View Full Version : iPhone X

Eric
09-13-2017, 07:47 AM
So I guess this goes here.

Well, it appears the tech world has come full circle. At least in regards to Microsoft and Apple

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2009/02/04/business/apple600.jpg

The next iPhone release from Apple will be the X (ten). Apparently I missed 8 & 9. Reminds me of another company that was struggling a bit and needed a fresh start.

AP
09-13-2017, 08:05 AM
The 8 was also announced with the X... only skipped the 9.

Eric
09-13-2017, 08:06 AM

Still funny

Zuplar
09-13-2017, 08:21 AM
iPhone X is to mark the 10th anniversary of the iPhone, really has nothing to do with the current naming lineup.

FighttheGoodFight
09-13-2017, 08:24 AM
iPhone X is to mark the 10th anniversary of the iPhone, really has nothing to do with the current naming lineup.

Yep I bet there will be an iPhone 9 and iPhone 10. The X is confusing since they said to call it "ten".

Honestly a good lineup pricewise for Apple now. The SE at $350 then the 7 then 8 then X. They have a phone at each price level now.

Midtowner
09-13-2017, 09:29 AM
I'm a little disillusioned with the iPhone X. I'm still using a 6s. I didn't want a 7 or better because I like having access to my headphone jack. None of these newer models adds any degree of greater functionality worth spending money on and the price point is enough of a slap in the face that I'm going to take a hard look at switching to a Samsung.

Zuplar
09-13-2017, 10:05 AM
I'm a little disillusioned with the iPhone X. I'm still using a 6s. I didn't want a 7 or better because I like having access to my headphone jack. None of these newer models adds any degree of greater functionality worth spending money on and the price point is enough of a slap in the face that I'm going to take a hard look at switching to a Samsung.

While I'm in a similar boat, my 6s battery is horrible at this point. Work buys me a new phone every 2 years, so I'm up, and really debating on if I get an 8 or wait to see about the Pixel 2 or wait even longer for the new Samsung. I hate to buy the current Samsung, because in a few months it will be updated and I like at least having the most recent tech at one point.

Of note the new iPhone's come with the lightning to 3.5mm, so you will still be able to use it, just have to use the provided adapter.

chuck5815
09-13-2017, 11:25 AM
yeah, i don't really see the value proposition with the X. they basically stole a bunch of ideas that have already been implemented by Samsung, Google and others for several years now (Wireless Charge, OLED, etc.).

http://phandroid.com/2017/09/12/iphone-stolen-features-android/

with that said, i'd like to have an OLED screen but i'm not willing to pay a premium for it. oh, and Apple is only offering 64gb and 256gb? if you're recording 4k videos or downloading high-res albums off of spotify, you will fill that 64gb in short order. it's been obvious for several years now that 128gb is the sweet spot for storage, but apple is basically forcing everyone to spring for the 256gb. smart business move, i guess, but it seems a bit bush league.

Midtowner
09-13-2017, 12:28 PM
yeah, i don't really see the value proposition with the X

For Apple, the value proposition is a $999 cell phone. I used to be in the "TAKE MY MONEY, APPLE!" camp, but Apple seems determined to be about a generation behind on everything it releases.

traxx
09-13-2017, 12:54 PM
I've been in lust with bezeless phones for a while now. Especially the Xioami Mi Mix, but I just didn't wanna pay that much for it. Now that Apple is finally on board with it, I'm sure it will become the standard and will hopefully trickle down to the sub $300 phones soon. Same with OLED.

Apple is only offering 64gb and 256gb? if you're recording 4k videos or downloading high-res albums off of spotify, you will fill that 64gb in short order. it's been obvious for several years now that 128gb is the sweet spot for storage, but apple is basically forcing everyone to spring for the 256gb. smart business move, i guess, but it seems a bit bush league.
That's another reason I hope premium features like bezeless screen and OLED trickle down to affordable phones because there are many Android devices that come with 32 or 64GB internal and allow you to add a 256GB micro SD card for a total of around 300GB of storage. I would hate having a phone where I'm locked in to whatever onboard storage there is with the phone with no possibility of expansion.

bombermwc
09-14-2017, 06:45 AM
Iphone X = Samsung Galaxy S8, only smaller....and more expensive.

OkiePoke
09-14-2017, 01:33 PM
I purchased a OnePlus 5 this summer. 8gb and 128gb internal only $520

traxx
09-14-2017, 02:21 PM
I read the X only has 3GB of RAM. That seems pretty skimpy for a phone that starts at $1K and goes up from there.

BBatesokc
09-20-2017, 09:24 AM
I'm in for the 8, but the X doesn't really appeal to me right now for the price. Apples phones go far beyond the hardware features for me. I find their OS superior and love how seamlessly their products work together. Not a fan of the facial recognition though. Far too many times I need to unlock my phone without making it obvious to everyone around me that I did so.

FighttheGoodFight
09-20-2017, 09:37 AM
I read the X only has 3GB of RAM. That seems pretty skimpy for a phone that starts at $1K and goes up from there.

RAM has never really matter for iOS devices as they control the hardware and software so they tend to make it run very fast even with low RAM.

The new processor is a big step for Apple. I am excited to see how the A11 performs.

jerrywall
09-20-2017, 09:38 AM
^^ and I know I'm crossing into paranoid theory, but a passcode requires me to type it in, and I can't legally be forced to unlock my phone by law enforcement. Fingerprint unlock and facial unlock is ambiguous on the legal side, and if unconscious someone could unlock my phone.

FighttheGoodFight
09-20-2017, 09:39 AM
^^ and I know I'm crossing into paranoid theory, but a passcode requires me to type it in, and I can't legally be forced to unlock my phone by law enforcement. Fingerprint unlock and facial unlock is ambiguous on the legal side, and if unconscious someone could unlock my phone.

