View Full Version : Mom delivers 16th child, thinking of more

Intrepid
10-12-2005, 06:54 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/parenting/10/12/sixteen.kids.ap/index.html

Mom delivers 16th child, thinking of more

Wednesday, October 12, 2005; Posted: 8:37 p.m. EDT (00:37 GMT)

LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas (AP) -- Michelle Duggar just delivered her 16th child, and she's already thinking about doing it again.

Johannah Faith Duggar was born at 6:30 a.m. Tuesday and weighed 7 pounds, 6.5 ounces.

The baby's father, Jim Bob Duggar, a former state representative, said Wednesday that mother and child were doing well. Johannah's birth was especially exciting because it was the first time in eight years the family has had a girl, he said.

Jim Bob Duggar, 40, said he and Michelle, 39, want more children.

"We both just love children and we consider each a blessing from the Lord. I have asked Michelle if she wants more and she said yes, if the Lord wants to give us some she will accept them," he said in a telephone interview.

The Discovery Health Channel filmed Johannah's birth and plans to air a show about the family in May.

The Learning Channel is doing another show about the family's construction project, a 7,000-square foot house that should be finished before Christmas. The home, which the family from the northwest Arkansas town of Rogers has been building for two years, will have nine bathrooms, dormitory-style bedrooms for the girls and boys, a commercial kitchen, four washing machines and four dryers.

Jim Bob Duggar, who sells real estate, previously lost his bid for the U.S. Senate. He said he expects to run for the state Senate next year but isn't ready to make a formal announcement.

Michelle Duggar, 39, had her first child at age 21, four years after the couple married.

Their children include two sets of twins, and each child has a name beginning with the letter "J": Joshua, 17; John David, 15; Janna, 15; Jill, 14; Jessa, 12; Jinger, 11; Joseph, 10; Josiah, 9; Joy-Anna, 8; Jeremiah, 6; Jedidiah, 6; Jason, 5; James, 4; Justin, 2; Jackson Levi, 1; and now Johannah.

mranderson
10-13-2005, 07:42 AM
I have a great gift for them. Actually, three. For both of them, birth control education. For him a vacsetomy, and for her a tubular ligation.

My cousin would call her a baby factory.

Intrepid
10-13-2005, 09:33 AM
I have a great gift for them. Actually, three. For both of them, birth control education. For him a vacsetomy, and for her a tubular ligation.

My cousin would call her a baby factory.

Really? I figured that you would've applauded them because they are not on any type of government welfare, building a house on their own and overall living a good life.

As long as they are happy, healthy and not endangering themselves (physically, emotionally and monetarily) in anyway, I say good for them!

:tiphat:

MadMonk
10-13-2005, 11:02 AM
As long as they are happy, healthy and not endangering themselves (physically, emotionally and monetarily) in anyway, I say good for them!

:tiphat:
:iagree:
More power to 'em but, I couldn't imagine having that many kids. :eek:

Intrepid
10-13-2005, 11:05 AM
:iagree:
More power to 'em but, I couldn't imagine having that many kids. :eek:

:LolLolLol

Nor could I!!!

Keith
10-13-2005, 05:49 PM
:LolLolLol

Nor could I!!!
I do good to take care of and keep up with two kids. I can't even imagine 16 children....and all of them very young. Hey, as long as they can care from them, and don't need assistance from the state, then I say congrats.

Jay
10-13-2005, 07:19 PM
I would hate to go on a family road trip with that family.
Can you imagine

KIDS IF YOU DO NOT STOP IT............WE ARE TURNING THE BUS AROUND AND DRIVING HOME.

Forget the SUV hello school bus.

Curt
10-13-2005, 08:04 PM
To each his own..I however cant understand it. When you make these decisions you kinda have to think about the future as well..the future of those kids when they are grown and trying to find work thats not going to be there for them.

karlanee
10-13-2005, 09:19 PM
What does the number of siblings you grow up with have to do with finding work as an adult? Just because there are 16 children doesn't meant they aren't well-educated.

Your logic is lost on me.

Jay
10-13-2005, 11:04 PM
Well there is a way to avoid the problem mariner is speaking of. You just teach your kids to value there education and you drive home the importance of people skills.

The reality of the job market is the more you know and who you know makes all the difference in the world.

PUGalicious
10-14-2005, 04:55 AM
What does the number of siblings you grow up with have to do with finding work as an adult? Just because there are 16 children doesn't meant they aren't well-educated.

