View Full Version : Warwick Apartments

catch22
10-04-2017, 09:49 AM
Does anyone have any experience with the Warwick Apartments on NW Expressway?

I'm also not very familiar with the area as far as crime, etc. go. Any one live there or around there can give me some pointers?

checkthat
10-04-2017, 10:12 AM
Does anyone have any experience with the Warwick Apartments on NW Expressway?

I'm also not very familiar with the area as far as crime, etc. go. Any one live there or around there can give me some pointers?

Celebrator may be able to help. I think this is near the Founder's District area:

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=34561

Celebrator
10-04-2017, 01:27 PM
Celebrator may be able to help. I think this is near the Founder's District area:

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=34561

Not as familiar with the situation on a micro-level across NW Expwy from Founders District. That is a big expanse of highway with not much N-S access so these two areas are more isolated from each other than you might think. I never feel unsafe in Founders District. The condos at Founders Tower are pretty high end and so I imagine those folks there feel pretty secure to be investing so much to live there. The area is dominated by the activities at Baptist Hospital, so you have a lot of educated professionals by day nearby and probably some may even live at the Warwick. I knew one young professional in management who worked at the Crowne Plaza who used to live there. Don't know what the feel is at night over there. Across NW Expwy in Founders District it feels pretty safe to me at night--not really safe, but pretty safe. Probably as safe as I would feel downtown at night--although with a lot less people around. Founders District has an unexpected amount of transients in the area which I know some people are getting concerned about. That's my straightforward assessment. I would visit the area at all times of day to see how it feels to you. Great location though. Close to everything. Pete lives in the general area and loves it.

Pete
10-04-2017, 01:35 PM
I belong to the YMCA directly next to these apartments and like it a lot. I live about a mile east.

Warwick used to be one of the few 'luxury' complexes back in the 70's and 80's but have no idea how well they stack up these days.

One really nice feature is lots of covered parking. I'm sure you pay extra for it but that is a godsend during hailstorms and keeping your car out of the blazing sun.

catch22
10-04-2017, 02:35 PM
Thanks! Unable to visit in person at the moment, whatever we do will likely be "sight-unseen".

OkiePoke
10-04-2017, 02:37 PM
Had a friend who lived there. I only went over there one time. He said it looks sketchy but never had an issue.

AP
10-04-2017, 03:00 PM
Moving back?

catch22
10-04-2017, 03:09 PM
Moving back?

League sources tell me...

ShadowStrings
10-04-2017, 05:01 PM
I am a current resident of The Warwick and have lived there for a little over two years. The location is awesome. I like that I'm east of Portland, so I can avoid the Northwest Expressway to Highway 74 crowd. It's a 15 minute drive to get downtown, even during the morning rush. It's close to Penn Square, close to tons of restaurants, and highways are easily accessible if I need to go downtown or up to the Memorial area. You can also get to Target without getting on NWX or May, which is nice.

I've never felt unsafe there, but I guess this is somewhat subjective. They have added some exterior lighting around the complex. My apartment is at the front of the complex, so that probably helps. I heard that the immediate area was sketchy before I moved in, but like I said, I've never felt unsafe.

As for the apartments themselves, they were purchased a little over two years ago, right before I moved in. I don't think there is anybody working there now who was there when I first moved in, which is a good thing. Management's communication could be better, but this is probably the case everywhere, and it has improved quite a bit since I moved in. They have been renovating all of the apartments, and I'm not sure where they are in the process. The apartment I looked at before moving in was pretty dated and gross, but I was able to move into one of the first renovated apartments, and it is a night-and-day difference. I really like the look. The materials aren't the most luxurious, but I have no problems with them. Everyone is assigned a covered parking spot, and you do not have to pay any additional fees for it.

They do spray for bugs once every few months, which can be a real hassle, because they want you to clear out all of your cabinets. It used to take me three hours to take everything out and three more hours to put everything back, but now I only do enough to show that I put some effort into it (to avoid a fee for not being prepared), and it takes me 15 minutes.

