View Full Version : Have you noticed??

bucktalk
11-09-2017, 07:16 AM
KFOR has added a LOT more commercials to their newscasts. If you notice, during the weather portion, there is a break in-between the current forecast then the 7 day forecast. The weather portion didn't used to have a break but now it does. Last night after the first portion there were 7 commercials. Then once the 7 day forecast was given there were 5 more commercials. That means within that 3-4 minute weather segment they are squeezing in as much as 12 commercials!!! Good lord! I guess they're trying to pay for that new studio....

stile99
11-09-2017, 08:21 AM
The funny thing is they don't seem to have any more actual sponsors. You'll see the same commercial two or three times during the SAME break. Often they open and close a commercial break with the very same commercial.

bucktalk
11-09-2017, 08:33 AM
Right! I will say some of their 'commercials' are promo's of their station. I may need to start recording the news so I can zip past tooooo many commercials.

The funny thing is they don't seem to have any more actual sponsors. You'll see the same commercial two or three times during the SAME break. Often they open and close a commercial break with the very same commercial.

rezman
11-09-2017, 09:15 AM
I stopped watching KFOR a couple years ago. And they had a lot of commercials then. I do get tired of all of the news station's continuous self promotion. If they were that good, they wouldn't need all of that. Their work would speak for itself. It's all fluff and ratings.

SoonerDave
11-09-2017, 11:45 AM
It's only going to get worse. Local news is increasingly the bellcow for local station ad revenue. KFOR is just the first to make it worse. I have every confidence the others will follow suit.

FighttheGoodFight
11-09-2017, 11:52 AM
It's only going to get worse. Local news is increasingly the bellcow for local station ad revenue. KFOR is just the first to make it worse. I have every confidence the others will follow suit.

They are also all about to combine stations out of state to have minimum staff in each market as these big television companies buy out our local news stations.

Bunty
11-09-2017, 11:55 AM
Probably means more and more people will be going mainly for the web to get their news and weather. You may be annoyed by the ads on the page, but you can see the desired content at the same time.

Midtowner
11-11-2017, 09:00 PM
OETA. Make the switch.

bucktalk
11-12-2017, 08:42 AM
I can see how local TV stations are in a bind. More and more people have access to other forms of news who once relied on local news stations. TV stations scramble to create more revenue because some businesses use other sources with their advertising budgets. Less income for the stations creates the need for more commercials. Just look at the monumental changes of downsizing the Oklahoman as had to implement. I think local TV stations will go (or groan) through downsizing adjustments as well.

Scott5114
11-13-2017, 01:06 AM
Does KFOR still do the thing they used to do where they keep dropping teasers for a story right before every commercial break, and then when they finally cover it it's a superficial 30-second blurb on the topic right before they throw to sports? One of the reasons I gave up on them years ago. I don't have the patience for that.

Ginkasa
11-13-2017, 07:07 AM
Yep

SOONER8693
11-13-2017, 07:47 AM
Have basically quit watching local news, except to occasionally catch the weather forecast. The heavy Ogle influence has driven me away. It is all about them and what they deem important. Don't need it, don't want it. And, as mentioned above the enormous amount of ads and self-promotion.

stile99
11-13-2017, 08:09 AM
I wonder at some point if too much advertising starts to have a reverse effect. I know the catchy jingles are supposed to do exactly that, get caught in your head. But seeing the same commercial three or four times in the same break just annoys me. To the point where even if they were the only company, I would do without before buying their product/service. Despite the claim that I don't have to put up with any malarkey, I put up with it every morning, and whenever I have the need of an electrician, I can damn well tell you that I will NOT be calling "8, 8, 8...8, sparky!". If I need carpet, I will not be calling 800-588-2300, even though I lived in Michigan before they went nationwide, we got WGN (before THEY went nationwide, then the nationwide part became WGN America and was no longer WGN rebroadcast) and remember when the number was just 588-2300. The ads were designed to stick in my head, so when the need for an electrician or carpet arose, I would think of them. But they play so much, they now stick in my head as companies to never call for any reason because they're just too bloody annoying.

rezman
11-13-2017, 11:29 AM
^^^ What's funny, is at the end of the 800-588-2300 carpet commercial, where the little guy is just throwing down the flooring materials,..... that's pretty much how they do it. Used them once back around 2005. Will NEVER do it again.

stick47
11-13-2017, 05:54 PM
Surprised ppl still watch local news (unless when the weather is bad)