View Full Version : Chelino's

Pages : [1] 2 3

Keith
03-10-2007, 06:30 PM
As most of you know, Chelino's, at around SW.57th and Western, burned down about a month ago.

Today, as I driving around town, I noticed where Chelino's is opening a new restaurant, just east of SW.89th and Western. They are actually remodeling a building that was previously occupied by another restaurant. The sign is already up, so hopefully it will be open soon.

mburlison
03-11-2007, 05:10 PM
As most of you know, Chelino's, at around SW.57th and Western, burned down about a month ago.

I don't think I ever went to that location (57th/Western)... we're sure glad they put on here at Council and NW Expressway, though my favorite location is still Grand / Walker.

SoonerDave
03-12-2007, 07:34 AM
Keith,

That space at 89th and Western has been a BUNCH of different restaurants over the years.

It started out eons (20-25 yrs) ago as a Big Ed's Hamburgers (giant hamburger place), and it was really pretty successful until that chain, in general, more or less failed. Since then, there's been a variety of small eateries in there. Los Vasqueros opened there about three years ago, developed a great reputation very quickly, and then moved south to the abandoned Rex's Chicken building just south of 89th on Western (where it still sits today). A couple of "hometown" style restaurants occupied that space most recently, and neither lasted very long.

I was amazed to see Chelino's move into that location so quickly following the fire at their other location.

-soonerdave

mranderson
03-12-2007, 08:59 AM
"I was amazed to see Chelino's move into that location so quickly following the fire at their other location."

Odds are they had the move planned. The fire was probably just mixed timing.

CMSturgeon
03-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Keith,

Los Vasqueros opened there about three years ago, developed a great reputation very quickly, and then moved south to the abandoned Rex's Chicken building just south of 89th on Western (where it still sits today).

-soonerdave

There is a Los Vaqueros on 12th & Janeway in Moore as well. Good food, had ants on my table once though, that was pretty gross. Just throwing that out there in case you didn't know.

I am sure Chelino's will be the restaurant to stay in the building until it is old enough to fall to the ground. How many franchise locations do they have now anyway?

mranderson
03-12-2007, 10:56 AM
There is a Los Vaqueros on 12th & Janeway in Moore as well. Good food, had ants on my table once though, that was pretty gross. Just throwing that out there in case you didn't know.

I am sure Chelino's will be the restaurant to stay in the building until it is old enough to fall to the ground. How many franchise locations do they have now anyway?

To the best of my knowldge, Chelino's is not franchised. It is a locally owned establishments owned by a Mexican family.

CMSturgeon
03-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Well, that's kinda what I meant I guess. I figured they owned them all. What do you call that instead of a franchise? Either way, still wonder how many there are.

jbrown84
03-12-2007, 12:24 PM
They have 11 locations including one in Edmond, Del City, Norman, and Bethany.

mranderson
03-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Well, that's kinda what I meant I guess. I figured they owned them all. What do you call that instead of a franchise? Either way, still wonder how many there are.

Either corporate (which I am sure they are) or individually owned. A franchise is actually a bda which means doing business as. Totally different than total ownership.

Karried
03-12-2007, 05:31 PM
A franchise is actually a bda which means doing business as.

Not sure if this is a typo but while we're educating the masses here at OKC, we might as well get it right...

D.B.A. = Doing Business As...

The phrase (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrase) "doing business as" (abbreviated DBA or d/b/a) is a legal term (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_term), meaning that the name (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name) of the business or operation does not include the legal name of its proprietor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sole_proprietorship), the names of all partners (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partnership), or the official registered name of the limited partnership (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_partnership) or corporation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporation) that owns it.

mranderson
03-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Not sure if this is a typo but while we're educating the masses here at OKC, we might as well get it right...

D.B.A. = Doing Business As...

The phrase (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrase) "doing business as" (abbreviated DBA or d/b/a) is a legal term (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_term), meaning that the name (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name) of the business or operation does not include the legal name of its proprietor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sole_proprietorship), the names of all partners (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partnership), or the official registered name of the limited partnership (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_partnership) or corporation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporation) that owns it.