Additionally, in the past, there seemed to be "emergency maintenance" on the water quite frequently, and they would shut the water off without notice. They told us a few months ago that they were doing a complete overhaul on the plumbing now and that these frequent water shutoffs would be stopping.

The only other problem that comes to mind is that there are a ton of stray cats.

Let me know if you have any more questions about the complex. If you decide to move in, let me know. I think I can get a referral bonus. :)

Lazio85
10-05-2017, 08:23 AM
I am a current resident of The Warwick and have lived there for a little over two years. The location is awesome. I like that I'm east of Portland, so I can avoid the Northwest Expressway to Highway 74 crowd. It's a 15 minute drive to get downtown, even during the morning rush. It's close to Penn Square, close to tons of restaurants, and highways are easily accessible if I need to go downtown or up to the Memorial area. You can also get to Target without getting on NWX or May, which is nice.

I've never felt unsafe there, but I guess this is somewhat subjective. They have added some exterior lighting around the complex. My apartment is at the front of the complex, so that probably helps. I heard that the immediate area was sketchy before I moved in, but like I said, I've never felt unsafe.

As for the apartments themselves, they were purchased a little over two years ago, right before I moved in. I don't think there is anybody working there now who was there when I first moved in, which is a good thing. Management's communication could be better, but this is probably the case everywhere, and it has improved quite a bit since I moved in. They have been renovating all of the apartments, and I'm not sure where they are in the process. The apartment I looked at before moving in was pretty dated and gross, but I was able to move into one of the first renovated apartments, and it is a night-and-day difference. I really like the look. The materials aren't the most luxurious, but I have no problems with them. Everyone is assigned a covered parking spot, and you do not have to pay any additional fees for it.

They do spray for bugs once every few months, which can be a real hassle, because they want you to clear out all of your cabinets. It used to take me three hours to take everything out and three more hours to put everything back, but now I only do enough to show that I put some effort into it (to avoid a fee for not being prepared), and it takes me 15 minutes.

Additionally, in the past, there seemed to be "emergency maintenance" on the water quite frequently, and they would shut the water off without notice. They told us a few months ago that they were doing a complete overhaul on the plumbing now and that these frequent water shutoffs would be stopping.

The only other problem that comes to mind is that there are a ton of stray cats.

Let me know if you have any more questions about the complex. If you decide to move in, let me know. I think I can get a referral bonus. :)

I live in a house in the Mayfair Hills neighborhood adjacent South of the apartments, and have had no issues with the residences as neighbors. The location of this area is unsurpassed in the metro in regards to its proximity to the highway system to go downtown and/or Quail Springs business park. Shopping nearby is a short drive to many boutique shops along May and Penn Square Mall. Within a 10 minute drive you have access to grocery centers Target, Aldi, WinCo, Homeland, Uptown, Wal-Mart, CVS, Walgreens, Buy For Less, Sprouts, Natural Grocers, trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Supermercados Morelos, and Crest. Our neighborhood association gets together often and no incidents have been recorded in the three years I have been here.

AP
10-05-2017, 08:26 AM
League sources tell me...

'Like'

Colbafone
10-05-2017, 08:31 AM
ALMOST moved into here two years ago right after the first renovations started. Saw an old unrenovated apartment, saw two fully renovated apartments, thwn came back and saw two more. They have a ton of different layouts. And the post renovation stuff is really really nice. Only reason I didn't move in was because I found a house for rent in The Village I liked better. The new owners have done a fantastic job of renovation here. I wouldn't worry about safety concerns at all. Definitely would recommend living here.

AP
10-05-2017, 08:32 AM
Pete's been hollerin' about how great this area is for a bit now, and I would have to agree. If you're not super concerned with 'urban living', the area is probably the best for access to everything in the metro. I live 2 miles east and I still see the benefits of the central location, though this spot is even better in that regard.

catch22
10-05-2017, 09:51 AM
Thank you all for the information. Love the location, but turns out they don't have any of the floor plans we like available on the dates we are looking.

