View Full Version : Anyone live in Heritage Hills?

Pete
10-12-2005, 10:23 AM
I like to keep an eye on OKC properties through Realtor.com, and I saw a few great places in northern part of Heritage Hills (not the high-rent district) for about $250K.

This seems pretty reasonable considering all the newly proposed condos in DT are going for about that much if not more.

I was wondering if anybody lives in the area and can provide feedback on crime and just quality of life in those neighborhoods.

Thanks!

Karried
10-12-2005, 11:12 AM
Here are two sites that offers statistics on the zip code but the Heritage Hills area is historical and there have been a lot of renovations and remodels. It's a pretty desirable area.

http://tinyurl.com/cszco

http://tinyurl.com/8dotk

Homes there are ranging from $102 - $ 124 a sq ft today

If you PM me your email - I'll send you all the listings as soon as they come available

escan
10-12-2005, 01:16 PM
What streets are they on? I live and work around here. In the great area, you're lucky to get a garage for that....farther up towards 23rd, there are some 250k houses that have been on the market for A LONG time....so, they're not pulling their asking price. Are you looking for investment or for your primary residence? If you're going to live there, I say look into it, but if you want to turn it around, they're pretty risky. ( I have several properties and watch this pretty closely).

Pete
10-12-2005, 01:43 PM
There's one on 19th just west of Hudson... Completely remodeled and added a beautiful master bath. Has detached garage... Looks extremely nice.

Just over 2,000 sq. ft. and asking $260K.

It would be a long-term investment at this point.

BDP
10-12-2005, 01:47 PM
I have friends who live on 19th and 20th. They've never had any problems with crime. It has a very good neigborhood and community feel, as do most of the historic neighborhoods. I think HH is best for its big trees and set back sidewalks in addition to the great houses. I ride my bike through it a lot and see lots of families and lots of community interaction. My friends love it.

metro
10-12-2005, 02:00 PM
Yeah, its a great area that is only going to get better in the near future. I wouldnt pay asking price as its not California but it will definetely be higher priced in a few years

Luke
10-12-2005, 02:01 PM
I live in Mesta Park on 20th St. I've never had issues with crime. I enjoy walking around Heritage Hills and Mesta Park. It's a beautiful neighborhood with lots of character.

escan
10-12-2005, 02:02 PM
For long term, it may work. I'll drive by on my way home today and see if it's one of the ones that has been on the market for awhile. My friend, (and realtor) has steered me a little clear of the area for investments right now, because there arent' that many people in OKC who will rent that much of a house. If they can spend that, they either grab a loft or just buy a house because they're so, so, so stinking cheap here. It would always be a struggle to find tenants, I would think.

Pete
10-12-2005, 02:21 PM
Here's a link with tons of pictures:

Link (http://www.obeo.com/Public/Viewer/Unbranded.aspx?ID=202112)

Karried
10-12-2005, 03:01 PM
Hey Malibu,

that home has been on the market for 36 days.

Original list price $269,500...

Remarks:

This home is so beautiful it was featured on the cover of Historic Living Magizine. COMPLETELY RESTORED inside and out in 2003 with new master and 1/2bath, rebuilt garage, and attention to original details with top of the line appliances and beautifully landscaped yard.YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!

I can send you the MLS if you would like...

Karried
10-12-2005, 03:04 PM
http://pictures5.mlsgateway.com/LowRes/229215_0.jpg

This one is $265K on the market for 37 days....

Karried
10-12-2005, 03:09 PM
http://pictures5.mlsgateway.com/LowRes/222339_0.jpg

This could be your neighbor - for a mere $1,750K - over 9884 SF.

Can you imagine what you would pay in California!

Pete
10-12-2005, 03:33 PM
Karrie, what is the average sales price vs. asking price in that area and in OKC in particular?

Do homes typically sell for 95% of asking, 90% or other?

Karried
10-12-2005, 03:41 PM
Average lately has been 95-97% of asking price 100-105% of new homes

September was 97%

Tempo926
10-12-2005, 05:56 PM
I lived on 18th between Hudson and Walker for over a decade. The area is constantly improving and crime is decreasing. However, I had 4 vehicle break-ins over that time that were costly. Never once did I have a home break-in though. Honestly, its a great area to live in and I miss it very much. The upkeep for the older homes require a considerable amount of money and time (or more money if you hire) but it is a great lifestyle. 7 minutes from Bricktown, 9 from Penn Square, 2 to I-235. You will make money when you sell too...