Allegedly you have to have your eyes open and staring at it to work. You can also disable face unlock by hitting the two side keys at once.

d-usa
09-20-2017, 09:43 AM
You always have the option of not enabling either as well.

And I think for either, if the phone was off it requires the pass code the first time it is accessed and neither fingerprint or facial unlock will work.

That was actually the "failure" during the presentation, the phone worked just like it was supposed to. It wasn't the technology that failed, somebody did a full reboot of the phone prior to the presentation so the facial unlock was disabled because the pass code wasn't entered first.

jerrywall
09-20-2017, 09:45 AM
I know you can disable them. I do that on my current phone. It just means it's not a feature I want to pay for. I've become enamored with the cheaper Android phones through Amazon at this point. Nokia has a great one with great specs for like $150.

d-usa
09-20-2017, 10:01 AM
I have some Android stuff and it's okay, at this point it's mostly a "legacy support" reason I stick with iOS. I got apps I paid for and music I paid for a long time ago, and I want to stick with what I know.

I know Apple's new releases are often "catch-up" features to Android, like face recognition, but like you these are often features I wasn't missing to begin with.

Richard at Remax
09-20-2017, 12:53 PM
I just got the Note 8 and it's the best phone I have ever had. I still have an iPad but for some reason when it comes to phone functionality I prefer Android over the iOS.

traxx
09-20-2017, 01:46 PM
That was actually the "failure" during the presentation, the phone worked just like it was supposed to. It wasn't the technology that failed, somebody did a full reboot of the phone prior to the presentation so the facial unlock was disabled because the pass code wasn't entered first.
Maybe. But that would've never happened under Jobs' watch.

I have some Android stuff and it's okay, at this point it's mostly a "legacy support" reason I stick with iOS. I got apps I paid for and music I paid for a long time ago, and I want to stick with what I know.
You can take your music with you no prob. MP3 is MP3. Unless you're using some funky, proprietary Apple codec. And apps shouldn't really be a problem either. You just download the same apps on an Android device and login and it should be the same. I've got a Samsung tablet and a Blu phone (both Android -- I hate iOS) and that's what I've done with my apps and they work on either device. For instance, I can access my exact same notes on Evernote on my phone or tablet.

Dustin
09-20-2017, 08:15 PM
The only iPhone I owned was the 1st generation and I didn't have it long. Switched to Android shortly after and never switched back.

Jeepnokc
09-22-2017, 07:30 AM

From my teenager. The reason the 9 was skipped was because 7 ate(8) nine.

Thomas Vu
09-22-2017, 10:01 AM

d-usa
09-22-2017, 03:21 PM
I was under the impression that despite the usage of Roman numerals in the media, the iPhone 10 will still be the next model to be released. The iPhone X is supposed to be the letter X to invoke future, progress, blah blah blah and not the iPhone Roman Numeral 10. Which would make sense because Apple hasn't used Roman numerals for any iOS product AFAIK.

I didn't watch the press event, did Apple refer to it as Apple X or Apple 10?

FighttheGoodFight
09-22-2017, 05:35 PM
I was under the impression that despite the usage of Roman numerals in the media, the iPhone 10 will still be the next model to be released. The iPhone X is supposed to be the letter X to invoke future, progress, blah blah blah and not the iPhone Roman Numeral 10. Which would make sense because Apple hasn't used Roman numerals for any iOS product AFAIK.

traxx
09-27-2017, 09:47 AM

They want us to pronounce it as 10. It's kinda like Mac OS. They used arabic numerals until OS X. It was an X but they pronounced it OS ten.

SSEiYah
09-28-2017, 05:24 PM
Until I buy a new car I need a headphone jack. I listen to streaming music while driving while using the GPS so I need both a power port and a headphone port. There seem to be limited options in the high-end phone space that have one still and a large screen. I dont see why Apple got rid of it and now it seems like Google is getting rid of it on the Pixel 2 series. Pretty much just leaves me with the LG V30 or the Samsung Note 8 if I want a larger screen higher end phone.

d-usa
09-28-2017, 05:53 PM
There are some cheap adapters that let you charge and listen at the same time, or use Bluetooth to connect to a standard headphone jack. There are cheaper options than a high end phone and an adapter, but for $20 more than the phone itself it’s an option that’s widely available.

traxx
09-29-2017, 01:32 PM
Until I buy a new car I need a headphone jack. I listen to streaming music while driving while using the GPS so I need both a power port and a headphone port. There seem to be limited options in the high-end phone space that have one still and a large screen. I dont see why Apple got rid of it and now it seems like Google is getting rid of it on the Pixel 2 series. Pretty much just leaves me with the LG V30 or the Samsung Note 8 if I want a larger screen higher end phone.

Yeah, you don't wanna have to purchase a new car just so you can use your phone...that's frustrating. When you do have to get a new car, I can tell you it's nice having a car that plays nice with phones. Mine has Android Auto as well as Apple Carplay. I use my Android Auto everyday. It's so nice to be able to have my text messages read to me over the car speakers. Or I can hit a button on the steering wheel and tell it to text someone or call someone. I can hit the button and tell it to play Kind of Blue and then change my mind after a few minutes and tell it to play OK Computer. It's also nice that it displays my the map on the console screen if I'm using Google Maps to find my way somewhere. It's really nice having it all go through the car and the speakers. A couple of weeks ago I wasn't able to be home when Dallas and Denver were playing and I could just hit my steering wheel button and ask it what the score was of the Cowboys Broncos game (I stopped asking after a while).