Pete
10-05-2017, 10:23 AM
Pete's been hollerin' about how great this area is for a bit now, and I would have to agree. If you're not super concerned with 'urban living', the area is probably the best for access to everything in the metro. I live 2 miles east and I still see the benefits of the central location, though this spot is even better in that regard.

IMO the general area is the best combination of location and cost in OKC.

And also a huge variety of house styles (from mid-century ranches to 1920's craftsman and stone and even mini-mansions) and price ranges.

The only downside is that almost nothing is walkable, unless you get really close to Western. I'm a huge walker and from my house I don't walk anywhere, although if I finally got around to trying Ingrid's that would be the one place.

AP
10-05-2017, 10:45 AM

And also a huge variety of house styles (from mid-century ranches to 1920's craftsman and stone and even mini-mansions) and price ranges.

The only downside is that almost nothing is walkable, unless you get really close to Western. I'm a huge walker and from my house I don't walk anywhere, although if I finally got around to trying Ingrid's that would be the one place.

I ride by Ingrid's every day now on my bike ride to and from work. I plan on stopping in their bar one of these days.

Pete
10-05-2017, 10:46 AM
I ride by Ingrid's every day now on my bike ride to and from work. I plan on stopping in their bar one of these days.

It's a cool bar area but I have not eaten the food yet. Just keep forgetting to try it.

TheTravellers
10-05-2017, 11:16 AM
It's a cool bar area but I have not eaten the food yet. Just keep forgetting to try it.

Their sandwiches are average, the schnitzel was fairly decent, quiches are pretty good, and their specials look really good (we don't get there early enough to try the lunch ones, they apparently sell out very quickly, and we don't eat dinner out much). Surprisingly, their bakery isn't all that - their pies are fantastic, but their cupcakes, cannolis, etc. are, again, just average. We really need to go for dinner, it's so close (us at 35th/Venice to them at 36th/Youngs).

shawnw
10-05-2017, 12:32 PM
Catch, why you no look at Page Woodson? Or did you? Also, I'd love to see a nice public write-up about "I moved to Portland, then Denver, then back to OKC because it's the best and here's why".

shawnw
10-05-2017, 12:33 PM
Ingrids has a pizza type thing on their menu that is $5 during happy hour. Very filling. Can't beat the value.

Rover
10-05-2017, 12:35 PM

Its an easy walk from Warwick Apts. to May and sidewalks up and down May. It isn't close to Western (2 miles). Hospital is close walk, Target, Dave & Busters, (soon to be) Aldi's, etc. Going north is lots of stuff at 63rd and May area and lots of restaurants, Home Depot, Best Buy, Mediterranean Deli, Barnes & Noble, etc. Walking to things from the Warwick is not all that bad. Getting to things directly across NW Expy is almost impossible though.

Pete
10-05-2017, 01:10 PM
Its an easy walk from Warwick Apts. to May and sidewalks up and down May. It isn't close to Western (2 miles). Hospital is close walk, Target, Dave & Busters, (soon to be) Aldi's, etc. Going north is lots of stuff at 63rd and May area and lots of restaurants, Home Depot, Best Buy, Mediterranean Deli, Barnes & Noble, etc. Walking to things from the Warwick is not all that bad. Getting to things directly across NW Expy is almost impossible though.

It's not impossible to walk those places; in fact I've walked to my house from downtown.

The only way out of the Warwick -- even on foot -- is through the drives that empty onto the NW Expressway service road, which has no sidewalk. I seriously doubt people that live there are walking in the access road and across all the parking lots and then May Avenue to get to Target or anywhere else along May... Then turn around and carry there purchases all the way back.

An area being walkable means that it's conducive to walking and that people actually do it.

Timshel
10-05-2017, 01:15 PM
An area being walkable means that it's conducive to walking and that people actually do it.

This. My office is in the area and I walk to Target on occasion - not an enjoyable experience in the slightest.