View Full Version : Omma Greek Kitchen

Pete
12-05-2017, 11:44 AM
The operator that was originally going to open on N. Western is now moving forward to converting the former Peloton space in Auto Alley to Omma Greek Kitchen.

They have already started work and hope to open before the end of the year.

Will feature authentic Greek food.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/omma120317a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/omma120317b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/omma120317c.jpg

Martin
12-05-2017, 12:30 PM
i was really looking forward to this place... glad to hear it's going forward and closer to the office to boot.

bchris02
12-05-2017, 12:38 PM
Great news! OKC really needs an authentic Greek restaurant. Everything I've tried around here for the most part has been extremely Americanized and overall not very good (there was an authentic Greek restaurant I was a regular at when I lived in Charlotte). One of the staples is being able to get a lamb gyro or kabob. Everywhere I've tried around here only do chicken or beef. Maybe I just haven't tried the right places.

FighttheGoodFight
12-05-2017, 01:24 PM
Great news! OKC really needs an authentic Greek restaurant. Everything I've tried around here for the most part has been extremely Americanized and overall not very good (there was an authentic Greek restaurant I was a regular at when I lived in Charlotte). One of the staples is being able to get a lamb gyro or kabob. Everywhere I've tried around here only do chicken or beef. Maybe I just haven't tried the right places.

Believe it or not most places around Greece do chicken, beef or pork.

If you get a chance try the Greek House in Norman. It is a beef lamb combo and very good. Mind you it is cash or check only but very tasty and cheap. Good family owns it as well when the original family moved back to Greece.

Bellaboo
12-05-2017, 02:35 PM
I see they have a 'painted eye' to ward off the evil spirits.

Dr Beard Face
12-05-2017, 02:58 PM

If you get a chance try the Greek House in Norman. It is a beef lamb combo and very good. Mind you it is cash or check only but very tasty and cheap. Good family owns it as well when the original family moved back to Greece. If this place is near as good as Greek House, I will be there atleast once a week. I used to love living on Campus Corner and smelling Greek House whenever I opened my front door.

Jersey Boss
12-05-2017, 04:12 PM

If you get a chance try the Greek House in Norman. It is a beef lamb combo and very good. Mind you it is cash or check only but very tasty and cheap. Good family owns it as well when the original family moved back to Greece.

There's an ATM in the GREEK HOUSE for the currency challenged.

sixkiller
12-08-2017, 10:48 AM

Greek House is GOOD, but the meat is just off the truck from Kronos distributors. The sauce was handmade and the fries are the WORLD'S BEST because meat drippings were poured into the fryer. Those are really the key items.

soonerguru
12-08-2017, 11:05 AM
Greek House is GOOD, but the meat is just off the truck from Kronos distributors. The sauce was handmade and the fries are the WORLD'S BEST because meat drippings were poured into the fryer. Those are really the key items.

I realize the meat comes from the same place, but it just tastes better than anywhere else. It's bizarre. Also, their ingredients: onions, tomatoes, etc. are ALWAYS ridiculously fresh and delicious, EVERY SINGLE TIME. It is the most consistently great restaurant around.

Jeepnokc
03-03-2018, 06:33 AM
Has this place opened? Anyone try it?

Martin
03-03-2018, 07:00 AM
don't know... was actually looking around the internet for any evidence just this past week but now i'm realizing that i was searching for "oma" instead of "omma."

Teo9969
03-03-2018, 09:26 AM
I don't think it's open just yet. Probably some time this month.

Pete
05-01-2018, 07:46 AM
This project is still on, just been some construction delays.

They are enclosing part of the old patio (from when it was Peloton) to provide indoor seating and doing a bunch of other things.

MadMonk
05-01-2018, 03:47 PM
What an odd name for a restaurant. The logo fits. :)

Ginkasa
05-02-2018, 01:12 PM
What an odd name for a restaurant. The logo fits. :)

I think this is it:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E1%BD%84%CE%BC%CE%BC%CE%B1

Jeepnokc
05-05-2018, 09:44 AM
I think this is it:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E1%BD%84%CE%BC%CE%BC%CE%B1

LOL...I just assumed it was similar to the German Oma which is Grandma. Missed the mark on this one,

Pete
07-12-2018, 04:14 PM
Their sign is up and they are getting closer (this is from the owner's FB page):

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/omma071218.jpg

Martin
07-12-2018, 07:03 PM
that's some pretty unique signage. hope this place serves gyros... sweiss is the only place close to my office and while they're decent i'd like to have some different (and possibly better) options.

TheTravellers
07-12-2018, 08:20 PM
that's some pretty unique signage. hope this place serves gyros... sweiss is the only place close to my office and while they're decent i'd like to have some different (and possibly better) options.

We've tried lots of gyros here, and yeah, Sweiss is not great (bread's good, meat's not). Gyro City Cafe (strip mall on SW corner of MacArthur/Expwy, not the snowcone-type shack on the SE corner) is the best we've found. Asked the guy that cuts my hair at Hair Zone on 36th/May how the gyros were at the places next to it, and he said they're OK, but the best is Gyro City (he had no idea I'd ever eaten there), and quite a few other folks that I've taken there agree. Probably not close to your office, but worth a trip.

