View Full Version : Bemoaning the loss of 24 hours stores.

whorton
11-05-2017, 06:11 PM
I noticed on the Wal-Mart thread, one of the last topics discussed was the semi abrupt discontinuation of 24 hour stores. I guess I noticed about the same time everyone else did, and have the same level of frustration. But looking around, anyone else notice that the bevy of CVS/Walgreens that opened about 10 years ago, also as 24 hour entities, have amazingly reduced service hours. (with the exception of the occasional store near a hospital, always on the other side of town!)

Thank goodness we have On Cue and other new super C-stores to offer some basic goods and services. Such an improvement from the circa 1975-79 U-Totems with their closed storefronts and later rebranded Circle K stores.

Oklahoma city wants to act like a big city town, but still remains mired in small town psychology. We are right back to the 1970's "Roll up the sidewalks at sundown" mentality.

Roger S
11-05-2017, 06:15 PM
Crest and Winco are still 24 hour operations.

stile99
11-05-2017, 06:48 PM
Can't say I've seen this alleged death of 24 hour stores. While some may have reduced their hours, there are still so, so many around.

And I'm in the Mustang/Yukon area. If I can chuck a rock and hit a 24 hour store, I have to believe OKC proper is infested with them. Since the example of Walmart was given, I feel obliged to point out the list of their stores and hours is easily accessed at walmart.com. Mustang's is open 24 hours. Yukon's is (but not the neighborhood market). I mean, you want to throw out the roll up the sidewalks accusation, El Reno, Newcastle (NEWCASTLE!!!), Guthrie. All 24 hours.

Walgreen's was also listed. Again, easily checked, and their website even lets you filter out everything but. 10 stores open 24 hours in the OKC metro. CVS also lets you filter. With them, you might have a rant, the website lists 4 stores in the OKC metro area when filtering via open 24 hours.

If you want to spew OKC hate, you're going to have to try a lot harder. Or better yet, just don't.

whorton
11-05-2017, 06:50 PM
Not all Crest stores are 24 hour.

stile99
11-05-2017, 07:03 PM
Not all Crest stores are 24 hour.

What game are you playing here? And why?

Nevermind. Say hello to the twit filter.

http://www.crestfoodsok.com/default.aspx

"OPEN 24 HOURS A DAY, 7 DAYS A WEEK, 365 DAYS A YEAR"

Literally front and center.

whorton
11-05-2017, 07:10 PM
Stile99, Regarding your comment, Even though the internet shows most CVS stores to be 24 hour when in fact they are NOT. I know this for a fact as I am an RN and recently had to call around to verify a patient's prescriptions upon admission to a hospital. Doing an Internet search for 24 hour CVS stores returned results that most all stores in the OKC area were 24 hours. (this was approximately 00:30) and call after call revealed that the stores were NOT 24 hour. I was finally able to find a single 24 hour location in the greater OKC area.

The next time you are out and about, take a closer look at the Walgreens and CVS stores and you will notice most all of the 24 hour signs have disappeared. Face it, the market was oversaturated with pharmacies and still is, even with reduced hours. The darn things were overbuilt like weed and most should not have been so overbuilt but I digress.

I do not hate OKC, nor do I "Spew OKC hate" and resent your implication that I do. I am guessing that I don't have to enlighten you as to the total size of the greater OKC area. A total of four 24 hour Walgreens in a 760 mile square are does not make for convenient locations for most customers. In the interim, you might want to take a ride around town after midnight sometime and see how many 24 hour locations of anything you can find, save C-Stores.

BBatesokc
11-06-2017, 05:10 AM
The Walmart less than a mile from my house is 24-hours. I often do my shopping either really late or really early.

jn1780
11-06-2017, 07:36 AM
Businesses are constantly reevaluating demand and the amount of employees they actually have to keep a store going all night long for a given geographical area within a city.

I wouldn't really contribute the number 24 hour stores to the attitude of the city. If businesses are not getting the profit they want from staying open all night long their not going to do it. These decisions probably came from corporate and not isolated to OKC.

Magic's Immune System
11-06-2017, 08:02 AM
Businesses are constantly reevaluating demand and the amount of employees they actually have to keep a store going all night long for a given geographical area within a city.

I wouldn't really contribute the number 24 hour stores to the attitude of the city. If businesses are not getting the profit they want from staying open all night long their not going to do it. These decisions probably came from corporate and not isolated to OKC.

Correct. Also it is very hard to find decent employees that want to work overnight. Just because a few people find it convenient for them, it often makes no sense to do so.

whorton
11-07-2017, 10:24 PM
Magic's immune system:

"Just because a few people find it convenient for them, it often makes no sense to do so."

I need to move! :mad:

Plutonic Panda
11-08-2017, 01:10 AM
Funny enough, I’ve noticed in Los Angeles a lot of things that were 24 hours in OKC arent here and I was shocked. There are tons of diners and restaurants that are 24/7, but things like McDonalds and Walmarts(if you can find one) aren’t. Some of the local stores here are and some aren’t. But a surprisingly large number of the stores are NOT 24 hours and the explanation given to me was crime.

rezman
11-08-2017, 05:46 AM
A lot of it has to do with the income vs overhead during those overnight hours. That combined with dealing with loss
prevention, it’s just not profitable for many stores to stay open 24 hours any more.

Pete
11-08-2017, 06:11 AM
^
Yes, was just going to say that theft in off hours is usually a big problem.

FighttheGoodFight
11-08-2017, 07:51 AM
This is the weirdest thread I have been to in a while.

MagzOK
11-14-2017, 09:14 PM
Gramma always said, "nothing good happens after midnight."