View Full Version : Could Oklahoma City host the NBA all star game?

_Kyle
05-15-2017, 04:34 PM
I was googling it and i saw this :http://newsok.com/article/3345175 but i saw it was from 2009.With all the new hotels being constructed is there any possibility we could host the game in the next 10 years or so?

Colbafone
05-15-2017, 04:44 PM
I will try to find the article I read recently that talked about smaller market sports teams hosting All-Star events, but the answer is no, not anytime soon at all. The NBA required a very specific amount of immediate vicinity hotel rooms as well as convention space, not even counting the basketball venue. And recently they've been playing at sites like Ford Field in Detroit and At&t Stadium in Arlington. From what I remember, OKC is still several thousand hotel rooms away from eligibility. Though the new convention center, and its location, would certainly help.

Colbafone
05-15-2017, 04:54 PM
When Brooklyn held the All-Star game a couple of years ago, there were 1,800 media personnel alone.

dcsooner
05-15-2017, 07:48 PM
NO, Way to limited entertainment and dining options for the NBA. also OKC is simply not "hip" enough for the NBA PLAYER entourages

Laramie
05-15-2017, 09:27 PM
The requirements include an NBA-ready arena--18,00-20,000 seats; 6,000 hotel rooms in four- or five-star hotels within a 1 mile radius of the host arena; also, a transportation fleet and open space in a convention center or other large meeting facilities. Eating establishments in Bricktown or nearby would be required to stay open after 10 p.m.

Oklahoma City has approximately 2,500 hotel rooms in the core with 2,200 more rooms to be added by 2020 . We will be 1,300 short. Our current hotel growth rate may make us eligible after 2022. OKC's new convention center will be available around 2020 with 2 hotels to add 733 rooms (included in 2020 count).

Downtown hotel http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=34292

Previous discussion about this topic in 1212 on OKCTalk: http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=29563

Small markets (under 2.5 million) like Sacramento, Memphis, Portland & Oklahoma City fall short on hotel rooms. The smallest markets to host the NBA All Star Game were Cincinnati, Las Vegas, Milwaukee, New Orleans, Salt Lake City & San Antonio.

ABCOKC
05-15-2017, 11:17 PM
Could OKC host the All-Star Game next year? No.

Could we host it at some point down the road? Absolutely.

Laramie has it right here, the problem has nothing to do with being "hip", its purely logistical. Oklahoma City as it is just isn't big enough to support that many people flooding into town at once in terms of lodging and transportation. Give it maybe 15 years and we'll have tons more hotel space, a new and by then potentially expanded convention center, commuter rail, more extensive entertainment options, and most all of the downtown area will likely be developed.

Brett
05-16-2017, 04:37 AM
The 2017 NBA All-Star game in New Orleans was panned as one of the worst ever. This may have been due to the timing of Mardi Gras. Unfortunately, OKC will never host an NBA All-Star game.

Colbafone
05-16-2017, 08:33 AM
The 2017 NBA All-Star game in New Orleans was panned as one of the worst ever. This may have been due to the timing of Mardi Gras. Unfortunately, OKC will never host an NBA All-Star game.

Well, that's a pretty huge contributing factor. And keep in mind, that All-Star game was supposed to be in Charlotte just months before that, but the NBA switched it just before. Not a lot of time to prep, and I'd imagine most hotel rooms are booked.

pure
05-16-2017, 09:39 AM
FWIW, the NBA was going to use the Marriott NCED in Norman for the media, including worldwide media, IF the Thunder had made it to the finals, this included meeting rooms and also the guest rooms obviously. That's a 40 minute drive to the arena. I guess there just isn't enough availability in downtown to have everyone at one location. I assume they make arrangements when playoffs start with all the team's cities just in case.

Richard at Remax
05-16-2017, 09:45 AM
FWIW To the second poster it has never been held at Ford Field, and in the last 21 years it has only been in a football stadium twice: The Alamo Dome (1996) and ATT Stadium (2010).

As for OKC I could possibly see it happening when we open a new arena down the line but that would be a big IF.

Colbafone
05-16-2017, 10:48 AM
FWIW To the second poster it has never been held at Ford Field, and in the last 21 years it has only been in a football stadium twice: The Alamo Dome (1996) and ATT Stadium (2010).

As for OKC I could possibly see it happening when we open a new arena down the line but that would be a big IF.

Yeah, you're are absolutely right. I thought I remembered them playing it there, but I was way off. My bad.

Bellaboo
05-16-2017, 12:07 PM
NO, Way to limited entertainment and dining options for the NBA. also OKC is simply not "hip" enough for the NBA PLAYER entourages

Westbrook's entourage is his wife, his brother and his parents. But yeah I get the drift, even though I don't think entourage's have a thing to do with landing the All-Star game.

It was stated years ago by David Stern that playing facility and hotel rooms were the basics. OKC lacks in hotel rooms but not restaurants and bars, as the 1 mile radius to the CBD claims 152 according to the chamber.

shadfar
05-16-2017, 12:09 PM
If OKC continues moving forward, one day hopefully. imo.

Richard at Remax
05-16-2017, 12:12 PM
I will say if David Stern was still commish I would say the chances would have been higher. Him and Clay Bennett are best buds

Jake
05-16-2017, 12:43 PM
Like people said, maybe in 15-20 years. But who knows what the All-star game will even look like then.

Jersey Boss
05-16-2017, 01:17 PM
Of course in 15-20 years the requirements for hosting will not be the same as they are today.

Laramie
05-16-2017, 04:47 PM
Of course in 15-20 years the requirements for hosting will not be the same as they are today.

Agree, the NBA All Star Game hasn't changed; however the skill competitions throughout the week before the game has created interest--which requires more venues.

As Jersey Boss mentioned the requirements may be different in the future. Wouldn't be surprised if the larger cities with the domed stadiums take over the event like Atlanta, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Indianapolis, New Orleans or Seattle, they have done this with the NCAA Division I Men's final four.

Las Vegas is building a $1.9 billion, 65,000-seat domed stadium (NFL Raiders 2020) which could become a permanent home for an event of this magnitude.