View Full Version : House of Hunan (best Egg Foo Young)

Bee
06-22-2017, 04:20 PM
I used to frequently go to House of Hunan in Edmond, but after a little roach incident I stopped going. They had the absolute best egg foo young. The foo young sauce was dark brown and they'd perfectly burn the edges and sigh. I hated that I couldn't find any place that was making something similar so I recently decided that I'd shrug off the roaches and get me some and it seems they've closed :(

Anyone have any suggestions for some of their favorite egg foo young around here? Or anyone who frequented HOH and knows where I may find something similar?

Thank you!

TheTravellers
06-22-2017, 06:46 PM
I'll second this request, wife loves it and can't find a "good one" anywhere (I don't like it, so have no idea what qualities a "good one" has).

corwin1968
06-22-2017, 07:20 PM
Agreed on the Egg Foo Young! They also had the best hot & sour soup I've ever eaten. My wife and I ate there quite often and were very disappointed when it closed. We have not found a restaurant to replace House of Hunan.

This thread title got me excited, thinking they had re-opened somewhere.

ctchandler
06-22-2017, 09:11 PM
I realize it's a little too far, but China House in Midwest City has the Foo Young that I have always loved. It's Americanized, but that's what my late wife and I enjoyed in the 60's and 70's. I have eaten it in London and it was very dry. I like the gravy and they provide the Foo Young with a bowl of gravy.
C. T.

corwin1968
06-23-2017, 06:37 AM
I forgot to mention that House of Hunan had the same cook for over 20 years, which is probably one reason the food was so consistently good. We could tell when he had the day off because the food was always slightly different. When they closed, i told my wife that they would be unlikely to ever re-open but even if they did, there is very little chance their cook would still be available.

Also, is there an edit post function that I'm not seeing?

TheTravellers
06-23-2017, 10:04 AM

Also, is there an edit post function that I'm not seeing?

There is an "Edit post", it's just to the left of "Reply", but it's only good for a certain amount of time after the original post (don't know how long, though, a few hours maybe).

corwin1968
06-23-2017, 04:35 PM
There is an "Edit post", it's just to the left of "Reply", but it's only good for a certain amount of time after the original post (don't know how long, though, a few hours maybe).

Thanks! Didn't realize that.

corwin1968
08-04-2017, 11:57 AM
There is a Pho and Sushi restaurant going in where House of Hunan used to be.