View Full Version : Investment Apps?

bucktalk
10-26-2017, 08:49 AM
Can anyone recommended a user friendly stock investment app that has proven to be spot on? I was almost ready to use 'Stash' but the reviews are not so encouraging.
Any recommendations?
Thanks.

Thomas Vu
10-26-2017, 09:16 AM
Is robinhood not cool anymore?

T. Jamison
10-26-2017, 09:35 AM
I have never used any of them so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I've heard Betterment is really good. I believe they only offer index funds, but that is a sound investment strategy if you aren't interested in spending a significant amount of time trying to beat the market. They have really low fees, and they also give general financial planning advice based on where you are in life, and what your finances look like.

bucktalk
10-26-2017, 10:07 AM
I appreciate your input. I am a complete novice to self investing but want to learn.
Thanks.

I have never used any of them so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I've heard Betterment is really good. I believe they only offer index funds, but that is a sound investment strategy if you aren't interested in spending a significant amount of time trying to beat the market. They have really low fees, and they also give general financial planning advice based on where you are in life, and what your finances look like.

TheSteveHunt
08-16-2018, 06:10 AM
robinhood is amazing...bought a bunch of $99 wmt calls tue for FREE.. looking good

chuck5815
08-16-2018, 07:12 AM
i've really enjoyed trading on robinhood. the ability to basically trade for free gives you a lot of flexibility to whip your capital around and take advantage of the recent volatility.

mugofbeer
08-16-2018, 12:27 PM
No single app is going to be spot on. I know sites such as Fidelity and Schwab have excellent learning modules for beginners. Unfortunately, their rep quality is a fraction of what it should be. Schwab traders have always been more trading saavy.
In the investment world, nothing works every time.

mkjeeves
08-16-2018, 12:56 PM
I've been using Schwab for trades and their online information for research for a few decades. I do also have Future Advisor and Personal Capitol web accounts that monitor and make recommendations. I read those, learn what they are recommending, do other research and then do what I think is best. Everything is a tool.

TheSteveHunt
08-17-2018, 06:34 AM
I bought some way out of the money Walmart calls Tuesday and they did pretty good yesterday. Pretty much the only reason I did it is that option trading is now free on Robin Hood. Cannot beat that14858

TheSteveHunt
08-17-2018, 06:36 AM
If you are talking about getting information for good stocks, I use Dean bakers beat the Press blog.

TheSteveHunt
08-17-2018, 08:29 AM
Finviz.com obviously is the best tool there is for Smart Guys. There is an app, stock screener pro that I believe is associated with them. At the very least it scrapes data from the site and it is incredibly useful. You can pay $25 one time and get an unbelievable amount of screening tools.

mugofbeer
08-18-2018, 09:22 PM
Finviz.com obviously is the best tool there is for Smart Guys.

Take THIS with a grain of salt.

pw405
08-19-2018, 07:35 AM
If you're new to the market, I really like Cramer's advice - don't buy individual stocks until you've got $10,000 in a low cost ETF. An ETF, or exchange traded fund, is an investment product that is a collection of stocks that can be bought or sold during market hours. Companies such as Vanguard and Wisdom Tree offer ETFs. They make money by charging a small fee.

Vanguard's VTI is an ETF that buys the entire stock market. VYM is an ETF that seeks to buy larger stable companies that pay higher than the average dividend yield and have a reliable track record of paying dividends. VOO is Vanguard's ETF that seeks to match the S&P 500 index. All are good options, low cost.

I buy stocks on Etrade, but only because it was where I first started 10 years ago. Many good options out there. Robinhood seems to be getting quite a bit of attention. Acorns is another app I've seen advertised. Acorns rounds up all your purchases to the nearest whole dollar and then invests the change. (ie, buy lunch for $7.25, then $0.75 is put in your brokerage account, $8 is withdrawn from your bank).

Wherever you invest, make sure they offer a "DRIP" - Dividend Re Investment Program. I know Etrade has this, but it allows you to take your dividends and automatically buy more stock without charging a commission.

TheSteveHunt
08-20-2018, 12:21 PM
Sorry if you missed my 1500% return in 3 days WMT call tip, guys. Thought I was being clear about it...

pw405
08-20-2018, 06:10 PM
Sorry if you missed my 1500% return in 3 days WMT call tip, guys. Thought I was being clear about it...

I'll put my entire net worth on your next tip.