Your logic is lost on me.
That logic is based on a foundationless assumption drawn from a sheltered, nescient existence.

Shaggy
10-14-2005, 05:53 AM
To each his own..I however cant understand it. When you make these decisions you kinda have to think about the future as well..the future of those kids when they are grown and trying to find work thats not going to be there for them.
That's true also. The parents certainly need to make sure that each child has the skills needed to find a good career when they get older. You are right, there may not be jobs out there for them. Let's hope there is.

BTW, in Scribe's post, he is basically saying you don't know what you are talking about, and that you have no knowledge of the subject. He is using his intellectual dictionary again, trying to impress us.

PUGalicious
10-14-2005, 05:58 AM
BTW, in Scribe's post, he is basically saying you don't know what you are talking about, and that you have no knowledge of the subject. He is using his intellectual dictionary again, trying to impress us.
You call it "trying to impress"; I call it using the English language. But, if that impresses you enough to make a comment on it, glad I could help. Gold star for Shaggy for learning big people words.

Curt
10-14-2005, 02:42 PM
That's true also. The parents certainly need to make sure that each child has the skills needed to find a good career when they get older. You are right, there may not be jobs out there for them. Let's hope there is.

What Scribe does not see, is people everywhere are losing their jobs so how can we expect there to be jobs for everyone 20 years down the road.

Curt
10-14-2005, 02:43 PM
That logic is based on a foundationless assumption drawn from a sheltered, nescient existence.
:backtotop

PUGalicious
10-14-2005, 02:47 PM
What Scribe does not see, is people everywhere are losing their jobs so how can we expect there to be jobs for everyone 20 years down the road.
What mariner62 does not see is that this "wonderful" president is solving all our problems so that everyone will have jobs, including the 16 kids of that lady.

PUGalicious
10-14-2005, 02:47 PM
:backtotop
I agree. I really wish you would.

Curt
10-14-2005, 03:32 PM

My friend, Scribe and his "brother" just have not lived in the real world. Maybe things are different there, but here once you lose your job you might as well get used to it, cuz you aint gonna find another one that pays enough to make your mortgage. I do know what I am talking about..working in my industry you see it everyday people getting let go. The average pay here for a Visteon worker was $38.00 an hour, according to what I was told by a Visteon worker..now they may have to learn to live on a measly $17.00 an hour. Thats not enough.

PUGalicious
10-14-2005, 04:16 PM
My friend, Scribe and his "brother" just have not lived in the real world. Maybe things are different there, but here once you lose your job you might as well get used to it, cuz you aint gonna find another one that pays enough to make your mortgage. I do know what I am talking about..working in my industry you see it everyday people getting let go. The average pay here for a Visteon worker was $38.00 an hour, according to what I was told by a Visteon worker..now they may have to learn to live on a measly $17.00 an hour. Thats not enough.
I am continually amazed at the "omniscience" of "mariner62" to seem to know so much about Scribe and his "brother" when he's never met either one and consistently ascribes characteristics that those who actually know the two would find as accurate as saying blue was red or 2+2=5. But this "omniscience" is nothing more than ignorance masked by arrogance. To each his own.

Now....:backtotop

karlanee
10-14-2005, 04:35 PM

If this logic were true, that would mean that hardly anyone in this country would have a job. It would mean that once someone loses their job, they'd be permanently unemployed.

I don't know what "real" world you live in, but I think I'll go live in the world where Scribe and his "brother" live. At least there I know that if I lose my job, I have the hope of finding another one. People move on, jobs change.

By the way, around here, $17 per hour is anything but measly. Granted, that is not a huge salary, but in Oklahoma, that's a pretty generous wage for most people.

Curt
10-14-2005, 08:52 PM
If this logic were true, that would mean that hardly anyone in this country would have a job. It would mean that once someone loses their job, they'd be permanently unemployed.

I don't know what "real" world you live in, but I think I'll go live in the world where Scribe and his "brother" live. At least there I know that if I lose my job, I have the hope of finding another one. People move on, jobs change.

By the way, around here, $17 per hour is anything but measly. Granted, that is not a huge salary, but in Oklahoma, that's a pretty generous wage for most people.
Around here..$17.00 an hour wont make your mortgage. You go live with Scribe in his rose colored world....here you wouldnt make it a week.

