View Full Version : Looks like Crossroads Mall is closing for good in October. Sad News indeed

Pages : [1] 2

Bobby821
09-29-2017, 03:05 PM
http://kfor.com/2017/09/29/plaza-mayor-at-the-crossroads-to-close-to-the-public-at-end-of-october/

Bullbear
09-29-2017, 03:10 PM
I wondered how long they could continue the way it is. I need to go talk a walk through before it closes since we have no idea what will happen with it. I haven't been in it in years but growing up I spent lots of time there.

stile99
09-29-2017, 03:13 PM
Crossroads Mall closed a long time ago.

Honestly I'm not surprised, the closest I've come to setting foot in Plaza Mayor was an event at a hotel in the surrounding area. Came from the north side of the complex, turned out the hotel was on the southwest side, and driving through the circle surrounding it the place was deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeead.

jn1780
09-29-2017, 03:14 PM
Can't say I'm surprised. The efforts that were made were too little, too late. Moore keeps developing, Midwest city keeps developing.

SoonerDave
09-29-2017, 04:43 PM
Well, I noticed that they had given up on the new video boards on the outside several months ago, and the Hispanic-themed re-imagining seemed to have lost steam some time ago. And when I heard that the old Ward's space was being sold off as a school I thought then that didn't bode well for any retail future.

Sad for me, because I grew up near Crossroads in the 70's, watched them build it, spent a lot of time there as a teenager, and shopped there as an adult until the retail hemorrhage started. It was a wonderful place in its heyday, and I'm sad to see it shuttered - whatever the reasons. It was a tremendous part of OKC at one time, and its a shame it goes into the history books this way.

HangryHippo
09-29-2017, 05:55 PM
Speaking of the Hispanic-themed reimagining - that really pissed me off. They said they were going to model it after the one in Ft. Worth (?) which would have been neat, but it always seemed like they never gave it more than a half-ass effort to rent out a couple of spaces to cheap crap. I think they could have been really successful if they’d have at least tried.

stile99
09-29-2017, 06:35 PM
This is coming from someone who, as I mentioned, never once set foot into Plaza Mayor. So it could be entirely wrong, but it is my perception, and perhaps if it IS wrong, they should have worked harder on changing the perception. That said...

It seems to me all the big promises for the place never really came to fruition. They took a run-down mall with no reason to go there and thought "build it and they will come" and then forgot the build it part. There was still never any reason for me to go there, so I didn't. As far as I know, the plans for a grocery store/farmer's market/flea market didn't happen. I don't know if the promised "entertainment venue" ever happened, but I do know some sketchy-sounding 'events' happened (the main one that comes to mind was a "collector's show" that based on the description was a crappy dealer's room without a list of vendors). The rodeo arena never got off the drawing board. It remained a run-down mall with no reason to go there.

Once again with the caveat that this is perception only, and may not be based in reality, it seemed like the place was destined to be a bunch of cell phone accessory kiosks, "free cell phone" kiosks, and MLM kiosks. If this is the case, then there's no question why it died (again). If it isn't, then the answer is because they did absolutely nothing to remove this perception. I'm reminded of Shepherd Mall when it was in their first transition. AOL on one side, a couple food places open to feed them, and a dollar store-type place on the other end. Walking through the halls, especially as one who remembered how vibrant they were in the past, was just eerie. I saw no reason to feel that way again walking empty halls at Plaza Mayor.

Converting to offices may not be the best use of Crossroads/Plaza Mayor, but it sure worked for Shepherd.

SoonerDave
09-29-2017, 08:05 PM
The story in the link above stated that the owners were going to talk with the city to discuss the future of the property.

I am wondering if they are trying to feel out the city's response to the possible notion of razing it. I was puzzled in one story that said the closing could affect that school in the Wards space. That would explain it.

warreng88
09-30-2017, 06:36 AM
Plaza Mayor to close at end of October

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record September 29, 2017

OKLAHOMA CITY – The company that manages Plaza Mayor at the Crossroads has announced the property’s closing.

CRM Properties Group LLC will close the mall to the public on Oct. 31. The property sits at the intersection of Interstates 35 and 240.

CRM said in a prepared statement that despite several efforts, it could not make the center a viable retail destination. The company cited low tenancy, lack of activity, and a tremendous economic burden as the reasons to close it.

“While the future plans of this mall are currently unknown, CRM will be making every effort to work with municipal and state governments to determine the highest and best use of the property to best serve the city and community as a whole,” the company wrote.

