View Full Version : Trailer Hitch Receiver Installation

kswright29
07-18-2017, 09:17 PM
A couple of months ago I bought a trailer hitch receiver for my wife's car so she can haul her bike easily with a bike attachment. I've gotten really busy at work and can't seem to find the time to install it. I'm thinking the best thing to do is just take it somewhere to have it installed. Anyone know someplace that will do this?

ctchandler
07-18-2017, 09:24 PM
I have used J & I Hitch several times and I'm pleased with their service. 4119 S Pennsylvania.
C. T.

BBatesokc
07-19-2017, 05:22 AM
I too have used J&I probably 6 times with good results.

The only issue you may have is with them installing someone else's hitch. Don't know if they'll do that. If they won't a small local garage probably will.

rezman
07-19-2017, 05:28 AM
I'll third J&I Hitch. They've been in town for years. Also, U-Haul does installations as well.

Roger S
07-19-2017, 07:36 AM
Every hitch I've ever had installed was at J&I.

d-usa
07-19-2017, 08:17 AM
Do they also sell hitches? I have been thinking about getting one installed, but other than the usual quick look at U-Haul I haven't really done much research.

Roger S
07-19-2017, 08:23 AM
Do they also sell hitches? I have been thinking about getting one installed, but other than the usual quick look at U-Haul I haven't really done much research.

If by "they" you mean J&I... The answer is yes.

d-usa
07-19-2017, 08:31 AM
It seems that by consensus this quickly became the "J&I Hitch" thread :p

I'll give them a look. How to they compare price wise and quality wise to U-Haul?

BBatesokc
07-19-2017, 10:13 AM
It seems that by consensus this quickly became the "J&I Hitch" thread :p

I'll give them a look. How to they compare price wise and quality wise to U-Haul?

I only price compared once or twice. I think u-haul was slightly lower in price (but may depend on the location you call and that was years ago). That said, J&I does this all day long every day. If it's within 0-20%, I'd go with J&I without hesitation.

Just know you need to call in advance at schedule a time and drop your car off and come back. I'm usually pretty lucky and I drop it off and walk to the Braums down the street, eat, reply to some emails and walk back and pick it up an hour or two later.

I put a receiver hitch on every car I buy.

thunderbird
07-19-2017, 10:49 AM
One more vote for J&I. Not that you needed it.

Urbanized
07-20-2017, 11:02 AM
+1 for J&I hitch. Used them for probably hundreds of truck installs in another life, when I was inventory manager for Fred Jones Ford downtown in the early-mid 90s.

GaryOKC6
07-20-2017, 03:47 PM
Most cars are drilled with threaded holes for the hitch. I ordered one for my jeep for around 50.00 and it bolted on in less than 20 minutes. I also ordered the wiring harness and installed in 10 minutes. It may be quicker and easier than you think to install.

kswright29
07-20-2017, 10:03 PM
Most cars are drilled with threaded holes for the hitch. I ordered one for my jeep for around 50.00 and it bolted on in less than 20 minutes. I also ordered the wiring harness and installed in 10 minutes. It may be quicker and easier than you think to install.

Thanks for all the responses, they're much appreciated. I thought that might be the case as well Gary, but it requires dropping the muffler, drilling holes in the chassis, and fishing some bolts.