View Full Version : Demolition of property at S.W. 104th & Penn Ave?

old okie
10-10-2017, 01:09 PM
We noticed the former home (huge white house, empty for years on SW corner near SW 104th & S. Penn) of Pastor Shaffer (spelling?) was totally demolished today! Anyone have any idea what will be going in there? Someone who watched the demolition said the crew took it down in about an hour. Huge pile of rubble; saw it was being hauled off this afternoon.

Any word as to planned development of the property?

Zuplar
10-10-2017, 01:37 PM
A couple of years ago it was rumored to be a Sprouts. Now that they are going in a little further south I have no idea. Would be curious to know.

Bobby821
10-10-2017, 02:21 PM
That is sad to see it go, and it could be the family had it torn down to make the property taxes on it lower than they were with the house there. I have e-mailed pastor Sheaffers daughter and I will post what I find out in her reply here.

T. Jamison
10-10-2017, 02:36 PM
The property is currently listed by CBRE for sale as commercial development land. No building permits were filed. Only the demolition permit.

SoonerDave
10-10-2017, 02:40 PM
I heard a really, really, really ugly rumor that a Taco Bell was going in on the corner. That's 1000% unsubstantiated, no building permits, nothing like that.

It may be that the property itself fell into such disrepair that it no longer made economic sense to try and prop it up, and/or that any interested commercial purchasers wouldn't touch it without the current owner doing the demo. Hard to say. I had heard that the house was unsellable even when first vacated because the interior configuration of the place was really peculiar - not nearly as many rooms or as much space inside as the external appearance would imply. So the place has been hanging by a thread for a long time, at least until the Sprouts issue arose, and the Greenbriar HOA killed it.

Zuplar
10-10-2017, 02:47 PM
You'd think they wouldn't another Taco Bell since they just built on a mile and a half down the road in front of Walmart.

Hopefully it's something nicer that we don't have in the area.

Bobby821
10-10-2017, 02:47 PM
Here is an UPDATE to my post above. I have heard back from Sheaffer's daughter and as I thought they just had the house torn down because it has been sitting vacant since her parents passed away and was getting hard to keep up with the upkeep on it and the taxes etc. So they had it torn down and the property is still for sale no one has bought it.

SoonerDave
10-10-2017, 02:51 PM
Here is an UPDATE to my post above. I have heard back from Sheaffer's daughter and as I thought they just had the house torn down because it has been sitting vacant since her parents passed away and was getting hard to keep up with the upkeep on it and the taxes etc. So they had it torn down and the property is still for sale no one has bought it.

Makes sense. Thanks for the update.

old okie
10-10-2017, 03:12 PM
Thank you for the information, Bobby 821! That makes sense.

Bobby821
10-10-2017, 03:56 PM
Thank you for the information, Bobby 821! That makes sense.

No problem, I have been wondering what's going on over there for a while and been meaning to e-mail her and find out and saw todays post and finally did.

Zuplar
10-10-2017, 05:24 PM
Thanks for update. Maybe now this will get some business excited and pushed into getting something good there.

Bobby821
10-12-2017, 08:18 AM
Mistake

u50254082
10-13-2017, 09:37 AM
I heard a really, really, really ugly rumor that a Taco Bell was going in on the corner. That's 1000% unsubstantiated, no building permits, nothing like that.

It may be that the property itself fell into such disrepair that it no longer made economic sense to try and prop it up, and/or that any interested commercial purchasers wouldn't touch it without the current owner doing the demo. Hard to say. I had heard that the house was unsellable even when first vacated because the interior configuration of the place was really peculiar - not nearly as many rooms or as much space inside as the external appearance would imply. So the place has been hanging by a thread for a long time, at least until the Sprouts issue arose, and the Greenbriar HOA killed it.

Are there any pics of the inside online? I'm curious how peculiar the layout would have to be. I used to live in that area and would drive by the house often back when it was occupied.