CRM has owned the property since 2011. It purchased the property, then known as Crossroads Mall, with plans to make it a Hispanic retail center. The company hired Jose Legaspi, who had turned a Fort Worth mall into a vibrant Hispanic-retail destination.

In the last few years the Plaza Mayor hosted several Hispanic festivals, and at Christmas it was home to a North Pole attraction.

The mall is now home to Santa Fe South High School. The former Montgomery Ward space was sold to the charter school in December 2016. The school has doors that enter into the mall, but they are locked during the day.

Buchanan’s OKC Public Market has been hosting antiques shows at the former J.C. Penney space. It been there for nearly a year, leaving State Fair Park.

RadicalModerate
09-30-2017, 06:41 AM
Maybe they could tear it down and put in a Super Braum's.

catch22
09-30-2017, 07:16 AM
It's a huge piece of property. But I think it's location will kill off any chance of meaningful redevelopment any time soon. Next to the trash dump, across from Valley Brook and the interstate has it cut off on the two most important sides (W and S))

I may need to go walk through one final time. We used to go there at least once a week when I was growing up. Many good memories.

d-usa
09-30-2017, 08:23 AM
I hope the Christmas folks find a new space.

Pryor Tiger
09-30-2017, 08:32 AM
I wonder with the new 240 alignment.. Could this be a possible site for a Soccer Stadium/Mixed Use development?

rezman
09-30-2017, 08:46 AM
Unless I have to go to a specific place over in that area, there's nothing around that interchange that makes me want to get off the highway when I come through there.

I've long thought it would be the perfect spot for a profesional sports stadium of some kind if there was a market for it.

oklip955
09-30-2017, 11:34 AM
Given the location and the size of the property, I would be guessing that the building would be razed and some industrial use found for the property. Maybe a trucking company hub. I doubt that it'll attract much in the way of retail uses. I don't think a sports arena will invest in it given its location.

SoonerDave
09-30-2017, 11:45 AM
Seems to me that tearing it down would be a monumentally expensive undertaking all by itself. And I can't fathom that would be a desirable location for any kind of stadiium - not that the *site* wouldn't support it, but the area around it just wouldn't seem ideal for it.

d-usa
09-30-2017, 05:38 PM
The lack of places to go before or after a game is really the killer there for me, even if you can check of the “close to stereotypical soccer fan demographic” box.

Pryor Tiger
09-30-2017, 06:43 PM
Is FunkDiesel the real Bob Funk? If so he was showing curiosity on twitter...

Not often you come across that size of stadium ready land.. It would have to be developed as a mixed use area, but I could see it working to be honest. River may be more ideal, but this actually makes more sense when you look at other stadiums around the country. Just 10 minutes from Downtown OKC, it will have a much improved traffic flow with the new system:

"Improved Traffic Safety and Efficiency

The new interchange will address congestion and safety issues by providing new ramps and increased merging distance to accommodate current and future traffic.
Preserved and Enhanced Business Access

While interstate access for businesses will change, ODOT has worked with the business community and City of Oklahoma City to design additional features to help traffic get to and from south Oklahoma City businesses, including:
Added I-240 on- and off-ramps to make Santa Fe Ave. a full interchange
Additional exit lanes from eastbound I-240 to Eastern Ave.
Two-way service roads between Eastern Ave. and Plaza Mayor
Improved local roads through Plaza Mayor that connect to service roads
Protected turnaround lane at S.E. 59th St. for traffic exiting from northbound I-35"

rtz
09-30-2017, 10:19 PM
I was too young at the time to fully experience and explore that mall back in the '80's. But it sure has some strange design elements to it. That 3 story department store on the south end. That top floor always seemed small?

This bridge that goes from the parking lot and that secluded dead end down there. Go down there sometime.

https://s25.postimg.org/dqrsqxvrf/bridge1.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/dqrsqxvrf/)

This extremely secluded gravel pit with fire exits down there. The sheltered area under the stairs. Only in the 1970's would they have designed something like that.

https://s25.postimg.org/5y14yyacr/pit1.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/5y14yyacr/)

The expression "if these walls could talk" and the stories they could tell come to mind. All that must have ever gone on in those places over the years.

And two(!) movie theaters? How did that come to be?

stile99
10-01-2017, 05:36 AM
And two(!) movie theaters? How did that come to be?