Curt
10-14-2005, 08:53 PM
I am continually amazed at the "omniscience" of "mariner62" to seem to know so much about Scribe and his "brother" when he's never met either one and consistently ascribes characteristics that those who actually know the two would find as accurate as saying blue was red or 2+2=5. But this "omniscience" is nothing more than ignorance masked by arrogance. To each his own.

Now....:backtotop
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!

PUGalicious
10-15-2005, 05:31 AM
Around here..$17.00 an hour wont make your mortgage. You go live with Scribe in his rose colored world....here you wouldnt make it a week.
Thanks mariner62! You're a great advertisement for Oklahoma's chambers of commerce!

Perhaps we here are really leaving in a rose-colored world; many things are quite rosy around here. Some people call that a "sheltered" experience; others will see it as having the wisdom to choose the right location and the right vocation. That's one reason that growing family of 18 will be successful in their future; the other is learning to adapt to and find joy and content in their circumstances.

Maybe you should consider a change in latitude to change your attitude! http://www.okctalk.com/images/Smailies%2001-28-08/tweeted.gif

Curt
10-15-2005, 03:00 PM
Maybe you should consider a change in latitude to change your attitude! http://www.okctalk.com/images/Smailies%2001-28-08/tweeted.gif

It's those changes in latitudes,
changes in attitudes nothing remains quite the same.
With all of our running and all of our cunning,
If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.

I see you like Buffett as well..so when I do move there..(and that is my plan within the next year).. we will get along just fine..too bad we cant on here.

Alot of my problems with people anywhere is nothing is ever going to change or get better if people dont try to change things..I for one will not sit back and not try to change something if I dont like it..the reason things are getting so bad..and they are..is because people get conditioned to accept things the way they are and not do anything about it..sorry I am not one to sit back and let ANYONE walk over me..back to the original topic now..having that many children is just irresponsible..jobs now dont offer pensions and are cutting benefits all the time..what makes you think when those kids grow up they are going to have decent jobs..or any at all? and dont anyone tell me teach your children people skills and they will have jobs..Bull****..people skills dont matter a hill of beans to the people running big companies..I know so many people that have degrees and yes good people skills that are laid off right now and cant make their mortgages..so what makes anyone think jobs will always be there..even your brother said they could be moving his job to some other country..but I guess since he has good people skills he will be fine..LMAO!!!!!

Jay
10-15-2005, 10:11 PM
I know we have the left the topic ten miles down the road but, I felt I had to add my two cents here.

The problem I see with mariner's theory and the point of view many people in america is that they have jumped head first into a pool of self pity.

You can only blame the politicians, corporate America, the economy and anything else under the sun for so long.

At some point you have to ask yourself the question of " What do I need to do to better my life? and then you need to act on it.

Acting on it may mean you have to pick up and leave everything you know and love dearly.

I have always liked Clint Eastwood's theory in Heartbreak Ridge "Improvise, adapt, overcome"

When you practice that theory you will suceed almost everytime.

My solution to staying employed is this method:

Always find ways to improve your performance and your worth to your employer.

You can never have enough education (even if you have a good job). Give up your favorite primetime TV show and get in a classroom once or twice a week.

Never give them a reason to discpline you. Always be on time, rarely call in and follow the rules of the workplace.

If you do those things and you do lose your job. Someone will hire you at a new job in little or no time at all.

Ronin
11-27-2005, 07:29 PM
16 kids is nuts, just nuts

She just loves the pain i guess :D
Or would it stop hurting after 5 or 6 births? ;)

Julie
11-27-2005, 08:11 PM
No it doesnt get any easier ;)
well i havent had 16 so maybe i am wrong. But i have 4 and i can tell you that the 4th hurt just as much as the first!
The only difference is that you know what to expect after your first..

Patrick
11-29-2005, 01:16 PM
I guess it varies...I've heard some women say that it hurts less, the more pregnancies she has had. But, that could be because she knos what to expect. Still, I couldn't imagine holding a baby for around 16 years.

bandnerd
12-04-2005, 05:38 PM
I don't know how anyone could justify having that many kids. But if it's that hard to keep it in your pants and out of hers, then I guess go for it.

I don't see how any of those kids would get enough individual attention. I watched the TLC special on them when they were about to have their 15th child (I think) and it seemed the kids did a lot of the work around the house, and the older children were basically raising the young ones. That's a little messed up--but it's not that different from kids in lower income families raising their younger siblings when mommy is out turning tricks and daddy's in jail. At least these kids have plenty of food on the table.