View Full Version : Bringing in Businesses

Luke
09-14-2004, 05:26 PM
As proposed by downtownguy, here's my suggestion for a perfect fit in Bricktown: Grand Lux Cafe.

In Las Vegas I visited a restaurant called Grand Lux Cafe. Don't be fooled by the word "cafe." This restaurant is top notch. Owned and operated by The Cheescake Factory, the original location is in the Five-Star/Five-Diamond Venetian Hotel on the Las Vegas Strip. Needless to say, the cheesecake at Grand Lux is brought to you by The Cheesecake Factory. The decor is grand, Euro-Vegas, Italianesque and very classy. The atmosphere is casual/upscale. In Vegas, one could see suits and ties and shorts and T's at tables next to each other. Grand Lux Cafe would be a tremendous addition to Bricktown. It's fairly new (only 5 current locations), but it appears their market is upscale/trendy seeing as there are locations on Michigan Ave in Chicago, Beverly Hills, Galleria in Dallas and expanding to Houston. What's even better is their prices are very reasonable for the quality of the food and the dining experience - around $10-20 per person. (Their shrimp scampi is to DIE for!) Plus, the Vegas and Chicago locations are both 24 hours. The Dallas and Beverly Hills locations could very well be also.

OKC should jump on this one ASAP.

Has anyone else had the privilege of dining at this wonderful restaurant?

Here are some links:
http://www.venetian.com/dining/dining.cfm?ID=9

Downtownguy, what's the next step?

:)

mranderson
09-14-2004, 05:41 PM
Here is one I would like to see. Emeril's. Owned by Emeril "BAM!" Lagasse.

That would bring some class to Bricktown.

By the way. Nextel is opening the first of three corporate owned stores in Penn Square later this year. That helps a little.

floater
09-14-2004, 07:05 PM
What I would like to see is Emeril and Al Jarreau do some shows together at the Civic Center's Meinders Hall of Mirrors. What a night! Good food, good music, good company!!

downtownguy
09-14-2004, 07:13 PM
The next step is for this thread to continue for a few days. Let people look at the web site for the establishment, and try to get several people to agree to put their names (I'm going to be a hypocrite on this) on a petition to the company. I'll start doing research on the company, and will provide some information aimed at telling them Bricktown (is that where it should be?) is their next ideal location.
- The Downtown Guy
www.downtownguy.blogspot.com

floater
09-14-2004, 07:22 PM
I'll try to come up with others, but this indeed looks like a good fit for Bricktown. Lower Bricktown, to be sure (as with The Venitian, you have the waterway). I'm soured that's there's a Dallas location, but what the hey?

Patrick
09-14-2004, 07:40 PM
I agree....let's look around and try to throw several ideas out there over the next week or so. Then we can try to limit it down to one business to focus on. As downtownguy suggested, we can try to get an electronic petition together, and then forward it to the company of our choice.

Anyways, I encourage everyone......take your time and do some research for a great new Bricktown venue....one we could possibly try to attract.

By the way, thanks Luke for putting this thread together. It's been a busy day for me!

Luke
09-14-2004, 07:55 PM
This is gonna be fun. :)

Another suggestion: Full Circle Bookstore.

Yeah, I know we could write Barnes and Noble or Borders Books, but how bout getting that little jewel of a business to expand to a bricktown location. Currently they are in 50 Penn Place. For those of you who haven't ever been, think the cozy, quaint bookstore in "You've Got Mail". A relaxing place where people can sit and read a book, pick up a magazine or the New York Times, combined with a café and canal side lounging would make this a very popular spot. A little drop of Europe on the plains.

:)
Luke

Patrick
09-14-2004, 08:07 PM
Ditto Luke! Full Circle has to be the most unique bookstore in the metro. It would be a fine addition to the Bricktown area and might not be too hard to attract. After the last mayor's race, at least we're familiar with the owner now....Jim Tolbert. If Nonna's has a lot of success in Bricktown, that might be a good selling card to attract Full Circle to Lower Bricktown. At least it would reveal a local business expanding to Bricktownand finding success. I envision a multilevel book store with cozy fireplaces, a coffee joint, a bakery restaurant with canal dining, etc.