There was one, then it went to crap. So they built another and then...well, you know.

kmckuen
10-01-2017, 07:22 AM
I went into the mall yesterday and took a few dozen pictures...A far cry from its hey-day! I can remember when we went there and my dad bought me my first suit from Napoleon Nash's

oklip955
10-01-2017, 07:05 PM
My favorite place at that mall was Louie Farrell's Ice Cream parler. Loved the early 20's or so decor and the ice cream.

SoonerDave
10-02-2017, 06:11 AM
Even as far back as my teens, I recall hearing stories about how Crossroads' ownership was fractured and at odds with each other, even to the point of spiteful pettiness, all at the expense of the mall itself. One owner would want X, the other wanted Y, and each would insist on their own thing being done first. Sounds ridiculous.

One example of this was a redesign idea that was apparently close to fruition: rebuilding the center court into a food plaza. As I recall, plans were fairly well along, then something happened - ownership squabble (again) - and the plan never happened. In its 43-year history, Crossroads saw only *one* substantive, mall-wide rework; but even it was really more superficial than substantive. Even the removal of the fountain arose as much of necessity - it had been leaking below-ground for years with no ownership attention. By the time they really addressed it, the damage was so bad that fixing it was cost-prohibitive, so they had to pull it out entirely.

So, as a nearly life-long S. OKC'er, I lament Crossroads demise not merely as a reflection of changing times and tastes, but one of horrendous, inexcusable neglect. And that's nothing short of a shame.

rezman
10-02-2017, 06:43 AM
As cool as it was, and maybe even cutting edge for this city back in the day, and I think there was even a worker who fell to his death during it's construction, it's time has come and gone. It won't hurt my feelings one bit to see it go. Just take a look at the aerial photos of the mall and all the wasted land around it. Pretty incredible.

ChowRunner
10-02-2017, 10:35 AM
Through important question that needs to be asked is are the zombies still locked in the tunnels underneath the mall, and if they are what is bing done to protect the citizens that live in that area.

Martin
10-02-2017, 12:47 PM
Through important question that needs to be asked is are the zombies still locked in the tunnels underneath the mall, and if they are what is bing done to protect the citizens that live in that area.

ha ha... nice.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/017/492/bUNXwFD.jpg

SoonerDave
10-02-2017, 01:51 PM
I actually went out to Crossroads today to say a bit of a "final farewell" to the place where I'd spent a good part of my teenager years, and I'm going to figure out where to post a rather sentimental reflection along with some pictures a bit later.

What I did want to offer as I went through the place - and I haven't set foot in there in years - I came away rather surprised. This was not entirely a desolate place that looks like zombies might emerge at a moment's notice. Yes, there were places and areas that gave that distant vibe, but that wasn't the vibe of the whole place. There were seniors walking their daily miles, a few families with kids riding some of the rides, and some eating lunch at one of several food places still operating. There was also a surprising (to me) number of retail establishments open for business, and to me also a clear demonstration that the owners really, really tried to make a go of the Hispanic retheming/incubator concept. I just think they exhausted or overestimated the potential of that location for the incubator concept. And, for the record, I never for a moment felt the least bit threatened or unsafe - at this point, it's so little of a target that not even an "unsavory" crowd would bother targeting the place. Oddly, the sun shone through the triangular center-court roof to give the place an interior illusion of life that didn't really exist, save for the handful of people that were there for lunch, for work, for walking, for whatever. And there was a surprising number of people there working in operating businesses that'll be gone in a month.

Now, at the risk of overstating it, I don't want to leave the impression the place was thriving, because it obviously wasn't. The place had maybe 50, perhaps 100 other people in it, employees included. Storefronts amounting to maybe 10-15% of the mall were operating and current, while the balance were abandoned - perhaps untouched in a decade. The old "Eyemasters" location on the first floor stood with old glass frame racks untouched, but with damaged roof and lighting hanging from the ceiling. The big abstract "football" sculpture from the old #1 FAN store on the 2nd floor was in its place, along with a pile of assorted debris sticking out of a Washington Redksins trashcan, all leftover from a half-completed cleanup. In an odd, almost Twilight Zone-like contrast, the "Bed, Bath, and Beyond" store was open and had quite a few customers browsing. Some stores obviously knew what was coming - some had "All Sales Final" signs on the door, or directing UPS deliveries to other locations. Others looked like they could easily have been in business yesterday, but shelves for retail merchandise were bare as if stripped by a Christmas sale on Black Friday, but closed up and gone on Saturday.

