View Full Version : Long John Silvers

acumpton
11-13-2017, 04:24 AM
Noticed this weekend that the Long John Silvers on E. 12th St. is permanently closed. The sign on the door states to visit their location in Moore.

traxx
11-13-2017, 08:36 AM
Can't believe any LJS is still open. Do people actually eat there?

HangryHippo
11-13-2017, 08:39 AM

I love me some hush puppies from time to time.

RadicalModerate
11-13-2017, 08:43 AM
My wife and I used to enjoy the fish dinners, with fries and hushpuppies and "fried fried" and slaw about once every two weeks. Then I had to put myself on an eating plan to lose a ton of weight. Part of that eating plan involved checking out the "healthiness" of various food options. Imagine my surprise to learn that the LJS dinner I just described was ranked--in more than one survey--as just about the most unhealthy fast food available. And here I thought that fish wasn't only healthy but also brain food. (we still eat fish about once a week: pan seared and oven finished, or baked/broiled.)

acumpton
11-13-2017, 09:24 AM

I'm the only one in my family that likes seafood, so if I'm out running errands or something, I would sometimes stop in for my fix.

Roger S
11-13-2017, 10:35 AM

About once a year and then shortly after eating I remember why I never eat there.

Paseofreak
11-13-2017, 11:00 AM
Mmmmm, chicken planks with malt vinegar.

RadicalModerate
11-13-2017, 11:07 AM
^^^ Thumbs up on the Malt Vinegar. This thread just reminded me of three other fish places that I think are defunct: Captain D's, Arthur Treacher's and British Fish and Chips. I thought of all them were better than Long John Silver's, but LJS was much closer to the house. And still open. btw: Boca Boca (in The Colonnade and now defunct) was home to The Best Fish Dinner I Ever Ate.

Easy180
11-13-2017, 11:07 AM
We go there all the time!

Wait a sec....What decade is this?

Martin
11-13-2017, 01:36 PM
i can't explain it but about every couple years i get a craving for ljs' chicken planks... and that gives me my usda recommended intake of salt and grease for the next couple years.

rte66man
11-13-2017, 04:37 PM
i can't explain it but about every couple years i get a craving for ljs' chicken planks... and that gives me my usda recommended intake of salt and grease for the next couple years.

+1

stick47
11-13-2017, 05:52 PM
They no longer have trans fats and the fish is not as fattening as the hush puppies. I think their cole slaw is about the best of any fast food style I've eaten.

John
11-13-2017, 05:53 PM

I'll usually go by on one Friday during Lent for nostalgia's sake...

Easy180
11-14-2017, 04:01 AM
They no longer have trans fats and the fish is not as fattening as the hush puppies. I think their cole slaw is about the best of any fast food style I've eaten.

Will agree with you on the slaw. Tore that up in my younger years.

oklip955
11-14-2017, 09:17 AM
Last time I was in one, I saw an employee take a bag of tarter sauce and try to open it with her teeth. She had her mouth all over the bag. (This was in the dinning area not the kitchen or behind the counter. I walked up to the counter and told the manager and then left. This was the Edmond store. I hadn't been in one for a few years. Won't be back.

traxx
11-14-2017, 11:37 AM
I'm the only one in my family that likes seafood, so if I'm out running errands or something, I would sometimes stop in for my fix.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I love seafood. I just wouldn't term LJS as such.

Jersey Boss
11-14-2017, 01:07 PM
^^^ Thumbs up on the Malt Vinegar. This thread just reminded me of three other fish places that I think are defunct: Captain D's, Arthur Treacher's and British Fish and Chips. I thought of all them were better than Long John Silver's, but LJS was much closer to the house. And still open. btw: Boca Boca (in The Colonnade and now defunct) was home to The Best Fish Dinner I Ever Ate.

Capt. D's has at least one place in Tulsa. It would be a good get if Norman could lure them back.

Uptowner
11-14-2017, 04:02 PM
LJS is good in my book. I stopped going years ago because their staff was just about the worst in the fast food game. Almost as bad as KFC, which now probably has passed the torch to Popeyes. I alllllmost stop in to the one on expressway when I'm in the area. Then I see ZERO customers and their employees smoking in the parking lots.

Then I ask myself is this really something I want to risk food poisoning on?? And I reconsider. I miss my captain D's on SW 74th & May.

ChargerAg
12-22-2017, 08:02 PM
Looks like they tore it down. Any idea if they are just rebuilding it or if it is going to be something new?

acumpton
12-26-2017, 04:26 AM
The county assessor's site still has LJS as the owners, so hopefully they will be rebuilding.

Just Retired
12-26-2017, 11:21 AM
McNelly's Public House has the best Fish and Chips in the OKC Metro.

Jersey Boss
12-26-2017, 03:14 PM
The county assessor's site still has LJS as the owners, so hopefully they will be rebuilding.

Didn't you say that the sign on the door said permanently closed?

ChargerAg
01-09-2018, 10:41 AM
Found this but it seems an odd locations. Queue the jokes about at least the new business being less greasy.

New Construction:

170 12th Ave. SE; VRE LJS 12, LLC; Take 5 Oil Change; $425,000; Ward 4

http://www.normantranscript.com/news/business/building-permits-for-may-through-may/article_12ba744c-7d69-5829-96d9-39ef55fba586.html

OUman
02-05-2018, 08:49 AM
^There's already one at 24th at W. Main. Never tried it though.