Yes. I catch most eventually, however, I missed that one. Yes. DBA is what I meant.

mburlison
03-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Yep, the Garcia brothers have been around town a long time... I remember working w/ Juan (the brother who runs the Grand/Walker location) years ago at the Pancho's (yeah I know... yuck) at 39th and Meridian. His brother, who worked at Furr's, used to come over on Friday nights and we'd party there in the parking lot off of 39th and whatever that was... (presently, there is or was a KFC there I think). That brother was Marcelino, who we called Chelino for nickname. If I remember right, he scraped together 5K and borrowed 5K from a few friends and family and opened up the location at about 41st and S. Robinson. He had nothing handed to him and I am glad to see them doing well. The guy is a great singer too :).

Turanacus
03-13-2007, 08:18 AM
Chelinos in Bricktown is the worst restaurant in town, Elephant Bar is close but Chelinos takes the prize.

Easy180
03-13-2007, 08:45 AM
Wouldn't say it's one of the worst overall, but it is the worst of the Chelino's locations for sure

But I have to say...Their frosted mug Tecate's completely overshadow the average food there :drunk:

Pete
03-10-2008, 06:20 PM
In my recent very quick visit to OKC last week, I ate at Chelino's for the first time -- I met a friend at the Bricktown location.

Arriving at 12:30 for lunch, it was so crowded we had to wait for a table. I took that as a good sign.

However, the food was deplorable. Probably the worst Mexican food I've had at a sit-down restaurant.

The chips were overcooked and generally lousy, the queso sauce was tasteless, the salsa was the same and seemed to be just a bunch of over-pureed tomatoes, and the shredded beef burrito I had was not very good at all. Even the refried beans were soupy.

I'm not that picky of an eater but I can't see why people go there at all with all the other choices nearby; unless they were all tricked first-timers like me.

Patrick
03-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Pete, a lot of it depends on the time you go, the location you go to, etc. I've had good and bad at Chelinos.

Easy180
03-10-2008, 06:31 PM
In my recent very quick visit to OKC last week, I ate at Chelino's for the first time -- I met a friend at the Bricktown location.

Arriving at 12:30 for lunch, it was so crowded we had to wait for a table. I took that as a good sign.

However, the food was deplorable. Probably the worst Mexican food I've had at a sit-down restaurant.

The chips were overcooked and generally lousy, the queso sauce was tasteless, the salsa was the same and seemed to be just a bunch of over-pureed tomatoes, and the shredded beef burrito I had was not very good at all. Even the refried beans were soupy.

I'm not that picky of an eater but I can't see why people go there at all with all the other choices nearby; unless they were all tricked first-timers like me.

Beer is what differentiates Chelino's from others...The 20 lime 1/2 lb of salt combination they do keeps me coming back

Pete
03-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Actually, I would definitely go back in the summer when you can sit on their roof deck and drink cold adult beverages -- and just skip the food.

fromdust
03-10-2008, 06:54 PM
everyone on this site seems to like the place. i think its becuz its local and most people have something against national chains. good to see someone besides me that thinks it sucks too.

SWOKC 4 me
03-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Chelino's is very hit and miss. I have had great food there and I have been back the same time of day and the same day of another week and it was awful. I don't get it!

I also am quite disappointed in how chelino's in Bricktown has kept up (or not kept up) their canal side patio seating area. It looks quite trashy most of the time and is not in use very often even on great weather days.

Pete
03-10-2008, 08:20 PM
I'm afraid this is what happens when a family-run restaurant decides to open multiple locations. Flipping Heck, Chelino's has 11!

It was the same story for Concino de Mino. I used to love the place just off Shields (SE 29th?) but then they opened tons more locations and I pretty much never went back.

Once the family ownership and original cooks become removed from the end product, that which made the joint special in the first place is inevitably lost.

Patrick
03-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Exactly Pete.

I've noticed Ted's isn't as good as it once was. Don't get me wrong, they're still good. But, I think they were better when they just had the one location.

Easy180
03-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Exactly Pete.

