View Full Version : Gogi Go

Pages : [1] 2

Pete
10-30-2017, 04:00 PM
Making good progress at The Edge.

https://www.facebook.com/gogigookc/

http://newsok.com/article/5550213

http://okgazette.com/2017/06/21/a-new-fast-casual-restaurant-reimagines-korean-food/

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/gogigo103017.jpg

onthestrip
10-31-2017, 08:19 AM
This has taken a long time to get finished out.

In related news, apparently Organic Squeeze wont be reopening in The Edge.

Pete
10-31-2017, 08:19 AM
This has taken a long time to get finished out.

In related news, apparently Organic Squeeze wont be reopening in The Edge.

That is correct about Organic Squeeze.

pop312
10-31-2017, 02:44 PM
I’ve only been working on it for four weeks ������

Pete
10-31-2017, 02:46 PM
I’ve only been working on it for four weeks ������

Quit slacking!!

jbkrems
10-31-2017, 09:41 PM
What kind of restaurant or place is Gogi Go?

Pete
11-01-2017, 05:10 AM
What kind of restaurant or place is Gogi Go?

Korean BBQ

pop312
12-14-2017, 05:18 PM

a couple of progress pics of the kitchen and serving line...we are in the final push to completion..

pop312
12-14-2017, 06:28 PM

..but perhaps more importantly :D

Pete
12-15-2017, 06:20 AM
Looks awesome!

Can't wait to try it out.

Andon
12-15-2017, 11:08 AM

a couple of progress pics of the kitchen and serving line...we are in the final push to completion..
Build-out looks great as per usual, Larry.

Pete
01-09-2018, 10:02 AM
From https://www.facebook.com/popmod:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/gogigo010918.jpg

sooner88
01-09-2018, 11:55 AM
They're having a soft opening today from 11:00 - 3:00 open to the public and we stopped by for lunch around 11:30. It wasn't too crowded when we got there, but the place was packed by noon. I went with the spicy chicken bowl ($11) at the recommendation of one of the owners with kimchi fried rice (+$2) and it did not disappoint. The chicken had a nice kick to it and the other ingredients (pickled daikon, soft boiled egg, peppers and a few other things) all mixed well with the rice. The portions are huge so come hungry, but I will be back to try something else soon.

Pete
01-09-2018, 12:11 PM
From their FB page:

https://scontent-dft4-3.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/26195349_851187468402612_1702066660754562606_n.jpg ?oh=3044249a25155b7d3f8db575e85f5e4b&oe=5AEAADC6

Pete
01-09-2018, 12:24 PM
Looks like their official opening is this Friday.

Looks really interesting... I love spicy and rice and kimchi.

sooner88
01-09-2018, 12:32 PM
Looks like their official opening is this Friday.

Looks really interesting... I love spicy and rice and kimchi.

They warned that the chicken was really really spicy, but it was not too crazy. I imagine they can spice it up if you want them too.

no1cub17
01-09-2018, 04:26 PM
We made it there 12:30 or so. Nice sized crowd but we didn't have to wait to order. I got a spicy pork bowl and my wife got tofu. Both were excellent. Not at spicy as anticipated but they have an extra hot sauce you can ask for on the side which is quite good. Yet another positive addition to OKC's dining scene!

pop312
01-09-2018, 05:20 PM
it has been a treat and an honor to work with John Lee and Chef Kevin Lee on building out this project..it is a great addition to downtown/midtown.

jbkrems
01-09-2018, 08:47 PM
Those who have been here, can you describe the Gogi sauce? Is the sauce spicy itself?

OkieBerto
01-11-2018, 02:06 PM
Those who have been here, can you describe the Gogi sauce? Is the sauce spicy itself?

The sauce is slightly spicy, but no where near mouth burning spicy. They got HOTNESS sauce, I bet that is pretty hot! This is going to be a great option for a lot of people. Super delicious, super fast, and if you don't get a ton of toppings, not too expensive. The Sous Vide egg is definitely worth the extra dollar!

Pete
01-11-2018, 02:14 PM
I had the Spicy Chicken bowl last night and as I came down the line the chef asked "Are you sure? It's very spicy."

