View Full Version : Pat Robertson threatens retaliation against conservative senators who oppose Miers

PUGalicious
10-13-2005, 05:57 AM
From pfaw.org (http://www.pfaw.org/pfaw/general/default.aspx?oid=19453#):

On today’s “700 Club” broadcast, the Rev. Pat Robertson responded to criticism from the Right regarding the Miers nomination and also offered a stern warning to those conservative senators who might be thinking of voting against her. Rev. Robertson suggested that people should look at who is supporting Miers before they doubt her conservative credentials. He named James Dobson, the Rev. Jerry Falwell, Richard Land of the Southern Baptist Convention, Jay Sekulow of the Robertson-founded American Center for Law and Justice, and himself as proof of support for Miers’ nomination from the Right.

Robertson concluded by noting: “These so-called movement conservatives don’t have much of a following, the ones that I’m aware of. And you just marvel, these are the senators, some of them who voted to confirm the general counsel of the ACLU to the Supreme Court, and she was voted in almost unanimously. And you say, ‘now they’re going to turn against a Christian who is a conservative picked by a conservative President and they’re going to vote against her for confirmation?’ Not on your sweet life, if they want to stay in office.”

> Watch the video (http://media.pfaw.org/video/pfaw/VideoDisplay.asp?headline=The%20700%20Club&caption=Pat%20Robertson%20comments%20on%20Miers%20 nomination%20and%20warned%20conservative%20senator s&videofile=10-12-05-700Club-Miersnom)

Is it possible that a "Christian who is a conservative picked by a conservative President" may still, in fact, be underqualified for the post of the Supreme Court? Is it possible that this president, in his repeated appointment of unqualified cronies to important posts, may have given people — even conservatives — reason to be wary in "trusting" him?

It is outrageous for Pat Robertson, a religious leader whose own credibility and sanity were called into question after his call for the assassination of another country's head of state, to threaten conservative senators who are fulfilling their constitutional obligation of advise and consent. You've lost your moral authority, Mr. Robertson.

Intrepid
10-13-2005, 06:50 AM
From pfaw.org (http://www.pfaw.org/pfaw/general/default.aspx?oid=19453#):

Is it possible that a "Christian who is a conservative picked by a conservative President" may still, in fact, be underqualified for the post of the Supreme Court? Is it possible that this president, in his repeated appointment of unqualified cronies to important posts, may have given people — even conservatives — reason to be wary in "trusting" him?

It is outrageous for Pat Robertson, a religious leader whose own credibility and sanity were called into question after his call for the assassination of another country's head of state, to threaten conservative senators who are fulfilling their constitutional obligation of advise and consent. You've lost your moral authority, Mr. Robertson.

I'm sure that all of this has been taken out of context, somewhat like his call for the assasination of the Brazlian president.

:boff:

Patrick
10-14-2005, 03:29 PM
I'm surprised he's taking the side of the Democrats hear and asking the conservative leaders to comply with the president's pick! Maybe Pat isn't as right-winged as I thought. Seems to me like he'd be joining those on the far right to oppose Miers' nomination.