View Full Version : Edmond council denies proposed development

PUGalicious
10-11-2005, 05:52 AM
From NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/article/1639787/?template=news/main):

EDMOND - Traffic concerns and a chamber full of protesters stopped a proposed shopping center near Hafer Park. The Edmond City Council unanimously denied four ordinances proposing zoning and Edmond Plan III changes at Monday's marathon meeting.

Sooner Land Co. LLC hoped to modify the single-family zoning north of the Spring Creek shopping center and south of Hafer Park to D-1 and E-1 commercial zoning, making way for the Bridges at Spring Creek, a proposed 200,000-square-foot shopping center.

After hours of debate by residents and attorneys, the council said the increased traffic in the area outweighed the possible sales tax benefits the development might bring.

> Read full story (http://newsok.com/article/1639787/?template=news/main)

This is good news for Edmond residents. Recent development in that area has really changed the character of that part of Edmond. It's okay to leave some areas of Edmond "green" and just for homes without having the intrusion of commercial development right up to their back door. Development is not always good, especially when it diminishes the quality of life for the city's residents. I applaud the city council for taking a positive step for their constituents' best interests. There are plenty of other areas that can be developed.

mranderson
10-11-2005, 07:41 AM
I disagree. Everytime I turn around, it seems like these people in Edmond are disputing progress. If they got their way all the time, there would be no progress what so ever. Sometimes, the public does not know what is being done for their benefit. That is why we elect people to public office.

Wal-Mart, strip centers, malls. They are ALL good. If you do not want them, then there is asolution... MOVE!

Karried
10-11-2005, 09:03 AM
I disagree. Everytime I turn around, it seems like these people in Edmond are disputing progress.

Maybe that's why Edmond is so desirable - people don't like to have their homes back up to the dumpsters behind Wal-Mart. We have plenty of strip malls and shopping here - just a few blocks West of Edmond, the traffic on Penn and Memorial is crazy - a perfect example of tons of strip malls and restaurants - it is different though because most homes are not backing up to the busy streets.

I'm all for progress but you have to reign it in sometimes to prevent traffic gridlock and deterioration of the area.

If you do not want them, then there is asolution... MOVE!

People did move - to Edmond and now they are trying to protect the city from becoming what they moved from - what's next - Guthrie Super Walmart?

Remember the song, They Paved Paradise and Put in a Parking Lot - we're just trying to maintain some of the 'paradise'

brianinok
10-11-2005, 11:36 AM
I think the residents made a mistake. They said on the news that part of the area in question is zoned R-4 (even though most is single family), which is apartments. Those resident now may find themselves stuck by an apartment complex. I don't know what happens in the next 20-30 years, but an upscale shopping center would still be an upscale shopping center, and just look at the 20-30 year old apartment complexes in Edmond-- they aren't nice.

jbrown84
10-11-2005, 08:23 PM
It really makes me mad that they allowed the building of ANOTHER Walmart Supercenter against even greater protest, but they said no to an upscale shopping center. Absolutely ridiculous. This was a poor decision. That stupid Walmart development has come in and bulldozed a quarter square mile of trees along I-35 when they easily could have left some around the building and in parking lot green spaces. This kind of shopping center, like the other Spring Creek developments, would have left trees and would have been really nice.

imafish
11-07-2005, 03:22 PM
It really makes me mad that they allowed the building of ANOTHER Walmart Supercenter against even greater protest, but they said no to an upscale shopping center. Absolutely ridiculous. This was a poor decision. That stupid Walmart development has come in and bulldozed a quarter square mile of trees along I-35 when they easily could have left some around the building and in parking lot green spaces. This kind of shopping center, like the other Spring Creek developments, would have left trees and would have been really nice.

I was wondering what people thought about the new Walmart on I35. Although it might turn out to be convienent to some in the area I think it will be an eye sore. I agree with jbrown, it would better to have some sort of unique shopping center along the lines of spring creek with a whole foods market. People move to Edmond to get out of the city. Maybe I am just a country girl at heart but I would rather see trees than a walmart

jbrown84
11-07-2005, 11:40 PM
Thank you imafish. This whole thing is ridiculous. When my family moved to Edmond 12 years ago from Hefner and Council, we did it because of the TREES. We do not need another Walmart in Edmond. And I have decided I will never buy a thing in that Walmart. I'm going to boycott. Target is just as close and so much nicer.

Boo Walmart. You tree killers. The least they could have done is left a belt of trees between the parking lot and the frontage road. If you go to The Woodlands outside of Houston, all their development along the interstate are like that and it looks so nice. Even that warehouse just south of the old Papa's Little Italy at Hefner and 35 left a nice swath of trees between it and the interstate.

Curt
11-08-2005, 04:37 AM
From NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/article/1639787/?template=news/main):

This is good news for Edmond residents. Recent development in that area has really changed the character of that part of Edmond. It's okay to leave some areas of Edmond "green" and just for homes without having the intrusion of commercial development right up to their back door. Development is not always good, especially when it diminishes the quality of life for the city's residents. I applaud the city council for taking a positive step for their constituents' best interests. There are plenty of other areas that can be developed.
Well Scribe..hell must have frozen over because you and I finally agree on something here..LOL. Not that my opinion matters here but I do like Edmond the way it is..it is what keeps me as a tourist comming back..sometimes progress isnt so nice and the people of Edmond need to hang on to what "green" land they have left..trust me and if anyone feels any different come live in the big city for awhile..you will want to go back home.. excuse me here..but screw WALMART..when they moved into my folks town it really screwed up the up north atmosphere people liked and what they went up north for..to get away from all that.

TheImmortal
11-12-2005, 10:59 PM
I personally wish they would just demolish or remodel bryant square and do something unique with it kind of like they did with memorial square over by Quail Springs. Bryant Square is a major eyesore to Edmond IMO.