As I walked through taking pictures, a very pleasant older gentleman visited with me for a few minutes, and introduced himself as someone associated with the model railroad group that exhibits at various locations in the mall. I told him I was just taking a final walk through, talked about how sad it was that everyone knew the place would close eventually, and in the course of our visit he dropped some information on me that I had not known - and that was Hudiburg Auto Group had bought the former Macy's space on the north end of the mall, but almost immediately tried to sell it back for what they'd paid for it. The previous owners refused, and as of this day, Hudiburg uses that space as a warehouse and retail front for their parts outlet. I drove over to the north side, and the old 2nd-floor west entrance to Macy's is replaced with iron lattice gates looking directly into a massive warehouse of boxes and shelves - with the drop-ceilings of Macy's still present in places. He also told me that Buchanan's was under lease to continue using the old JCPenny space for their flea market through November, but he wasn't sure if the mall's closing would affect it. He also mentioned that all the current tenants had been advised that the last retail day for the mall was 31 October, but all tenants would have to be completely out of the building by 15 November.

Oddly, there was more activity than I expected. Soft drink vendors rolled pallets of pop to one of the several food stands still in business. The center court area had been rearranged some, with the carousel moved out to the location where the fountain used to be - and surface scars of the old fountain (along with 'wet floor' caution signs). The carousel was obviously long-since broken and out-of-commission, with extension cords and light bars tossed casually around, and detached carousel panels leaned against the center. Perhaps most telling was that what I'm reasonably sure was an auxiliary air conditioning truck was set up in front of where Farrell's Ice Cream once stood, presumably doing work of units in the building that had failed and were obviously not going to be replaced.

Yeah, its a sad thing to see Crossroads go, but obviously not the building - its just a 40-year-oldpile of bricks and concrete that finally lost its race with time and is headed for the history books. The things that we lament are the loss of the fixtures that give reality to the younger-age memories of two or three decades ago, of jobs, of dates, of Christmasses all past, now forced further only into the confines of our memories.

Farewell, Crossroads.

SoonerDave
10-02-2017, 10:20 PM
Here is a link to some photos I took of Crossroads today. If you're much under, oh, 30, they'll just look like photos of a dead mall and empty spaces - which they are - but for many of us, its a reminder of a more vibrant and very different time in OKC retail, particularly for the south side. Hope those of you who recall Crossroads in its better days will enjoy these.

https://jagfootballphotos.smugmug.com/Farewell-Crossroads

stile99
10-03-2017, 06:20 AM
Thank you for taking and sharing these.

rezman
10-03-2017, 06:30 AM
Very cool SoonerDave. Thanks for that. Having grown up a "northsider", I don't have the strong ties to Crossroads Mall as you and others who lived closer, and spent a lot of time there. I got to see it several times as it was being built, and made the occasional trip down there, usually for dates, birthdays, during the holidays, or when family was in from out of town. I vividly remember when the place was bumping, and it really was a cool place.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.3957186,-97.4919811,1645m/data=!3m1!1e3

traxx
10-03-2017, 09:26 AM
I'm the same, rezman. I grew up on the north side so Quail was my mall when I was a teen in the '80s. I have some memories of Crossroads, but not like those who grew up around there.

I honestly don't know how North Park mall keeps its doors open. How is it even still a viable mall?

Pete
10-03-2017, 09:42 AM
I honestly don't know how North Park mall keeps its doors open. How is it even still a viable mall?

They are actually decently full. They have a bunch of businesses that don't rely on the mall traffic and have their own exposure, like BC Clark (who just built out a very expensive new space) and the restaurants.

It helps they don't have any huge old department stores to fill and that it's relatively small.

And of course, it's a fantastic location.

Bunty
10-03-2017, 09:47 AM
They are actually decently full. They have a bunch of businesses that don't rely on the mall traffic and have their own exposure, like BC Clark (who just built out a very expensive new space) and the restaurants.

It helps they don't have any huge old department stores to fill and that it's relatively small.

And of course, it's a fantastic location.

Crossroads Mall should have picked a better location, like where Quail Springs Mall is or better. Maybe locating the state's first huge mall in a central part of the metro made plenty of good sense at the time while having excellent interstate access.

StuckInTheCapitol825
10-03-2017, 09:53 AM
I'll bet that in the early 70s, south OKC was WAY different than it was even in the 90s when I grew up down there.
At the time of development, I could see that spot being the best one of them all for a mall.

