View Full Version : Washer repair?

Pete
10-17-2017, 07:41 AM
Seems my 5 year-old GE front-load washer has had it's bearings go out or some similar wash-ending failure.

Would appreciate recommendations for a solid and fair repair company.

sooner88
10-17-2017, 07:45 AM
Seems my 5 year-old GE front-load washer has had it's bearings go out or some similar wash-ending failure.

Would appreciate recommendations for a solid and fair repair company.

I recently purchased a washer and dryer from Harry's TV and really liked working with them. I know they service equipment they sell, but may be worth a call.

Celebrator
10-17-2017, 09:51 AM
Although their service call without repair fee has gone up a lot (it used to be $9.95, now its $39.95) this outfit has been good for us with several appliances
http://www.appliancerepairedmond.com/ (Arrow Appliance Repair)

Pete
10-17-2017, 09:59 AM
Although their service call without repair fee has gone up a lot (it used to be $9.95, now its $39.95) this outfit has been good for us with several appliances

Thank you!

They also have very good ratings on Angie's List.

SoonerDave
10-17-2017, 10:00 AM
I'd recommend Wade's Appliance in Moore for any appliance repair. They are also GREAT for DIYers in trying to look for parts, or give general tips for common repair issues. And they offer good service if you need them to come out.

Keep in mind - this particular repair you describe may be trickier than average. It's apparently a somewhat common failure, but the manufacturers apparently don't sell the replacement parts to fix it (they'd much rather sell you a brand new washer), so third-party companies have packaged up comparable repair parts on their own. https://www.yellowvanhandyman.com/washerrepair.aspx

Bullbear
10-17-2017, 10:05 AM
I have used this guys several times. good guy and small business. C&S appliance repair. 405-834-2910
he replaced a pump on my front loader and only charged me 20.00 over what I could buy the pump for online.
have also bought used appliances for family members from him.

oklip955
10-17-2017, 12:04 PM
I have 2 good ones for you. 1. All Home appliance 359-0022 (used to be all maytag, its the Maytag man and the guy looks the part) 2. Dan's 341-8007

Pete
10-17-2017, 12:37 PM
I have used this guys several times. good guy and small business. C&S appliance repair. 405-834-2910
he replaced a pump on my front loader and only charged me 20.00 over what I could buy the pump for online.
have also bought used appliances for family members from him.

Thank you. I called and he said he is backed up about 2 weeks so that won't work. Sounds like he stays very busy!

TheTravellers
10-17-2017, 01:25 PM
A Better Appliance Service at 681-7121 was who came out on a home warranty oven service call. Very knowledgeable and did good work (Jason, the guy that worked on our stove, said they usually work on super-high-end appliances as well as normal ones, so they know what they're doing), no idea how much they charge regularly ($65 for a service call under our warranty) and not sure if they only do kitchen stuff or also washers, but may be worth a call.

Pete
10-17-2017, 01:27 PM
I'm now being told that if it's the bearings (and that seems to be the case) I'd be better off buying a new washer.

To be fair, this set was given to me when I moved back to OK and had a lot of years of use.

gopokes88
10-17-2017, 01:39 PM
I'm now being told that if it's the bearings (and that seems to be the case) I'd be better off buying a new washer.

To be fair, this set was given to me when I moved back to OK and had a lot of years of use.

That's just the way things are manufactured today. Our consumerism has switched from repair to a replace.

Bullbear
10-17-2017, 02:46 PM
Thank you. I called and he said he is backed up about 2 weeks so that won't work. Sounds like he stays very busy!
Oh WOW.. good for him.. I have never had to wait more than a day. Glad he is getting good business I send him people all the time.

FighttheGoodFight
10-17-2017, 02:53 PM
Oh WOW.. good for him.. I have never had to wait more than a day. Glad he is getting good business I send him people all the time.

Your first mistake. I never tell anyone about my repair guys.

BBatesokc
10-17-2017, 04:11 PM
Someone above mention Arrow Appliance Repair. We have used them several times on different appliances and have always had a good experience with them.

Jersey Boss
10-17-2017, 06:34 PM

... this set was given to me when I moved back to OK and had a lot of years of use.
There you have it. It's an old washer that has a lot of years. If you fix it you are still going to have an old washer that had a lot of service years, with no warranty. Don't throw good money after bad. You got a good deal, cut your loses, and buy a new unit.