My serving wasn't spicy at all.

The organish sauce they put over the top doesn't have a lot of flavor; a bit like mayo.

My bowl was good and large but with 12% tip (they do that thing I hate where they spin around the point of sale device prompting for tip and a signature) and only water to drink my total was close to $14. Would prefer a smaller portion and lesser price.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/gogigo101018.jpg

sooner88
01-11-2018, 03:35 PM
I had the Spicy Chicken bowl last night and as I came down the line the chef asked "Are you sure? It's very spicy."

My serving wasn't spicy at all.

The organish sauce they put over the top doesn't have a lot of flavor; a bit like mayo.

My bowl was good and large but with 12% tip (they do that thing I hate where they spin around the point of sale device prompting for tip and a signature) and only water to drink my total was close to $14. Would prefer a smaller portion and lesser price.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/gogigo101018.jpg

Our comments were the same. Food was good, but way too much for lunch and I'm by no means a light eater.

Pete
01-12-2018, 07:54 AM
Reminder that Gogi Go has their official opening today.

Thomas Vu
01-12-2018, 12:15 PM
I stopped by and got the pork bowl, my friend got the chicken bowl.

The chicken bowl I saw a few bits of fusion: some avocado, fresh jalapenos, and a whole habenero pepper. Once all the stuff is mixed together though it takes the edge off. Could be spicy of eaten separately?
Mine just had the mayo and I think fried onions?

Pork bowl was good. A bit too fatty for me, but not enough to ruin it. I agree with everybody else, big portions maybe even too big? Atmosphere is brighter/more upbeat than any other place I've been to where you could get bibimbap.

sooner88
01-12-2018, 12:51 PM
I stopped by and got the pork bowl, my friend got the chicken bowl.

The chicken bowl I saw a few bits of fusion: some avocado, fresh jalapenos, and a whole habenero pepper. Once all the stuff is mixed together though it takes the edge off. Could be spicy of eaten separately?
Mine just had the mayo and I think fried onions?

Pork bowl was good. A bit too fatty for me, but not enough to ruin it. I agree with everybody else, big portions maybe even too big? Atmosphere is brighter/more upbeat than any other place I've been to where you could get bibimbap.

I bet they'll figure the portions out, they really are just too big for one person for lunch (granted I ate pretty much my entire bowl).

Thomas Vu
01-12-2018, 02:12 PM
I bet they'll figure the portions out, they really are just too big for one person for lunch (granted I ate pretty much my entire bowl).

I could have if I wanted to fall asleep at my desk after lunch.

soonerguru
01-13-2018, 12:22 AM
I went today and it was fantastic! Great vibe to the place. The designer / builder Larry Dean Pickering did a marvelous job. With my lunch partner I was able to try both the chicken and the spicy pork. Both were very good: the pork is sauteed in a spicy housemade sauce; the chicken is grilled (with beautiful grill marks and a wonderful charred flavor). The ingredients were super fresh and delicious with a great melange of Korean flavors: sweet, salty, tangy, and sour. The atmosphere was energetic and very inviting. Clearly the chef knows what he is doing in the kitchen but I was equally impressed by his management of the operations. It was humming efficiently and seemed like it had been open for a long time.

Gogi Go seems like something that could be a fantastic franchise in urban settings. It's like a Korean Chipotle with way better food and a nicer atmosphere.

DoctorTaco
01-16-2018, 12:05 PM
I went today and it was fantastic! Great vibe to the place. The designer / builder Larry Dean Pickering did a marvelous job. With my lunch partner I was able to try both the chicken and the spicy pork. Both were very good: the pork is sauteed in a spicy housemade sauce; the chicken is grilled (with beautiful grill marks and a wonderful charred flavor). The ingredients were super fresh and delicious with a great melange of Korean flavors: sweet, salty, tangy, and sour. The atmosphere was energetic and very inviting. Clearly the chef knows what he is doing in the kitchen but I was equally impressed by his management of the operations. It was humming efficiently and seemed like it had been open for a long time.

Gogi Go seems like something that could be a fantastic franchise in urban settings. It's like a Korean Chipotle with way better food and a nicer atmosphere.