SoonerDave
10-03-2017, 10:12 AM
Crossroads Mall should have picked a better location, like where Quail Springs Mall is or better. Maybe locating the state's first huge mall in a central part of the metro made plenty of good sense at the time while having excellent interstate access.

In 1972, when construction started, Memorial Road was practically the distant boondocks. Crossroads was ideally suited to sit right at the heart of the I-35/I-240 corridor. At the time, it absolutely was an ideal location. And when the place opened, in its heyday, it was a retail spectacle like OKC had never really seen previously. Keep in mind that Penn Square was an open-air, single-story mall, and Shepherd Mall was arguably the "bigger" shopping district in the city at that time along with the Capitol Hill area. Quail came several years later, around 1980.

Pete
10-03-2017, 10:51 AM
I worked in the mall around 1980 while attending OU (at Orbach's, a very nice men's store) and there was a constant stream of people from all over the state and beyond who drove in just to shop there.

It was an absolute sensation at the time and there was nothing like it apart from Dallas.

It was super easy to get to from anywhere in OK and that was a big part of the draw.

Bunty
10-03-2017, 11:11 AM
Crossroads Mall was one of the first places I wanted to hit the highway for after I bought my first car.

SOONER8693
10-03-2017, 12:03 PM
As I recall, from somewhere way back in the dark reaches of my mind, the original location for Crossroads Mall was to be where the Warren and new Moore hospital now sit. That was like 50yrs ago. Of course the current location was later selected and probably the better location.

Ginkasa
10-03-2017, 12:21 PM
My anecdotal knowledge of this was the City of Moore actually did not want Crossroads to go in that spot (or anywhere in city limits) so Moore could keep its small town vibe. Funny what changes in just a few decades.

David
10-03-2017, 12:42 PM
Here is a link to some photos I took of Crossroads today. If you're much under, oh, 30, they'll just look like photos of a dead mall and empty spaces - which they are - but for many of us, its a reminder of a more vibrant and very different time in OKC retail, particularly for the south side. Hope those of you who recall Crossroads in its better days will enjoy these.

https://jagfootballphotos.smugmug.com/Farewell-Crossroads

Man, now that was a blast from the past.

Most of my history with Crossroads dates from before I actually moved to the metro proper. We moved into Ardmore in the early 90s and the mall tended to be where we drove up to for shopping before other destinations became available, and was also a preferred destination of my high school band director on road trips for football and other events. Later on when I was in college, on trips back home I would commonly stop midway through between Stillwater and Ardmore and get a slice of Sbarro pizza and an Orange Julius.

I couldn't say how many paperback books I bought from the bookstores, but there were quite a few.

rte66man
10-03-2017, 01:25 PM
I worked in the mall around 1980 while attending OU (at Orbach's, a very nice men's store) and there was a constant stream of people from all over the state and beyond who drove in just to shop there.

It was an absolute sensation at the time and there was nothing like it apart from Dallas.

It was super easy to get to from anywhere in OK and that was a big part of the draw.

Ditto. We lived in Duncan at the time (late 70's) and would always make it a point to drive up to Crossroads 2-3 times a year.

warreng88
10-13-2017, 08:14 PM
Plaza Mayor redevelopment a work in progress

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal RecordOctober 13, 2017

OKLAHOMA CITY – Raptor Properties isn’t giving up on revitalizing Plaza Mayor.

But the next plan is still in the works, said John Wooley, principal with Raptor. He said there’s a Priority-1 plan being developed. There are second and third-priority plans as well.

“There are several things that have to happen before (Priority-1) comes to fruition,” he said.

CRM Properties Group bought the property in 2011. It owns the west side of the property, the southern anchor space, and the center’s entire middle section. The company also has nearly 60 acres of land, according to county records.

Raptor has been handling the mall’s revitalization, Wooley said. The mall will close to the public Oct. 31.

Two other entities have ownership as well.

Maryland-based Crossroads QALICB LLC owns the space that was home to Montgomery Ward, but it now occupied by Santa Fe South High School. The charter school stared classes there this August and will renovate the second floor for another charter school.

The northern anchor space for what was formerly Crossroads Mall is owned by DLH Properties LLC. The Hudiburg Autogroup has a parts department at the building.

“Our number one goal is to repurpose the property,” Wooley said.

