View Full Version : Windows XP SP2???

Patrick
09-14-2004, 10:48 PM
Has anyone installed the new Service Pack 2 update for Windows XP? I have not yet....the Univ. of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center decided to hold off for a couple of months to make sure all the bugs are worked out, so I figured I'd do the same.

Anyways, just wondering if anyone had any experiences with it, because I'm probably going to install it soon. I always hate being behind on Windows Security updates. Last summer I didn't even know what a security update was! Well, I sure found out after the Blaster Worm tore through my computer. That was not a pleasant experience. I had to spend an entire weekend rebuilding my system!

Anyways, just wanted some news before I started the update process.

Midtowner
09-16-2004, 11:43 AM
A buddy of mine does computer consulting work. Here's what I'd recommend. If you're on a network and a novice computer user, you might want to hold off. SP/2 has a built in firewall. So unless you know how to setup the permissions, no one's going to be able to access your shared files on the network (you can disable the firewall though).

He's billed tons of time fixing peoples networks over this issue though.

Patrick
09-16-2004, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the information.

It's actually my home PC...any recommendations on that?

Joe Schmoe
09-17-2004, 08:17 AM
Here is an interesting article I just found. The Register is not an anti Windows publication, and well respected in IT news.

So, I don't think it is unreasonably biased. I've read other stories that say much the same thing.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/17/xphome_sp2/

And I think setting up permissions & running a firewall will be one of the best things you can learn if your computer goes on the internet.

Patrick
09-18-2004, 12:14 AM
Great information Joe Schmoe. Thanks for providing it!