TheSteveHunt
08-21-2018, 06:28 AM
Just get on robinhood for the options.... this is pretty much a once in a lifetime deal...

soonermike81
08-21-2018, 09:58 AM
Once in a lifetime deal? Can you tell me more about RH?

TheSteveHunt
08-21-2018, 10:04 AM
Once in a lifetime deal? Can you tell me more about RH?

Robinhood is a trading platform, another silicon valley VC funded startup trying to, as the cliche goes "disrupt!" the industry.
They offer free trading. Period...that was cool for the first yr or so, but, recently they've added option trading..which is HUGE.
Trading options is very expensive... When I moved to rh, I had a 60% return in the past yr on options, it would have been well
over 100%+ if not for fees... but there are no fees on RH... they are attempting to make money other ways, which they will not...
this'll only last a few yrs, but for now, you'd be crazy not to take advantage.

soonermike81
08-21-2018, 10:22 AM
Robinhood is a trading platform, another silicon valley VC funded startup trying to, as the cliche goes "disrupt!" the industry.
They offer free trading. Period...that was cool for the first yr or so, but, recently they've added option trading..which is HUGE.
Trading options is very expensive... When I moved to rh, I had a 60% return in the past yr on options, it would have been well
over 100%+ if not for fees... but there are no fees on RH... they are attempting to make money other ways, which they will not...
this'll only last a few yrs, but for now, you'd be crazy not to take advantage.

So sounds like you recognize the company model isn’t sustainable in the long run? Does that not worry you? People are signing up in droves for “free stock” and “zero commission trades.” But once a ton of high net worth people pull out their money, what happens?

TheSteveHunt
08-21-2018, 11:03 AM
So sounds like you recognize the company model isn’t sustainable in the long run? Does that not worry you? People are signing up in droves for “free stock” and “zero commission trades.” But once a ton of high net worth people pull out their money, what happens?

people pull their money out..no big deal it isn't a stock or a bank, it is a trading platform. I will use it for a yr or 2 and when I sense there is trouble, I'll either exit or
see what the rules are for how my money is dealt with on a collapse..either way, I dont keep a ton of my $$$ in it, I cash out when I hit a big one...

mugofbeer
08-21-2018, 11:13 PM
If a restaurant isn't making money on the burger, they have to make it on the fries - otherwise, they don't stay open. Along with add revenue and sales of ancillary products, I suspect you may not get quite as good a fill on your order at RH as you might elsewhere which might take the place of the commission. In any case, no commission trading may be more common. J P Morgan - Chase announced today commission free trades that can either be for a limited time or permanent if you deposit, l think, over $100k - plus having immediate access to other Chase accounts you might have. I am happy where l am and usually get fills decently better than the bid/ask on my options. its a changing fee environment in the brokerage biz.

TheSteveHunt
08-22-2018, 06:47 AM
I want to get some VC to start a scratch 'n win option game business... scratch off and you get a out-of-the money CMG call or something like that. Fun fun fun!

mugofbeer
08-22-2018, 10:54 AM
There is something called the SEC and standard requirements for options trading before someone can hold them. There are no certificates or other tangible representations of option contracts so you can't do this. Try again.

TheSteveHunt
08-22-2018, 11:07 AM
We will get enough VC money that we can be disrupters, like Bird Co.!!!!! And plus, the SEC has what, 2 employees left? I know one named John and he wears his pants up to his ears practically, a total nerd!!!

TheSteveHunt
08-22-2018, 11:29 AM
But seriously, I need to find a local SQL whiz to help me with some option trading algorithim stuff.. I have a guy at MIT I did some stuff with for daily fantasy baseball, but I'd like someone local for this...anyone know anyone?

jedicurt
08-22-2018, 11:59 AM
Select name From * where SQLSkills = 'Advanced' and exists (select tradingdblocation from *)

TheSteveHunt
08-22-2018, 01:29 PM
Select name From * where SQLSkills = 'Advanced' and exists (select tradingdblocation from *)

good times.. I'll msg when I get this going.

jerrywall
08-23-2018, 07:44 AM

The lower cases did break me a bit. ;)

TheSteveHunt
08-23-2018, 08:47 AM
Wow Robinhood has started something here... just got this email14865

Martin
08-23-2018, 08:56 AM

Incorrect syntax near '*'

: )

soonermike81
08-23-2018, 10:27 AM
Been having too many friends/family trying to get me signed up on Robin Hood. “We’ll both get free stock! Zero commission trades!” Lol. These are people that have absolutely no idea about the risks of stock trading bc they’ve never done it before. Seems too similar to all the other MLM schemes for my comfort. Luring people in with all this hype about once in a lifetime opportunities, blah blah blah. But never telling people that they can lose their asses. I’ll stick with my broker for now.