Raptor tried to revitalize the site without traditional anchors. The company hired consultant Jose Legaspi to make it a Hispanic retail center. There was talk once of having an incubator space for Hispanic retailers, but that never fully came to fruition, said Robert Ruiz, who previously helped market the property.

“We want to find something that’s a repurposed use for the property,” Wooley said. “If someone else wants to do it, we’re open to that as well. Anything’s possible.”

Ruiz said the mall was gaining traction with the Hispanic community during the three years he worked there. He saw the store occupancy increase from 17 percent to 46 percent.

Events like Fiestas Patrias would bring more than 15,000 people to the center. Other festivals saw their events’ attendees more than triple in size. A medical clinic opened at the center. National chain stores saw increases in sales, with some seeing million-dollar years.

He left in 2015 to work with the Scissortail Community Development Corp. His position was never filled once he left.

His wife’s company, Enye Media, continued to have events at the center for another six months.

“There’s still a need in the Hispanic community for a cultural center,” he said.

Wooley said Raptor has been meeting with city officials to get their thoughts on the next ideas for Plaza Mayor. With the two-highway intersection and the large land tracts, there are many possibilities, he said.

“We know a lot of people are disappointed,” he said.

SoonerDave
10-16-2017, 09:09 AM
Now that's a very strange article. Why on earth would you announce that you are closing the mall, permanently, tell the tenants to be out by mid-Novermber, release a press note that effectively says you just couldn't make it work, that the economic burdens were unbearable (words to that effect), then do a story like this that makes it sound like, "well, about that closing...here's a secret plan..."

This makes no sense. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Perhaps they're trying to diffuse inferences that the place was going to be razed? Pointing out that two of the anchor buildings are owned by other groups?

Like I said, it's just peculiar.

OkiePoke
10-16-2017, 09:27 AM
Article about a mall near Cleveland.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/25/an-ohio-mall-gets-a-second-life-thanks-to-amazon/

bombermwc
10-16-2017, 09:30 AM
Its a bit hard to see reasoning for closing if occupancy went up from 17 to 46%.

One thing they never did well was to concentrate the retailers together instead of letting them spread out. They could have designated a medical/office wing, retail wing, etc, but never did. Trying to make it into a flea market instead of an actual "outdoor" market turned indoors was doomed to fail when you can't offer the food vendors a proper place to cook.

As you said, a lot of this just doesn't make sense, but if ownership is spread out the way it appears to, then that arrangement probably doomed it from day 1. With no consolidated effort to offer space and share rent income, each entity would be for themselves instead of the common facility good.

SoonerDave
10-16-2017, 10:04 AM
Its a bit hard to see reasoning for closing if occupancy went up from 17 to 46%.

One thing they never did well was to concentrate the retailers together instead of letting them spread out. They could have designated a medical/office wing, retail wing, etc, but never did. Trying to make it into a flea market instead of an actual "outdoor" market turned indoors was doomed to fail when you can't offer the food vendors a proper place to cook.

As you said, a lot of this just doesn't make sense, but if ownership is spread out the way it appears to, then that arrangement probably doomed it from day 1. With no consolidated effort to offer space and share rent income, each entity would be for themselves instead of the common facility good.

Sadly, that is reflective of what I understood to be one of the long-term underlying problems with Crossroads from day one - even the original ownership was splintered, factional, and dysfunctional - one side would want to do X, the other, Y, with each one blocking the other out of...??? spite???. I'd heard rumors of a really nice food court rework was on the agenda just a couple years after it opened, but it never got done...for just this reason. Really, really said.

BLJR
10-16-2017, 10:33 AM
Will the school that just occupied an area stay there? I am assuming yes, since I think they took over an area on the end.

Sad to see it go, but I don't have any recommendations. I quit going 13 years ago. Seemed like everytime I went, there was something going down (fight, shoplifting, etc...) inside or out in the parking lot.

We took the kids to the Christmas area last year, and they couldn't believe it was a vacant mall. Son even commented that it looked similar to QS Mall, and wanted to know why it closed, so we had a discussing in what happens when economics, retail, and a criminal element all combine.

I saw karma show up there once. 2 kids ran out of the Foleys (before it was Macys) with a bunch of clothes. They were headed east, and no way the security was going to get them. As they got about half way across the parking lot, a train came through, blocking their escape path, and security was then able to corral them.... it was priceless.

jn1780
10-16-2017, 02:11 PM
Now that's a very strange article. Why on earth would you announce that you are closing the mall, permanently, tell the tenants to be out by mid-Novermber, release a press note that effectively says you just couldn't make it work, that the economic burdens were unbearable (words to that effect), then do a story like this that makes it sound like, "well, about that closing...here's a secret plan..."