I went today and I agree with all of the above. Very yummy food and very efficient, friendly operation. They were pretty busy too which is a good sign.

But, and not to complain, I also agree with an earlier post who said the portions are very large. They are going to have to get a handle on their portion control or else they are gonna lose their shirts. Granted, the bowl wasn't cheap (I think mine ended up at $13 after I made some customization to an $11 base) but I would have been satisfied with 2/3 as much food.

Roger S
01-16-2018, 12:17 PM
I keep seeing people comment that the portions are too large. Is there not an option to take leftovers?

catch22
01-16-2018, 01:23 PM
I keep seeing people comment that the portions are too large. Is there not an option to take leftovers?

I hate when restaurants get that kind of feedback. I'm a very slim person with a high metabolism who somehow has several auxiliary stomachs. So, I have come to really appreciate restaurants with generous portions. Just grab a to-go box if you can't eat it all!

Pete
01-16-2018, 01:26 PM
The issue isn't just the big portions, it's that there are also no real lesser cost options.

So you end up paying quite a bit of money (about $13 just for a bowl and no drink) for more food than almost anyone could or should eat.

The best solution would be to split with a friend.

Roger S
01-16-2018, 01:32 PM
The issue isn't just the big portions, it's that there are also no real lesser cost options.

So you end up paying quite a bit of money (about $13 just for a bowl and no drink) for more food than almost anyone could or should eat.

The best solution would be to split with a friend.

Or make two/three meals of it.... I can sympathize with wanting lesser cost options, which is a better way of saying it in my opinion, but too much food I'm never going to complain about.

DoctorTaco
01-16-2018, 01:43 PM
Or make two/three meals of it.... I can sympathize with wanting lesser cost options, which is a better way of saying it in my opinion, but too much food I'm never going to complain about.

I WAS NOT complaining. I ate all my bowl, even though, as Pete says, no human should eat that much in one sitting. It was very good and I lack willpower. What do you want from me?

No, my concern was more for the restaurateur. Even at $13/bowl I am guessing he is not making money on that bowl, with how much product was in there. Or if so his margins are very slight.

Thomas Vu
01-16-2018, 01:52 PM
I think there are some elements that don't reheat well. In addition--and this is niche to me--the amount leftover wouldn't make another meal.

plex
01-20-2018, 09:37 AM
I am sure if they publish the calories of their signature bowls, a lot of these hipster-like customers will be scared away.

pop312
01-25-2018, 07:58 AM
Thank you soonerguru

Uptowner
01-25-2018, 05:00 PM
I hate when restaurants get that kind of feedback. I'm a very slim person with a high metabolism who somehow has several auxiliary stomachs. So, I have come to really appreciate restaurants with generous portions. Just grab a to-go box if you can't eat it all!

The bowls are already high quality paper. Just snap a lid on and it’s a to-go, really good design. That said I’ve been here 3 times and don’t have a problem with the portions. It’s not bimbimbap so I don’t stir and just leave at least half the rice behind. On one lunch occasion I split a bowl and get extra dumplings.

sooner88
01-25-2018, 10:53 PM
The bowls are already high quality paper. Just snap a lid on and it’s a to-go, really good design. That said I’ve been here 3 times and don’t have a problem with the portions. It’s not bimbimbap so I don’t stir and just leave at least half the rice behind. On one lunch occasion I split a bowl and get extra dumplings.

Like we've all said ... the worst thing anyone can complain about is being served too much food. My only issue is that, without reading this site first, 1 bowl is entirely too much food for one person for lunch. I think that the mgmt. is very social media savvy so i believe there will be a "small" size soon.

My gf works across the street, and will be a frequent visitor as this is a perfect need for the neighborhood, but 1 lb of food for ~$13-15 is too much... regardless of size. No restaurant needs to portion their servings with the idea of leftovers.

I don't even work nearby for this to be my go-to spot, just the feedback from my lawyer friends nearby... They have sent their entire firm here... and will continue to come. A normal size male will walk out of there uncomfortably stuffed. One simple change (aside from the overly smoky room (which is surprising bc i assumed the vent hood was stronger than necessary)) this place will kill. Larry's design is 100% and the Kanaly mural makes it so unique.