This is going to be fun!

downtownguy
09-14-2004, 08:42 PM
Full Circle is certainly a possibility. Jim Tolbert's heart, after all, is in Bricktown. He's one of its veteran property owners, offices there, and still holds great sway over the area's development. But do you want to bring in Full Circle to compete with a landmark like Taylor's? There probably isn't room for both downtown - not yet.

Or am I wrong?

- The Downtown Guy
www.downtownguy.blogspot.com

floater
09-14-2004, 09:23 PM
In terms of soliciting choices, we should involve Jeff Bezdek of the downtown residents group and get residents' ideas. The advocacy of Downtown OKC, Inc., the city and the chamber will add meat to our collective petition.

Patrick
09-14-2004, 09:56 PM
Maybe we can split these up. floater, you want to try to contact Jeff Bezdek and tell him about our campaign? Maybe Luke can join you on that effort. Hot Rod contacted Dave Lopez before. Hot Rod, are you interested in contacting him again? I can always get a hold of our mayor.

Getting resident's ideas would definitely broaden our support base, and possibly provide more ideas.

Well, you know, we started off OCART by seeking a name. Why not come up with a name for our mission. If we come up with a name, it will be much easier to discuss this matter. Any ideas?

floater
09-15-2004, 07:57 AM
I will contact Jeff Bezdek. Name ideas forthcoming...

Patrick
09-21-2004, 09:14 PM
I think we really need to start putting some emphasis in this campaign that we're starting. I'm going to go ahead and stick this to the top of the page. I think we first need a name for our campaign....a campign to attract a business to Bricktown. First, we need to come up with a name for our campaign. I was thinking maybe we could steel the title of downtownguy's post: "Making a Difference". We can call this "Bricktown: Making a Difference Campaign." Or maybe, Bricktown for the 21st Century. I don't know...you guys have anything better? Let's try to narrow down a name and then we can start discussing again what kind of businesses we may want to try to go after for the Bricktown area. We eventually need to try to settle on one, and then get a petition started. I'd be happy to work on a petition the old fashion way, as well as using an electronic petition. What do you guys think? Once we get to the petition stage, maybe we can get together, go to Bricktown, and try to get citizens to sign it.

floater
09-22-2004, 01:43 PM
Italian restaurant chain prepares to enter metro
by Heidi R. Centrella
The Journal Record
9/22/2004

Heralded as being a chain restaurant without the chain look or feel, Bravo Cucina Italiana is moving into the Oklahoma City market in March at 13810 N. Pennsylvania Ave., adding more than 100 new jobs to the area.
Lease talks should be finalized by week's end.

The 7,800-square-foot restaurant will lend a casual feel to white-tablecloth dining with Roman ruin decor, seating more than 200 people indoors and 45 on the patio.

Bravo has 22 other locations with three, in addition to the Oklahoma City location, scheduled to open in October and November.

"We're on a growth spurt at this point in time," said Nicole Roope, marketing director. "We felt that the demographics, as well as the site at Memorial Square and what they're doing there, fit in well with our concept - the look, the finish, et cetera."

According to the Bravo Development Group's Web site, Bravo has among the highest average unit sales in the industry. The restaurant has been voted "Best Italian" in Columbus and Dayton, Ohio, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh and New Orleans.

All food is cooked exhibition style, in full view of guests. Lunch and dinner will be served daily, from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday.

"All of our food is prepared to order using the highest, freshest quality ingredients," Roope said. "We try to be very authentic in what we do, and with food, our execution is everything. We try to provide a high-quality product in an enjoyable atmosphere with uncompromising service."

The company started as two brothers worked with their mother in 1981 to open a restaurant called Lindey's in German Village, Ohio, and has resulted in the creation of four dining concepts.

Those four concepts - Bravo Cucina Italiana, Brio Tuscan Grille, Lindey's Cage and Bon Vie Bistro - were developed one by one after brothers Chris and Rick Doody graduated from culinary school.

