View Full Version : Lake Overholser

ChrisHayes
06-01-2017, 08:11 PM
With all the housing developments going in around Lake Overholser, the city should really look into creating more entertainment/recreation around the lake. I don't want it to be like Lake Hefner, but there's gotta be ways to make it more recreation friendly. I'd start by looping a bike/running trail around the entire lake. I saw where they're raising and leveling off some dirt on the north side of the lake when I drove around it earlier.

OKCisOK4me
06-02-2017, 03:21 AM
There already is a cycling path around Overholser but more than half of it is "share the road".

ChrisHayes
06-02-2017, 03:22 AM
I know. But there's plenty of room around much of the lake where a dedicated path could be built.

Mike_M
06-02-2017, 08:03 AM
I've lived in this area my whole life and never had any idea how nice Lake Overholser actually was. I always approached it from 10th and Overholser Drive and always found it to be pretty underwhelming . But last weekend I decided to explore it from 39th Street and drive around to Route 66 Park, and it's really an enjoyable little lake, not to mention all the really nice homes tucked away on the west side. I'd be wary of overdeveloping the area. If anything, I would build Route 66 Park into it's own Wheeler/Blue Garten type of development. Less restaurant/commercial space, more recreation/food truck activity.

rezman
06-02-2017, 09:17 AM
I rode the scooter around Lake O this past Tuesday. First time in quite a while. I was surprised to see the apartment complex that was built at the northwest corner at 36th St. I hope the area around the lake doesn't get over developed. It still has that rural feel to it and hope it stays that way.

Joe Kimball
06-06-2017, 09:40 AM
As far as a path around the lake proper, I can't imagine that being built with any expediency since cyclists generally take the adjacent road around Hefner, due to pedestrians and a few tight turns not conducive to a swift and safe lap.

Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if things were considered "stable" at that lake. It's not incredibly deep, it's off the supply line most of the time except peak usage, and it has that rural thing going for it.

White Peacock
06-09-2017, 09:35 AM
I rode the scooter around Lake O this past Tuesday. First time in quite a while. I was surprised to see the apartment complex that was built at the northwest corner at 36th St. I hope the area around the lake doesn't get over developed. It still has that rural feel to it and hope it stays that way.

I'm afraid of it losing its charm as more people discover how nice it is and start developing the land surrounding it. I'm not trying to be hipster about it, but its relative obscurity (I had a classmate at UCO last semester, an Edmond native, who'd never heard of it) is what makes it so great. Lets keep the ugly lakeside development to Hefner.