This concept is rampant in Europe and I'm jealous i didn't bring it here before they did.

soonerguru
01-31-2018, 11:19 PM
Leftovers don't really work for lunch. Most people have to go back to work.

Roger S
02-01-2018, 07:05 AM
Leftovers don't really work for lunch. Most people have to go back to work.

Every office I've ever worked in had a break room with a refrigerator for people that brown bag it. Some of us that work also work long hours and leftovers at lunch become dinner at our desk.

mtkraft3
02-01-2018, 08:54 AM
Why do people complain about the price, when in this day and age you can look up prices before you go. Most ridiculous thing people complain or review upon, when you control how much your spending or see how much you are before you do it. The value is in the bowl. You pay for quality. Panda Express is more reasonable if you want cheap.

soonerguru
02-05-2018, 08:04 PM
Every office I've ever worked in had a break room with a refrigerator for people that brown bag it. Some of us that work also work long hours and leftovers at lunch become dinner at our desk.

Allow me to explain a little further. I'm out of the office during the day seeing clients. I really don't want to leave leftover Korean food in my car all day. And there are other people who may not have a break-room fridge where they work. Capisce?

Roger S
02-06-2018, 06:38 AM
Allow me to explain a little further. I'm out of the office during the day seeing clients. I really don't want to leave leftover Korean food in my car all day. And there are other people who may not have a break-room fridge where they work. Capisce?

So it's not about most of the people you mentioned above... It's about you... Ok... Got ya!

TheirTheir
02-07-2018, 09:14 AM
Ate here yesterday for the first time and would like to start off by saying that I thought it was very delicious, however, I agree with several of the complaints. I would also add that they have a ventilation problem. The vent hood off the flat top is not powerful enough, leaving much of the smoke to linger into the dining area. I also witnessed that several people walking by on the sidewalk had to walk away from the building to avoid the smoke that actually had been vented. It vents directly onto the sidewalk due to not being able to vent to the roof.

BridgeBurner
02-12-2018, 12:17 PM
Went there on Saturday and I see why there was so much hype. I got the bulgogi bowl with the kimchi fried rice and the soft boiled egg and it was incredible.
Definitely agree with people talking about the portion sizes, I'm a fairly big guy and I have at LEAST one full meal of leftovers. That being said, I did not mean that as a complaint, that was a ton of really good food for $12 or $14.
I liked how the auto-populated tip options at checkout were lowered because it was a order at the counter place, I don't think I have ever seen 5% as an option before.
Honestly my only complaint was the blaring K-Pop music which was so loud I couldn't hear the person sitting across from me, I think if OSHA walked in they would make the employees wear ear protection haha.

LocoAko
04-01-2018, 07:35 PM
I'm late to the party, but I am in love with this place. The food is so, so good. They have what I'd consider to be the most delicious tofu that I've ever had (of course it's deep fried, so that probably helps). I also really appreciate that they ask if I'm vegetarian and have let me know about various ingredients in different menu items and ask if I'm okay with them. Employees are always super friendly, too. As others have noted, the only complaint I have is the loudness of the music, which makes it difficult to hear the employees while constructing your order. Definitely added to the main rotation for us.

Pete
04-16-2019, 05:48 AM
Will be opening a 2nd location in the Edmond Railyard.

bucktalk
04-16-2019, 12:57 PM
Will be opening a 2nd location in the Edmond Railyard.

***Happy dance!!***

ScottCole1212
04-18-2019, 12:42 AM
Great location I have a client opening a concept there

Bits_Of_Real_Panther
05-04-2023, 12:12 PM
Xian noodle shop now occupies the midtown space

Not sure how long it's been there

citywokchinesefood
05-04-2023, 01:47 PM
Xian noodle shop now occupies the midtown space

Not sure how long it's been there

They have been there for a few weeks. They have ownership of both former Gogi Go locations.

baralheia
05-04-2023, 05:16 PM
Man I miss Gogi Go. I didn't get by there anywhere near as often as I would have liked but I always enjoyed the food.

jompster
05-05-2023, 12:25 PM
Man I miss Gogi Go. I didn't get by there anywhere near as often as I would have liked but I always enjoyed the food.

