View Full Version : Duplicate OKC Wheeler Park sign

Hondo1
09-18-2017, 11:38 AM
I frequently see photos of people that were taken in front of the OKC sign at the Wheeler Park Ferris wheel. Got me thinking that it would be cool if duplicate OKC signs, or variations, were placed in some of the districts around town at entryways or wherever most appropriate. I would imagine there would be equal interest in having photos taken just about anywhere it’s placed. (I’m calling this a sign but I guess actually it’s an art piece). Could be good exposure and a way to promote the districts if it catches on in the way Wheeler Park has.

Pete
09-18-2017, 11:39 AM
I believe they are planning something similar in front of the new convention center.

Anonymous.
09-18-2017, 12:30 PM
Oklahoma City is lucky for having such a marketable initialism. OKC really can't be for any other place. And the thunder has really helped that brand become nationally known. No one wants to take the time to say Oklahoma City, when OKC flows off the tongue effortlessly.

I am proud of the local businesses and organizations taking it all the way with products and services alike. Go out any given place and you will see people wearing stylish OKC shirts and hats - and I'm not speaking of Thunder-based ones. We are talking about actual pride in your city. It is very warming.

dankrutka
09-18-2017, 01:50 PM
From a marketing standpoint, the Thunder really have made "OKC" a far more commonly known name for Oklahoma City. Definitely a good thing.

Bellaboo
09-18-2017, 02:09 PM
I always thought it 'originated' from the destination airline code from the airport location. I like the big sign and suggestion variations could be used elsewhere.

Urbanized
09-18-2017, 02:57 PM
^^^^^^
Pilots and others routinely called us "Oak City" (from a pronunciation standpoint at least if not a spelling standpoint) and when the Thunder got here it also resulted in sportscasters saying the same thing. As we all know, this is a term that locals never use. I will agree with Dan that the Thunder really elevated "OKC" - which we had always called ourselves - to a national and even international level of awareness. It may have been our airport code, but it wasn't on every tongue until the Thunder arrived and had a few great years.

I also would say that it really didn't even fully happen with the Thunder until the first playoffs in 2010. Meaning the OKC chant had rarely if ever been used. One of my former employees was in-game entertainment coordinator for the Thunder and I had also gotten to know Rumble (actually the dude in the suit). They were using canned "Beat LA" chants during the first round playoffs with the Lakers, and in speaking with both guys they were openly contemplating changing that to the "OKC" chant, which they did, and that is how that chant was institutionalized.

mkjeeves
09-18-2017, 03:23 PM
Reminds me of the time I reviewed some building plans for an OKC project drawn by an architectural firm in Oakland. They listed the location for the project in the title bar as Oaklahoma.

mkjeeves
09-18-2017, 03:25 PM
...(I’m calling this a sign but I guess actually it’s an art piece)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkI_gtGE3zo

traxx
09-19-2017, 09:26 AM
From a marketing standpoint, the Thunder really have made "OKC" a far more commonly known name for Oklahoma City. Definitely a good thing.

I was in Cozumel this summer and a local asked where we were from. When I told him he said, "Oh, Oklahoma City Thunder...Oklahoma Sooners. Boomer Sooner." Either those things have marketed OKC to a large audience or a lot of Oklahomans go down there. Probably a little of both.