I've noticed Ted's isn't as good as it once was. Don't get me wrong, they're still good. But, I think they were better when they just had the one location.

I think it was just the hour and a half wait that made the original taste so good

Casa Perico's on 63rd has moved to the top of my list...Their papa rancheras are the best side I have ever had at a Mexican restaurant....Only one I've ran across that fry them instead of making it mashed potatoes style

barrettd
03-10-2008, 08:46 PM
I think it was just the hour and a half wait that made the original taste so good

Casa Perico's on 63rd has moved to the top of my list...Their papa rancheras are the best side I have ever had at a Mexican restaurant....Only one I've ran across that fry them instead of making it mashed potatoes style

Please don't talk about Casa Perico any more...I love that my wife and I can walk in on a Friday night and get seated immediately, and I would hate for that to change!

fire121
03-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Just got home from Ted's.I wanted Chelino's, the wife wanted Ted's. Very crowded, very loud and chaotic. I kept getting bumped from behind the tables are so close and it had been awhile since we have gone to Ted's so the new prices were quite a shock. $15 for a single chicken fajita? Spent $40. for two entrees and a Water,Tea and Tip. Chelino's at SW 42 and Robinson is almost always good.

Pete
03-10-2008, 09:03 PM
My one visit to Ted's in Edmond was very similar: tables too close together (in the middle of suburbia!), a cacophony of noise and it really seemed like they were trying to rush you through.

Food was okay but I didn't care for the dining experience.

SWOKC 4 me
03-10-2008, 10:11 PM
I only go to Ted's ( Southside) occasionally at lunch. It is very slightly less expensive than at dinner and not usually quite as crowded especially if you go around 11:00 or so.

I do think that Ted's is overpriced, I mean how much do tortillas, rice, and beans cost anyway!? They must be making a killing! It seams that most Mexican Restaurants in this city are starting to jack up their prices! Mexican used to be a cheap dinner out. Now it rivals everything else in price!

John
03-10-2008, 10:52 PM
Beer is what differentiates Chelino's from others...The 20 lime 1/2 lb of salt combination they do keeps me coming back

...which you can't get at the Bricktown Chelino's. They just salt it and don't do the lime rub, because "it takes too much time" to make.

Whenever I or another one of my friends wants to go to Chelino's, we go to the 'original' at SW 42nd and Robinson. You can never go wrong there. It seems the employees take more pride in their product/work there.

the_Mont
03-10-2008, 10:55 PM
I love Chelino's, but La Luna is pretty good too. And, they do take the time to rub the lime around the rim, then salt the hell out of the glass. I just salivated.

so1rfan
03-11-2008, 05:43 AM
Ted's is overrated.

Chelino's in Del City is consistantly good, and I agree that the Bricktown location is terrible.

Los Perico's is very good.

The San Marcos on SE 59th is always good, great service.

Here of late we been eating at Alfredo's in Moore, my wife really likes the food there.

With all the home grown quality family owned Mexican restaurants that we have to choose from, for the life of me I can't understand why anyone would want to go to a chain restaurant like On the Border, El Chico, or Abuelo's.

Jesseda
03-11-2008, 06:22 AM
I go the chelinos on 42nd and robinson, we have been friends with the owner of that location for decades, his name is juan, he treats every customer like they are family, the food is great, service great. I do not like the bricktown location it has been americanized to much, kinda like if you are going to a taco bell. The Chelinos in norman is good but we are good friends with that owner armando. I think I am spelling his name wrong, Armando about oh i say 12 to 15 years ago use to work at the one on 42nd and robinson, now he has his own little chilenos, I believe all the brothers now have there own chelinos. But the best has to be 42nd and robinson. Oh if you want to creat your own plate just tell them what you are craving, I have never ordered from the menu.

SeinfeldBlock
03-11-2008, 07:53 AM
Exactly Pete.

I agree, mostly. I frequented the Ted's when it opened on Western because I lived in Norman. However, over the past 6 months, the food has been sub-par. Always great service, but not great food. We have Ted's catered frequently for meetings at work because the food is awesome, the catering is awesome, but last month we had the catered food and the entire group was disappointed. None of us are interested in ordering it again.