Pete
10-12-2005, 07:03 PM
Thanks for all the feedback!

I really like that neighborhood because it's older, with lots of character, big trees and wide sidewalks.

Also, you can walk to 23rd or even to the Homeland on 18th & Classen. I-235 is right there as is Midtown and downtown/bricktown.

It's a little too far to walk downtown but only a couple of miles away.

Considering they are asking $250-$300K for smallish condos in the proposed developments downtown, I think there is some decent value in HH/Mesta Park.

Pete
10-13-2005, 09:57 AM
One thing I'm going to look into is the no-interest loans up to $33,500 for properties within the urban core of OKC that MidFirst is sponsoring.

We discussed it in this thread: http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=3615.

I have a call in to MidFirst to get more information which I'll share once I connect with the appropriate people.

BDP
10-13-2005, 10:17 AM
That looks like a reasonable deal to me, especially considering the upgrades. I love those switchback stairs (or whatever they're called). I have looked at a lot of historic homes and have lived in one for 4 years now in two different houses. Pictures can be deceiving, to say the least, but I think that is a very competitive starting point for that house. I drive by HH everyday and I could look at it. The only thing you have to watch out for, in terms of value, is how closely it is located to apartment buildings. that turns some people off and I have watched otherwise great houses sit on the market for longer than usual because of that. If there's not one on the block or adjacent, I'd say you good.

Pete
10-13-2005, 10:28 AM
The more I think about it, the more I like that area...

The capitol is only a mile to the east, the HSC is very close as in St. Anthony's and OCU, you're practically in Midtown and downtown is only about 1.5 miles to the south.

I-235 is only a few blocks away which makes it easy to get to just about everywhere else.

It seems with the Classen and other urban developments coming on the market, $250K for a beautifully restored home on a tree-lined street will look better and better to those already in the market for a smallish condo for about the same price.

escan
10-13-2005, 02:12 PM
The only negative is the lack of "services" in that area. Trust me...you don't want to go to that Homeland on 18th Street. Ick! Again, I work down here (St. Anthony) and went to school at OCU (23rd and Penn) and live by Crown Heights now. You might want to look at that area too. It's great to walk to all of the stuff on Western.

Pete
10-13-2005, 02:22 PM
Where do you shop for groceries then?

I know there is a Wal-Mart Market on 23rd & Penn and a Food4Less near there too.

escan
10-13-2005, 02:57 PM
The Buy for Less on 23rd and Penn (while also having a little of the "ick" factor) has the absolute best produce in OKC...they serve such a diverse ethnic population, they do a good job to serve them all. The Homeland on 39th and Penn is tons cleaner than the one on 18th and Classen. Never been to the Wal Mart Neighborhood Market...try to stay the heck away from Wal Mart if I can.

I also buy lots of fish and vegetables at Super Cao Huyn (may have spelled incorrectly), the huge asian market on Military. For just a regular grocery store, I usually go to Albertson's. They're more expensive, but have a better selection. There's just not one around here.

I just like living near the Western Corridor. We walk to lots of restaurants and bars, then take the short drive down to Bricktown if we want. However, I know lots of people who love the Heritage Hills area too.

BDP
10-13-2005, 04:26 PM
Never been to the Wal Mart Neighborhood Market...try to stay the heck away from Wal Mart if I can.

I do, too, but the one Neighborhood Market is a decent product and it's pretty nice. It's a vaible choice if you do not have a Wal-Mart aversion.

The Classen Homeland is a bit grungy, but it is an option for last minute supplies if needed. So while you don't have a super nice store in your back yard, you're not stranded either.

Like escan pointed out, there is a nice Asian market. And going there is always fun.

Sidenote: there once was a plan for an Albertson's in the Paseo, but the guy who was heading up the project at Albertson's died and they just let it die with him.

Pete
10-13-2005, 04:41 PM
I don't like Wal-Mart but was impressed the one time I stuck my head into one of the neighborhood markets.

I'd love to see them open one downtown somewhere.

John
10-13-2005, 06:05 PM
You won't find much better meat in the city than that at Kamp's. They have enough of a selection to keep you stocked up on the basics. Plus, it's clean and very friendly.

Karried
10-14-2005, 07:28 AM
MalibuSooner, one thing to consider also, since Heritage Hills is a historical area, there are some restrictions on exterior improvements, windows, etc... if you want me to find out about it and look up the Historical information and the CCR's for the area, PM me or email me at karrie@churchillbrown.com and let me know. I'll see what I can do.