View Full Version : Hurricane Irma

jerrywall
09-10-2017, 09:18 AM
So not directly Oklahoma related, but this is nuts. I have family in the Florida Keys. They evacuated Wednesday and then got to Disney in Orlando on Thursday. Sounds weird but the Disney Resort hotels are rated for Cat 5 hurricanes and have their own power, water, and even ATT cell towers so are a good place to ride this out. Like Harvey, I feel like this could have an economic effect on Oklahoma because of the oil and gas connection. And Jose is still coming.

Jeepnokc
09-13-2017, 12:42 PM
We rode out Irma in St Thomas. It was brutal and we were finally evacuated by boat Monday night to Puerto Rico and got home last night. The USVI (minus St Croix) and BVI islands are destroyed and it will be a long time before they will recover. Willie T's is up on the beach, the Bitter End yacht club was destroyed as well as Saba Rock. Soggy Dollar, Foxy's Ivan's, Sydneys Peace and Love bar, Corsairs all were destroyed or suffered major damage. Thousands of people lost their homes. Here is a video from when the storm came through
https://www.facebook.com/643724383/videos/pcb.10155970183399384/10155970182934384/?type=3&theater

Jersey Boss
09-13-2017, 12:59 PM
^^ Seems like the news is starting to pick up the stories on the devastation. While the consciousness of the nation seems focused on CONUS, these islands are the responsibility of the federal government. Right now that responsibility seems to be lacking.

Jeepnokc
09-13-2017, 08:26 PM
^^ Seems like the news is starting to pick up the stories on the devastation. While the consciousness of the nation seems focused on CONUS, these islands are the responsibility of the federal government. Right now that responsibility seems to be lacking.

I agree. I was surprised at the lack of news and warnings in advance on TV as well as the response of the government afterwards.

Jersey Boss
09-13-2017, 09:51 PM
I agree. I was surprised at the lack of news and warnings in advance on TV as well as the response of the government afterwards.

Welcome back home. We're all glad you made it safely.

jerrywall
09-14-2017, 09:15 AM
My sister lives on Big Pine Key. They had to get a friend who does aeriel photography to go by and take.photos of her house. It's still standing but a majority of the houses there were damaged or destroyed. It's crazy.