The second of concepts, Brio Tuscan Grille, was created in 1999 and designed to attract a more upscale crowd, featuring northern Italian food. There are 11 Brio locations with more on the 2004 schedule.

In 2001, the brothers opened Lindey's Cafe providing a more casual atmosphere than their mother's original Lindey's. And the latest of Bravo Development Group restaurants is Bon Vie Bistro, the company's first French eatery.

According to the company's Web site, BDI plans to open Bravos and Brios in affluent urban and suburban markets nationwide. Both the existing and new markets will be selected based on demographics, high-traffic and high-visibility characteristics.

Company officials plan to open 12 new restaurants in 2005 and 2006.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This was a concept I considered for Bricktown, but I think we have a glut of Italian there. Instead think its French sister restaurant, Bon Vie, might be a good fit for the arts district:

http://www.bon-vie.com/

I also think the Cosi cafe concept may do well in the AD as well, once the Legacy and Montgomery projects come online:

http://www.xandocosi.com/

For Auto Alley or the Flatiron, what about a Trader Joe's:
http://www.traderjoes.com/

Also for the Flatiron, what about the stylish home furnishings of Z Gallerie:

http://www.zgallerie.com/
This may also work for the arts district, in one of the street level retail places in the Legacy community.

As for Bricktown, I'm leaning toward Dave and Busters, as long as they can pledge a minimum stay. I still think think shopping and diversions are its more important priorities than additional restaurants at this point.

Midtowner
09-23-2004, 01:52 PM
I think chains are being cautious when it comes to Bricktown. It seems like there's such a revolving door with restaurants there. I think the biggest problem facing businesses there is the parking. I guarantee that businesses in Bricktown would do MUCH better if parking were free or less than $5.00. I've seen a few of those lots even increasing their prices. Disgusting.

I'm thankful that it only costs me 25 cents to ride the trolley from my apartment to Bricktown. Just wish the Trolley ran after 8PM M-W.

Patrick
09-23-2004, 02:47 PM
Parking costs doesn't seem to influence chains locating in other large cities. But parking is partially part of the problem here. In the winter months, people don't want to have to park along ways from the restaurant and have to walk in the blistering cold. It seems like the winter months kill Bricktown businesses more than just about anything.

Midtowner
09-23-2004, 03:35 PM
Parking is a HUGE concern in Bricktown though. Another improvement that should be forced should be the complete removal of surface parking except for metered street parking. We need more parking garages down there close to good venues such as the ballpark.

Patrick
09-23-2004, 03:49 PM
Hmmmm.......I'm a little confused. You say that paid parking is an issue in Bricktown. But yet you want more parking garages. Who's going to pay for these parking garages if you make them free?

Midtowner
09-24-2004, 02:55 PM
Patrick, business owners in Bricktown should be aware that their business will be limited by the number of people going to Bricktown. Can you imagine how many more people would go down there if not for the $5.00 parking? I doubt there would be one square foot of unleased space down there if they put up some free garages. Penn Square Mall had no problem building a free garage, I don't see why Bricktown would.

floater
09-25-2004, 10:26 AM
We're still at that stage where people are not used to paying for parking for normal weekend entertainment. I still say, if you've got a decent pair of legs, park at one of the meters downtown (on Park or Main streets) and walk to Bricktown. It's not that far a walk. It's amazing the distance people will walk from the edge of a parking lot into a mall, yet for the same distance, they can walk from the CBD into Bricktown. And when I was back in OKC going to Bricktown every weekend, I never felt unsafe. I'd even dare to say the CBD is safer than mall parking lots!!! And it's visually a much more interesting walk!!

People can park at Santa Fe and pay $2. Or park at any other garage and take the trolleys into B-town.

During the winters, that's where I see the value of paying $5 for parking. But I think Harkin's plan for parking validation, in the mean time, is a winner.

We can't compare Penn Square to Harkins and Lower Bricktown. Penn's management group has a much stronger economy of scale than Harkin or Hogan. They can afford to build to build the garage because they are a much larger company, operating malls across the country. To build a garage, Harkins would have to raise their prices, which they cannot afford to do. Right now, they are competitive, with not much higher prices for a much better product.