I'm not a big Chelino's fan either.

securityinfo
03-11-2008, 08:52 AM
I agree, mostly. I frequented the Ted's when it opened on Western because I lived in Norman. However, over the past 6 months, the food has been sub-par. Always great service, but not great food. We have Ted's catered frequently for meetings at work because the food is awesome, the catering is awesome, but last month we had the catered food and the entire group was disappointed. None of us are interested in ordering it again.

I'm not a big Chelino's fan either.

Email Ted at tc4542@cox.net. Tell him what your experience was, as you have done here. I expect he will do something about it.

jbrown84
03-11-2008, 10:10 AM
I agree Chelino's food seems to have gone downhill. And Ted's is SO overrrated and overpriced.

1. Cocina de Mino (as good as always IMO--they're down to only 3 locations)
2. Abuelita Rosa's
3. San Marcos
4. La Luna
5. Mariscos de la Costa

fire121
03-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Armando (Chelino's Norman) used to be a waiter at Nino's SW 51 and Penn. Back when I first got my driver's license in '79 me and my buddies would go there and eat.
He is real personable and a great waiter. Don't get down to Norman much. Ricky's Cafe is Ricardo, a former waiter from 42 and Rob Chelino's. His first location in Moore had the Chelino's menu justed photo copied with the name changed. I eat way too much Mexican!!

Jesseda
03-12-2008, 06:21 AM
oh yeah rickys, when they first opened tehy used to buy the chips and tortillas from the chilenos factory.. well Armando hasnt changed at all, it seems like father time has kept him the same age for the past 15 or so years, him and his wife are expecting a new baby soon. Okay now i need my chelinos fix.. So much for the diet.

jbrown84
03-12-2008, 08:14 AM
Ricky's, IMO, is really really nasty.

Jesseda
03-12-2008, 08:21 AM
yes rickys is, i have not been there in about i guess 3 years.. I know he was a cook at a chelinos but he must have lost his chelinos training or he went with his own vision with his staff, but hey all to there own a lot of people hate chelinos but i love them I like alfredos but lately the service started to suck and they raised there prices on a lot of there menu items they raised as much as a exrta 5 dollars since last year, so to me chelinos has them beat down.

acumpton
09-27-2010, 04:11 PM
I've been to the Chelino's in Midwest City and Bricktown before and it was okay. The one in Norman is horrible. Don't know if this common or if we just picked a bad night to go. Husband and I both ended up with food poisoning from there. Eaters beware.

Dustin
09-27-2010, 05:24 PM
God... Chelino's is a sad excuse for a Mexican restaurant.. Quit wasting your money people..

Easy180
09-27-2010, 06:21 PM
They do make a mean Tecate

kevinpate
09-28-2010, 03:39 PM
It's not my go-to place in Norman, and I haven't been in for quite a spell. It was ok back then, and never got ill there.
There are definitely yummier places in town though

Ginkasa
09-29-2010, 01:17 AM
I just want to point out that although food poisoning is not at all pleasant and should certainly be avoided accidents do happen. The restaurant is run by people. No matter how well run a restaurant is at some point someone will become ill due to some error in making the food.

Basically, one instance of food poisoning is not, IMO, reason to declare "eaters beware." And occasionally "food poisoning" isn't really because of the food you've eaten or because of the food you necessarily expect.

acumpton
09-29-2010, 01:27 AM
I will be the first one to admit that it can happen anywhere, including your own home. The reason for the "eaters beware" is because a few of the people that I've spoken with since that happened have stated that they have gotten ill from there as well.

Dustin
09-29-2010, 02:38 AM
^ Ya cause its just plain bad food. lol

BoulderSooner
09-29-2010, 05:05 AM
I've been to the Chelino's in Midwest City and Bricktown before and it was okay. The one in Norman is horrible. Don't know if this common or if we just picked a bad night to go. Husband and I both ended up with food poisoning from there. Eaters beware.

in my experience i have found that the norman location is one of the better locations for chelino's and much better than the bricktown and midwest city locations

dankrutka
03-16-2015, 12:03 AM
I couldn't find another Chelino's thread...