Pete
07-12-2018, 08:28 PM
This will be authentic Greek food.

I'm really excited about it.

Martin
07-12-2018, 08:36 PM
This will be authentic Greek food.

I'm really excited about it.

yeah... that's why i'm not sure they'll have gyros. i'm looking forward to trying it even if they don't.

Thomas Vu
07-12-2018, 11:20 PM
We've tried lots of gyros here, and yeah, Sweiss is not great (bread's good, meat's not). Gyro City Cafe (strip mall on SW corner of MacArthur/Expwy, not the snowcone-type shack on the SE corner) is the best we've found. Asked the guy that cuts my hair at Hair Zone on 36th/May how the gyros were at the places next to it, and he said they're OK, but the best is Gyro City (he had no idea I'd ever eaten there), and quite a few other folks that I've taken there agree. Probably not close to your office, but worth a trip.

I had that one to be the saltiest. Also best value.

sooner88
07-13-2018, 08:44 AM
Hopefully they have real gyro meat... sliced and stacked on a rotisserie instead of that nasty cone meat that every other place here has.

progressiveboy
07-13-2018, 10:38 AM
When I think of authentic, traditional Greek food, I think dolmades, greek lasagna (pastitsio), moussaka, spanakopita, feta saganaki , fried squid etc... not gyros.

Pete
07-13-2018, 10:42 AM
When I interviewed the owner when they were originally planning to open on Western Ave., he said:

The menu is being developed in conjunction with a chef in Greece and will feature lamb, skewers, authentic gyros and other traditional Greek offerings cooked over a charcoal flame.

progressiveboy
07-13-2018, 10:46 AM
Interesting! Lamb is very big in Greece. I wonder if this location will sell greek olives, greek cheeses (feta) etc.. ?

bchris02
07-13-2018, 06:51 PM
Hopefully they have real gyro meat... sliced and stacked on a rotisserie instead of that nasty cone meat that every other place here has.

I agree. I have been disappointed with every Greek restaurant I've tried around here. It's all very Americanized. I don't know...a Greek restaurant that only serves chicken or beef and not lamb is like a Mexican restaurant that uses Velveeta cheese to me. Looking forward to giving this a try because it appears that they are trying to do it the right way.

Uptowner
07-14-2018, 12:42 AM

You might be confusing shawarma, which is stacked slices of any meat of your choice, typically halal cuts. And Gyro, or the Turkish doner kebab, which differs in spices and dressing, but is both variations of ground beef & lamb, sometimes pork and veal, doner is wildly popular in Europe & Canada and is much more “lamy”. However shawarma is only the Arabic translation so it can all be loaf, which is vastly more popular than the stacked and sliced variety. I stick with al pastor for my spinning meat fix when not in the mood for garlic meatloaf. Mediterranean deli does the stacked variety but can sometimes be quite chewy.

sooner88
07-15-2018, 02:38 PM
You might be confusing shawarma, which is stacked slices of any meat of your choice, typically halal cuts. And Gyro, or the Turkish doner kebab, which differs in spices and dressing, but is both variations of ground beef & lamb, sometimes pork and veal, doner is wildly popular in Europe & Canada and is much more “lamy”. However shawarma is only the Arabic translation so it can all be loaf, which is vastly more popular than the stacked and sliced variety. I stick with al pastor for my spinning meat fix when not in the mood for garlic meatloaf. Mediterranean deli does the stacked variety but can sometimes be quite chewy.

I'm familiar with the doner kebabs found in Europe and around town and with sharwa. Authentic gyro's are done with the stacked meat on a skewer and cooked on a rotisserie, not the pre-packaged cones.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-greek-gyro-is-made-4121890

ShadowStrings
07-15-2018, 08:23 PM
Slightly off-topic, but are there places in OKC that sell döner kebab?

d-usa
07-15-2018, 08:41 PM
There is a food truck called Turkish Delights, that sells Döner and Turkish pizzas. The only downside is that they don’t have that thick bread I’m used to eating with my Döner in Germany.

ShadowStrings
07-15-2018, 09:59 PM
There is a food truck called Turkish Delights, that sells Döner and Turkish pizzas. The only downside is that they don’t have that thick bread I’m used to eating with my Döner in Germany.

I've been missing my German Döner as well.

d-usa
07-15-2018, 10:11 PM
They park at Tinker quite a bit. I’m sure that there are a lot of military folks with Döner nostalgia keeping them in business.

Johnb911
07-16-2018, 07:08 AM
This is fantastic news. I have been opining for years (without actually doing any leg work and looking for one) that OKC needs a doner kabob place. I'll have to check these guys out!

LFordD40
08-10-2018, 06:59 AM
Any update on this place? I usually have an urge for Greek food once a week and it would be nice to have a new place downtown to go during lunch.

derp
09-04-2018, 02:35 PM

Is that the truck that sometimes sets up at the hipster place in Midtown? If so, that is the best gyro-like food I've had in Oklahoma.