Pete
10-18-2017, 03:12 AM
There you have it. It's an old washer that has a lot of years. If you fix it you are still going to have an old washer that had a lot of service years, with no warranty. Don't throw good money after bad. You got a good deal, cut your loses, and buy a new unit.

True, but this is a nice set of front load units with pedestals and they are in my home office, which means I have to have nice ones because they are prominent.

To replace them with comparable units is going to cost me more than 2 grand.

Richard at Remax
10-18-2017, 09:35 AM
I use Metro Appliance Service for all my rentals and personal repairs. Always professional, fair, and quick. http://www.oklahomacityappliancerepairshop.com/

Jeepnokc
10-19-2017, 12:18 AM
My wife called them as I never would have thought to call them but Mr. appliance at 631-1674. We have used them for the last 5 years for our oven and both sets of washers and dryers. (we have sets up and down) Honest, reliable, shows up when they say they will and they stand behind their work. Very reasonably priced.

Bunty
10-20-2017, 01:00 PM
Washers are probably more complex to fix yourself than electric dryers. When my dryer quit heating, I looked online how to fix it. It was a simple matter of changing the old heater element with a new one. My dryer still works after 10 years.

Pete
10-20-2017, 01:20 PM

These guys never called me back.

In the end, I bought a new washer and will eventually replace the dryer as well.

Hope these last awhile as the nicer ones are plenty expensive.

Jersey Boss
10-20-2017, 05:14 PM
In the end, I bought a new washer and will eventually replace the dryer as well.

Hope these last awhile as the nicer ones are plenty expensive.

+1. I think you will be glad you went this route. What brand did you purchase?

Pete
10-21-2017, 06:52 AM
+1. I think you will be glad you went this route. What brand did you purchase?

These LG models from Lowes. Big capacity, reviews were very good and they look sharp. I'll eventually buy the pedestals as well.

Very strange experience at Lowes that ended well. I needed a new unit right away so I searched their website for washers that were available for delivery the next day.

They had quite a few but I liked this model the best but when I added it to my cart, it showed 3-6 days to deliver. So I called the 800 number and they confirmed that amount of time. Relunctantly, I completed the purchase anyway and received notice they would contact me and schedule a delivery time.

The next morning I get a call from a Lowe's delivery guy who says he's about 10 minutes away. Holy cow, good thing I was home and I mad scrambled to get everything out of the way for them. I had paid them an extra $15 to haul away the old unit, a screaming bargain because I had moved that heavy monster into my house and it was not fun. They quickly took out the old one and dropped the new one into place. All in, I had a new working washer about 16 hours after placing the order.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/washerdryer.jpg

Martin
10-21-2017, 07:35 PM
i've only ever owned top-loading washers... do people have problems with front-loaders starting to leak as they age? this has always been my main concern but it seems that many companies are pushing front-loaders these days.

Pete
10-22-2017, 06:35 AM
i've only ever owned top-loading washers... do people have problems with front-loaders starting to leak as they age? this has always been my main concern but it seems that many companies are pushing front-loaders these days.

I've owned 4 now over the last 30 years or so.

What typically happens is the bearings and/or other parts involved in spinning go out and it's usually more expensive to repair than replace.

Don't know how that compares to top-loaders, as I would imagine this the primary issue regardless.

BBatesokc
10-22-2017, 07:36 AM
Do any companies still make washers like they used to 30 years ago that actually filled up with water? I know it's not PC and maybe not even legal anymore. Just wondering. I've had a couple of very expensive HQ washers and often find they need an extra rinse cycle or lots of pre-treating to get certain clothes clean. I loved my old fashioned water wasting washer from the 90's. The worst feature my washer has IMO is a clear top loading lid. Overtime I look down in it while it's running I shake my head at the lack of water and movement to get my clothes clean. Reminds me of the video some guy posted of a GoPro in his dishwasher. It looked so inefficient and random.

Jersey Boss
10-23-2017, 09:06 AM
Nice washers, Pete. We purchased a top loading LG set 4 years ago and could not be more satisfied. I believe LG to be a dependable model.