okatty
08-23-2018, 10:38 AM
^+1 on that soonermike (actually +about 100).

soonermike81
08-23-2018, 10:47 AM
Right?! I’m thinking of a good buddy who makes very good money doing what he does but has very little experience investing in the market. But I get hit up like this, “Join Robinhood and we'll both get a stock like Apple, Ford, or Sprint for free. Make sure you use my link.” This was almost a year ago probably. Since then, I’ve had a couple relatives hit me up with the exact same line! So, I sign up and RH is going to give me some free AAPL?? One of them is a family member that has ZERO experience investing from what I know. Seems very irresponsible, not just on the consumers’ part but on RH as well. Just seems very sleazy, IMO.

TheSteveHunt
08-23-2018, 01:33 PM
I'm not sharing my "free stock" link with people here so they won't think I'm telling them to use it
for that reason. Just talking about free option sharing because most people who are not very bright
(lost ogle fans etc...) won't bother checking it out when they hear "free option trading" ... but those who
do understand such things would be crazy not to at least check it out...unless they are super wealthy...

okatty
08-23-2018, 02:03 PM
I won't spend a lot of time debating this, but I suspect that if you dig in you will find that you’re paying MORE in slippage and RH not crossing spreads than you’re saving in fees. A normal broker you will execute immediately; RH likely is only executing higher or only on the ask. Anyway, they may call it "free". In my opinion it isn't truly "free".

TheSteveHunt
08-23-2018, 02:26 PM
I always set limits on buys...

chuck5815
08-23-2018, 11:32 PM
I won't spend a lot of time debating this, but I suspect that if you dig in you will find that you’re paying MORE in slippage and RH not crossing spreads than you’re saving in fees. A normal broker you will execute immediately; RH likely is only executing higher or only on the ask. Anyway, they may call it "free". In my opinion it isn't truly "free".

Meh, the average RH trader isn’t moving thousands of shares in a trade. For younger folks with, say, $5 to $10K at risk, there’s a huge difference between $5.99 per trade and a penny or two over 10 to 15 shares.

TheSteveHunt
08-24-2018, 06:26 AM
Meh, the average RH trader isn’t moving thousands of shares in a trade. For younger folks with, say, $5 to $10K at risk, there’s a huge difference between $5.99 per trade and a penny or two over 10 to 15 shares.

Truth. And I think people who play the lottery and scratch 'n wins should quit and do this. Better returns, a lot more fun, and
certainly better for your brain. I am about to get my butt kicked by GAP btw...o0f!!!! Part of the fun. I always hated that store.

duluoz139
08-27-2018, 12:57 PM
M1 Finance is great for long-term investing, especially if you are just starting out. It's free, minus small SEC fees when you sell, but this can easily be avoided by balancing your portfolio with deposits. It's pie (percentage) based and you can purchase fractional shares, so you can buy high tier securities even if you have a small balance. It's more for buy and hold type investing, but it's pretty flexible. You have access to anything in the major exchanges and some. I've used this, along with Robinhood and some other brokerages. I've shifted most of my investments to M1 over time because it fits my plans and st. They constantly improving the interface as well, so any tiny annoyances will probably get fixed.

TheSteveHunt
08-28-2018, 05:25 PM
They save me $570. I forgot I had a 410 put sale in but it executed at 980 right after opening today.14873

TheTravellers
10-24-2018, 02:56 PM
Just read this about Robinhood, interesting...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-15/robinhood-gets-almost-half-its-revenue-in-controversial-bargain-with-high-speed-traders

mugofbeer
10-24-2018, 11:29 PM
Just read this about Robinhood, interesting...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-15/robinhood-gets-almost-half-its-revenue-in-controversial-bargain-with-high-speed-traders

For once, TheTravellers linked to a good and complete article. I also had wondered how Robonhood made their revenue. As the article states, most all stock brokerage companies route their trades. My old company gives investors the option for their trade to be directed to a particular firm. TBH, the average investor gets the best deal at my old firm by relying on the firm to get the best execution - a fiduciary responsibility of the broker/dealer. I've saved thousands each year by doing this - it means if l put in a market order, l usually get better than the stated bjd/ask. This is called price improvement and is done by most larger firms.

It's a good read and is not known by most people but it's a standard industry practice that actually benefits everyone.