We usually stopped in every other Tuesday and man I miss it. :(

Boop
05-07-2023, 02:03 PM
I went there last night and got the spicy chicken bowl and the chef said "Are you sure you want the spicy chicken bowl? It is really spicy" I told the chef to shut up and stop worrying about it and then when I left to grab my seat, I overheard the chef telling another customer the same thing and I went to him and told him to stop telling every customer and stop worrying about it and cook! The chef is a nutcase for asking every customer "Are you sure you want it? It is really spicy"

Pete
05-07-2023, 02:10 PM
I went there last night and got the spicy chicken bowl and the chef said "Are you sure you want the spicy chicken bowl? It is really spicy" I told the chef to shut up and stop worrying about it and then when I left to grab my seat, I overheard the chef telling another customer the same thing and I went to him and told him to stop telling every customer and stop worrying about it and cook! The chef is a nutcase for asking every customer "Are you sure you want it? It is really spicy"

They have probably had people complain that it was too spicy, so they just want to make sure.

I get that question almost every time I order anything spicy anywhere.

Roger S
05-08-2023, 06:47 AM
I've gotten that question before too and not just at Asian restaurarants... Smokey Rays will warn you about their pulled pork sandwich. Which does pack a pretty decent amount of heat compared to most pulled pork you will be served.

I also made the mistake of saying "You can't make it too hot." at a Thai restaurant once..... I ate it but they almost proved me wrong.

Urbanized
05-08-2023, 07:06 AM
Around 30 years ago I was on a date at the Bricktown Brewery, ordered hot wings. The waiter suggested I didn’t want hot because it was, well, really hot. My twenty something manhood felt insulted (in front of a date, no less), so I said no, I ordered hot, I want hot. He had the nerve to repeat himself, as if I didn’t know what I was asking for.

Completely insulted at this point, I doubled down (admittedly like a total douche, in retrospect) and said “I’ll tell you what…your tip will be DIRECTLY PROPORTIONATE to how hot those wings are.” He said “fine” and walked away…wait…was that a glint of satisfaction I saw in his eyes as he turned to walk to the kitchen?!

When he came back with our order, he placed a bowl in front of me, containing my order of wings. Floating in what seemed to be about a half pint of Tobasco sauce. ONLY Tobasco. Checkmate. I ate every damned wing, flavorless but for the overwhelming amount of Tobasco. Never complained, as was only fair and correct.

I learned a lot about life that day. Also on the next day.

sooner88
05-08-2023, 07:29 AM
I've gotten that question before too and not just at Asian restaurarants... Smokey Rays will warn you about their pulled pork sandwich. Which does pack a pretty decent amount of heat compared to most pulled pork you will be served.

I also made the mistake of saying "You can't make it too hot." at a Thai restaurant once..... I ate it but they almost proved me wrong.

I get the same question almost every time I order spicy food, especially at Thai restaurants. The only time I really should have heeded the warning was at Chae when it was on 23rd. I asked for them to make it spicy, and the waitress replied "the cooks love to make it spicy, so they'll take care of you". I then proceeded to have the spiciest food I've ever eaten. When I asked her what they used to make it spicy, she said they use a combination of peppers and pure capsaicin extract. It was the first and only time I've not been able to finish a meal due to the heat... it was unbearable.

Pete
05-08-2023, 07:41 AM
There is nothing too spicy for me, except...

At an authentic Thai restaurant in L.A. I got talked down to a 7/10 and it was still the hottest dish I've ever had and I couldn't even finish it.

king183
05-08-2023, 07:57 AM
There is nothing too spicy for me, except...

At an authentic Thai restaurant in L.A. I got talked down to a 7/10 and it was still the hottest dish I've ever had and I couldn't even finish it.

My brother lives in LA and had almost the exact same experience. There is nothing too spicy for him. He went to a Thai restaurant and demanded their spiciest level, explaining he didn’t want “American spicy.” They tried to talk him down and even the chef came out to make sure he was sane. I don’t know if he finished it, but he admitted it was the first time ever that he truly felt the like it was too much, face turned red and body sweating. The chef ended up giving him a few of their spices to take home.