting it.

TheTravellers
12-13-2017, 09:27 AM
This case is so bad. An example of our harsh and overly punitive laws and no one in government really caring about correcting it.

To be fair, we did pass SQ 780 and SQ 781, but yeah, that was a vote of the people forcing the gov't to do something instead of them taking the initiative.

Midtowner
12-13-2017, 04:05 PM
And to be fair, the legislature gutted those reforms.

TheTravellers
12-13-2017, 04:47 PM

Hmmm, thought those efforts to change 780 and 781 failed, but there were other reform bills around that may've passed, guess I need to do some research.

hoya
12-14-2017, 05:08 AM

How do you mean?

Midtowner
12-14-2017, 02:00 PM
http://kfor.com/2017/03/09/house-bill-that-would-change-voters-criminal-justice-decision-passes/

TheTravellers
12-14-2017, 05:49 PM
http://kfor.com/2017/03/09/house-bill-that-would-change-voters-criminal-justice-decision-passes/

From what I can see, it didn't get to the Senate, so it's not in effect, right? And SB512 didn't get voted on. So are they up for votes in the Senate in the next regular session or do they die?

Bunty
12-15-2017, 01:13 AM
At least two opponents of SQ 780 are gone from the Legislature. Sen. Shortey and Rep. Biggs. Biggs thought it was bad that anybody caught burning the flag a second time would no longer be charged with a felony. Never mind that a Supreme Court ruling didn't find flag burning as a crime. I'm so glad both of them are gone.

hoya
12-15-2017, 05:41 AM

I'm still waiting for an answer that is responsive to my question.