View Full Version : Estate Sale Organizers

Bill Robertson
06-20-2017, 04:43 PM
Does anyone know of someone trustworthy who will hold a smaller estate sale. I don't want to do it myself and I'm having a bit of a time finding anyone to hold an estate sale for mom's house. It's a 1200ish sq ft house and no one is interested in one so small. There is some nice furniture, dishes, collectibles, etc. so there's some money to be made. Not as much as a 5000 ft Nichols Hills home but some. Help!

rezman
06-20-2017, 06:16 PM
You might call Robert Hawks. He's a long time autioneer here in Okc who does all kinds of sales. Not sure if he does estate sales, but I bet he could steer you in the right direction.... 947-0702. I do know Edmond Antiques does estate sales, but I'm not sure of their limitations.... 471-5555.

Midtowner
06-20-2017, 06:41 PM
That guy's still around? I used to sell things to him on the regular back in HS and college in my old retail job.

rezman
06-20-2017, 07:10 PM
I went to a lot of his sales back in 90's and early 2000's. I would think he's in his mid 60's or so by now. Young enough to still be in action. I really enjoyed his sales. He was personable and he kept his cadence slow enough that you could understand what he was saying and what the bidding was doing. He was never a jerk like some other autions I've been to. And he did sales of all sizes.

Bill Robertson
06-21-2017, 10:31 AM
Thanks. I'll give him a call.

Zuplar
06-21-2017, 10:46 AM
I've used Ken Carpenter before. Very nice and upfront with expectations. He does all sorts of stuff including estate auctions, but I've only used him for his consignment. Very painless.

http://www.kencarpenterauction.com/

sgt. pepper
06-21-2017, 12:53 PM
I have been to several of Ken Carpenter's to buy, never used him, but I really like his auctions...always very organized.

Bill Robertson
06-22-2017, 11:35 AM
I'll call him also.

Bunty
06-23-2017, 02:15 PM
Does anyone know of someone trustworthy who will hold a smaller estate sale. I don't want to do it myself and I'm having a bit of a time finding anyone to hold an estate sale for mom's house. It's a 1200ish sq ft house and no one is interested in one so small. There is some nice furniture, dishes, collectibles, etc. so there's some money to be made. Not as much as a 5000 ft Nichols Hills home but some. Help!
After deciding a sales company was too expensive with a long wait before it could arrange a sale, I got a helper, by brother's girlfriend, and after several weekends of sales I made $4000 after paying the helper a bit over $1000. The sales company would have charged $500 set up fee, $250 for advertising, hold only one weekend of sales and, I think, take 33% for each item sold. I thought it was a little odd and counterproductive that the sales company would close down from 12 to 12:30 for lunch. At the end, the house would be cleared of what wasn't sold. So I hope I did better, even though I hadn't done something like that before. As for getting the house and garage cleared, the construction company doing the remodeling is going to finish that. Someone at my sale said he ended up owing the sales company money after it cleared his house.

I attended a sale that sales company was holding in my neighborhood last Saturday. When I left, prices had dropped to 50% off, and there was still some attractive stuff left, like two large leather chairs for $75 for both of them, a beautiful, like new, china cabinet for $125, and white Frankoma plates for $5 each. One novelty item was a large old coin operated Wurlitzer jukebox for $1500. An old man bought it for $750 soon after it went half price. So it seems there is some gamble from NOT doing a sale yourself.