Beautiful day today and the bottom deck was full... So, why do they not use the top deck?

Urbanized
03-16-2015, 04:36 AM
More importantly why do they not use the canal-level? I've answered that question here before, but it's not a good reason.

The third level is a bit more complicated; the entire third floor is not used that often any more.

UnclePete
03-16-2015, 09:42 AM
Everyone has their own tastes, but to me Chelinos is not good--none of them no matter the location.

kevinpate
03-16-2015, 10:19 AM
Everyone has their own tastes, but to me Chelinos is not good--none of them no matter the location.

I can't agree, at least not with regard to the S. Robinson location. Never had a bad meal there, although I have had any number of bad tex-mex, okie-mex, etc. elsewhere. If Tarahumara wasn't in Norman, I'd be at Chelino's S Robinson far more often than I go.

ctchandler
03-16-2015, 10:16 PM
I can't agree, at least not with regard to the S. Robinson location. Never had a bad meal there, although I have had any number of bad tex-mex, okie-mex, etc. elsewhere. If Tarahumara wasn't in Norman, I'd be at Chelino's S Robinson far more often than I go.

Kevin,
South Robinson is where Chelino's started. He then opened up a small place in an old Dairy Queen on Southwest 36th and Walker. That's the first one I went to but I soon started going to the one on Robinson. Good TexMex.
C. T.

Roger S
03-17-2015, 06:01 AM
Kevin,
South Robinson is where Chelino's started. He then opened up a small place in an old Dairy Queen on Southwest 36th and Walker. That's the first one I went to but I soon started going to the one on Robinson. Good TexMex.
C. T.

Actuqlly his first was in the old Dairy Queen at Walker and Grand.

Martin
03-17-2015, 07:36 AM
Actually his first was in the old Dairy Queen at Walker and Grand.

at walker, grand blvd and sw 36th are basically two names for the same thing. -M

Roger S
03-17-2015, 07:58 AM
at walker, grand blvd and sw 36th are basically two names for the same thing. -M

Right but I'm pretty sure all signage says Grand Blvd....... I was clarifying which location was first.

The Robinson location, which was opened for overflow from the Walker location, was managed by Marcelino's brother Juan.

Roger S
03-17-2015, 08:03 AM
I'd be at Chelino's S Robinson far more often than I go.

This Chelino's is actually owned by his brother Armando. Marcelino has always just allowed him to use the business name.

I know a lot of people have always gone there because Armando's customer service was over the top since he only had to run the one restaurant while Marcelino was spread out amongst the stores he owned.

Roger S
03-17-2015, 08:03 AM
dupe post deleted.... site hiccuped on me

Martin
03-17-2015, 08:06 AM
uggh... haven't had coffee yet. just saw "old dairy queen on 36th and walker" and thought you were responding to that. yeah... the signage says grand, but i know lots of people who call it 36th and also refer to i-240 as 74th. -M

Roger S
03-17-2015, 08:08 AM
uggh... haven't had coffee yet. just saw "old dairy queen on 36th and walker" and thought you were responding to that. yeah... the signage says grand, but i know lots of people who call it 36th and also refer to i-240 as 74th. -M

Yep Yep..... I'm one of those people that still refers to the Cox Center as The Myriad also.... Old habits are hard to break. ;+)

ctchandler
03-17-2015, 10:22 AM
actuqlly his first was in the old dairy queen at walker and grand.

nm

ctchandler
03-17-2015, 10:47 AM
Actuqlly his first was in the old Dairy Queen at Walker and Grand.

OKBBQEA,
I was backwards, I went to the DQ location, they were packed and recommended that I try the Robinson location. By the way, as the posts say, Southwest 36th at that point is also called Grand Boulevard. I was born and raised one block South of 36th and everybody called it 36th even though the Grand Blvd name probably happened in the 10's or 20's. It didn't preempt 36th it was just a street that supposedly surrounded OKC. I think most addresses on Grand Blvd are S. W. 36th. I know I had friends that lived on 36th and that's how they received their mail.
C. T.