View Full Version : any recommendations for an Internet Service Provider (ISP)?

Former_MCC
07-14-2017, 08:37 AM
I'm looking for a company in Edmond that will provide good internet connection to my home. I don't need TV or home phone, just internet. Any recommendations? :)

jerrywall
07-14-2017, 08:50 AM
As far as I know there are two options...

AT&T and COX.

Can't recommend either.

stile99
07-14-2017, 08:57 AM
Pick your poison. Company one has complete crap customer service and relatively slow speeds. Company two has complete crap customer service and relatively faster speeds. Both also offer gigawhatever 'service' in a very small number of areas. If your address can get one of those, get that one. If it can't, then bend over, grab your ankles, and think of England.

FighttheGoodFight
07-14-2017, 08:59 AM
As far as I know there are two options...

AT&T and COX.

Can't recommend either.

Can't be said any better than this.

I choose Cox for ping reasons for my online gaming habits but both are pretty bad.

shawnw
07-14-2017, 09:18 AM
I cut the cord a few years ago. I recently cut the Cox. I bought a router that has WISP support and use my phone's tethering as my WAN (you can also keep your current router and pick up a $25 device that plugs into your WAN port and bridges you with WISP mode). So I'm no longer paying $70 to cox and $70 to TMo. TMo gives you full speed up to 32GB, then you still get full speed but are "deprioritized", which is not the same as throttled. I've only noticed a couple times of hiccups. I looked at my usage trends for Cox and it was at around 100GB a month going back a couple years. Also, when I talked to folks at the TMo store, they showed me their boss' data usage, and he was up at 500GB a month on his TMo. Anyway, that sold it for me. I happen to not need internet on when I'm not home so that works for me. If I did need internet on at home when I was gone, there's an option of tethering from a TMo tablet which doesn't count as a phone line but still gets a network sim. I may still go that route at some point, but for now, being my own WISP is working decently, and I'm only paying for internet once.

Former_MCC
07-14-2017, 09:20 AM
Good answers! And I've had both of those companies... still have one as a matter of fact! Looking for other options. In Ponca City, for example, you can get just the internet service by microwave antenna. Not a bad price and pretty good service.... at least the owners and managers would talk nice to their customers and they cared! Was hoping there was such a service in Edmond.

shawnw
07-14-2017, 09:23 AM
If you have a clear line of sight, you can actually use a WISP in the OKC metro, which is AtLink. I talked to them and the main issue is that my apartment building would have to approve my antenna which won't happen, but if you're in a house, especially in certain areas, AtLink is great. Have a friend who has been on it 5 years.

FighttheGoodFight
07-14-2017, 09:37 AM
If you have a clear line of sight, you can actually use a WISP in the OKC metro, which is AtLink. I talked to them and the main issue is that my apartment building would have to approve my antenna which won't happen, but if you're in a house, especially in certain areas, AtLink is great. Have a friend who has been on it 5 years.

Curious about this. What is the upload speed or is the Ping extremely high?

150 install isn't bad.

shawnw
07-14-2017, 09:42 AM
I'd have to ask my friend that has AtLink, but you can also just call them. The folks I talked to were extremely friendly and accessible.

FighttheGoodFight
07-14-2017, 09:43 AM
I'd have to ask my friend that has AtLink, but you can also just call them. The folks I talked to were extremely friendly and accessible.

Just dropped them an email. I'll post my results here.

FighttheGoodFight
07-14-2017, 11:40 AM
Not so great with AtLink.

Basic-1.5 mbps up and down-$44
Advance-3 mbps down and 1.5 mbps up-$50
Gamer's Choice-3 mbps down and up-60
Elite-5 mbps down and 3 mbps up-$70
Extreme-6 mbps down and up-$85

As far as the ping, we would not know that until a technician was there to test the signal in person. Since we work based off of line of sight, it will depend on the signal strength.

shawnw
07-14-2017, 02:24 PM
Ah. My friend lives in Blanchard so that's probably comparatively great vs his other options.

ctchandler
07-14-2017, 08:46 PM
My first broadband was Airosurf (http://130.211.215.234/plans/) and it was very good but when AT&T DSL became available it was quite a bit cheaper. Now, it appears that Airosurf is competitive. It's a local guy that owns it and I think you should check it out. It's a line of site system but I'm sure you are in the area.
C. T.

Martin
07-14-2017, 09:42 PM
this might affect a limited number of people on here, but just today i received an email survey from oec regarding internet service... it seems like they're exploring the idea of offering internet and possibly cable tv and phone within their coverage area. now... where, when, and if they'll deploy this is anybody's guess... but if they do offer it where i live, i won't be able to ditch cox fast enough. i won't say that their product is completely bad, but all the games with billing and data quotas have really turned me off of them.

FighttheGoodFight
07-15-2017, 07:26 PM
this might affect a limited number of people on here, but just today i received an email survey from oec regarding internet service... it seems like they're exploring the idea of offering internet and possibly cable tv and phone within their coverage area. now... where, when, and if they'll deploy this is anybody's guess... but if they do offer it where i live, i won't be able to ditch cox fast enough. i won't say that their product is completely bad, but all the games with billing and data quotas have really turned me off of them.

That sounds interesting.

rezman
07-16-2017, 07:07 AM
My first broadband was Airosurf (http://130.211.215.234/plans/) and it was very good but when AT&T DSL became available it was quite a bit cheaper. Now, it appears that Airosurf is competitive. It's a local guy that owns it and I think you should check it out. It's a line of site system but I'm sure you are in the area.
C. T.

When we lived out by Arcadia, we also had Airosurf and it worked well. ATT DSL & Cox weren't available out there at that time. They still may not be but I'm not sure. We were up on a hill and our reciever was in the attic and the relay antenna just happend to be on our neighbors acreage. The price was very reasonable too.

ctchandler
07-16-2017, 08:53 PM
When we lived out by Arcadia, we also had Airosurf and it worked well. ATT DSL & Cox weren't available out there at that time. They still may not be but I'm not sure. We were up on a hill and our reciever was in the attic and the relay antenna just happend to be on our neighbors acreage. The price was very reasonable too.

Rezman,
The Airosurf system is a "Line of site" system. He had a location at River Oaks Golf course and a couple of others. I had an antenna on my roof.
C. T.

rezman
07-17-2017, 07:27 PM
Rezman,
The Airosurf system is a "Line of site" system. He had a location at River Oaks Golf course and a couple of others. I had an antenna on my roof.
C. T.

C.T. Yes, I know what the system was. The tower on our neighbors property, which was more like a very tall ham radio tower with about 6 guy wires and a semi dish on top, picked up the signal from another tower over by 2nd & I-35 .
The box in our attic pulled the wireless signal from the tower. We had no external antenna.

traxx
07-18-2017, 08:05 AM
Both also offer gigawhatever 'service' in a very small number of areas.

Cox is a whole lot less serious about offering gigawhatever since Google Fiber seems to no longer be a threat in the area.

HangryHippo
07-18-2017, 08:45 AM
Cox is a whole lot less serious about offering gigawhatever since Google Fiber seems to no longer be a threat in the area.

Which irritates the hell out of me. We really needed Google Fiber just to get the other two companies off their asses.

Thomas Vu
07-18-2017, 09:04 AM
Which irritates the hell out of me. We really needed Google Fiber just to get the other two companies off their asses.

They did in the sense that gigabit ethernet is being offered. Feel like expansion did slow down since.