This makes no sense. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Perhaps they're trying to diffuse inferences that the place was going to be razed? Pointing out that two of the anchor buildings are owned by other groups?

Like I said, it's just peculiar.

I kind of read it as them working on a plan and not actually having a finalized plan.

SoonerDave
10-16-2017, 02:28 PM
I kind of read it as them working on a plan and not actually having a finalized plan.

But that's kinda my point - when you release a note to the media saying "Closing Permanently 31 October," that sounds pretty final to me. The article doesn't.

jn1780
10-16-2017, 03:08 PM
But that's kinda my point - when you release a note to the media saying "Closing Permanently 31 October," that sounds pretty final to me. The article doesn't.

I think its pretty final that Crossroads won't be a traditional mall again. Its either going to be office or completely torn down and redeveloped.

SoonerDave
10-17-2017, 04:49 AM
I think its pretty final that Crossroads won't be a traditional mall again. Its either going to be office or completely torn down and redeveloped.

They can't tear the place down. It's legally now at least three separately owned entities - the school (Wards), the auto parts warehouse (Macy's), and then everything else. They can't just unilaterally raze the whole thing. They could surgically tear down everything else, theoretically, I suppose.

jn1780
10-17-2017, 08:06 AM
They can't tear the place down. It's legally now at least three separately owned entities - the school (Wards), the auto parts warehouse (Macy's), and then everything else. They can't just unilaterally raze the whole thing. They could surgically tear down everything else, theoretically, I suppose.

If they ultimately decided to redevelop the site, im sure those two other entities would jump on board. If they stop maintaining the mall, the mall is going to start falling apart. Like you said, it really makes no sense to kick everyone out if they planned to do anything. They could have gradually transition into an office complex.

SoonerDave
10-17-2017, 09:07 AM
If they ultimately decided to redevelop the site, im sure those two other entities would jump on board. If they stop maintaining the mall, the mall is going to start falling apart. Like you said, it really makes no sense to kick everyone out if they planned to do anything. They could have gradually transition into an office complex.

I wouldn't make that assumption about the charter school. They've put in a considerable amount of money building and opening the new school that occupies the first floor; the second floor is apparently under a comparable renovation for a full high school. Someone would have to come up with an awfully sweet package to persuade them to find a new facility and, in effect, start over.

emtefury
11-14-2017, 10:18 PM
That is a wrap folks. Liquidation auction last Sunday. Not affiliated with the auction company. I saw it advertised and checking if anyone claimed a piece of the mall.

www.nwauctionokc.com

jn1780
07-09-2019, 09:56 AM
Hasn't really been that long ago, but any rumors or news from this property or will it forever be abandon until it starts decaying to the point that it has to be torn down? The whole corner looks sad.

OKC should really get with film producers to film some zombie or disaster movies.

Laramie
07-09-2019, 12:01 PM
Hasn't really been that long ago, but any rumors or news from this property or will it forever be abandon until it starts decaying to the point that it has to be torn down? The whole corner looks sad.

OKC should really get with film producers to film some zombie or disaster movies.

Interesting idea...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e6/MonroevilleMallEntrance-PittsburghPA.jpg/1365px-MonroevilleMallEntrance-PittsburghPA.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQNEqM3w8Lc

Dawn of the Dead was filmed at Monroeville Mall (east of Pittsburgh) in 2004.

OKCRT
07-10-2019, 06:57 AM
https://www.kmov.com/news/nba-all-s...cle_6eb2468a-a271-11e9-bba8-17dcf77b5c0c.html

Goon
07-10-2019, 07:04 AM
https://www.kmov.com/news/nba-all-s...cle_6eb2468a-a271-11e9-bba8-17dcf77b5c0c.html

Thanks for sharing. Scaled appropriately, something like that would be an awesome re-imagining of the Crossroads space.

5alive
07-10-2019, 07:44 AM
Mayor David Holt et al. need to see this idea a.s.a.p!

jpetey99
07-10-2019, 09:21 AM
The biggest difference is the St. Louis project is privately funded. I don't agree with the City funding a complex like this. The yearly upkeep would require a bond measure by itself.